[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

34 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

What I meant was "The first may exist but I doubt the other does".

there is a planet which has a surface temparature of 7,233 K (Kepler-70b) and may have been the core of a gas giant. It orbits its star about 0.006 AU (898,000 Km; 558,000 Mi) from the surface of its star and has an orbital period of about 5.76 hours.

there is also a planet with rings about 1.2 AU in diameter (For comparison the distance to earth from its sun is 1 AU). The planets name is J1407 b.

Edited by SAS123

16 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I presume nobody has noticed anything unusual about Kivlan?

Okay, it's nearly impossible to see in the images released thus far, but Kivlan has some unique geological features.

Forgot I mentioned it a while ago. :wink:

Rivers?

13 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Bingo. Haven't seen 'em up-close myself yet, but they appear on the normals which are derived from the actual terrain, thus you bet they're there.

I'm good XD Saw one little river on the left centre of a continent of Kivlan.

EDIT: On the pictures showing what they look like from space.

Edited by SAS123

11 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

I'm good XD Saw one little river on the left centre of a continent of Kivlan.

EDIT: On the pictures showing what they look like from space.

I got my planets mixed up XD

26 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Does it screw up any of @Xenonclave's planets, especially Mios? Me want, but I need Xen's stuff to live, so...

Will have to test that to be certain, but I see absolutely no reason at all why the two can conflict with one another. Then again, I haven't checked out Xen's planets yet... :blush:

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Will have to test that to be certain, but I see absolutely no reason at all why the two can conflict with one another. Then again, I haven't checked out Xen's planets yet... :blush:

No, will their orbits intersect?

EDIT : Cryan crashes the game at save load with Xen's on, but about 50 other mods as well. I'll get back to you on that

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

19 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

No, will their orbits intersect?

EDIT : Cryan crashes the game at save load with Xen's on, but about 50 other mods as well. I'll get back to you on that

Gonna have to test that. I've noticed an issue with @Galileo's planet pack, it works by deleting the entire stock system including 'Dres', to which Cyran says this.

So I'm gonna have to write a quick patch that re-adds Dres to Cyran after GPP is activated in such a way that it doesn't conflict with the planet pack itself. Shouldn't be too hard.

As for Cyran crashing the game, maybe that's because it's outdated. It's not supposed to work in the current version, so please, don't look for the issue on an outdated version. Wait until the updated version, if the issue persists, then start digging, otherwise you may be trying to solve an issue that has already been solved.

About Xen's planet, I just downloaded the all-in-one version, I'll see how the orbits relate and make adjustments through an automatic config if necessary. Ergo, if Cyran detects Xen's mods, it'll act automatically.

Edited by The White Guardian

13 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Gonna have to test that. I've noticed an issue with @Galileo's planet pack, it works by deleting the entire stock system including 'Dres', to which Cyran says this.

So I'm gonna have to write a quick patch that re-adds Dres to Cyran after GPP is activated in such a way that it doesn't conflict with the planet pack itself. Shouldn't be too hard.

As for Cyran crashing the game, maybe that's because it's outdated. It's not supposed to work in the current version, so please, don't look for the issue on an outdated version. Wait until the updated version, if the issue persists, then start digging, otherwise you may be trying to solve an issue that has already been solved.

About Xen's planet, I just downloaded the all-in-one version, I'll see how the orbits relate and make adjustments through an automatic config if necessary. Ergo, if Cyran detects Xen's mods, it'll act automatically.

Notably, most if not all 1.1.x planet packs work in 1.2.x with the corresponding Kopernicus version.

11 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

an issue with @Galileo's planet pack

On the subject of GPP I must inform you that Cyran's SMA (if it's still 37.5 Gm) is below, and creeping on the SMA of Gratian (39.1 Gm) the last of the rocky planets. I recommend that you raise it to near 56 Gm which is right between the SMA of Gratian and of Otho the first gas giant (72.7 Gm), or between Otho and Gauss (139.8 Gm).

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

On the subject of GPP I must inform you that Cyran's SMA (if it's still 37.5 Gm) is below, and creeping on the SMA of Gratian (39.1 Gm) the last of the rocky planets. I recommend that you raise it to near 56 Gm which is right between the SMA of Gratian and of Otho the first gas giant (72.7 Gm), or between Otho and Gauss (139.8 Gm).

