[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

@The White Guardian
 Quick question. Maybe I'm asking in the wrong place, but... How do the ring radius values work? I'd like to know what formula or what situation and unit of measurement are applied to them. Meters, kilometers; semi-major axis, altitude from sea level; scale factors involved with the planet body radius? I'd like to precisely control or at least precisely gauge a planet's ring dimensions.

Spoiler

Because.... Reasons!™ :)

I'd also like to know if I should PM you any further questions or which of your other threads to post them in.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian
 Quick question. Maybe I'm asking in the wrong place, but... How do the ring radius values work? I'd like to know what formula or what situation and unit of measurement are applied to them. Meters, kilometers; semi-major axis, altitude from sea level; scale factors involved with the planet body radius? I'd like to precisely control or at least precisely gauge a planet's ring dimensions.

Reveal hidden contents

I'd also like to know if I should PM you any further questions or which of your other threads to post them in.

I am not entirely certain myself what unit of measurements the altitude limiters of rings use - I usually just guess to be honest. :D

As for the other values, feel free to use the following code:

Rings //Goes directly in Body{}
{
	//You can add multiple rings, just add multiple Ring{} codes.
	Ring
	{
		texture = //Filepath to the texture of your ring.
		color = 1,1,1,1
		innerRadius = x
		outerRadius = x
		unlit = true
		lockRotation = x //true or false, should the orientation of the rings be locked or do they rotate relative to the planet. In most cases setting this to true is best.
		angle = x //Inclination of the rings in degrees relative to the planet's equator.
	}
}

Note: the 'color' doesn't really work that well for coloring a ring, it's best to take your ring texture and import it into a program like GIMP, and recolor it in advance.

As for future questions, the best question is probably the main Kopernicus thread, there are various other Kopernicus experts keeping an eye on that thread that are more than willing to help. I, myself, am also keeping an eye on the thread. If there is any question you'd like to ask me specifically, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Okay, so I recently sent a probe to Cyran in order to land on Iltan and get some pretty pictures, but I quickly noticed something : Cyran is VERY massive. Simply orbiting it at about the equivalent of Iltan's Semi-major axis makes my ship go at more than 4500 m/s, and attempting to orbit one of the moons requires more than 9k delta-v, as I'm going at about 10 000 m/s relative to them (Don't even think about aerobreaking)! Am I doing something wrong, or is it supposed to be that hard?

EDIT : Wait, wait, wait, hold on...my probe is orbiting retrograde relative to the moons. *facepalm*

At least I got a pretty shot of Iltan and Cyran before that probe slammed into the atmosphere at an exceedingly high speed and ultimately burned.

U37Z27X.jpg

The moons look absolutely gorgeous. I just need to learn to stop putting all my probes in a retrograde orbit. Next time I'll investigate Sennim's mysterious color and find out if there's life on it.

Edited by Elowiny

37 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

Okay, so I recently sent a probe to Cyran in order to land on Iltan and get some pretty pictures, but I quickly noticed something : Cyran is VERY massive. Simply orbiting it at about the equivalent of Iltan's Semi-major axis makes my ship go at more than 4500 m/s, and attempting to orbit one of the moons requires more than 9k delta-v, as I'm going at about 10 000 m/s relative to them (Don't even think about aerobreaking)! Am I doing something wrong, or is it supposed to be that hard?

EDIT : Wait, wait, wait, hold on...my probe is orbiting retrograde relative to the moons. *facepalm*

At least I got a pretty shot of Iltan and Cyran before that probe slammed into the atmosphere at an exceedingly high speed and ultimately burned.

U37Z27X.jpg

The moons look absolutely gorgeous. I just need to learn to stop putting all my probes in a retrograde orbit. Next time I'll investigate Sennim's mysterious color and find out if there's life on it.

Retrograde, then you can easily reach Zerto. Pay close attention and you'll see it has a retrograde orbit.

Cyran indeed has a lot of mass and a huge SOI. Then again, it dwarfs Jool by 2 million meters. I never really understood why Jool has less gravity than Kerbin yet a greater volume, that contradicts reality where the gas giants have a stronger gravitational pull, therefore Cyran's gravity is 1.7g's.

Iltan actually gets an overhaul in the next version...

7xOLdGN.jpg<--- a little something I made with GIMP. I love this image!

As for possible life, I wish you good luck! But mostly, stay determined. You might just find something that nobody has ever seen before in KSP, no matter what planet pack...

