[Minimum KSP version 1.11] Surface Mounted Lights v1.19

IgorZ

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

like this license: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Public License

yeah, but then you run into ethical and etiqutte issues...

like, if you take *one* model... why not take moar?... or *all* of them?...
Then you are basically just taking things from one (active or working) mod, and replacing that mod's plugin for another... vOv
Possibly killing or stealing that other mod's thunder...

10 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Hey, come to think of it, there's a few very nice parts in B9's parts pack. Most are kinda meh, but a few good ones. I don't suppose they could be re-purposed? I'm not up to speed on the full meaning of all these licenses and what's really allowed.

13 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

yeah, but then you run into ethical and etiqutte issues...

like, if you take *one* model... why not take moar?... or *all* of them?...
Then you are basically just taking things from one (active or working) mod, and replacing that mod's plugin for another... vOv
Possibly killing or stealing that other mod's thunder...

Isn't this how some of the old ZZZ parts have been kept alive? I've seen containers, greenhouses, and a folding antenna that ZZZ made public domain reused in a couple mods. Since these were intentionally in the public domain from a maker that's long disappeared it's a little different than taking parts from an active mod to republish. What's legal and what's ethical always seems to devolve into a flame war, but I wouldn't try republishing models from another active mod without explicit permission from the mod maintainer.

However, for personal use I have no problem with doing whatever you want. I've got a handful of parts I maintain locally where I cherry picked a model I liked out of a mod I don't use to replace a sub-par model in a mod I do use. 

10 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

like this license: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Public License

Right. Probably off topic, but I'm always leery of taking someone's work without an okay to do so. Would be nice if you could just use some of those nice models, since it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. They also had some nice squareish (octagonal?) 2.5m spaceplane parts.

15 minutes ago, AmpCat said:

Right. Probably off topic, but I'm always leery of taking someone's work without an okay to do so. Would be nice if you could just use some of those nice models, since it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. They also had some nice squareish (octagonal?) 2.5m spaceplane parts.

I always suggest what you suggest. I might (for personal only) attempt to get the ASET deployable lights working in on my own system.

now @Fengist was active in early March (19) - so could always reach out.

I personally ALWAYS install Surface Lights, and like LinuxGuruGamer, dream about having more. (That one about pop-up lights, using flush mounted models (like the flush RCS) caught my attention. :cool::P )

Okay, I talked with @MOARdV, and he pointed out a simple problem in getting AviationLights to work on the SurfaceLights. The second module is case sensitive, needs to be MODULE. But now, the existing light from the original Surface Mounted Light is stuck on. Here's the patch I used:

// replace light control module in W485_SurfaceLight,W485_Surface4WayLight,W485_SurfaceOmniLight
@PART[W485_*]:NEEDS[AviationLights&SurfaceLights]:FINAL
{

!MODULE[ModuleColoredLensLight] {}
	MODULE
  	{
		name = ModuleNavLight

// default configuration is a white navlight
		Color = 1.00, 0.95, 0.91
		Intensity = 0.50
		LightOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.025
		//LightOffset = 0.0, 0.0, -0.05

FlashOn = 0.5
		FlashOff = 1.5
		Interval = 1.0

//Energy consumption rate
		EnergyReq = 0.020

SpotAngle = 170
		LightRotation = 0, 180, 0
	}
}

// zer0Kerbal

It still has a few issues (aside from the default light being stuck on); need to figure out how to make the lens portion of the model adjust according to the light change, and adjust the offset and possibly angle to match the emitting surface. MOARdv suggested this is doable.

Maybe we can collect as many light models and assets together and make one UberLight mod. :p 

19 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Okay, I talked with @MOARdV, and he pointed out a simple problem in getting AviationLights to work on the SurfaceLights. The second module is case sensitive, needs to be MODULE. But now, the existing light from the original Surface Mounted Light is stuck on. Here's the patch I used:

It still has a few issues (aside from the default light being stuck on); need to figure out how to make the lens portion of the model adjust according to the light change, and adjust the offset and possibly angle to match the emitting surface. MOARdv suggested this is doable.

Maybe we can collect as many light models and assets together and make one UberLight mod. :p 

*faceplant* I should have seen the module/MODULE - always cap MODULE.

Up to @IgorZ and the other mod authors - but one Light Umbrella would be great.

am *slowly* working on creating patches to update DeployableLights to KAS 1.3...

@linuxgurugamer KerbalElectric has two popup lights - (round + rectangular-round) that are somewhat what you were talking about for popup-headlights.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

3 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Up to @IgorZ and the other mod authors - but one Light Umbrella would be great.

