[Minimum KSP version 1.11] Surface Mounted Lights v1.19

IgorZ

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@IgorZ, do you know of any way to change the range and brightness of the lights in this mod? The AviationLights mod can do it, and I find it real helpful. But I like the models in your mod a lot better. :) Also, an option to change the skin color of the lights in your mod might be nice. Maybe just swap between black and white?

1 hour ago, AmpCat said:

@IgorZ, do you know of any way to change the range and brightness of the lights in this mod? The AviationLights mod can do it, and I find it real helpful. But I like the models in your mod a lot better. :) Also, an option to change the skin color of the lights in your mod might be nice. Maybe just swap between black and white?

@AmpCat maybe a MM patch to add the AviationLights Module (sic)?

Spoiler

// replace light control module in W485_SurfaceLight,W485_Surface4WayLight,W485_SurfaceOmniLight
@PART[W485_*]:NEEDS[AviationLights,SurfaceLights]:FINAL
{

!MODULE[ModuleColoredLensLight] {}
	Module
  	{
		name = ModuleNavLight

// default configuration is a white navlight
		Color = 1.00, 0.95, 0.91
		Intensity = 0.50
		LightOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.025
		//LightOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.05

LensTransform = lens_Square; lens_Pyramid; lens_Glass; lens_Fisheye

FlashOn = 0.5
		FlashOff = 1.5
		Interval = 1.0

//Energy consumption rate
		EnergyReq = 0.020

SpotAngle = 170
		LightRotation = 0, 180, 0
	}
}

// zer0Kerbal

thanks for reminding me - I need to update the slimer lights. :P

Edited by zer0Kerbal
missing slime

47 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

@AmpCat maybe a MM patch to add the AviationLights Module (sic)?

Hide contents

// replace light control module in W485_SurfaceLight,W485_Surface4WayLight,W485_SurfaceOmniLight
@PART[W485_*]:NEEDS[AviationLights,SurfaceLights]:FINAL
{

!MODULE[ModuleColoredLensLight] {}
	Module
  	{
		name = ModuleNavLight

// default configuration is a white navlight
		Color = 1.00, 0.95, 0.91
		Intensity = 0.50
		LightOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.025
		//LightOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.05

FlashOn = 0.5
		FlashOff = 1.5
		Interval = 1.0

//Energy consumption rate
		EnergyReq = 0.020

SpotAngle = 170
		LightRotation = 0, 180, 0
	}
}

// zer0Kerbal

thanks for reminding me - I need to update the slimer lights. :P

Nice. Let me give this a try. One of these days I should sit down and learn to make mods. So many hobbies. :p 

Also, wasn't there a mod that lets you control and alter light color, strength, etc during flight?

Edit: @zer0Kerbal, I gave this a try, just by flat cut/paste of what you posted, but it didn't work. Now the lights are just stuck on, and can't be adjusted. Did I need to do something else?

Edited by AmpCat

1 hour ago, AmpCat said:

Nice. Let me give this a try. One of these days I should sit down and learn to make mods. So many hobbies. :p 

Also, wasn't there a mod that lets you control and alter light color, strength, etc during flight?

Edit: @zer0Kerbal, I gave this a try, just by flat cut/paste of what you posted, but it didn't work. Now the lights are just stuck on, and can't be adjusted. Did I need to do something else?

it was worth a try. *sigh*

yes, I was just thinking of  - Kerbal Electric -

4 hours ago, AmpCat said:

didn't work

5 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

This here is likely the issue; I'd be surprised if the Surface Lights parts had any of those elements, and the plugin wouldn't know where to apply the light effects. If you can find out the proper transform names, my guess is that it might just work.

6 hours ago, AmpCat said:

What's exactly the "range"? I figured the "brightness part". Never used the AviationLights mod.

22 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What's exactly the "range"? I figured the "brightness part". Never used the AviationLights mod.

Range is how far the light will illuminate things. Normal physics would dictate that brightness governs how far the light goes, but not in KSP!

You should give it a try. They have lots of customization that I've not seen in other light parts. Personally I don't use blinking features or anything, but toggling between spot and point source, then brightness and range are nice features to tweak the glow of light cast on your ship. Can get some cool effects.

Edited by AmpCat

2 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Range is how far the light will illuminate things. Normal physics would dictate that brightness governs how far the light goes, but not in KSP!

Got it. Created a feature request. Feel free to throw your ideas there. And it's not gonna happen soon, sorry. I'm busy on another project right now.

19 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

No sweat. Just offering ideas! Maybe I'll be able to figure it out, once I have some time too.

Please, let me know if you'll be able to use MM to have it setup.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:51 AM, IgorZ said:

Please, let me know if you'll be able to use MM to have it setup.

Ug. I can't even get the AviationLights module working with the stock lights. I'm asking the author for some help. In the meantime, do you know of any other KSP light mods with other similar options?

3 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Ug. I can't even get the AviationLights module working with the stock lights. I'm asking the author for some help. In the meantime, do you know of any other KSP light mods with other similar options?

Restock

Spoiler

// IF Restock present, adjust lights to use Restock Light Module
@PART[OrbitalTugPod,helperDrone,DronePod,OrbitalGrapplerJR]:NEEDS[OrbitalTug]
{
   @MODULE[ModuleLight]:NEEDS[!ReStock]
   {
      @name = ModuleStockLightColoredLens
      %lightR = 1.0
      %lightG = 0.9
      %lightB = 0.8
      lensBrightness = 0.6
   }
   @MODULE[ModuleLight]:NEEDS[ReStock]
   {
      @name = ModuleColoredLensLight
      %lightR = 1.0
      %lightG = 0.9
      %lightB = 0.8
      lensBrightness = 0.6
   }
}
// zer0Kerbal

I know there are others - just not remembering.