I'll just install GPP and Hyperedit and move with the sliders until I'm happy with the orbit, then copy those values into a patch detecting GPP. No problems.

4 hours ago, Elowiny said:

So, @The White Guardian, what is the new update's status? Is it almost ready to be released, or will we have to wait a few more days?

Almost ready. Here's the current to-do list:

-Compile the sciencedefs

-Finish compatibility with some mods

-Fix the heatcurve of Cyran. Thanks to @Thomas P. I now know how to use the curve properly, therefore I'll program it that up to 90% of Infernas' orbit, a certain amount of heat is added to any craft per frame, to a max of 5K/frame at Cyran's atmosphere limit.

The heatcurve seems to work now. Cyran no longer has an atmosphere temperature-height profile, instead thanks to HazardousOcean the planet emits heat, the intensity depends on the distance. Up to 5000km ASL the effect is noticeable. It'll begin to heat up to 2K/frame at the altitude limit, before reaching a maximum of 40/frame at sea level.

Cyran is also the only gas giant with a surface texture (the ocean). In theory you should be able to stay afloat...if your craft techs the 40k/frame heat increasement. That's 2400K/s at 60fps. Ouch.

But if you do manage to get down there, thanks to @Galileo you'll find a dense layer of 3D EVE clouds, with another layer (textured ocean) underneath. This ocean has a hand-made cloud surface texture, so Cyran has an animated cloud 'surface'.

I'm also going to remove Scatterer support from Infernas, the effect is too great for the little atmosphere remaining, and it seems to wreak havoc with the normals.

Speaking of Infernas, getting to it is HARD! You only have a max apoapsis of ~100km due to Cyran's presence, and an atmosphere stretched up to 50km. It does have some unusual features though, I found a few sinkholes.

Also, localized temperature scans revealed that the temperature around Iltan's orbit is indeed around 300K, or at least the last time I checked before I nerfed the heat again, suggesting that the moon is indeed tropical.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

But if you do manage to get down there, thanks to @Galileo you'll find a dense layer of 3D EVE clouds, with another layer (textured ocean) underneath. This ocean has a hand-made cloud surface texture, so Cyran has an animated cloud 'surface'.

So Cyran will be the first gas giant to have an actual "ground" texture instead of the creepy black void all gas giants have? Amazing!

@The White Guardian Cyran is a bare ocean hand-textured and caked in EVE clouds? :) As I just described to someone in a PM, you've brought your own paradigm shift to KSP, even if it's bound to a corner of the stock solar system by default. Cyran is an utter game-changer worthy of an award.

.......Infernas' SOI is only 100km? The nerve of this gas planet!

21 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian Cyran is a bare ocean hand-textured and caked in EVE clouds? :) As I just described to someone in a PM, you've brought your own paradigm shift to KSP, even if it's bound to a corner of the stock solar system by default. Cyran is an utter game-changer worthy of an award.

.......Infernas' SOI is only 100km? The nerve of this gas planet!

That is the entire point of Cyran - provide something truly unique. Every location has been created with that in mind. And I'm very, very happy that I succeeded. Maybe I'll redo Dres, Zerto and Glacia one day, but for now they're ready to roll.

Another unique thing that I plan to add is a 'redux' version - regular Cyran, but different. Like Infernas, but icy and with the lava sea being the only thawed area on the poor moon.

I'm also planning to create a pack called 'total rebuild' in which I totally smite the stock KSP system, much like GPP. For example I plan on making Kerbin an orange, dusty sandplanet covered in dunes and mountains, and the Mun covered in active volcanoes with cracks filled with lava.

55 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

So Cyran will be the first gas giant to have an actual "ground" texture instead of the creepy black void all gas giants have? Amazing!

Yes, exactly! In fact, I love it so much that I'll be using it on all gasplanets I make from now on, though I'll make sure no player can reach it without cheating, it'd be kinda weird to have a base on a gasplanet. But to be fair, Cyran actually has a flat, textureless surface hidden below the clouds. The core, perhaps? :D

38 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian The Church says Amen! :D ...But your editing software needs to repent so badly for that pillarboxing and video stretching!

That epic surface texture at 1:55 though, is that Dres??? :o

That was my entry for KCM3, Glacia, now a part of Cyran. 1:40 is Dres.

Also, that's what I get for using Live Movie Maker. I'm gonna try to remake it with better software, but that's a worry for later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.