The White Guardian

[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SAS123 said:

i have to admit, I should have found this earlier. I hope it will be updated soon. I mean i also want to have a look at the code to find out how to do particle effects and the glowing rings.

 

It works in 1.2.2 without an update if your interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

It works in 1.2.2 without an update if your interested. 

Ah cool! Currently I'm doing an OPM Career mode Playthrough but luckily i just realised i have that spare KSP Folder for testing my planets on. Yay i can have a look at the beautiful planets :)

P.S YOU'RE FROM AUSTRALIA!!!?! I'M ALSO FROM AUSTRALIA!!! YAY :D

Edited by SAS123
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if the configs will work straight up as I'm playing with Galactic Neighbourhood and I changed Cyran to orbit K-pol. 

P.S YES IM FROM AUSTRALIA YAY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benji13 said:

It works in 1.2.2 without an update if your interested. 

Yes, but the current version has a lot of bugs in 1.2.2 which WILL kill the fun. For example I have found that Zerto loves the Kraken.

3 hours ago, SAS123 said:

Ah cool! Currently I'm doing an OPM Career mode Playthrough but luckily i just realised i have that spare KSP Folder for testing my planets on. Yay i can have a look at the beautiful planets :)

P.S YOU'RE FROM AUSTRALIA!!!?! I'M ALSO FROM AUSTRALIA!!! YAY :D

Don't install it! Not before I update it at least, or the bugginess will send it all to hell! This version is NOT designed for 1.2.2, so problems WILL arise and destroy your safe. Add to that, I made a lot of changes since the last update, so your ships will also get wrecked.

Please wait just a little longer for the update. I think I'm going to delay the ScienceDefs for now in favor of releasing the mod update this very week so you all can at least enjoy it.

One final reason to not install the old version is that I'm adding four new moons - Crysalis, Protorin, Glacia and Haspihpo. The latter two are my entries for KCM 3 and 4 respectively, they may not have won (technically KCM4 has no result yet, but I'll get to that later) but it'd be a shame to leave them to die.

About the KCM, as the project is becoming less and less popular up to the point where the judges consider to discontinue it entirely, I am going to release the winner of KCM 2, my entry Cerillion, as a mod. I put a lot of work into it, so the least I can do is let people play it.

This is Cerillion:

ubn6lEd.png

(Cerillion even has easter eggs to visit, that's the amount of work I put into it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too late, i installed it on the testing save. While it was a little laggy @The White Guardian, i wasn't there to play with it. I was there to admire the planets and play around with them using KittopiaTech. I found that if you give the particles negative force for the first column (On Kittopia), you give Infernos a curved particle effect that makes it look like its adding to the ring rather than just bruntly having the particles aim straight at Cyran. I also suggest making the particles collidable. And maybe reducing the max amount of particles that gets emitted of from the moon. I mean it literally feels like that it will disappear in a moments notice. But i loved it. Played around with it, generally admired your work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

Too late, i installed it on the testing save. While it was a little laggy @The White Guardian, i wasn't there to play with it. I was there to admire the planets and play around with them using KittopiaTech. I found that if you give the particles negative force for the first column (On Kittopia), you give Infernos a curved particle effect that makes it look like its adding to the ring rather than just bruntly having the particles aim straight at Cyran. I also suggest making the particles collidable. And maybe reducing the max amount of particles that gets emitted of from the moon. I mean it literally feels like that it will disappear in a moments notice. But i loved it. Played around with it, generally admired your work.

Neative force on the first column? Huh, I'll mess with test it and see what happens.

I cannot add a collission mesh to particles. They're particles, not game objects. They're just textures not actual rocks I'm afraid.

I'm indeed messing with the paricles, I've decreased their size but I'll have to mess with the speed settings to get it just right. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SAS123 don't ask me how, but for some reason part of Infernas' particles now move away from Cyran. The angle is off and I'm not sure if I can fix it, but still... guess we take those? :D

 

Also, I've tested and got Cerillion working in KSP 1.2, easter eggs work perfect as well. Prepare for a truly unique planet, KSP users! This thing has several weird geological anomalies, for example canyons that rival Dres' canyon. Will also feature an original cloudmap and my hand-made water textures, that seem to work surprisingly well with KSP's engine. The atmo ramp I made also works surprisingly well! So expect that to arrive this week as well.

 

As for Cyran, I'm doing some experimenting with Haspihpo, so that may not be in the next update seeing as it shares features with another moon and I want both to be unique.

 

If all goes well I may be able to push out an update this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@SAS123 don't ask me how, but for some reason part of Infernas' particles now move away from Cyran. The angle is off and I'm not sure if I can fix it, but still... guess we take those? :D

 

Also, I've tested and got Cerillion working in KSP 1.2, easter eggs work perfect as well. Prepare for a truly unique planet, KSP users! This thing has several weird geological anomalies, for example canyons that rival Dres' canyon. Will also feature an original cloudmap and my hand-made water textures, that seem to work surprisingly well with KSP's engine. The atmo ramp I made also works surprisingly well! So expect that to arrive this week as well.

