[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

If you don't mind @The White Guardian, I'd love to include compatibility to Cyran with my W.I.P. mod, Kerbol Galaxy Revamped, Volume 2, as well as ask for constructive criticism on its development. I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to Kopernicus, but I'm getting better. To make it compatible, all I'd have to create is a edit to ensure Cyran orbits Kerbol and not Gargantua (the black hole from Interstellar). Love your work, and I learned from your YouTube tutorials.

P.S. Please make more tutorials, if you don't mind! They are the only way I could have learned Kopernicus!

25 minutes ago, TrooperTK_0421 said:

If you don't mind @The White Guardian, I'd love to include compatibility to Cyran with my W.I.P. mod, Kerbol Galaxy Revamped, Volume 2, as well as ask for constructive criticism on its development. I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to Kopernicus, but I'm getting better. To make it compatible, all I'd have to create is a edit to ensure Cyran orbits Kerbol and not Gargantua (the black hole from Interstellar). Love your work, and I learned from your YouTube tutorials.

P.S. Please make more tutorials, if you don't mind! They are the only way I could have learned Kopernicus!

Hmm... I'll have to think about that. What exactly is your plan with KGR2? Because I've been planning on making a standalone configuration that adds all of my planet packs into a single, second star system, for utilization by modders.

And I haven't been making any tutorials in a while, eh? I'll look into what I can make next.

5 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Hmm... I'll have to think about that. What exactly is your plan with KGR2? Because I've been planning on making a standalone configuration that adds all of my planet packs into a single, second star system, for utilization by modders.

And I haven't been making any tutorials in a while, eh? I'll look into what I can make next.

KGR 2 is a continuation of KGR (obviously) but with more planets and moons, as well as a re-vamped stock system with the same bodies but changed, as well as a ton of new planets and moons.

2 hours ago, TrooperTK_0421 said:

KGR 2 is a continuation of KGR (obviously) but with more planets and moons, as well as a re-vamped stock system with the same bodies but changed, as well as a ton of new planets and moons.

May I ask why Kerbal Galaxy is being revived again? I thought there was already a revamp. So is this the revamp of the revamp?

I hope there won't be a revamp of the revamp of the revamp :P 

39 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

May I ask why Kerbal Galaxy is being revived again? I thought there was already a revamp. So is this the revamp of the revamp?

I hope there won't be a revamp of the revamp of the revamp :P 

The creator of KGR, @TheJangleMandecided to work on a more manageable part pack vs. KGR. I had already began work on my planet pack, originally named Kerbol Genesis - a planet pack just for the Kerbol System - when I asked if I could continue the mod. @TheJangleMan agreed, and here I am.

And hopefully there won't be a KGR Volume 3. I plan to keep it updated and roll out updates ASAP when a new version of KSP comes out.

Any support for Final Frontier?

I think I saw in another of your thread's that you know how to make ribbon sets for your planet mods, but just figured I'd offer my help if you'd like it. I'm in the middle of working through several other planet packs now but I have a sort of "pipeline" set up to streamline the process and can crank them out pretty fast actually. Just let me know and I'd be more than happy to add this set to the list. A planet pack just isn't complete without support for the best mod out there (FF).

Additionally, I think I also might have just mentioned this in another of your threads, so I apologize for spam, but any chance of seeing this on CKAN?

34 minutes ago, smokytehbear said:

Any support for Final Frontier?

I think I saw in another of your thread's that you know how to make ribbon sets for your planet mods, but just figured I'd offer my help if you'd like it. I'm in the middle of working through several other planet packs now but I have a sort of "pipeline" set up to streamline the process and can crank them out pretty fast actually. Just let me know and I'd be more than happy to add this set to the list. A planet pack just isn't complete without support for the best mod out there (FF).

Additionally, I think I also might have just mentioned this in another of your threads, so I apologize for spam, but any chance of seeing this on CKAN?

I'm already working on Final Frontier ribbons myself, but thanks a lot for the offer! :)

I doubt it. I absolutely hate working with CKAN, and add to that, I always try to make my install instructions, included in the ReadMe file in the download, as clear as possible. It should walk people through the entire installation, otherwise they can just ask for support here.

