[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

I've been messing around with this mod pack since it came out. I love it. That said, I ran into an interesting niggle last night I'd like to share.

After making 1,933,324 variants of rovers with the Malemute parts, I got the strange idea that the parts would probably make a good shuttlepod-looking craft, like from Star Trek. Cockpit, Monoprop tank, tail cap. I had some side attachable monoprop engines I put on the sides near the tail, I used the side attachable DERP monoprop engines and attached them on the wheel nodes so it could take-off and land vertically. It actually turned out looking pretty good! So then it was time to test it.

I used hyperedit to get it up into orbit, then tested SRS, RCS, and orbital maneuvering, and that's when the weirdness started. I went from an 80km Kerbin orbit up to about 500 km, and when I finished circulizing my camera started shaking but the craft was stable. I toggled the cockpit torque and engine gimbles, then changed orbits again to see what was going on. After sliding into a 350 km orbit, the camera was still shaking all over, but the craft was stable. Then I realized something: The camera was shaking as I was orbiting over Kerbin terrain, but when I was orbiting over water the shaking stopped.

QUESTION 1: Did you put some code into the Malemute that makes the camera bounce in relation to the terrain the vehicle is moving over? I have no wheels on this shuttlepod, and yet while in orbit the camera bounces around as if it were traveling 2000 m/s over land.

Next up, I decided I wanted to make a craft reminiscent from a game I used to play back in the 80's, called Starflight. The craft in that game sort of looked like this, so I was planning on using the Malemute parts (mixing in some Karibou parts) to build something similar. Well, after spending about 5 hours doing R&D in the SPH, I finally got something I liked. hyperedited it up into orbit to test maneuvering and docking, and that's where I ran into problems. I tried docking this craft to a space station using the Malemute extending docking ports, and they would not work. Right-clicking the malemute docking ports and selecting "Control From Here" doesn't seem to work in space; the nav ball and docking port alignment is off in such a way that the craft is turned 90 degrees on its side, just as if you were trying to dock on land with another land vehicle.

QUESTION 2: Are the Malemute extendable docking ports coded in such a way that they are "designed" for surface, rover-rover/rover-station docking only? This one isn't such a big deal, since I can use other docking ports (though I love the expanding ones you made).

Oh yeah, the camera bouncing came back on this craft too. I get that these parts are pretty specialized for rover builds, and the rovers you can build with these parts are bea-uti-ful; I'm just curious if, due to how the parts were coded, these parts probably shouldn't be used for things other than landed crafts?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

First off: This rover is too sick. Best rover design I have seen for this game ever. 

Secondly: Sadness. So I keep trying to install it and nothing shows up in the parts, in SPH or VAB. One thing I noticed is that the .mu files for the parts are in "Assets", not in "Parts" folder (which contain only the .cfg files.) Could that have something to do with it? I read through this thread and saw another user had the same problem, and I followed the steps for uninstalling a few mods at a time. Got to where this rover was the only thing I had installed, so I did a completely fresh install of KSP, then loaded only this rover mod. Still nothing. Another thing to note is that when I download the mod from github, there is a 1.0, 1.1, and 1.4 version, all in the same download. Am I supposed to install them in sequence, because that doesn't sound right.

EDIT: Tried to install in sequence and that did not work. Halp...

Edited by Victorsaurus
dingus

1 hour ago, Victorsaurus said:

First off: This rover is too sick. Best rover design I have seen for this game ever. 

Secondly: Sadness. So I keep trying to install it and nothing shows up in the parts, in SPH or VAB. One thing I noticed is that the .mu files for the parts are in "Assets", not in "Parts" folder (which contain only the .cfg files.) Could that have something to do with it? I read through this thread and saw another user had the same problem, and I followed the steps for uninstalling a few mods at a time. Got to where this rover was the only thing I had installed, so I did a completely fresh install of KSP, then loaded only this rover mod. Still nothing. Another thing to note is that when I download the mod from github, there is a 1.0, 1.1, and 1.4 version, all in the same download. Am I supposed to install them in sequence, because that doesn't sound right.

EDIT: Tried to install in sequence and that did not work. Halp...

Nothing special. Just install the contents of gamedata into your ksp gamedata folder. If unsure screenshot your gamedata folder

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Nothing special. Just install the contents of gamedata into your ksp gamedata folder. If unsure screenshot your gamedata folder

3c35912032.jpg

Ok this is a screen shot of my GameData folder. I just did it over again and still nothing shows up in game.

31 minutes ago, Victorsaurus said:

3c35912032.jpg

Ok this is a screen shot of my GameData folder. I just did it over again and still nothing shows up in game.

yea that looks correct.   I'll have to defer to someone else.  Can't do much else from my phone.

12 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

KSP version?  Screenshot of the VAB toolbox?

Also - grab it from here:  

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Malemute/releases

(latest version)

3e1271b326.jpg

Hey man thanks for replying! I wasn't sure what you meant by toolbox so I just got this pic of the VAB. One thing I did notice is that the game is loading up the spaces for the internals of the rover. The .mu and .cfg parts are in separate folders inside the Malamute folder. Like I said I dont know if that matters though. I am running KSP version 1.0.5. That link you provided is also the same one I had downloaded the mod from.

