[1.8-1.11] Advanced Jet Engine v2.17.0 (June 26)

blowfish

On 3/22/2018 at 12:50 AM, blowfish said:

AJE v2.11.0 for KSP 1.4.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.4.1
  • Fix spelling of pitot tube
  • Add missing SXT inlet

there we go!! woot!! ohh just an fyi, ckan refuses to download its currently repo'd version(AJE v1.1.1) for 1.4.1. im assuming its version locked of some sort. But yea, just lettin ya know

Edited by Jesusthebird

3 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

there we go!! woot!! ohh just an fyi, ckan refuses to download its currently repo'd version for 1.4.1. I had to come here to confirm a current version release but seems ckan isnt updated to reflect that, just lettin ya know!

Yes, because FAR isn't released for KSP 1.4.1 yet.  CKAN already has the metadata but it won't show up until FAR is there too.

@blowfish could you tell me how to set electricity usage for electric propellers?

I've made config for SXTeFan, everything works as expected except for electricity usage which seems to be ridiculously low.

@PART[KAXelectricprop]:FOR[AJE]
{
	@title=AJE e50 Electric Propeller Engine
	@description= 300 horsepower low-speed propeller, consumes about 250 EC/s
	@mass = 0.1

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		@name=ModuleEnginesAJEPropeller
		IspMultiplier = 1
		useOxygen = false

maxRPM = 2650
		minRPM = 300
		power = 300
		gearratio = 1.0

propName = 81in2CS
		BSFC = 4.5e-5
	}

}

@PART[FSPropellerEngineElectric]:FOR[AJE]
{
	@title=AJE Electric Propeller Engine
	@description= 800 horsepower, consumes about 600 EC/s

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		IspMultiplier = 1
		useOxygen = false
		power = 800
		minRPM = 300
		maxRPM = 1600
		gearratio = 1
		turbo = 1
		BSFC = 4.5e-5

propName = RotolRX5
	}

}

@PART[FSpropellerFolding]:FOR[AJE]
{
	@title=AJE Folding Electric Propeller
	@description= 500 horsepower, consumes about 400 EC/s

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		IspMultiplier = 1
		useOxygen = false
		maxRPM = 3000
		minRPM = 300
		power = 520
		gearratio = 1
		BSFC = 4.5e-5

propName = 81in2CS
	}

}
@PART[SXTeFan]:FOR[AJE]
{
	@title=Airbus E-Fan
	@description= 40 horsepower low-speed propeller,
	@mass = 0.035

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
		IspMultiplier = 1
		useOxygen = false

maxRPM = 2650
		minRPM = 300
		power = 40
		gearratio = 1.0

propName = 81in2CS
		BSFC = 4.5e-5
	}

}

35 minutes ago, winged said:

@blowfish could you tell me how to set electricity usage for electric propellers?

I've made config for SXTeFan, everything works as expected except for electricity usage which seems to be ridiculously low.

Does changing BSFC not change EC consumption?

2 hours ago, camlost2 said:

AJE v2.11.1 is released

• Rotary wing aerodynamics
  • Stability augmentation system via user-defined PID controller
  • supports complicated configs like tandem-rotors and tilt-rotors
  • easy to fly, build and make cfg
  • use joystick or mouse , keyboard could be hard

The AJE folder seems to be missing in this release. The files are in the root folder of the ZIP, so users would have to make their own folder.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

what do Kp, Ki, and Kd stand for? I know, it seems a bit stupid but I honestly don't know :blush:

Kp is the proportional gain, Ki is is the integral gain and Kd is derivative gain of PID controler. It is easy to understand but hard to master topic. Link on wikipedia PID page might be a good start to look for more info. Or if you prefer video, here is small tutorial that explain everything in simple way to understand.

In essence, PID controller is very powerful tool that is used almost everywhere in robotics or in any kind of automatization.

Is it just me or do some of the engines, mostly turbofans, have really high idle thrust levels, yet do not develop their rated thrust at full throttle?
Also the thrust seems to fall off extremely fast with speed... Even with pure turbojet engines...

Why is that happening?

6 hours ago, Kitspace said:

Is it just me or do some of the engines, mostly turbofans, have really high idle thrust levels, yet do not develop their rated thrust at full throttle?
Also the thrust seems to fall off extremely fast with speed... Even with pure turbojet engines...

Why is that happening?

The idle thrust is an estimate of what is required to keep air flowing through the engine.  I have no idea if the idle thrust AJE produces is comparable to actual engines, if you have any data on this I would be interested to see it.

If engines are not developing their full thrust it's probably either insufficient intake area or because it's hot out.  Rated thrust is at 15°C, and the Kerbal Space Center is usually a lot hotter than that, even at night.

Thrust dropping - is this at constant altitude, or in a climb?  You might want to verify the result in level flight.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, blowfish said:

The idle thrust is an estimate of what is required to keep air flowing through the engine.  I have no idea if the idle thrust AJE produces is comparable to actual engines, if you have any data on this I would be interested to see it.

If engines are not developing their full thrust it's probably either insufficient intake area or because it's hot out.  Rated thrust is at 15°C, and the Kerbal Space Center is usually a lot hotter than that, even at night.

Thrust dropping - is this at constant altitude, or in a climb?  You might want to verify the result in level flight.

The docs in the following links can give an idea of what the idle thrust of a high bypass turbofan engine should be compared to its rated takeoff thrust.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/767sec6.pdf
http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/777rsec6.pdf

For the smaller low bypass turbofans it usually seems to be in the region of 6-7%. For example people quote takeoff thrust of 16000 pounds and idle thrust of 1040 in standard conditions for a JT8D-17.

For pure turbojets I do not have concrete data but it seems to be slightly higher again at around 8-10%.

I hope this proves useful and will try to find more data for different examples and such.

Also the general rule of thumb from the point of view of a pilot is that the aircraft can taxi without slowing down at all at ground idle thrust but quite a bit more is required to get it rolling at first. So I guess a reasonably made kerbal aircraft with a realistic thrust to weight ratio should do the same?

How hot is Kerbal Space Center? I have always thought Kerbal Space Program does not simulate any weather or non standard conditions... That might be the explanation then. And with regards to speed I was going back and forth down the runway to test that. So altitude should not be a factor here.

Edited by Kitspace

Simple question. Does AJE modules need IntakeAir (resource, not piece) to work?

Looking at the code, I'd guess ModuleEnginesAJEPropeller and ModuleEnginesAJERotor don't need actual IntakeAir, nor intakes. They bring their own intakes and validate oxygen themselves. I'm not so sure about ModuleEnginesAJERamjet, but the pattern does look similar. Only ModuleEnginesAJEJet actually seems to need external intakes with AJEInlet and it doesn't seems to consume the IntakeAir... Only to use AJEInlet presence and performance.

7 hours ago, Ryujin no Mai said:

Simple question. Does AJE modules need IntakeAir (resource, not piece) to work?

Looking at the code, I'd guess ModuleEnginesAJEPropeller and ModuleEnginesAJERotor don't need actual IntakeAir, nor intakes. They bring their own intakes and validate oxygen themselves. I'm not so sure about ModuleEnginesAJERamjet, but the pattern does look similar. Only ModuleEnginesAJEJet actually seems to need external intakes with AJEInlet and it doesn't seems to consume the IntakeAir... Only to use AJEInlet presence and performance.

Welcome to the forums!

The jet and ramjet modules require intakes but not intake air.  AJE has its own intake calculation that eliminate the resource.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.