[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

Awesome job @RoverDude it's really a masterpiece!

Are you going to add solar panels? In case not can someone suggest a similar set of solar panels? I'm trying to adapt some CMES  ones but the colors doesn't goes well with the rover

LDOM_Vehicle3_PEARCE.jpg

Thanks again for your time and sharing your skill :wink:

Anyone else having issues with the small rover wheels? It appears that with just the cab, the geology lab, the rear airlock, and 2 small rover wheels on the cab and the rear airlock, the rover jitters and eventually flips over by itself. Adding an extra set of wheels to the lab has the same effect, I've tested on all 3 nodes on the lab. I did see a few posts back where @RoverDudestated use more rover or less wheel, but I can't seem to get the balance right I guess. 

Field report from my Mun Exploration crew on their new rover (in-universe style - not all may apply to RoverDude.):

• The right headlight doesn't work, only the left one does.  They are unclear on whether this was a design simplification decision or an oversight.
  • Maneuverability and speed are excellent, although pilots should be aware that it is possible to tip one over - and unlike the Karibou designs, it's self-righting ability is limited.
  • The side docking may be convenient, but it requires level ground between the respective docking vessels.  Future base designs should take this into account.
  • The addition of the AKI Storage Lockers to the rear airlock was brilliant, and should be immediately adopted in all future designs based on this concept.  (Some surface-mount KIS containers, that happen to match the form and style well.)
  • The service bay does not make a very good experiments bay, as the height makes it difficult for the scientists to reach the experiments to reset them.

Just want to report that I also experienced the smaller wheels acting screwy. Updating Tweakable Everything to the latest version appears to have fixed that, however, along with non-functioning docking ports. They do still act a little bit jittery, but they do more or less function as expected otherwise. This may or may not be related to this, but I'm not noticing any suspension on the smaller wheels. Don't mean to be snarky if they don't, in fact, have suspension implemented yet.

Edited by Bomoo

Now, I don't know if it's the new stock rover system, or some bugged code, but the mini wheels suck balls. As soon as I launch it goes flying in the air, and when it's on the ground it keeps shaking and rotating. My best guess (from someone who only has a basic understanding of code) is that it may have something to do with the collision detection, and it keeps spazzing out as it.... you know I don't really have a clue why this is happening. But what I do know is that I can't go 5 meters without flipping, sailing 10 meters into the air, and having a not-so-perfect landing that results in the rover erupting into a fiery hellstorm; a fancy way of saying that it flips s*** and explodes.

The large wheels work OK, but when retracted they just fall through the ground, only to send the rover flying when I extend them.

1 minute ago, Raptor22 said:

Now, I don't know if it's the new stock rover system, or some bugged code, but the mini wheels suck balls. As soon as I launch it goes flying in the air, and when it's on the ground it keeps shaking and rotating. My best guess (from someone who only has a basic understanding of code) is that it may have something to do with the collision detection, and it keeps spazzing out as it.... you know I don't really have a clue why this is happening. But what I do know is that I can't go 5 meters without flipping, sailing 10 meters into the air, and having a not-so-perfect landing that results in the rover erupting into a fiery hellstorm; a fancy way of saying that it flips s*** and explodes.

The large wheels work OK, but when retracted they just fall through the ground, only to send the rover flying when I extend them.

Afternote: They only clip through the ground if I launch with then retracted.

Also, you can't use physics warp with the rovers (not even x2!), because they'll do the same insane dance, regardless of the wheel type or set-up.

But it's a cool mod either way. I just wish that USI was compatible with more mods. If I have the USI mods, I can't get too many other mods before my game starts to break (none of the controls work at the space center, spawn with KSC invisible, or even just crashing while loading). I bet if you continue cleaning up the code as you are now, it should get better in no time.

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

Afternote: They only clip through the ground if I launch with then retracted.

Also, you can't use physics warp with the rovers (not even x2!), because they'll do the same insane dance, regardless of the wheel type or set-up.

But it's a cool mod either way. I just wish that USI was compatible with more mods. If I have the USI mods, I can't get too many other mods before my game starts to break (none of the controls work at the space center, spawn with KSC invisible, or even just crashing while loading). I bet if you continue cleaning up the code as you are now, it should get better in no time.

...Something is borked in your install.  There are problems with the mini wheels, but they are useable in general - and I'm running ~80 mods including the full USI set with no particular game-breakage issues.  (My computer has trouble keeping up, but that's a separate problem.)  So you are having non-usual problems, and there is something wrong.  None of that sounds like mod issues, so I'd be downloading a clean version of KSP and re-doing the install from scratch.

24 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

And @vardicd - that's awesome!

Thanks I literally ran my space program down to less than 10,000 funds and either had to do some save file cheating government donations, or do tour bus contracts around KSC. the hitch was the bus had to be less than the 8,xxx some odd funds I had left. the rocket bus skated in at 5,680. space program saved, no gov bail out needed. :cool:

Now we haz proper Malmute science Rover:

dKYSJNc.jpg

k9TdV3r.jpg

Small bug report here. When the lights are activated in the malemute control pod, only one of them actually projects a light source. Namely, the right one when viewed facing the pod. Left one projects nuffin'.

This can be seen clearly when you're driving around at night, have the lights on, and view the rover from above.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=703264547

Edited by Bomoo

Is there any compatibility with connected living space?

I'm getting CLS saying "Passable: NO" on all parts without any other CLS information. Crews can still sit in each individual space but cannot move from the airlock to crew cabin or driver's cab. They can only EVA over to the other crew hatches for the parts. I knew the Karibou has CLS support so I assumed this one would work too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.