 

As for Cyran, I'm doing some experimenting with Haspihpo, so that may not be in the next update seeing as it shares features with another moon and I want both to be unique.

 

If all goes well I may be able to push out an update this week.

 
 

Oh yea for some reason Kittopia can glitch out eventually and weird things start happening. Other than edits on PQS mods 'leaking' over to other PQS mods, the particle edit things seems to break after a ton of messing around with it.

 

P.S. I'll personally have a look with it.

Edited by SAS123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAS123 said:

Oh yea for some reason Kittopia can glitch out eventually and weird things start happening. Other than edits on PQS mods 'leaking' over to other PQS mods, the particle edit things seems to break after a ton of messing around with it.

 

P.S. I'll personally have a look with it.

That'd help a lot, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fire-themed giant? Now that's unusual. I would have thought about a "hot jupiter" too, but then of course Cyran's moons would be overcooked too, and their orbit would proably be unstable anyway. Yet, I have yet to see a mod adding a hot jupiter in KSP.

 

Back on topic: This is a very neat mod, and I'll probably download it if gets to 1.2.2, provided it si compatible with OPM. Oh, an any plan to put it on CKAN?

Oh, and is it a coincidence if "Cerillion" ~ "Cerulean"?

Edited by MinimalMinmus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to say that I agree with an earlier post that asked for smaller and less particles coming from that moon (what's it's name again?). As it is now it looks like it's producing the bits, not falling apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benji13 said:

I would like to say that I agree with an earlier post that asked for smaller and less particles coming from that moon (what's it's name again?). As it is now it looks like it's producing the bits, not falling apart. 

I would like to say that i sent @The White Guardian a reworked Infernas. I did some research using the internet and universe sandbox 2 and looked at how bodies really tear up.

About 2/3 of the material gets faster and falls inward while 1/3 gets kicked into a higher orbit. So i added two particle streams with both curving depending if its going inward or outward. I also added a ring half the size of the inner one for the 1/3 material being kicked into a slightly higher orbit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

A fire-themed giant? Now that's unusual. I would have thought about a "hot jupiter" too, but then of course Cyran's moons would be overcooked too, and their orbit would proably be unstable anyway. Yet, I have yet to see a mod adding a hot jupiter in KSP.

 

Back on topic: This is a very neat mod, and I'll probably download it if gets to 1.2.2, provided it si compatible with OPM. Oh, an any plan to put it on CKAN?

Oh, and is it a coincidence if "Cerillion" ~ "Cerulean"?

The entire thing that Cyran is built around is uniqueness. I wanted to create a planet pack that truly provided something unique rather than just another planet cluttering up the system. No, Cyran is here and won't go down without a fight.

As for a hot jupiter, check New Horizons by @KillAshley, I am uncertain if the planet is still in-game after the latest updates, but it used to have a planet called Moh close to the Sun.

Cyran is fully compatible with OPM, in fact, I've talked with @CaptRobau about this, and I'm glad to announce that Cyran will be one of the first packs to start using the CTTP system, like OPM. Ergo, both planet packs use the same texture database, so they are in fact very compatible. Cyran is placed in between Duna and Jool and edits Dres, OPM works beyond Jool and edits Eeloo. Therefore the mods work like a charm together, I have in fact tested this numerous times given the popularity and quality of OPM, it'd be a shame if the mods would be incompatible.

I have no plans of adding it to CKAN right now, for a few reasons:

1. I have absolutely no idea how CKAN works.

2. It's as easy as dropping a single folder in the correct location, and the readme file will walk you through it entirely.

3. If CKAN messes up the install people will obviously start reporting errors here which I cannot solve due to my lack of CKAN knowledge.

 

Maybe in the future, when I know more of CKAN, it'll be added there. After all, it's hosted on SpaceDock so CKAN should be able to access it.

Also, as for Cerillion's name, I was basically trying to think up a cool, yet somewhat 'alien-ish sci-fi like'. It's name is from 'centurion' and 'cerullean' indeed.

 

9 hours ago, Benji13 said:

I would like to say that I agree with an earlier post that asked for smaller and less particles coming from that moon (what's it's name again?). As it is now it looks like it's producing the bits, not falling apart. 

 

3 hours ago, SAS123 said:

I would like to say that i sent @The White Guardian a reworked Infernas. I did some research using the internet and universe sandbox 2 and looked at how bodies really tear up.

About 2/3 of the material gets faster and falls inward while 1/3 gets kicked into a higher orbit. So i added two particle streams with both curving depending if its going inward or outward. I also added a ring half the size of the inner one for the 1/3 material being kicked into a slightly higher orbit.

With lots of thanks, @SAS123 has indeed provided me with new settings for the particles and an extra ring for correct debris placement. I have also made new particle textures, the boulders coming from Infernas now look more 3D thanks to a lens distortion, and have lava cracks on them. I might change it again later, but it's okay for now.

 

I also have an announcement regarding Kivlan.

Quote

WATER ON KIVLAN?

