[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

36 minutes ago, Tantalus said:

Hi @RoverDude, really a great rover (once again). Only two small questions: is it intended that the malemuthe is behind the karibou in tech tree? And do you plan to list it on ckan?

Regards

Tantalus

Oh, and by the way, imho the movie wasnt that bad. Ive seen much worse

No..it wasn't that bad...but it wasn't good either. Honestly if the props/effects department hadn't done so well I may not have made it through that film.

I can understand the Karibou being before the Malemute in the tech tree. It is very common for new technology to be big at first and then get smaller as its developed. Like computers, the first ones took up a small warehouse worth of room, and are outclassed by most modern smartphones and tablets.

Also the Kari, like RD said, is a construction platform, whereas the Male is a science/exploration platform. From an engineering stantpoint the latter is gonna be alot more complex and filled with intricate specialty equipment.

on a side note, finally got the .mu extension installed to blender...think I gonna print me a Malemute =P

@RoverDude

I just installed this wonderful addition to the USI suite, and had a question about the rover's ability to get in and out of the Mk-III cargo bay: The full size wheels don't roll/motor while retracted, which means they can't drive up the ramp into the cargo bay, and the small wheels (which fit quite nicely into the bay) are super jittery on the flat terrain just North of KSC. Could one or both of those potentially be fixed by a quick config edit/patch? 

Edited by LordKael

1 hour ago, JewelShisen said:

So what is up with the triple nodes on the flatbed parts at the front and rear? What is the use for them?

Choice.  For example you can fit 2 of the smaller wheels on the front and back node.

12 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

No not those. The three at the FRONT and BACK of the part. Not the BOTTOM.

Those have me a little confused as well...figured it was something I was just overlooking, as I haven't had much time to mess the parts.

Actually, the answer is similar - There's one for 'with fairings' and one for 'without fairings' - so you can get the nice looking end, or get nothing in between when you want a larger flatbed.  (I'm not sure about the third - I'll have to go look at it.  Though I can't quickly find it in the config...  You sure it's not just an artifact of the two overlapping nodes?)

Ok, took a quick look in-game: There are not three nodes at the front and back - there are two sets of two nodes each, for a total of four.

Two of them face outwards, and line up with each other on the horizontal axis.  Those I described previously - they are for whether you want the fairings or not.

The other two face inwards, and line up on the vertical axis.  I presume they are for cargo attachment - giving you a couple of different options for heights.  One is the perfect height to hold a small Kontainer.  (I presume the other is along the center line or something.)

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Correct, they are for inline cargo (0.625/1.25)

Alright then. Any chance of getting something like a top piece for it? Would love to be able to make it look a little more streamlined during transport. 

Haha! After looking at @panarchist's airplane I love the cockpit model even more.  Perhaps some sort of malemute-stock form factor adapter plate is in order?  I want Val to look over at Jeb and see this:

HOZMITJ.jpg

Except there is no way Jeb would use the targeting computer!

I just tested it yesterday. and ... Love it.

I find some things:

-  i miss a repair ability for the small wheels, they can just be replaced by new ones

- the docking port is facing the wrong direction (90° on roll-axis) if you switch control to the dockingport

- if you retract the docking port while docked it keeps the connection with a gab, the option to retract it while docked should be removed

so far...

I'm not even sure where I'd request this (since I can't find a github repo for the Kontainers themselves), but it did occur to me idly that if the cargo Kontainers (the KIS ones) had a "hollow" option, with or without an animated door, they could be used to deliver cargo in a standardised manner - i.e., building the rover (or whatever), and docking it to the inside, landing it and driving it out.

Obviously the functionality already exists in stock since the Cargo bay exists, but I could see the use of a standardised delivery system, with airbags/rockets/parachutes/whatever.

@RoverDude Congrats on the new mod!  It's a very nice addition to the USI family :)  TBH I never found a use for the Karibou - it was just too big for my tastes. But I am loving the Malemute!

Though I found it strange that a science exploration rover didn't have any provisions for life support...  For anyone who is interested, here's my ModuleManager patch to add Supplies and Fertilizer options to the Storage Tanks. It also adds a 2 Kerbal, 25% life support recycler to the Geology Lab.

