IgorZ

[1.7+] Surface Mounted Lights - v1.13

Recommended Posts

Just now, rfelipe200 said:

I'm trying to find it, but there's no log file in my KSP_Data folder. How do I generate it?

Have you followed the link? There are screenshots there that says exactly where the file is located and how to find it.

KSP.log location

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rfelipe200 said:

Yup. This one. And here is your problem - the wrong ModuleManager:

[LOG 23:16:47.880] Load(Assembly): /ModuleManager.3.0.6
[LOG 23:16:47.881] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at B:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.3.0.6.dll
[LOG 23:16:47.902] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'ModuleManager' V2.5.0
[LOG 23:16:47.902] Load(Assembly): /ModuleManager.3.0.7
[LOG 23:16:47.902] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at B:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll

In fact, you have two managers (which is very bad by itself), and none of them of the right version. You need version 3.1.2. Drop the managers you have, download the right one, and copy it to the GameData folder. Or better install CKAN and have it managing your mods :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Yup. This one. And here is your problem - the wrong ModuleManager:


[LOG 23:16:47.880] Load(Assembly): /ModuleManager.3.0.6
[LOG 23:16:47.881] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at B:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.3.0.6.dll
[LOG 23:16:47.902] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'ModuleManager' V2.5.0
[LOG 23:16:47.902] Load(Assembly): /ModuleManager.3.0.7
[LOG 23:16:47.902] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at B:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.3.0.7.dll

In fact, you have two managers (which is very bad by itself), and none of them of the right version. You need version 3.1.2. Drop the managers you have, download the right one, and copy it to the GameData folder. Or better install CKAN and have it managing your mods :) 

Aight, it worked. Thanks.

And while we're at it, I just made pt-br localization files for KIS and Surface Lights. Working on KAS as we speak.

Edited by rfelipe200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rfelipe200 said:

Aight, it worked. Thanks.

:cool:

5 minutes ago, rfelipe200 said:

And while we're at it, I just made pt-br localization files for KIS and Surface Lights. Working on KAS as we speak.

Sounds awesome! Feel free to either create a Pull Request in the repository, or simply send me the files (via PM).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 1:45 PM, IgorZ said:

Not sure what do you mean. 1.10 (one-ten) is a logical increase to 1.9 (one-nine). There is no rule to have the minor number of the version to be in a range of [0; 9]. And I never seen any issues with CKAN in this matter.

I meen whatever works really...when i see 1.9 to 1.10 i usually take the 0 off and look at it like 1.1. Maybe that's not the kosher way to look at it..but thats just how I am I guess..

If you plan on going to 1.11 or something after, I understand your reasoning. However I would find it less confusing if it was like 1.09 to 1.10. But Thats where ckan gets confused per@JH4C explanation.

@JH4C 1.8.06 is an example from mk2x mod with 1.3.1 compatibility checked. Its an older version and ckan treats it as an updated version when you have backwards compatibility enabled. So by your reasoning the 1.8.06 looks like 1.8.6 to ckan..hense it thinks its an updated version to 1.8.3.4 which is the actual up to date version of that mod(at this time).

 

Ive already mentioned this with the ckan team. Im not sure much can be done about it..as it technically works as intended like JH4C said. But that also meens certain versioning methods cant be used(1.09 to 1.10)

Even tho this mod isnt affected by this..i was still confused at first. Im just pointing this stuff out. If it works, it works. As it stands now I have to uncheck backwards compatibility to check for certain mods being updated(mk2x and CA-mk3block in my case). Im really just trying to prevent that list from growing as it can cause confusion. Thats all..carry on and sorry if I upset anyone. Im just trying to help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I love using this mod; it makes rescue missions so much easier when my ships have running lights!

 

However, I have noticed a strange thing: when mounting the Omni light on some parts, the light shines right through solid objects.

 

The most obvious example is the Cheetah engine cowling; mount Omni lights on the outside and the inside gets lit up. I have checked and there's no part of the light itself showing through the object.

 

It is also noticeable on the Service Bays; lights on the inside illuminate exterior surfaces and vice versa.

 

I think that even for Kerbals photons should be stopped by solid objects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From memory, that's a game engine limitation. Unless it's a spotlight (i.e. casting light in a certain direction), it's going to light up everything near it. If it is a spotlight, it's going to light up everything in it's path. According to MOARdv, The Unity Light object includes controls to turn on shadow casting for a light, but I don't know if KSP allows them to work. If it does work, it's likely to get quite expensive to calculate, especially when you have many light sources and parts on the same vessel moving (solar panels, service bays, antennae, etc).

