[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

55 minutes ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

For some reason, visual mods like Scatterer, EVE, SVE, and the like do not do anything to Cyran or its moons. Is there a fix for this?

Read back a few posts for why the visual mods don't work. A fix will come.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So... I was thinking...

I am rather fond of the similarities of the Kerbal solar system to our own, and I've been promising myself that I'd install OPM when I finish my hardware Instrument/Control Panel as a reward for completing that project. When I first saw OPM, I was kinda turned off at first, that Eeloo had been moved, and made a moon of Sarnus, but once New Horizons got the pictures of Pluto, and Plock was properly made to be a true analog of Pluto, I kinda decided I was cool with Eeloo being relegated to moon status. It had a lot of similarities to a real moon after all, and it worked in that position.

One thing I appreciated, was the fact that Eeloo was left mostly stock. There were some procedural craters added, and texture details improved, but Eeloo is more or less still the same Eeloo. I'm the type of person that is cool with adding new content to, but not taking away from stock.

With that in mind, this mod looks AMAZING, and It's very tempting to break my image of a fairly accurate mini model of our solar system, for the sakes of enjoying this, but one thing puts me off... I definitely appreciate Ceres, and I feel the little dwarf planet (still a planet) deserves more love and respect. I'm glad we sent a probe there to explore it, but I honestly think a lot of people didn't even realize it was there, till only a couple years ago. This is also why I hate when people try to make the claim that a dwarf planet is not a planet... I say it is... It's just another class of planet, like Ice giant, Gas giant, rocky, icy, etc. It's as if the astronomical big wigs DON'T want people excited about exploring our solar system, a place that gets more and more interesting all the time... Ugh... Sorry, tangent there...

So back to topic... I like Dres. I'm not opposed to adding easter eggs to Dres (for example, keeping it all the same, but adding an extra biome, and updating the texture, to add the white spots that were discovered on Ceres), but I more or less would not want to see drastic changes to Dres, and that's where this mod kinda lands on my "I like it, buuuuut..." list. The fact that Dres is completely redone in this mod takes away my feeling of it being a Ceres analog.

I had two ideas that could make for interesting install options for this mod, and I'm curious what other people think. I already know of the mod that adds additional stars and accompanying solar systems. I'm actually thinking of options much closer to home...

The first idea leaves Cyran in it's orbit between Duna and Jool, but does not replace Dres. Instead, the custom moon that is called Dres in this mod gets it's own new and unique name, and Dres then occupies the exact same orbit as Cyran, but trailing the orbit to match the approximate location that corresponds to the L4 Lagrange Point (or it could lead Cyran at the L5 point). Officially, KSP does not support true Lagrange points, but it does support overlapping orbits. I can't remember which mod and which moons it was (I thought it was OPM, but I can't find the pics, and I could be wrong), but I did see one mod that has a tiny moon trailing a larger moon in the same orbital track. I think making stock Dres sit in a simulated Lagrange Point, and making the custom moon bearing it's name into it's own uniquely named moon would be a great option, for people who want to retain stock Dres.

The second option would be a bit more extreme. Basically, one would leave Dres entirely alone, in it's normal orbit, but make Cyran into the theoretical "Planet Nine" (even though I strongly disagree with the consensus of excluding dwarf planets in planet counts... Sorry! Tangent!). That pulls it out of the "core" model system, and places it where it'd actually potentially fit, without making it into something at interstellar distances.

I don't know how to implement either option, to be honest. I am curious if either one of these possibilities seems intriguing to anyone else, and whether alt configurations might be worthy of creation. Though I feel the second one is more in line with conforming to a model of the real solar system... Having such a fun little planetary system be so far away might not be as entertaining, and a Lagrange captured Dres also sounds interesting. Does anyone have an idea how to make this configuration actually work?

Again, very cool mod. I love it, though as I stated, I think you should make "your Dres" into a moon truly your own... Give it a unique name, and consider a simulated Lagrange Point stock Dres. It'll add a cool extra flair into your mod, and people who want to still avoid Dres can still wantonly choose to deny it's existence! :P Just a few thoughts.

Edited by richfiles

9 hours ago, richfiles said:

-snip-

Interesting ideas, and a fair point. I'll include both changes in the next update of Planet Cyran, the second option available through placing a single file in the GameData/PlanetCyran folder.

The main idea with Cyran was making a planet that was not too far out - mods like OPM and Kerbol Origins already have that covered. The inner Kerbal solar system does not leave much room for planet placement though, therefore I chose it's current configuration.

My main idea was giving Dres some love as it is mostly forgotten when it comes to mission planning in KSP. I figured adding a fire giant and a system of diverse an colourful moons would boost Dres' popularity. Then the idea of changing Dres came along, and Iltan was born.

Anyhow, here's what I'm going to do.