// Add Supplies and Fertilizer options to Malemute Storage Tank (Short)
@PART[Malemute_RoverTankShort]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{
		@textureNames = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01
		@textureDisplayNames = LFO;LiquidFuel;MonoPropellant;Supplies;Fertilizer
		@fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4
	}

@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;MonoPropellant;Supplies,Mulch;Fertilizer
		@resourceAmounts = 90,110;200;200;500,10;500
		@initialResourceAmounts = 90,110;200;200;500,0;500
		@tankCost = 3000;3000;3000;3000;3000
		@tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0
	}
}

// Add Supplies and Fertilizer options to Malemute Storage Tank (Long)
@PART[Malemute_RoverTankLong]
{
	{
		@textureNames = UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01;UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Assets/Malemute_01
	}

@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer,ElectricCharge;LiquidFuel,ElectricCharge;MonoPropellant,ElectricCharge;Supplies,Mulch,ElectricCharge;Fertilizer,ElectricCharge
		@resourceAmounts = 225,275,2000;500,2000;500,2000;4500,150,2000;4500,2000
		@initialResourceAmounts = 225,275,2000;500,2000;500,2000;4500,0,2000;4500,2000
		@tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0
	}
}

// Add USI LS Recycler to Malemute Geology Lab
@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ReplacementParts
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupportRecycler
		CrewCapacity = 2
		RecyclePercent = .25
		ConverterName = Life Support
		tag = Life Support
		StartActionName = Start Life Support
		StopActionName = Stop Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 1
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}

}

Uw4kgu1.png

Edited by MalevolentNinja

Yup, it's not on CKAN yet.  You can install it from the link in the OP.

On 5/20/2016 at 2:04 PM, MalevolentNinja said:

@RoverDude Congrats on the new mod!  It's a very nice addition to the USI family :)  TBH I never found a use for the Karibou - it was just too big for my tastes. But I am loving the Malemute!

Though I found it strange that a science exploration rover didn't have any provisions for life support...  For anyone who is interested, here's my ModuleManager patch to add Supplies and Fertilizer options to the Storage Tanks. It also adds a 2 Kerbal, 25% life support recycler to the Geology Lab.

// Add Supplies and Fertilizer options to Malemute Storage Tank (Short)
@PART[Malemute_RoverTankShort]
{
	{
	}

@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;MonoPropellant;Supplies,Mulch;Fertilizer
		@resourceAmounts = 90,110;200;200;500,10;500
		@initialResourceAmounts = 90,110;200;200;500,0;500
		@tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0
	}
}

// Add Supplies and Fertilizer options to Malemute Storage Tank (Long)
@PART[Malemute_RoverTankLong]
{
	{
	}

@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
	{
		@resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer,ElectricCharge;LiquidFuel,ElectricCharge;MonoPropellant,ElectricCharge;Supplies,Mulch,ElectricCharge;Fertilizer,ElectricCharge
		@resourceAmounts = 225,275,2000;500,2000;500,2000;4500,150,2000;4500,2000
		@initialResourceAmounts = 225,275,2000;500,2000;500,2000;4500,0,2000;4500,2000
		@tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0
	}
}

// Add USI LS Recycler to Malemute Geology Lab
@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupport
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ReplacementParts
		amount = 200
		maxAmount = 200
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleLifeSupportRecycler
		CrewCapacity = 2
		RecyclePercent = .25
		ConverterName = Life Support
		tag = Life Support
		StartActionName = Start Life Support
		StopActionName = Stop Life Support

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 1
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = USI_ModuleFieldRepair
	}

}

Uw4kgu1.png

That's one creative use of the nom o matics :)

btw - feel free to toss a PR for that supply update.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

That's one creative use of the nom o matics :)

btw - feel free to toss a PR for that supply update.

Thanks :)  I like to say she looks stock but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

pUdgQo9.jpg

As far as the PR - I'll work on it. I'll use this opportunity as an excuse to learn github - been meaning to but I always put it off.

23 hours ago, MalevolentNinja said:

As far as the PR - I'll work on it. I'll use this opportunity as an excuse to learn github - been meaning to but I always put it off.

@RoverDude I added Malemute LS options as PR # 17

In a second commit under the same PR, I added KSP 1.1 search tags to all the Malemute parts (trying to help out as requested).

But this won't work the way you have your parts categories defined.

I was able to get it working with this change:

PART
{
name = Malemute_MiniWheel
//category = none
//subcategory = -1
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
}

With this change the part shows up under the stock "Utility" category, which make it searchable (the part still shows up under the USI specific "Rovers" category).

Your call... Do you want me to add these changes to the PR, putting all the parts back into stock categories in order to enable search?

Edited by MalevolentNinja

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.