Edited by BudgetHedgehog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh, that's a shame. Is there a way to tweak the light so it only sheds light in the hemisphere that's "up" from its mounting point then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose some sort of wide angle spotlight would do it, but I think that'd need to be a new part, I don't think it's possible to config-bash one together. More than happy to be proved wrong by someone more knowledgeable than me though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BudgetHedgehog said:

From memory, that's a game engine limitation. Unless it's a spotlight (i.e. casting light in a certain direction), it's going to light up everything near it. If it is a spotlight, it's going to light up everything in it's path.

Correct, this is how Unity works. It's technically possible to design the scene so that some of the faces won't be lit by the ambient light, but it's not the case for KSP.

7 hours ago, Espatie said:

Is there a way to tweak the light so it only sheds light in the hemisphere that's "up" from its mounting point then?

Only at the significant cost of performance.

Edited by IgorZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thank you for the explanation. On another note, am I right in thinking that the lens brightness determines how far away is lit up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Espatie said:

On another note, am I right in thinking that the lens brightness determines how far away is lit up?

Nope. The lens color and brightness are pure cosmetic things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coloured lights are more than cosmetic! Very useful to have running lights to show which way is which on the ship when above nightside. Red for Port and green for Starboard, like on a sailing vessel, and I use blue for Ventral so can always see at a glance which way the vessel is lying in the dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Espatie said:

Coloured lights are more than cosmetic! Very useful to have running lights to show which way is which on the ship when above nightside. Red for Port and green for Starboard, like on a sailing vessel, and I use blue for Ventral so can always see at a glance which way the vessel is lying in the dark.

Well, I meant they are cosmetic in terms of affecting the Unity light source. I'm glad you've found a use for the colored lens :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



@IgorZ  I really liked the feature that changes the color of the lens. Compatibility with Restock would be very appreciated! I tested and the lights don't turn on at all.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:



@IgorZ  I really liked the feature that changes the color of the lens. Compatibility with Restock would be very appreciated! I tested and the lights don't turn on at all.

Thanks.

Have you reported to restock that their shiny new mod broke this mod? Also you need to provide logs for troubleshooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MaximumThrust Restock is supposed to be a replacement for stock parts, hard to see how it would stop lights for an unrelated mod from working, this is why you need to provide logs to see what's breaking. It could be something needs to be added to Restock's blacklist and nothing actually wrong with this mod which is why I suggested posting it in the mod thread that apparently created the problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

@IgorZ  I really liked the feature that changes the color of the lens. Compatibility with Restock would be very appreciated! I tested and the lights don't turn on at all.

This issue look more relevant to be logged against the Restock mod. If you provide logs I may check and suggest what's wrong, but I doubt the solution is on the surface light's side. I briefly checked the Restock description, it doesn't seem they ever did anything to the lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

This issue look more relevant to be logged against the Restock mod. If you provide logs I may check and suggest what's wrong, but I doubt the solution is on the surface light's side. I briefly checked the Restock description, it doesn't seem they ever did anything to the lights.

Restock Blacklist removes stock textures to save memory. If your mod is reusing stock textures that may be the issue...here's the info from the ReStock page. If you need further help I can point you in the right direction. It took me a couple minutes to update my mod for this with a simple text file.

 

Asset Blacklisting

Restock uses a novel method to stop KSP from loading stock assets - a blacklist file. This reduces the memory footprint of installing this mod by unloading models and textures that are not required. However, this method may break mods that depend on the stock assets. There is an easy way around this as we provide a method to whitelist files. Check the entry on the Restock Wiki for more information about this. 

 

@blowfish wrote the blacklist code, so he's a good resource too

Edited by Tyko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MaximumThrust, @Tonka Crash I've created a bug.

@Tyko Thanks for the info. However, the problem is in the new models for spotLight1 & spotLight2 parts. Even though they are not named in the list of refactored parts, they were actually refactored. And the lighting animation is not compatible with the old approach. It may be more complicated to fix it than simply whitelisting an asset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

@MaximumThrust, @Tonka Crash I've created a bug.

@Tyko Thanks for the info. However, the problem is in the new models for spotLight1 & spotLight2 parts. Even though they are not named in the list of refactored parts, they were actually refactored. And the lighting animation is not compatible with the old approach. It may be more complicated to fix it than simply whitelisting an asset.

Looping in @Nertea for more help here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.