The White Guardian

[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Planet Cyran

Recommended Posts

Just now, MinimalMinmus said:

Cyran has a strange color here, it seems not to be as red as on other pictures...

That's because I made the atmosphere slightly orange. Recoloring atmospheres is an easy job, and it's not quite the final version yet. I'm just so happy the darn thing works at last :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Big news!

5cfOUm3.png

Y'all know what that means...

I'm gonna start recording a trailer. Cyran should be up before the end of this week.

It's so pretty! I can't wait to send my research station there!

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Okay @The White Guardian, I need to know something to finish Infernas' science defs: does it have an athmosphere? I already PMed you everything about space around it.

It does. It's a tiny one since most of it has been stolen, but it has. Remember, I wrote down it's composition a few messages back.

29 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

It's so pretty! I can't wait to send my research station there!

It's actually Kerbin's default settings in the Scatterer proland config tool, with some extra added green to make it a bit more alien-ish and denser.

Let's not forget the other moons though!

OJU9qLf.png

2d8IppL.png

EDbVbSL.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like one of the rings in the last picture wasn't there before. Did Cyran get a new ring? Or am I just hallucinating?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

It looks like one of the rings in the last picture wasn't there before. Did Cyran get a new ring? Or am I just hallucinating?

 

It does have a third ring now, I made a new ringtexture and I couldn't resist trying it out.

More screenshot time!

Spoiler

xZz0RjD.png

9RKxovI.png

And a moon reveal! Meet Crysalis!

Spoiler

ufucbu1.png

As you can see in the images I tried out a new texture trick inspired by SVT to add a nice 'detail texture'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

And a moon reveal! Meet Crysalis!

  Hide contents

ufucbu1.png

As you can see in the images I tried out a new texture trick inspired by SVT to add a nice 'detail texture'.

What are those blue dots on the right side?

 

EDIT: Infernas' reports are finished. Phew, I did an unique one for everything, even the stock planets don't nearly have so much details.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MinimalMinmus said:

What are those blue dots on the right side?

 

EDIT: Infernas' reports are finished. Phew, I did an unique one for everything, even the stock planets don't nearly have so much details.

Awww i was going to do Infernas. I even said on last page :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

Awww i was going to do Infernas. I even said on last page :(

whoops, I'm terribly sorry. If you want, I'll show you my work on Infernas

For the other moons, we may try to split more efficiently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

whoops, I'm terribly sorry. If you want, I'll show you my work on Infernas

For the other moons, we may try to split more efficiently.

 

Its fine. You did pretty well anyways. and i've already helped Infernas and the rings in my own way by adding a somewhat more realistic breaking apart of the moon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

Its fine. You did pretty well anyways. and i've already helped Infernas and the rings in my own way by adding a somewhat more realistic breaking apart of the moon. 

Thanks! Maybe @The White Guardian could post a full list of moons + biomes on the PM, so that we can create a "to-do list" for a really premium science report amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a great idea! @The White Guardian , why don't you make Infernas a little oblate as in real life, bodies get stretched a bit when they are close or within the Roche Limit?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

It does. It's a tiny one since most of it has been stolen, but it has. Remember, I wrote down it's composition a few messages back.

It's actually Kerbin's default settings in the Scatterer proland config tool, with some extra added green to make it a bit more alien-ish and denser.

Let's not forget the other moons though!

OJU9qLf.png

2d8IppL.png

EDbVbSL.png

 

I feel like Infernas looks a little wet. I guess because the surface is liquidating and it would probably look better ingame but thats what the picture makes it seem like to me. other than that everything else looks really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

It does have a third ring now, I made a new ringtexture and I couldn't resist trying it out.

More screenshot time!

  Reveal hidden contents

xZz0RjD.png

9RKxovI.png

And a moon reveal! Meet Crysalis!

  Reveal hidden contents

ufucbu1.png

As you can see in the images I tried out a new texture trick inspired by SVT to add a nice 'detail texture'.

These teasers look amazing! I'm wondering what Crysalis's orbital characteristics are going to be. Judging from the picture, it looks pretty small, so I think it'll be orbiting quite far from Cyran.

Also, I wish I could help with the science definitions, but I don't want to be spoiled and know all of the science blurbs in advance (What would be the point of my research stations if knew everything in advance?). 

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elowiny said:

These teasers look amazing! I'm wondering what Crysalis's orbital characteristics are going to be. Judging from the picture, it looks pretty small, so I think it'll be orbiting quite far from Cyran.

Also, I wish I could help with the science definitions, but I don't want to be spoiled and know all of the science blurbs in advance (What would be the point of my research stations if knew everything in advance?). 

 
 

Having a Station around Cyran is an achievement in itself. (Everytime i think of a research station around a planet, i always think of a Mir looking space station.)

Edited by SAS123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

Having a Station around Cyran is an achievement in itself. (Everytime i think of a research station around a planet, i always think of a Mir looking space station.)

It's not a multi-part space station like Mir or the ISS, but rather this :

bachlij.jpg

It's pretty big but still a single launch. Nothing spectacular.

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SAS123 said:

Its fine. You did pretty well anyways. and i've already helped Infernas and the rings in my own way by adding a somewhat more realistic breaking apart of the moon. 