12 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I'm already working on Final Frontier ribbons myself, but thanks a lot for the offer! :)

I doubt it. I absolutely hate working with CKAN, and add to that, I always try to make my install instructions, included in the ReadMe file in the download, as clear as possible. It should walk people through the entire installation, otherwise they can just ask for support here.

Gotcha. I usually only ever deviate from CKAN if I really feel I need the mod, as it keeps everything very simple to check for latest versions, uninstall if problems arise, and report major known compatibility conflicts between mods. Of course, that last part isn't always great for planet packs in general since a lot of them move one or two planets either into other packs' orbits or actually move the same planet the other one's trying to. In any case, I think I'll give this a go. Do you know if it's compatible with Kerbol Origins? I think it was Cerillion that gets a little close to some other planet in that pack, but I'm not sure.

11 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Just to ask, as I have CKAN with OPM:

Can I install this cool mod without causing a deathwing-esque cataclysm?

Yes, but keep the following things in mind:

1. ALWAYS back up your saves before installing a mod. Making frequent backups is never a bad idea to begin with.

2. Ensure that no crafts are orbiting high over Dres. I wouldn't risk anything beyond 100km.

3. There is a known issue with in-progress saves and adding Cyran to a planet mix, this is because I did not give them a FlightGlobalsIndex ID for more compatibility. This does mean that the ID list will shift on startup so crafts orbiting other ID-less planets can shift between these planets depending on their load order.

So, if you already have a save in progress, here is how to fix it. After installing Cyran, go into PlanetCyran/Configs/Planets, copy Cyran.cfg and rename it to 'FGI_FIX' (make sure the extension isn't altered, it NEEDS to be a CFG file), then open it with a program like Notepad or Notepad++ and delete everything inside, then paste in the following code:

On 5/12/2016 at 6:21 PM, The White Guardian said:

If you have any save files in progress, add a config file anywhere in the PlanetCyran folder with the following:

@Kopernicus:FOR[Planet_Cyran]
{
	@Body[Cyran]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 671
	}
	@Body[Infernas]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 672
	}
	@Body[Iltan]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 674
	}
	@Body[Kivlan]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 675
	}
	@Body[Sennim]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 676
	}
	@Body[Zerto]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 677
	}
	@Body[Protorin]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 678
	}
	@Body[Crysalis]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 679
	}
	@Body[Glacia]
	{
		flightGlobalsIndex = 680
	}
}

This will ensure that no crafts move. This patch will be included in the next release of Cyran (3.0+).

Speaking of release 3.0+, here is something I've been working on. Excuse the image resolution, this photograph was taken on a laptop while en route.

aOdM5pg.png

That's Glacia you're seeing right there. I wasn't that happy with it's design so I remade it entirely in a GPP-like style, and the result is pretty good I dare say!

I'm also going to see if I can get geysers to work there with EVE, but since my Kopernicus skills are way more developed than my EVE skills this may take quite some time. Another feature planned for the next update is steps for better SVE integration, a second config for SVE users that allows for a huge memory drop when and only when the two mods are combined. This is because otherwise the SVE textures coming with Cyran will activate, with this config you will be able to safely delete the SVE textures folder bundled with Cyran for less memory usage. Original cloudmaps are still a WIP. I've also pushed out a ton of Final Frontier ribbons for all of the locations (save for Glacia because of it's remake, still have to make those ribbons) that will be included in the next release.

In case anyone is wondering, yes, Kopernicus has new ring shaders. Will I use them? No.

The problem is that they are still way too unstable in my opinion and an absolute pain to work with. Not only does Kopernicus downright refuse to apply the shaders to more than one ringed planet, all other rings using the shaders that aren't chosen by Kopernicus to have the shaders are deleted in-game.

So until this feature is more stabilized ring shaders will not be included officially. You are free to tamper with the configs yourself, in that case, change the value 'unlit' to false in Cyran's ring configurations and add the following lines to them:

penumbraMultiplier = 10
useNewShader = true

Don't start barking at my door when other rings using the shaders will vanish though.

15 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

Quick question: Do you pronounce Cyran as "SEE-rin" of "KIE-ran"? I feel stupid for asking this, but can you please clarify?

