[1.8-1.11] Advanced Jet Engine v2.17.0 (June 26)

blowfish

Yeah I wrote all that code--or modified existing code to suit. It might be something to do with a fixed pitch prop having too much bite at slow speeds, more bite than the engine's BHP. Put an issue on the AJE repo and ( @blowfish ) assign me and I'll try to look at it in the next week or two.

@theonegalen fairly trivial since they're all KSPFields so you can get them via getfield stuff on the module rather than doing reflection yourself. Or you could just hardbind to both RPM and AJE now that version issues loading DLLs are fixed.

I mean, fairly trivial if you know how RPM plugins like that work. I don't tho :P

Something I did just realise: Although negative fuel flow/negative Horse power is obviously something wrong, negative prop thrust isn't. If the throttle is low enough the prop should be acting as an airbrake more than a propeller.

On 5/31/2017 at 2:08 PM, NathanKell said:

Yeah I wrote all that code--or modified existing code to suit. It might be something to do with a fixed pitch prop having too much bite at slow speeds, more bite than the engine's BHP. Put an issue on the AJE repo and ( @blowfish ) assign me and I'll try to look at it in the next week or two.

@blowfish I created the issue for you to assign

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be localization support for KSP 1.3.0 version?

I'm currently working on Chinese translation of ALL engines in AJE, including title, manufacturer and description. It is done by modulemanager cfg

I think translation can help users clearly know more about the engines

On 6/10/2017 at 8:42 AM, Duck1998 said:

Will there be localization support for KSP 1.3.0 version?

I'm currently working on Chinese translation of ALL engines in AJE, including title, manufacturer and description. It is done by modulemanager cfg

I think translation can help users clearly know more about the engines

I haven't thought about translation yet, but it's definitely something I can look into.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Darkfedor said:

Heva you an idea of when you publish AJE for 1.3 ?

Given that FAR doesn't have a 1.3 release yet I haven't seen a huge demand yet.  Are you using a dev version of FAR?

3 hours ago, blowfish said:

Are you using a dev version of FAR?

been wondering myself if there is a 1.3 compatible dev version, since Kobymaru's Trajectories mod is listed for 1.3 and says it has FAR support and I read the entire OP and change log and no mention was made of FAR support being unavailable

Just got a question (this is really more out of curiosity than anything else), but would it be possible to:

1- have the flames of the afterburner resemble more like those of the missiles from BDArmory, they just seem much more accurate of how afterburners should look (but then again, I have no idea how these things are modeled in KSP/Unity)?

2- have the afterburner flames not be so visible in daylight and more so at night? 

Cheers,

16 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Just got a question (this is really more out of curiosity than anything else), but would it be possible to:

1- have the flames of the afterburner resemble more like those of the missiles from BDArmory, they just seem much more accurate of how afterburners should look (but then again, I have no idea how these things are modeled in KSP/Unity)?

2- have the afterburner flames not be so visible in daylight and more so at night? 

Cheers,

1. I've never looked into how BDArmory does effects.  It might be similar compatible but I have no idea.
  2. There's no way to artificially adjust the intensity based on ambient lighting.  There might be some combination of intensity and transparency that looks more like this visually, but I haven't worked with effects enough to know for sure.

10 minutes ago, blowfish said:
  1. I've never looked into how BDArmory does effects.  It might be similar compatible but I have no idea.
  2. There's no way to artificially adjust the intensity based on ambient lighting.  There might be some combination of intensity and transparency that looks more like this visually, but I haven't worked with effects enough to know for sure.

I see. Thanks for the info. Might be worthwhile to check. I've noticed that their flame effects also have nice reflections on crafts and seem to execute the dynamic ambient lighting stuff well. I dont know for a fact if they actually do, but I have noticed that they seem to. Might have to go back and do some testing to see. Anyways, I love this mod and I just thought it would be that much nicer with tweaked reheat flames. :wink:

Cheers!

18238046_10155433330442450_1037766170767
18278544_10155433330472450_6962634936779

2 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

I see. Thanks for the info. Might be worthwhile to check. I've noticed that their flame effects also have nice reflections on crafts and seem to execute the dynamic ambient lighting stuff well. I dont know for a fact if they actually do, but I have noticed that they seem to. Might have to go back and do some testing to see. Anyways, I love this mod and I just thought it would be that much nicer with tweaked reheat flames. :wink:

Cheers!`

You could probably get the lighting effect with the engine lighting mod.  I don't think it's possible to do that with stock effects.

Just now, blowfish said:

You could probably get the lighting effect with the engine lighting mod.  I don't think it's possible to do that with stock effects.

Does it tweak AJE engine effects? Or does AJE even tweak engine exhaust effects at all?

Just now, Calvin_Maclure said:

Does it tweak AJE engine effects? Or does AJE even tweak engine exhaust effects at all?

As far as the stock engines go, AJE makes sure that the effects engage at the correct times (i.e. afterburner only while afterburning), but doesn't change them beyond that.

The engine lighting mod doesn't do anything special for AJE.  It actually excludes stock jets, but the patch misses AJE so you'll get lighting on AJE engines too.  The effect would probably have to be tweaked to look right, but that's not something I have the time to do right now (you're welcome to and submit a PR though)

• 1 month later...

Is it just me or is the GEnx grossly oversized as it is at the moment?

Its diameter is about 5 meters and its intake area as stated in its description is almost double that of CF6. As far as I know in real life the diameter is supposed to be only 2.7 meters.

Also are there any configs or mod part packs that would add the really big ones like the GE90? What about the non afterburning versions of the old ones that are in there currently or maybe the JT3? I think generally it would be helpful to know what particular engines the supported mod packs add...

AJE behaviour in higher atmospheric pressures?

I read that AJE incorporates bits of NASA EngineSim, but the basic EngineSim doesn't allow a user to specify atmospheric pressures beyond 150 kPa. EngineSimU does permit that.

I want to try AJE-modded engines on Galileo's Planet Pack, specifically Tellumo, where sea level air pressure is 1013 kPa (!) and ATM densities seem to slightly exceed 12 ATM (!!!). Will the EngineSim bits of AJE support pressures and densities that high?

I'll be testing this with the current Ferram Aerospace that supports KSP 1.3.

[Update] Apparently AJE does support higher pressures, and corresponding stronger thrust, faster fuel consumption, and other things that go with it.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Testing results

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.