As an added bonus, here's Sennim in the next version:

6NPJG7I.jpg(Also GIMP)

Edited by The White Guardian

3 hours ago, Elowiny said:

This question probably got asked before, but when do you plan to release the next update? Also, do the moons have science blurbs?

The thing is, I want to get Scatterer working and release a trailer along with the new version. Problem is, something keeps making the Scatterer effects blow up and I have no idea what's causing it. @Galileo has been kind enough to lend me a hand here, but since he's very busy at the moment progress is slow. Maybe either of us will find the problem anytime soon. Either way, it should be here soon.

The moons do not have full science support as I'm writing this, I think I'll add some placeholder defenitions and add to the list as time progresses.

29 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

The thing is, I want to get Scatterer working and release a trailer along with the new version. Problem is, something keeps making the Scatterer effects blow up and I have no idea what's causing it. @Galileo has been kind enough to lend me a hand here, but since he's very busy at the moment progress is slow. Maybe either of us will find the problem anytime soon. Either way, it should be here soon.

The moons do not have full science support as I'm writing this, I think I'll add some placeholder defenitions and add to the list as time progresses.

Okay, best of luck on getting Scatterer to work.

Also, I think all of the Kerbal scientists fainted when my most recent rover landed on Sennim. It's definitively my favorite moon by far!

19 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

Okay, best of luck on getting Scatterer to work.

Also, I think all of the Kerbal scientists fainted when my most recent rover landed on Sennim. It's definitively my favorite moon by far!

Ooh, just you wait for the next update. I'll give you a hint: explore Iltan and Kivlan. The chance of 'it' happening is very small, but it'll give the scientists a heart attack.

@The White Guardian you are an epic tease, good sir. :huh: I'm liking the frosty Iltan concept, and the idea of something all-new hiding among the moons is a definite attraction. Is it safe to assume Iltan no longer (or actually never did) receives ambient heat or sufficient tidal force to keep itself from becoming frosted?

I'm now tempted to assume and believe things I'm sure I should not assume and believe about Sennim.

16 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Would you like to send me the ScienceDefs sheet with what you want for each moon (like ideas for what to write)? I would be happy to write them.

On 18/12/2016 at 4:08 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian

Reveal hidden contents

I'm going to make a very rational guess but it might be the size of the individual pixel

3 hours ago, SAS123 said:

Would you like to send me the ScienceDefs sheet with what you want for each moon (like ideas for what to write)? I would be happy to write them.

@JadeOfMaar made the same offer. I'm still busy with setting up a document to write them in.

On a separate note, @Poodmund has given me a clue as to what the problem could be with Scatterer, I'll start testing and see if I can fix it.

29 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

I'm going to make a very rational guess but it might be the size of the individual pixel

I'm not sure how an individual pixel works out (or in) but you just gave me ideas. Thanks. :D

@The White Guardian Don't discount SAS' offer. More science writers = More Science! :) Oh, you can borrow my blank science templates if you like. Shall I link them?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I've already created files for if anyone would want to contribute science to Galileo's planets. There's a good deal of added documentation inside to help contributors understand how to use the fields themselves. There's a vacuum version, atmosphere version and gas giant version.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Contributors (or the provider) would have to add biomes manually per planet but that's arguably the easiest part.

Alright then, let's give it a shot! :D

Keep in mind that it'll contain spoilers though.

Edited by The White Guardian

On 12/13/2016 at 2:51 PM, The White Guardian said:

Yes, but the current version has a lot of bugs in 1.2.2 which WILL kill the fun. For example I have found that Zerto loves the Kraken.

Don't install it! Not before I update it at least, or the bugginess will send it all to hell! This version is NOT designed for 1.2.2, so problems WILL arise and destroy your safe. Add to that, I made a lot of changes since the last update, so your ships will also get wrecked.

Please wait just a little longer for the update. I think I'm going to delay the ScienceDefs for now in favor of releasing the mod update this very week so you all can at least enjoy it.

One final reason to not install the old version is that I'm adding four new moons - Crysalis, Protorin, Glacia and Haspihpo. The latter two are my entries for KCM 3 and 4 respectively, they may not have won (technically KCM4 has no result yet, but I'll get to that later) but it'd be a shame to leave them to die.

About the KCM, as the project is becoming less and less popular up to the point where the judges consider to discontinue it entirely, I am going to release the winner of KCM 2, my entry Cerillion, as a mod. I put a lot of work into it, so the least I can do is let people play it.

This is Cerillion:

ubn6lEd.png

(Cerillion even has easter eggs to visit, that's the amount of work I put into it.)

