The White Guardian

[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

Recommended Posts

It was about time for me to release my first planet pack! Introducing... Cyran!

MzMH0Ci.png

Introducing, from left to right: Cyran - Infernas - Dres(remade) - Iltan - Kivlan - Sennim - Protorin - Glacia - Zerto - Crysalis.

The moons in this image are scaled, Cyran is not (otherwise the Cyran in the image would have to be 16000 pixels in diameter...)

So, what do these planets look like?

Glacia

82LPBLS.png

Crysalis

ufucbu1.png

Protorin

hnWJpkC.png

Zerto

0eueSXc.png

Sennim

EDbVbSL.png

Kivlan

2d8IppL.png

Iltan

5cfOUm3.png

Dres

8FOmebc.png

Infernas

OJU9qLf.png

Cyran

vR6XE9M.png

And last but not least, Cyran itself: a large, orange gas giant orbiting in between Duna and Jool. Cyran is unique because due to the decay of radioactive elements in the planet's core, it is emitting enough heat to melt anything that gets too close. Therefore be very, very careful with aerobreaks here, you might find yourself boiling up before you even get close to the atmosphere. This does mean any orbiting station can cut back on the heating fee, of course.

Any more sweet details?

Well, certainly! Check out the (first version of) Cyran's trailer!

 

Features
Version 1.0
- Initial release
- Added Cyran and a bunch of moons
- Added particle system to Infernas
- Biomes for most moons

Version 2.0 (May 25th, 2016)
- Added (partially complete) ScienceDefs
- Updated Cyran to 1.1.2
- Added a remade Dres
- Support for Distant Object Enhancement added
- Support for PlanetShine added
- First steps made for E.V.E support
- Increased the size of Iltan
- Increased size of Iltan's atmosphere
- Increased temperature on Iltan
- Added biome maps to all moons
- Custom ocean textures added to Sennim
- Terrain scatter added to all moons
- Custom terrain scatter added to Sennim
- Fixed atmosphere rim of Sennim being orange instead of green
- Fixed Sennim having an incorrect atmosphere color on the banner
- Official flags for Cyran have been added
- In-game screenshots made
- Moved the changelog to the Readme.txt file.

Version 3.0 (December 26th, 2016)
- Compatibility with KSP 1.2.X.
- Remade Kivlan and Zerto entirely.
- Three new moons: Protorin, Glacia and Crysalis.
- Art pass on Iltan.
- Scatterer support!
- EVE support! (Big thanks to Galileo for letting me use textures from SVE and helping me with the configs!)
- Overhaul on Infernas' particle system (thanks you, SAS123!)
- Many new science defenitions (thank you, MinimalMinmus!)
- Many new biomes to explore and better biomes in general.
- Many other Kopernicus mods are now supported
- Some easter eggs have been added...
- Full KSPedia support!
- New surface textures, using CTTP (like OPM)
- New heatcurve for Cyran, ships now heat up with a certain amount of Kelvin per frame below an altitude of 5 million meters, the intensity scales with distance.
- Cyran now has a (cloudy) 'surface texture' instead of a void.
- Cyran's rings have been overhauled to display the decay of Infernas more realistically (thank you, SAS123!) and a new ring has been added.
- New lava texture on Infernas, as well as a new particle texture.
- Improved scaledversion textures.

And still on the to-do list are:

- Missing Science Defenitions
- Asteroid spawning system

Alright, alright, where do I download this?

Right over on SpaceDock. The mod has been updated to work with 1.2, and support for PlanetShine, DistantObjectEnhancement, EVE, Scatterer and TextureReplacer is included. (Kerbals can remove their helmets on Iltan)

7 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

READ BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD!

If you have any save files in progress, add a config file anywhere in the PlanetCyran folder with the following:


@Kopernicus:FOR[Planet_Cyran]
{
	@Body[Cyran]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 671
	}
	@Body[Infernas]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 672
	}
	@Body[Iltan]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 674
	}
	@Body[Kivlan]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 675
	}
	@Body[Sennim]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 676
	}
	@Body[Zerto]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 677
	}
	@Body[Protorin]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 678
	}
	@Body[Crysalis]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 679
	}
	@Body[Glacia]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 680
	}
}

This will ensure that no crafts move. This patch will be included in the next release of Cyran (3.0+).

Support Cyran?

@JadeOfMaar has created an awesome signature banner for Cyran!

GC4oSgw.png

LINK

Edited by The White Guardian
Something regarding saves in progress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to view the picture.

Strange, it works fine on my end. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably just my browser at work.  I'll try to remember to check back here later.  I love planet packs and the art/design behind them; can't wait to see this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

Probably just my browser at work.  I'll try to remember to check back here later.  I love planet packs and the art/design behind them; can't wait to see this.

Just posted the download link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnnyhandsome said:

Interesting mod, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

Newsletter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnnyhandsome said:

Interesting mod, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!

You can follow the thread at the top, where it says "follow". That'll give you email notifictions wenever new content is posted here. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, johnnyhandsome said:

Ah, the 'newsletter' was a mild joke from a movie.

Ooh, now I get it! :D

Some more related news: I've finally gotten Steam to update my KSP to 1.1.2, so exect updates for Cyran and Arkas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I make a mod for Kopernicus? I tried twice a year ago, but they never worked.

Right now I kinda want to make a Brown Dwarf system with 1 planet since I have absolutely no idea.

I'll stop talking now.