1. Update Cyran to 1.3 and give Dres it's place back while adding a new moon ('Driss') to take it's place in Cyran's system

2. Add a configuration that moves Cyran to the position of 'Planet 9', placing it behind Jool, or behind Plock if OPM is detected.

3. Make a brand new mod that gives Dres a not too drastic facelift while adding some new features that should make it a more interesting mission destination.

• 1 month later...
On 2017/8/16 at 9:35 PM, The White Guardian said:

Make a brand new mod that gives Dres a not too drastic facelift while adding some new features that should make it a more interesting mission destination.

A thin grey atmosphere and some lakes of liquid ammonia will explode Dres' popularity! :D

I realy appreciate you taking my idea into account

2 minutes ago, hanhan658 said:

A thin grey atmosphere and some lakes of liquid ammonia will explode Dres' popularity! :D

I realy appreciate you taking my idea into account

I'll think about it, and see what I can do. :)

Spoiler

I thought an animated asteroid belt, sorta like this:

ApogeeSpaceStation.PNG

Would also help boost Dres...

ceres_header_image.jpg
I think Ceres looks rather pretty in this picture! :D

Honestly, Ceres Dres has plenty of potential! Sure, it does look a lot like the Moon Mun, But does Mun have bright white spots begging to have surface samples taken and analyzed? I didn't think so! Also, to quote Wikipedia: "Ceres appears to be differentiated into a rocky core and an icy mantle, and may have a remnant internal ocean of liquid water under the layer of ice. The surface is probably a mixture of water ice and various hydrated minerals such as carbonates and clay. In January 2014, emissions of water vapor were detected from several regions of Ceres. This was unexpected because large bodies in the asteroid belt typically do not emit vapor, a hallmark of comets." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceres_(dwarf_planet)

So then, Seeing how Dres is Ceres Kerbal equivalent...

What of those white spots on Ceres? Dres could certainly use some.

Regarding water vapor... I wonder if it's possible to do an atmosphere that is lower than the highest peak? Basically, the deepest crater would be your ASL point, and maybe have an atmosphere that only goes up 1500 meters (that's just an example). I think Dres's highest altitude is 5.7 meters. That would mean most of the planet would be in vacuum, but deep in Dres's lowest craters, you could have a very thin atmosphere, with he description defining it as water vapor. Just a thought.

Maybe, if we're doing water vapor, we could do geysers? If so, that'd be friggin' amazing'! I mean, it's a biiiiit much, since water vapor is a far cry from a geyser, but if you're wanting to get creative... Who knows? A geyser at the bottom of a crater could potentially explain both the white spots and the pooling of water vapor in a low region, and make for an interesting feature to visit.

Regarding "lakes of liquid ammonia... I think out and out "lakes" is probably pushing it for a largely atmospheres world, however, I think it'd be a really interesting feature to have very shallow pools of liquid that are sporradic and not deep enough to swim in, scattered at the deepest depths of a vapor filled crater, with evidence of geyser or cryovulcanism at the center... How epic would that be... Rather than a lake, a basin of fleeting puddles, being replenished by the liquid beneath the surface, and constantly sublimating or evaporating into that minimal atmosphere settled in the crater basin.

I think the best treatment for Dres, would be a review of everything the Dawn probe has discovered about Ceres.

• 1 month later...

Something about the way Iltan's hurricane is configured causes EVE to crap itself and stop working completely (this includes breaking the effects on stock planets). Tested on a clean 1.2.2 install with just Cyran and SVE (plus various ancillaries, also with stock configured EVE), log is here (relevant bit is right at the end). Deleting the Iltan-Hurricane node from the config file fixed the issue.

Given how long Cyran has been in 1.3 development hell for, it looks like I might be submitting this more for posterity than anything.

Edited by voicey99
Formatting fail - damn you, Reddit!

On 26/10/2017 at 9:16 PM, Lemcal Kerman said:

Is there any way to keep Dres normal?

Just delete the config file of Dres in gamedata and it would still be the normal Dres (It won't orbit Cyran though)

And by the way, @The White Guardian, I'm doing a small mod about planets but I can't seem to manage (Everytime I try to make an ocean and land the game crashes) and I ask if I could use part of your mod configs to help me (OF COURSE THE PLANETS WON'T BE COPIED and all the credit will go to you). Could you please?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Something about the way Iltan's hurricane is configured causes EVE to crap itself and stop working completely (this includes breaking the effects on stock planets). Tested on a clean 1.2.2 install with just Cyran and SVE (plus various ancillaries, also with stock configured EVE), log is here (relevant bit is right at the end). Deleting the Iltan-Hurricane node from the config file fixed the issue.