Notable lack of download links.

My science definition templates: Vacuum Planet, Planet with Atmosphere Gas Giant.

Sample:

Spoiler

// Change 'Planet' to the name of the chosen planet. Adding a multi-word biome? Insert it without spaces.
	// Example = EveSrfLandedImpactEjecta
	// For biome-specific results, the definition (before the = sign) must end with a biome name
	//   otherwise it will apply anywhere around the planet.
	// You can have a result for 'PlanetInSpace' or 'PlanetInSpaceBiome' if the result applies 
	//   for both PlanetInSpaceHigh and PlanetInSpaceLow.

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[surfaceSample]]
{
	@RESULTS
	{
		// This experiment is biome-specific and only conducted while landed or splashed.

PlanetSrfLandedBiome = 
		PlanetSrfSplashedBiome = 
	}
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[crewReport]]
{
	@RESULTS
	{
		// This experiment is mostly biome-specific. Any situation may be used.

PlanetInSpaceHigh = 
		PlanetInSpaceHighBiome = 
		PlanetInSpaceLow = 
		PlanetInSpaceLowBiome = 
		PlanetFlyingHigh = 
		PlanetFlyingHighBiome = 
		PlanetFlyingLow = 
		PlanetFlyingLowBiome = 
		PlanetSrfLandedBiome = 
		PlanetSrfSplashedBiome = 
	}
}

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

My science definition templates: Vacuum Planet, Planet with Atmosphere Gas Giant.

Sample:

Reveal hidden contents

// Change 'Planet' to the name of the chosen planet. Adding a multi-word biome? Insert it without spaces.
	// Example = EveSrfLandedImpactEjecta
	// For biome-specific results, the definition (before the = sign) must end with a biome name
	//   otherwise it will apply anywhere around the planet.
	// You can have a result for 'PlanetInSpace' or 'PlanetInSpaceBiome' if the result applies 
	//   for both PlanetInSpaceHigh and PlanetInSpaceLow.

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[surfaceSample]]
{
	@RESULTS
	{
		// This experiment is biome-specific and only conducted while landed or splashed.

PlanetSrfLandedBiome = 
		PlanetSrfSplashedBiome = 
	}
}

@EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION[*]:HAS[#id[crewReport]]
{
	@RESULTS
	{
		// This experiment is mostly biome-specific. Any situation may be used.

PlanetInSpaceHigh = 
		PlanetInSpaceHighBiome = 
		PlanetInSpaceLow = 
		PlanetInSpaceLowBiome = 
		PlanetFlyingHigh = 
		PlanetFlyingHighBiome = 
		PlanetFlyingLow = 
		PlanetFlyingLowBiome = 
		PlanetSrfLandedBiome = 
		PlanetSrfSplashedBiome = 
	}
}

I'll start filling it in with the defs I aleady have and the biomes as soon as I finished a little scaledversion overhaul (I'm overlaying a polar-corrected version of @CaptRobau's amazing CTTP textures onto the scaledversion textures to create a nice noise texture. I have yet to see in-game if they have the desired result)

If you need a few blurbs, I'd be willing to contribute, for sure!

Just for the lulz, here are my takes for "flying low over Cyran":

Crew report: You start to feel less solid an more gaseous than before.

EVA report: AAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!

Thermometer: The thermometer is very confident this was suicide

Barometer: The barometer doesn't respond, I think it burned. SCIENCE!

Spectro-variometer: Just before the loss of signal, you detect a large quantity of "bad idium"

Goo: the goo seems to hate this place!

Material bay: You try to analyze a moltenn slag before realizing it's part of the casing

Gravioli: The gravity meter appears to detect positive graviolis.Dang.

1 minute ago, MinimalMinmus said:

If you need a few blurbs, I'd be willing to contribute, for sure!

Just for the lulz, here are my takes for "flying low over Cyran":

Crew report: You start to feel less solid an more gaseous than before.

EVA report: AAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!

Thermometer: The thermometer is very confident this was suicide

Barometer: The barometer doesn't respond, I think it burned. SCIENCE!

Spectro-variometer: Just before the loss of signal, you detect a large quantity of "bad idium"

Goo: the goo seems to hate this place!

Material bay: You try to analyze a moltenn slag before realizing it's part of the casing

Gravioli: The gravity meter appears to detect positive graviolis.Dang.

Hahaha, that's pretty close to what I had in mind!

Because of the atmo temperature, defenitions below FlyingHigh aren't even necessary!

Also, thanks for the offer!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.