I actually pronounce it differently myself, but that could be because I'm Dutch. I pronounce it as 'sai-ran'.

Like 'tsygan', 'ts-ai-gan' -> 'sai-ran'. It sounds a bit angry and cool at the same time. :cool:

For the moons, it's mostly syllables.

Infernas -> In-fer-nas

Iltan -> Il-tan

Sennim -> Sen-nim

Kivlan -> Kiv-lan

Protorin -> Pro-tor-in

Zerto -> Zer-to

Only Crysalis and Glacia are slight exceptions:

Chri-sa-lis

Glacia -> Gla-sia

Edited by The White Guardian

Just now, Galileo said:

@The White Guardian

or you can use the geysers on eeloo in SVE for Glacia. OR you can use the Geysers from Argo in GPP :wink: all you have to do is swap the name out

Thanks a lot! That'll definitely save me hours of time and frustration, trying to get it to work for myself. :D

Just now, The White Guardian said:

Thanks a lot! That'll definitely save me hours of time and frustration, trying to get it to work for myself. :D

the textures are the same in both mods so it doesnt matter where you get them from. all you might have to do is adjust the altitude of the cloud layer but that the most you will have to do

@The White Guardian Looks like I have Dutch blood too pronounce them all properly. :) Glacia looks hype-worthy, and is inspiring. Perhaps Cyran's problem is that it has more than one ring node or because it has an actual surface?

@Galileo has a great problem with Kopernicus' ring shader as well. I'd hate to think that problem really is that Kopernicus will only ever render one ring of one planet.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

45 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian Looks like I have Dutch blood too pronounce them all properly. :) Glacia looks hype-worthy, and is inspiring. Perhaps Cyran's problem is that it has more than one ring node or because it has an actual surface?

@Galileo has a great problem with Kopernicus' ring shader as well. I'd hate to think that problem really is that Kopernicus will only ever render one ring of one planet.

The ring problem isn't around Cyran. I actually encountered it when trying to add rings around two separate planets. So the problem is indeed Kopernicus here for some odd reason. I actually talked to @Galileo about this and he pretty much confirmed my suspicion that these fancy new shaders weren't quite release ready after all.

I am having an issue where after I add scatter support to Cyran all of the planets with atmospheres lose their clouds and Iltan has black clouds.

So testing it out even with out scatter support installed I don't get clouds on any other planet and this is the same with and without the changes to the scatter cfg file.

Edited by captinjoehenry

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably just overthinking it, but I can't open any of the heightmaps. I just get an error message. However, I can open the colormaps just fine. I also noticed this in OPM and various other mods. What is going on? (I'm not trying to steal assets, just trying to see what's up.)

EDIT: By overthinking, I mean overthinking the methods to open files.

Edited by Adstriduum

On 3/12/2017 at 2:50 AM, Adstriduum said:

I am probably just overthinking it, but I can't open any of the heightmaps. I just get an error message. However, I can open the colormaps just fine. I also noticed this in OPM and various other mods. What is going on? (I'm not trying to steal assets, just trying to see what's up.)

EDIT: By overthinking, I mean overthinking the methods to open files.

That's because of their conversion. You'll need a dedicated image editing program, photo viewer doesn't know how to open uncompressed DDS textures.

On 1/1/2017 at 7:27 PM, Galileo said:

This is due to scatterer.  Looks like you have the post processing up WAY too high when reaching lower altitudes or you just forgot to set the values for the lower altitudes so you would get a smooth transition from high to low. 

Do you remember how you fixed this? I've been getting the same issue several times with attempts at adding Scatterer support and I can't fix it because I don't know how.

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It's a bit much to write out here. I'll download the mod and fix what I can and send you the new cfgs. Can you just make a list of the problem bodies?

It's not out yet. Click on the rightmost banner in my signature, that's the troublemaker.

Besides, I can't go knocking at your door whenever I have this problem again, I need to learn how to fix it myself eventually. Still, thanks a lot for the offer.

Just now, The White Guardian said:

It's not out yet. Click on the rightmost banner in my signature, that's the troublemaker.

Besides, I can't go knocking at your door whenever I have this problem again, I need to learn how to fix it myself eventually. Still, thanks a lot for the offer.

I can make a video if that helps?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.