Earlier this week, scientists at Guardian Enterprises have gone on record that they have found ancient river-like formations on Cyran's fourth moon. This suggests a warmer past, as the moon's surface temperature is estimated to be below the freezing point of water. Strangely enough the surface does not seem to contain water ice, and the polar icecaps are part frozen carbon dioxide.

Scientists are now speculating about the possibility of life having thrived on Kivlan's ancient shores. However, as the scientists at Guardian Enterprises underline, 'we cannot be certain until we've been there. Who knows what kind of weird remnants we could find.'

The same team has been keeping a close eye on Cyran, monitoring the planet for future missions. A few months prior to this discovery the team estimated that Glacia, another moon of the largest planet in our solar system, seems to consist of at least 60% water ice. The possibility of a subsurface ocean is also under investigation.

Various parties have shown interest in travelling to Cyran to set all of the records straight, although no Kerbal has ever ventured beyond Kerbin's safe atmosphere, it seems as if it is only a matter of time until the secrets of our solar system - and those of Cyran, will be revealed to us.

I have one more announcement - people have suggested GalacticNeighborhood compatibility. @Sigma88 has contacted me about this, and I'm here to show the result!

RkcWGhy.png

Yes, that is Cyran. Cyran did not like me poking at it's properties to see if I could change it to orbit another star. The planet got so angry in fact that it ignited. This config comes bundled with Cyran and activates automatically once GN is installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

GalacticNeighborhood compatibility. -snip-

RkcWGhy.png

Yes, that is Cyran.

Cyran has so many moons now (10?) that I've already entertained the idea that it should be its own solar system. I'm glad you read my mind. :o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Cyran has so many moons now (10?) that I've already entertained the idea that it should be its own solar system. I'm glad you read my mind. :o 

Uuh... let's see.

Infernas, then Dres, then Iltan, Kivlan, Sennim, Zerto, Glacia, Protorin and Crysalis... nine of them. Haspihpo needs a major redesign before release, something I won't do right now.

Yes, people, three new names!

 

How about I introduce them in style - with the KSPedia page I made for Cyran!

MzMH0Ci.png

The moons are up to scale, Cyran is not. If I wanted to make Cyran up to scale in this image, I needed an image size of 16000 pixels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cornholio said:

 

This pack by @Elowiny adds a molten planet called Piggies that is closer to kerbol than moho. 

Uuuh...why are you mentioning my crappy planet pack here? I don't think it has anything to do with this mod. Sure, Pigge has lava, but it's not even functional with the current version of KSP and Kopernicus.

Also, this Cyran planet pack looks pretty good! I think I'll start playing KSP again just for the sake of going there and incinerating my Kerbals.

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Elowiny Because the highlight at the moment is a moon that's actually melting and feeding the giant's rings. :P ...Also, Piggies!

 

Does this moon has real lava that will destroy ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This made me think: a Cyran-like object is possible IRL! However, it would be a brown dwarf rather than a "true" gas giant. Brown dwarves can be still pretty hot because they burn deuterium, and are good at keeping their heat. Curiously, BD!Cyran wouldn't be much bigger than it currently is, because at this point the extra squeeze from more gas is an even bigger effect than the volume gain. Case in point: Jupiter is barely bigger than Saturn, but it's more than twice as massive because it is much denser. And if one was to collide Jupiter and Saturn (gently!), the resulting giant would actually be smaller than both.

So... this is quite neat to imagine that, somewhere, somewhat, Cyran can exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Elowiny said:

Does this moon has real lava that will destroy ships?

It burns indeed. Trust me, Infernas has a hand-painted lava texture as well as HazardousOcean. So yeah, stay clear of the molten area...

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Elowiny I don't know that much but it I'm confident that the danger is real. :D

A-yup!

2 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

This made me think: a Cyran-like object is possible IRL! However, it would be a brown dwarf rather than a "true" gas giant. Brown dwarves can be still pretty hot because they burn deuterium, and are good at keeping their heat. Curiously, BD!Cyran wouldn't be much bigger than it currently is, because at this point the extra squeeze from more gas is an even bigger effect than the volume gain. Case in point: Jupiter is barely bigger than Saturn, but it's more than twice as massive because it is much denser. And if one was to collide Jupiter and Saturn (gently!), the resulting giant would actually be smaller than both.

So... this is quite neat to imagine that, somewhere, somewhat, Cyran can exist.

Indeed, when I designed Cyran I made it this large for a reason. Cyran's only glowing though, no actual nuclear fusion is present... or is there?

Cyran is in fact based off some real life exoplanets. Mostly TrEs-2b, except it isn't that dark.

Edited by The White Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elowiny said:

Uuuh...why are you mentioning my crappy planet pack here? I don't think it has anything to do with this mod. Sure, Pigge has lava, but it's not even functional with the current version of KSP and Kopernicus.

Also, this Cyran planet pack looks pretty good! I think I'll start playing KSP again just for the sake of going there and incinerating my Kerbals.

I was just mentioning another molten planet. Piggie is probably my favorite available planet and I'm big into planet packs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.