I'm open to suggestions to add a new light in the mod (given there is a model, because this is the thing I cannot do). However, I don't believe it's feasible to make one "lighting mod" that covers everyone's needs. Good to see that NavLights mod works good with the SurafceLight models. Now people have a choice :) 

Btw, I'd like to point out that the models in SurfaceLights mod don't belong to me. If they were, I'd release them under Public Domain as I do with all my code, but they are under Creative Commons license, and the real author has left this game long time ago. Even if I'd like to donate the models to some other mod, I simply cannot do it. Same problem would likely happen if someone else decides to donate models to my mod. That said, a MM patch that improves SurafceLight mod parts looks like the best approach. It's a stupid situation, if you ask me, but that's how it works. I wish Squad team required all third-party mods, models, and textures to be Public Domain. It would solve a lot of mods maintaining issues.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IgorZ, you're the best! Have loved this mod since forever and it's always updated! Thank you!

Unfortunately it looks like the latest version of ReStock broke your patch - as soon as I remove MM-StockLights.cfg operation resumes as normal on stock Mk1 and Mk2 illuminators. With the patch, the stock Mk1/Mk2 lights are always on but emitting no light.  All your other lights work fine!

Running KSP 1.8.1, all mods up to date, etc. Looking forward to a fix!

JJWabjp.png

53 minutes ago, Chimichanga said:

IgorZ, you're the best! Have loved this mod since forever and it's always updated! Thank you!

Unfortunately it looks like the latest version of ReStock broke your patch - as soon as I remove MM-StockLights.cfg operation resumes as normal on stock Mk1 and Mk2 illuminators. With the patch, the stock Mk1/Mk2 lights are always on but emitting no light.  All your other lights work fine!

Running KSP 1.8.1, all mods up to date, etc. Looking forward to a fix!  

Hmm. We've been thru this before. Looks like they've changed the models again. I had to remove restock mod due to it increases loading time (and I mostly develop and debug, rather than play). Will check it out. Thanks for the report!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 10:05 PM, IgorZ said:

Hmm. We've been thru this before. Looks like they've changed the models again. I had to remove restock mod due to it increases loading time (and I mostly develop and debug, rather than play). Will check it out. Thanks for the report!

So I looked at The restock-lights.cfg . And did a quick before and after. This line ":HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock]" Has been added to @PART[spotLight1] and @PART[spotLight2] . I have no clue what this line does or why it was added ? But removing it from the config file seems to make everything work again. No guarantees it won't screw something up but it seems to be working fine for me. 

Edited by Delbrutis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • [Fix #4] Add range and spot angle adjutsable controls.
  • [Fix #27] Allow light color and status be controllable in EVA and in flight.
  • [Fix #28] Stock lights don't show up in the CCK category.
  • [Change] Stop complaining about KSP minor version change.
  • [Enhancement] Add PAW action to reset the changed settings to the state at the scene load.
  • [Enhancement] Allow ReStock+ light parts orientation for EVA adjustment.

FYI. I reconsidered my opinion about this mod. Initially, I assumed it's only about some new lighting parts. Well, now I don't think so. From now on and going forward it's about the lighting in general. If you have your suggestions about lighting enhancements in the game, feel free to express these ideas here. What can technically be done, will be done.

13 hours ago, dan1ell1ma said:

Seeker Directional light. Led stripe lights (sticker). Pulse light. Bigger and smaller sizes. Engine lights.

Pulse light is a good idea. What is "engine light"? The other ideas would require new light part models, and here I'm hopeless. I can give active behavior to an existing model, but creating new models is not my field of expertise :( 

42 minutes ago, dprostock said:

Laser?

For what use-case? Laser beam in vacuum is not visible, so the best thing you get is just a dot at the target.

6 hours ago, IgorZ said:

For what use-case? Laser beam in vacuum is not visible, so the best thing you get is just a dot at the target.

Alignment? Mirrors? Distance measurement? A simple raving...

Another. Mobile emitter light, radial, to aim discretionary.

17 hours ago, dprostock said:

Alignment? Mirrors? Distance measurement? A simple raving...

Alignment is a good point. Many times I suffered of inability to precisely land. However, a single laser dot may not be enough. May be a set of dots? E.g. like it's depicted in "Wall-E" cartoon: a serie of dots that form a circle, and the radius decreases as you approach the target (surface).

Mirrors? Distance measurement? A simple raving...

Could you please elaborate, in terms of the mod that deals with lights?

Another. Mobile emitter light, radial, to aim discretionary.

Yeah, was thinking about it too. I think it can be made from the stock light parts. Need to do some experiments though. If the idea works, many different lights will be possible. Like a light that automatically sets focu on a vessel in the proximity (e.g. a kerbal in EVA).

Edited by IgorZ