Are brown dwarf planets even planets?

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Language is dynamic. It changes. According to Webster a planet is a large celestial body in a solar system. The issue here is: what "is" large? Pluto would seem large to us if we were on it. Jupiter would seem small from far away. So, depending on your interpretation of large, anything could be a planet.

Webster has no authority on the classification of celestial bodies, the IAU decides

1 hour ago, NFUN said:

This is a toy car. Does that mean it is an actual car?

Ferrari_LaFerrari_01.JPG

You just proved the point by showing us an actual car. No one can deny this is a car. A toy car, but a car nonetheless.

44 minutes ago, NFUN said:

Well, I guess everybody will be excited I'm going to buy them all brand new cars for their birthdays.

Thats rather easy since for everyone here, their birthday has well past. Now if you are talking about the anniversery of their birthday, well, I think i'll take a Rolls. 

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

Thats rather easy since for everyone here, their birthday has well past. Now if you are talking about the anniversery of their birthday, well, I think i'll take a Rolls. 

latest?cb=20090612150837

• 1 month later...
On 14.05.2016. at 9:29 PM, Fiddlestyx said:

A brown dwarf planet, <----- see that last word?

Same goes for Pluto, a dwarf planet, it's still a planet no matter what NDT says. :D

"Dwarf planet" is not a type of planet. It's not a subcategory. It's an entirely new species among planetary bodies.

3 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

"Dwarf planet" is not a type of planet. It's not a subcategory. It's an entirely new species among planetary bodies.

Which is one of the more confused parts of the new definitions that were established after Pluto. It makes no sense. Though it does not matter - we are in a transitional state. Even within our Solar System, we are making discoveries regularly, causing the definitions to bend and warp. As soon as we start mapping other solar systems with any accuracy, we will likely need a complete overhaul of the system once again. We have defined things based on what we know and what we know is very little. Add a couple of systems and different logic and categories will show themselves.

Even the current nomenclature has issues. A rogue planet is and feels like a planet, but should not be called a planet. Meanwhile, it turns out there are lots of them out there.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, PB666 said:

With this discovery, I think that brown dwarfs should be categorized between Supermassive Jovian Planets (SJPs) and Ultracool Dwarf Stars (UDS). The phrase "Brown Dwarf" can still be used to describe both categories together, but now there is a way to determine what to call object orbiting around them. This object, WISE 0855 would count as an SJP because of its temperature (250 kelvin) and mass (4x Jupiter/1,272x Earth). Something like HD 29587 B would be a UDS due to its mass of 55 times that of Jupiter. The dividing line between SJPs and UDS should be either 20 Jupiter masses or a temperature of 860 Kelvin (1,000 Fahrenheit).

Now, with this categorization, here are what the known brown dwarf "planets" should be classified as:

• 2M1207 b: Planet (Host mass of ~26.175 Jupiter masses)
  • MOA-2007-BLG-192Lb: Planet (Host mass of ~62.82 Jupiter masses)
  • 2M J044144 b: Planet-mass binary companion (Host mass of ~20.94 Jupiter masses)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.