Here's how to fix Iltan's problem and get Iltan's visuals working too. There's an invalid path in that node.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:55 AM, Nailed it! said:

And by the way, @The White Guardian, I'm doing a small mod about planets but I can't seem to manage (Everytime I try to make an ocean and land the game crashes) and I ask if I could use part of your mod configs to help me (OF COURSE THE PLANETS WON'T BE COPIED and all the credit will go to you). Could you please?

Thanks.

I got a little confession to make.

Spoiler

The first few planets I made were clones of Slate from OPM with literally the only changes being the orbit, the FlightGlobalsIndex, the name and the textures, which were from SE by the way. My first few planets relied on configs I hadn't written myself. I did not publish any of those of course, but they helped me a lot with learning the basics of planet making.

Therefore I'm fine with that idea. As long as you make the changes to the configs significant enough and credit me, I'm 100% cool with it, and wish you the best of luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at Cyran, and I thought: "What would make it even better?". I settled on an asteroid belt, so I wrote a Kopernicus config to add a population of small and large asteroids in the inner ring and another of small ones in the outer ring. However, Kopernicus doesn't seem to allow having multiple asteroid belts on the same body so I've split it into two configs - you can only run one at a time:

The Inner Band - this is a thin but fairly populated ring of asteroids around Infernas' orbit comprised of material recently ripped from the moon, containing an evenly distributed set of asteroid sizes (tending towards large and small), low inclinations and eccentricities.

The Outer Band - A much wider, more populated ring in Cyran's third (or second, depending on whether you count the Infernas Ring as one or two) ring of small objects that have been there for much longer than the Inner Band. Don't be fooled by the high numbers, since they are mostly tiddly Class As, but there is the odd big boulder to go to. Very low inclinations and eccentricities.

I could provide them as a CustomAsteroids config, which allows having multiple 'roid zones around the same body, but it doesn't offer as much customisation (e.g. sizes). I'll do it on request.

Feel free to redistribute these or do whatever you want with them.

Edited by voicey99

I'm not getting the scatterer shading or the clouds to show up with Cyran. I have SVE, SVT, Scatterer, PlanetShine, JoM's Sunflare, OPM, OPM-VO, DOE, and the 2.5x Rescale. I also had Cerillion installed. All of this is on 1.3.1.

Edited by DJ Reonic

8 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

I'm not getting the scatterer shading or the clouds to show up with Cyran. I have SVE, SVT, Scatterer, PlanetShine, JoM's Sunflare, OPM, OPM-VO, DOE, and the 2.5x Rescale. I also had Cerillion installed. All of this is on 1.3.1.

The visual packs within all of The White Guardian's planet mods are obsolete and broken due to how much KSP and scatterer have changed. I've tried Arkas, Cyran and Cerillion within the last few days. They haven't been updated since the KSP version they were made in.

I've gotten clouds to work for Cyran's moons but their altitudes are much lower than I remember. I have some screenshots here.

https://imgur.com/a/H49LV 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 months later...

Well, looks like Kopernicus 1.3.1-4+ finally busted Cyran for good. Now it gives an error on loading Sennim about something deep in the complex part of the configs and refuses to load anything. I'll downdate again, but it looks like Kopernicus 1.3.1-3 is the terminal version for Cyran.

RIP Planet Cyran: 12/05/16 - 11/02/18

11 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Well, looks like Kopernicus 1.3.1-4+ finally busted Cyran for good. Now it gives an error on loading Sennim about something deep in the complex part of the configs and refuses to load anything. I'll downdate again, but it looks like Kopernicus 1.3.1-3 is the terminal version for Cyran.

RIP Planet Cyran: 12/05/16 - 11/02/18

Relax, I got it covered. XD

Kopernicus recently introduced some changes to the 'Procedural Quad Sphere Mod VertexPlanet', which Sennim utilizes. It therefore generates an error. Should be an easy enough fix. :)

Cyran ain't dying today!

1000659_1.jpg

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, EndTraveler said:

can I somehow  get this to work on 1.4.2 with OPM?

As far as I can tell, it isn't going to work with any version of Kopernicus past 1.3.1-3 (including the 1.4 versions) until TWG fixes the terrain gen system, whenever that may be.

@EndTraveler Not in it's current state, but I'm hard at work at upgrading Cyran to a 1.4-compatible version. Part of this update will be reworking the Cyran system from scratch, because I'm not happy with how it looks anymore. So far only Cyran's textures are finished, but I can tell you right now - they are looking pretty good...

@voicey99 The problem is mainly that Kopernicus altered the way that LandControl and VertexPlanet are handled, two PQSMods that Cyran heavily depends upon. Among others, Sennim is the root of the problem, being generated entirely using VertexPlanet. Not to worry though, as I said earlier in this post, and update for 1.4 is well on its way.

Part of this update will be reworking the Cyran system from scratch, because I'm not happy with how it looks anymore.

okay, but please rework dres so that it at least looks a bit more stockalike. maybe a poll to see it it works out?

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.