6 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Yeah.. this only works on 1.1.3.

(And probably any 1.1.x ;))

Well...poops. I'm reluctant to update because some many mods are all over the place with compatibility version. I wonder if this is what the other guy's problem was too. Well thanks for your help anyway :) and great mod!

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are looking for the new "rovers" tab that shows up, right? The malemute control pod isn't going to show up in the control pods tab, but in the new rovers tab. I also thought the same thing at first, and didn't spot the rovers tab until I'd after I'd already given up.

Edited by Bomoo

@RoverDude Finally got enough science to build this rover in my new career game. WOW! It motors and it's as rugged as an old boot. I put one of your small reactors on the top with a small radiator for 'unlimited mileage'...looks kinda slick actually...time for some off-planet road trips! :)

You add so much to this game, donation inbound!

@Jarnin Oh, a Malemute shuttlecraft! Put on a small ion engine with a xenon tank and a small nuclear reactor, you may be able to come and go like crazy on the smaller moons. Nice idea, will have to build one and try it out.

Edited by Starfire70

I've had a bit of an issue in which various files in my KSP folder have become corrupt, among them various files in this mod.

For various mod compatibility reasons I'm still on 1.1.2, which of the three versions on the github page would you recommend I use to rebuild my 1.1.2 install?

I note the latest is listed as 1.1.3, so the previous?

RoverDude, first I'll say thanks for this very nice mod.  I find that the Malemute rover with miniwheels underneath on the nodes fits nicely into a mk3 cargo bay.

That said, I'm asking you for help/advice with something.  I made a nice cargo airplane for the polar charter challenge, and I have these really dense / heavy USI containers with lots of Uraninite in them.  Over 135 tons in each.  The airframe and landing gear handle the weight well, but even with lighter payloads the rover wheels are oscillating around and sliding everywhere inside the bay.  I also have the same problems on the runway with almost any rover I make, light or heavy, stock wheels or modded wheels.

1. So, is it just Unity 5's wheel colliders that are causing these problems?

2.  In any case, is there anything I can do on my end to circumvent the problem?

3. For the long standing mk3 cargo beds and ramps out there, is there any alternative to effectively extracting ultra heavy freight?

I've been experimenting with infernal robotics gantries and linking containers for resource transfer, but the complexity, part count and risk of more physics glitches starts to escalate rapidly and eventually I find myself exhausted and back at square one when my house of cards falls.  I've spent probably 20 man hours trying to find a way to get these containers out of my plane without rover wheels to no avail.

Edited by MunGazer
spelling

yeah this is my goto rover as well. made the science lab a real science lab. so great for doing the around ksc science farming early on.

munrover ha my bad mungazer, have you tried MEPS for the cargo bay floor? might give it something to stick to and work better. i use them to mount KIS containers around the outside of ships stations etc.  

Edited by COL.R.Neville
got dudes name wrong hehe

Thanks COL and DStaal for the suggestions.  The strut & large docking port option does indeed work well for keeping hundreds of tons of cargo in place during flight, and also would nicely facilitate detachment in an external cargo configuration.  I looked at the MEPS mod and it appears to be 0.25 compatible only, although I didn't go on a long hunt for a forked newer version.  The problem is since I'm using FAR, fuel efficiency, bulkiness of cargo, etc. are factoring in heavily, external cargo is sort of a back to the drawing board less desirable option.  Very specifically, I have some large USI freight containers inside an SXT (Lack's Stock Extension) Mk3 cargo bay with ramps on either end.  I want to extract them neatly from my beloved cargo plane masterpiece.

Edited by MunGazer

7 hours ago, MunGazer said:

Thanks COL and DStaal for the suggestions.  The strut & large docking port option does indeed work well for keeping hundreds of tons of cargo in place during flight, and also would nicely facilitate detachment in an external cargo configuration.  I looked at the MEPS mod and it appears to be 0.25 compatible only, although I didn't go on a long hunt for a forked newer version.  The problem is since I'm using FAR, fuel efficiency, bulkiness of cargo, etc. are factoring in heavily, external cargo is sort of a back to the drawing board less desirable option.  Very specifically, I have some large USI freight containers inside an SXT (Lack's Stock Extension) Mk3 cargo bay with ramps on either end.  I want to extract them neatly from my beloved cargo plane masterpiece.

Excuse the lighting (and the fact that I'm using a Buffalo - I had one mostly set up for this already), but my quick test shows KAS ports should still be able to help.  (I used KAS struts, forgetting that they can't bridge separate ships in this test, but principle applies.)

Attached to the inside of the cargo bay:

screenshot_2016-09-09--00-24-21.png

Bill trying to attach things:

screenshot_2016-09-09--00-32-08.png

15 hours ago, MunGazer said:

I looked at the MEPS mod and it appears to be 0.25 compatible only, although I didn't go on a long hunt for a forked newer version.

FYI, I've put a patch in the thread that updates the thermal properties and adds the appropriate bulkheadProfiles -- otherwise they work just fine:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.