[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

• 3 months later...

What about a version of the service bay with: 

1) no side battery humps

2) roof to floor doors

3) optional brackets/attachment points for USI wedges

4) ladder per side

If a more open service bay held three triple-height wedges per side (18 total),  I think it would make for a much more organized science rover than trying to jigsaw the larger non-wedge experiments into the open cargo bays. It could then also nicely carry storage lockers for surface experiments, tools,  etc.

1 hour ago, Kharn said:

What about a version of the service bay with: 

1) no side battery humps

2) roof to floor doors

3) optional brackets/attachment points for USI wedges

4) ladder per side

If a more open service bay held three triple-height wedges per side (18 total),  I think it would make for a much more organized science rover than trying to jigsaw the larger non-wedge experiments into the open cargo bays. It could then also nicely carry storage lockers for surface experiments, tools,  etc.

I do not know what wedge experiments you are referring to?

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I do not know what wedge experiments you are referring to?

Oops, I got Umbra Space Industries confused with Universal Storage II, Universal Storage lets you add a central core of varying diameters and heights to your rocket, then add wedge- shaped modules (tanks, batteries, storage, science, etc) to add functions, and then outer fairings to reduce drag. 

Universal Storage supports USI already, it's a great way to hide the various life support tanks on small craft without a huge increase in drag. 

• 1 month later...

Hello! I just build a Malemute Rover in my career save and the wheels seem to not be working correctly. Im on 1.12. Stock wheels work fine but once I use the malemute wheels, they dont turn as they should, the rover has to be almost completaly still for the wheels to move, making control even at 5 m/s impossible. 

hi there. i want to confirm the above. if the rover stands still steering seems to be correct. But as soon you accellerate the weels turn  in  different directions on their own (i do not steer). stock wheels and KF working as intended

greets

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Brazilian Luigi said:

Why does this look like the Lynx rover...

No idea - Malemute has been around longer, and was originally based off of the rover from Last Days on Mars (horrible movie, cool Rover though).ArtStation - Last Days on Mars, Wayne Robson

• 7 months later...

Version 112.0.1 of the Malemute Rover has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/releases

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :)  

So while we're totally still around and active in the forums and on the USI discord, I would not anticipate any major new USI releases, at least in the short term, though there are still a few major things we both want to knock out (including updating all of the wheels, and some other large system changes).

Lastly, a couple of handy links.  First, the discord server for all things USI (though this also covers our new game as well), and a reminder that I'll be doing a bunch of streaming around game dev (mostly the art side, so Blender, Substance, Unity, etc.). though it's going to be exclusively work on the new game, vs KSP stuff.  

Discord:  https://discord.gg/FNBwUXRgX8

Twitch:  https://www.twitch.tv/RoverDude

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:33 AM, RoverDude said:

Version 112.0.1 of the Malemute Rover has been released, and the thread has been updated to reflect the updated download location and KSP version supported.  CKAN should also be catching up for those of you who use it.  You can also nab the latest release here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/releases

This is pretty much what was in the bleeding edge releases for 1.11, plus a few small tweaks.  Barring any major issues, this is likely going to be the release we stick with for the foreseeable future, as @DoktorKrogg and I are both neck deep in a new indie game we're both working on :) 

Enjoy!  And make sure to let us know if any bees got into the build process.  If so, we'll do a fast follower in a week or two if necessary to update the releases.

Hey @RoverDude and @DoktorKrogg,

Thanks for your great work!

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where can I find a full changelog?

I have an ongoing JNSQ (+Kerbalism) game and want to check, if it is save to update.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, N3N said:

Hey @RoverDude and @DoktorKrogg,

Thanks for your great work!

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but where can I find a full changelog?

I have an ongoing JNSQ (+Kerbalism) game and want to check, if it is save to update.

if you find one id like to know too, ive been searching everywhere but no idea what the deal with all these new parts is. good to know my favorite rover is back though

found an issue actually, the malemute wheels seem to have almost no friction. youll see it pretty quick scooting around the base, the wheels spin when you accelerate and slide when you brake, and when you try and climb slopes youll usually wind up sliding back down unless you've scooted up enough of a head to ramp it in one shot

packrat rover wheels work perfect when subbed in for them though

• 5 months later...

why on earth is my rover sliding ever so slightly above the duna surface ? and how can I prevent that from happening ? I cannot scan shi&% with the sensor arm. or eva and do other stuff when the rover might not be there once I get back 
thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It slides like on ice on kerbin. I haver set friction and traction to max on all wheels  and there is no change in behavior. Oh and how there hell do I get into and out of it??? trying to pick up vip for toour and cet figure how the F to get him into the vehicle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.