That doesn't mean you can't add to the science defs. Just send me what you had in mind in a PM and I'll see what I can add. :D

8 hours ago, SAS123 said:

I feel like Infernas looks a little wet. I guess because the surface is liquidating and it would probably look better ingame but thats what the picture makes it seem like to me. other than that everything else looks really nice.

That's a weird Scatterer effect IIRC, I took some action against shininess myself but I have yet to check out how it reacts in-game.

12 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Thanks! Maybe @The White Guardian could post a full list of moons + biomes on the PM, so that we can create a "to-do list" for a really premium science report amount.

In that case I'm going to start a new PM conversation with you, @SAS123 and @JadeOfMaar.

15 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

What are those blue dots on the right side?

You'll find out soon enough! :D

11 hours ago, SAS123 said:

I just had a great idea! @The White Guardian , why don't you make Infernas a little oblate as in real life, bodies get stretched a bit when they are close or within the Roche Limit?  

Hmm... if I'd try that out on Cyran's side the ocean I use for the lava would vanish... Maybe in a future update. For now I'm not gonna mess with the settings now that everything works.

1 hour ago, SAS123 said:

Having a Station around Cyran is an achievement in itself. (Everytime i think of a research station around a planet, i always think of a Mir looking space station.)

Not really. For some weird reason the heat radiation stopped working, just outside the atmosphere it's 200 degrees Kelvin, just inside it quickly rises to 700 degrees Kelvin. I did a test with max temperature off and it rose all the way to beyond 2000K the further I descended. Re-entry heat played a part as well, but still, no heat radiation. I'll do some digging about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I'm getting really hyped for the update of this planet pack. Hmm i could do the other moons. what moons still need to be done? (for ScienceDefs)

Edited by SAS123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

Sorry I'm getting really hyped for the update of this planet pack. Hmm i could do the other moons. what moons still need to be done? (for ScienceDefs)

Let's see... I finished Cyran yesterday, I'm personally working on Iltan and Infernas already has a batch of sciencedefs so that's also close to finished... I'd say Kivlan, Sennim, Crysalis, Zerto, and a yet unrevealed moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Let's see... I finished Cyran yesterday, I'm personally working on Iltan and Infernas already has a batch of sciencedefs so that's also close to finished... I'd say Kivlan, Sennim, Crysalis, Zerto, and a yet unrevealed moon.

Well, you just need to do a list of biomes in the PM (maybe rename it?), as I invited @SAS123 on it, and we'll work, powered by a very efficient extract of hype and oxydizer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking news! My rover made a STUNNING discovery on Sennim!

As you see, the tiny rover recorded a temperature of about 196 K near the lakes, which is about -77 °C. Nothing out of the ordinary, right?

ru2sq6h.png

However, according to Sennim's data log (And this thread's first post), Sennim's lakes are filled with liquid mercury. And, according to Wikipedia, the melting point of mercury is about -39 °C, which is higher than -77 °C. Which means that the lakes on Sennim are NOT liquid mercury, but another liquid instead! Even if it was solid mercury, there is no way my rover's wheels could have sank into the lake, as solid mercury isn't that malleable!

What is this madness?!

 

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

Breaking news! My rover made a STUNNING discovery on Sennim!

As you see, the tiny rover recorded a temperature of about 196 K near the lakes, which is about -77 °C. Nothing out of the ordinary, right?

ru2sq6h.png

However, according to Sennim's data log (And this thread's first post), Sennim's lakes are filled with liquid mercury. And, according to Wikipedia, the melting point of mercury is about -39 °C, which is higher than -77 °C. Which means that the lakes on Sennim are NOT liquid mercury, but another liquid instead! Even if it was solid mercury, there is no way my rover's wheels could have sank into the lake, as solid mercury isn't that malleable!

What is this madness?!

 

what, hang on.

Ah, yeah, it used to be 200K. Upgrading it to 270K for a more realistic pressure-temperature profile.

Also, @Sigma88 gave a potential solution for the missing space temperature over in the Kopernicus thread - adding an ocean to Cyran along with HazardousOcean.

I'm gonna make some cloud textures now that could allow it to function as an animated surface as well.

Edited by The White Guardian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

what, hang on.

Ah, yeah, it used to be 200K. Upgrading it to 270K for a more realistic pressure-temperature profile.

Also, @Sigma88 gave a potential solution for the missing space temperature over in the Kopernicus thread - adding an ocean to Cyran along with HazardousOcean.

I'm gonna make some cloud textures now that could allow it to function as an animated surface as well.

270K ? That means Sennim is only at -3 °C. Isn't that a bit too warm?

Adding an ocean is a good idea. However, are you going to make it so the heat extends all the way to the moons? That would explain why Sennim is so warm.

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elowiny said:

270K ? That means Sennim is only at -3 °C. Isn't that a bit too warm?

Adding an ocean is a good idea. However, are you going to make it so the heat extends all the way to the moons? That would explain why Sennim is so warm.

Given Cyran is almost a brown dwarf, this makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Given Cyran is almost a brown dwarf, this makes sense.

But wait, if it generates enough heat for Sennim to have almost positive temperatures, that means Iltan is a tropical paradise! @The White Guardian, you need to add palm trees to Iltan!

Edited by Elowiny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.