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Restock

Hide contents

// IF Restock present, adjust lights to use Restock Light Module
@PART[OrbitalTugPod,helperDrone,DronePod,OrbitalGrapplerJR]:NEEDS[OrbitalTug]
{
   @MODULE[ModuleLight]:NEEDS[!ReStock]
   {
      @name = ModuleStockLightColoredLens
      %lightR = 1.0
      %lightG = 0.9
      %lightB = 0.8
      lensBrightness = 0.6
   }
   @MODULE[ModuleLight]:NEEDS[ReStock]
   {
      @name = ModuleColoredLensLight
      %lightR = 1.0
      %lightG = 0.9
      %lightB = 0.8
      lensBrightness = 0.6
   }
}
// zer0Kerbal

I know there are others - just not remembering.

Huh. Interesting. They did it differently. I noticed when I tried to edit the Restock adjusted lights, it doesn't do anything. Now I know why. It renamed the light module. I didn't think of looking there. What are those parts though? Another mod called OrbitalTug?

2 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Huh. Interesting. They did it differently. I noticed when I tried to edit the Restock adjusted lights, it doesn't do anything. Now I know why. It renamed the light module. I didn't think of looking there. What are those parts though? Another mod called OrbitalTug?

Yes, but the patch originates from ChopShop, which has a LED 'headlight' for its roverbodies.

6 hours ago, AmpCat said:

I did some research on this. I really doubt the stock lights can be easily adapted to the intensity/range things. The intensity setting can technically be addressed via SurfaceMountLighst mod, since this mod deals with the light animation. However, the range setting will be tricky. It's a light setting, which is usually selected at prefab stage. Overriding it may work in one case and don't work in the other. And, I guess, that's why MM didn't work.

Anyway, let's clarify the use case. I understand why intensity control is essential. Why would the range setting be important? How would player use this setting and for what?

On 5/23/2019 at 2:24 AM, Corax said:
  On 5/22/2019 at 8:57 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

This here is likely the issue; I'd be surprised if the Surface Lights parts had any of those elements, and the plugin wouldn't know where to apply the light effects. If you can find out the proper transform names, my guess is that it might just work.

@Corax Yes, those transform names are specific to the AviationLights models...
You would have to replace those names with proper ones from the models for the parts you are trying to add support to.

there are a couple mods out there that let you "deconstruct" a model's gameobject hierarchy, in-game...
Primarily, Debug Stuff works very well. Using that, you can find the proper transform names you need, for any model.

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

I did some research on this. I really doubt the stock lights can be easily adapted to the intensity/range things. The intensity setting can technically be addressed via SurfaceMountLighst mod, since this mod deals with the light animation. However, the range setting will be tricky. It's a light setting, which is usually selected at prefab stage. Overriding it may work in one case and don't work in the other. And, I guess, that's why MM didn't work.

IIRC, AviationLights is hard-coded to adjust the range setting, based on settings defined in the cfgs.

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Anyway, let's clarify the use case. I understand why intensity control is essential. Why would the range setting be important? How would player use this setting and for what?

I suppose range could be used to differentiate between indicator lights, nav lights, wide-beam and spot lights.... (ranging from shortest to longest range) ... range and intensity arent necessarily the same thing, and dont necessarily equal "brightness", either...

Edited by Stone Blue

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@IgorZ

One thing that I miss are pop-up headlights, such as seen on cars like this:

lBeuMqj.png

When they are down, the top surface is flush with the rest of the car.

I'd like to have these for shuttles and spaceplanes.  Any change of your making them?

Main difficulty here is the animated model. If anyone could make it, I'd gladly add it to the mod.

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@IgorZ

One thing that I miss are pop-up headlights, such as seen on cars like this:

lBeuMqj.png

When they are down, the top surface is flush with the rest of the car.

I'd like to have these for shuttles and spaceplanes.  Any change of your making them?

Actually, B9 parts has some spotlights in enclosed aerodynamic housings, with doors that open. B9 has a couple nice light options.

17 hours ago, IgorZ said:

The range is really nice, because sometimes I don't want the beams flooding out everywhere (like the stock spotlights), and sometimes I do want them to go out a ways, for instance to illuminate landing or docking targets. Sometimes I want the beams to reach across the length of a station or ship, but neither option is good. The range lets me tweak it just right. It also allows some neat effects by making very short range, but high intensity lights of one color, say around a reactor so it sort of glows. Then another color as wash lights over the rest of the vessel.

Hey, come to think of it, there's a few very nice parts in B9's parts pack. Most are kinda meh, but a few good ones. I don't suppose they could be re-purposed? I'm not up to speed on the full meaning of all these licenses and what's really allowed.

47 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Hey, come to think of it, there's a few very nice parts in B9's parts pack. Most are kinda meh, but a few good ones. I don't suppose they could be re-purposed? I'm not up to speed on the full meaning of all these licenses and what's really allowed.

Well, taking someone's models and bringing them into another mod is not exactly how it works. I bet there are mods out there that have good models, but we cannot just take them and add into the SurfaceLights. I wish I could make my own models, but I'm not a model person. The best thing I can make in Blender is a simple object like box or sphere. My field of expertise is coding, there I can do much.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.