[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

12 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Which wheel?  They use stock modules, so not sure why they would do that any more/less than stock wheels.

Large ones, but maybe small do that too, I never tried them, just installed this mod and tried my first rover with large wheels. It's a problem with animation only, rover drives as expected, but visually there is no "movement to spin" link, wheels don't have any traction and spin like if you lift rover up in air and press acceleration.

I'll try to reinstall mod, looks like it's something wrong with my game, cause noone here reported this, but i have vanilla and just downloaded this for nice rovers.

34 minutes ago, Caullerd said:

I'll try to reinstall mod, looks like it's something wrong with my game, cause noone here reported this, but i have vanilla and just downloaded this for nice rovers.

I have the same problem, but I nevered bothered to report it as it seemed low priority. The wheels do indeed spin way too fast. Perhaps the spin rate of stock wheels is fixed and not related to their diameter?

8 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Is there a way to put a Malemute with the wide wheels inside a Mk3 Cargo Bay, because I'd love to make a rover go in my plane for fast transport across Duna. Should I just use a Konstruction crane?

You can retract them and the rover will fit perfectly inside a Mk3 fuselage.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

You can retract them and the rover will fit perfectly inside a Mk3 fuselage.

The problem is they don't seem to spin while retracted. I know I can use the little ones but they are less stable.

Edited by TDplay

17 minutes ago, TDplay said:

The problem is they don't seem to spin while retracted. I know I can use the little ones but they are less stable.

They do not.  At that point. open the doors (assuming you're doing a drop bay), extend the wheels, undock and drop.  

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

They do not.  At that point. open the doors (assuming you're doing a drop bay), extend the wheels, undock and drop.  

So I should build an upside-down cargo bay and drop it out, then to get back in I should get under my plane?

The setup I am using is a ramp to get in and out. I've tried KAS ropes to tow it in, but to no avail. What should I do?

Ramps are kinda a pain for larger rovers without sacrificing stability.  One nice thing if you size it right is that after you drop out via undocking (and wheels deployed) to go back in you just stow the wheels which will raise your rover to lock onto the docking port :wink:

On 2/26/2017 at 3:24 PM, RoverDude said:

Ramps are kinda a pain for larger rovers without sacrificing stability

I know of mk4 spaceplanes, with big ramps, but mk4 is too big for my liking.

On 2/26/2017 at 3:24 PM, RoverDude said:

One nice thing if you size it right is that after you drop out via undocking (and wheels deployed) to go back in you just stow the wheels which will raise your rover to lock onto the docking port

Would that work with the ARM Klaw? I drive my rover in to be grabbed by a Klaw (at least, I did on my first rover-spaceplane mating system)

Also, are the small wheels suitable for rough terrain?

On 2/26/2017 at 3:06 PM, RoverDude said:

At that point.

Also, could you clarify if here you're indicating that it's unintentional or is it intentional that stowed wheels don't spin.

Am I the only one who's having problems getting the "rovers" category to show up? I can only access the Malemute parts by going to the manufacturer filter; there's no "rovers" icon in the toolbox in the VAB

• Deleted KSP and reinstalled from Steam
  • Unzipped Malemute download and copied to GAMEDATA folder
  • Added a few more part mods to make sure that the rest is indeed showing up including custom categories (spoiler: yes, they are)
  • Downloaded the CKK_1.2.2 pack and installed it in the GAMEDATA folder

Screenshot of folders:

Spoiler

7Ui3OEv.png

I'm at my wits end. What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: The 0.2.6 rover shows up fine. It's the 0.2.7 rover that has the problem.

Updating USI Tools from 8.10 to 8.16 makes the rover icon disappear, but not sure if that is the cause.

Edited by Kerbart
Advanced Testing

How is the geology lab supposed to work?  I saw a post that it wasn't supposed to be a science lab but I haven't been able to figure out what purpose it serves or how to use it.  Are there any plans to add a regular science lab?

EDIT: I'm using this mk2 fuselage lab from a mod for now.  It doesn't fit well and is too long but I haven't figured out an alternative I like yet:

0f8Npqs.jpg

OP4ju2S.jpg

Edited by DoubleUU
Added images

1 hour ago, DoubleUU said:

How is the geology lab supposed to work?  I saw a post that it wasn't supposed to be a science lab but I haven't been able to figure out what purpose it serves or how to use it.

It works like the orbital narrow-band resource scanner — deploy the lab's antenna, then open its KerbNet window and you can see the resource concentrations in the surrounding area.

5 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

It works like the orbital narrow-band resource scanner — deploy the lab's antenna, then open its KerbNet window and you can see the resource concentrations in the surrounding area.

Got it.  I thought there might have been more to it so thanks!

• 2 months later...

I seem to have some sort of glitch with the mod. The rover parts appear in the research and development lab, but when I go to the VAB they don't show up, even though they have been unlocked. Anyone know how to fix this?

UPDATE

Nevermind guys, I reinstalled CCK and it works fine now. :)

Edited by KetamineHCl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.