(Also all SpaceEngine textures are broken, so without those. The planet is also going to be a Super-Laythe, with an atmospheric pressure of 0.8 atmos and 890 km in radius.)

Edited by electricpants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, electricpants said:

How do I make a mod for Kopernicus? I tried twice a year ago, but they never worked.

Right now I kinda want to make a Brown Dwarf system with 1 planet since I have absolutely no idea.

I'll stop talking now.

(Also all SpaceEngine textures are broken, so without those. The planet is also going to be a Super-Laythe, with an atmospheric pressure of 0.8 atmos and 890 km in radius.)

Although this really isn't the right place for such a discussion, I've written several guides on how to use Kopernicus.

The planets you describe seem easy to make to me. For that super-Laythe I'd use VertexPlanet and LandControl followed by VertexHeightOffset, and that brown dwarf... it's kinda what I tried to do with Cyran, a gas giant with a superheated temperature curve for the atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nifty

So you're reworking Dres, not 100% on that, but I've never been, so whatever; do you foresee any conflicts with other planet mods? I really like the idea of a pack with a focal point around one planet and how it affects the others in it (gobbling up Infernas etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15-5-2016 at 9:41 PM, Deimos Rast said:

nifty

So you're reworking Dres, not 100% on that, but I've never been, so whatever; do you foresee any conflicts with other planet mods? I really like the idea of a pack with a focal point around one planet and how it affects the others in it (gobbling up Infernas etc).

You are correct, I am indeed reworking Dres. There will be some conflicts with other planet mods, mainly Sido's Urania Expansion and the still in development mod Stock Planet Expansion by @SmashingKirby148 and myself (a collaboration). For instance, S.P.E adds moons to Dres, which become subsatellites with Cyran installed, and subsatellites around Dres in it's current position are against the laws of physics. Therefore I'm making a bunch of compatibility patches to slightly adjust the orbits of planets from other packs when both Cyran and a conflicting pack are detected. So far I'm certain that Arkas, K.A.S.E and Outer Planets Mod will work just fine, I have yet to check if KerbolOrigins, KerbolPlus, UnchartedLands and as soon as it releases, New Horizons 2.0, they may or may not have planets or moons orbiting near Cyran that will need adjusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im interested to see how this turns out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 9:21 AM, The White Guardian said:

It was about time for me to release my first planet pack! Introducing... Cyran!

drDxmh7.jpg

 

That banner is amazing! Even better than actual screenshots.

I can't wait to try out this mod, but it needs to be updated for KSP 1.1.2 and Kopernicus 1.0.4. Then again I may do it myself after downloading, since updating planet packs between game and Kopernicus versions has been so easy these last 3-10 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

That banner is amazing! Even better than actual screenshots.

I can't wait to try out this mod, but it needs to be updated for KSP 1.1.2 and Kopernicus 1.0.4. Then again I may do it myself after downloading, since updating planet packs between game and Kopernicus versions has been so easy these last 3-10 months.

Please don't update the mod yourself. I know you mean well, but I'm nearly done updating it myself. I had to apply several changes, especially regarding the PQSMaterials, but the update will also feature full biome support and ScienceDefs, ergo a major update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Please don't update the mod yourself. I know you mean well, but I'm nearly done updating it myself. I had to apply several changes, especially regarding the PQSMaterials, but the update will also feature full biome support and ScienceDefs, ergo a major update.

I'm excited for the new update. But what I meant earlier by "update" was

  1. Download the mod
  2. Run the mod with Kopernicus 1.0.4.

These days, there's no need to rewrite planet configs for new updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I'm excited for the new update. But what I meant earlier by "update" was

  1. Download the mod
  2. Run the mod with Kopernicus 1.0.4.

These days, there's no need to rewrite planet configs for new updates.

Yes, yes there is. For instance, the material types had to be altered greatly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Yes, yes there is. For instance, the material types had to be altered greatly.

Funny, I didn't need to change anything in my planet's config files when updating Interstellar Adventure Revived...

Also, is Cyran based off of J1407b? The concept art of the planet shows the main details of the Ringworld: large rings and a hot atmosphere due to the planet's internal heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20-5-2016 at 0:18 AM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Funny, I didn't need to change anything in my planet's config files when updating Interstellar Adventure Revived...

Also, is Cyran based off of J1407b? The concept art of the planet shows the main details of the Ringworld: large rings and a hot atmosphere due to the planet's internal heat.

Cyran isn't based off any discovered exoplanet. I was just thinking around, trying to come up with ideas on how to make an interesting planet pack, my goal was to bring something new to the equation, and the result is Cyran, a gas giant where aerobraking is deadly and likely even fatal. The ring system was added along with Infernas, I liked the idea of a debris belt orbiting Cyran, so I added it.

On a separate note, the next update will also feature a remade Dres. I may alter it later, but it's good for now. Whether I'll alter it or not depends on if the community likes the 'new Dres'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyran 2.0 is out at last! I'll soon add stuff like a video and in-game screens, and next on the to-do list are E.V.E and Scatterer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does it change with Dres?
Does it work with Outer Planet Mod/Custom Asteroids?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jansn67 said:

What does it change with Dres?
Does it work with Outer Planet Mod/Custom Asteroids?
 

It changes the appearance of Dres and moves it to orbit Cyran. Since Cyran loads in between Duna and Jool, it's nowhere near the planets from OPM, so the two mods will get along pretty well. I'm not sure what Custom Asteroids is though, I'll do some research on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now