[1.8-1.11] Advanced Jet Engine v2.17.0 (June 26)

blowfish

What can cause engines producing no thrust? My engines start and vessel has enough air intakes, ut red glowing engine do nothing more. No fuel is used up. I am testing this in an RO/RP-1 install with ROTanks and procedural tanks.

Testet AJE and Solver Engine in a pure stock install. No thrust still :-(

Edited by New Horizons

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, New Horizons said:

What can cause engines producing no thrust? My engines start and vessel has enough air intakes, ut red glowing engine do nothing more. No fuel is used up. I am testing this in an RO/RP-1 install with ROTanks and procedural tanks.

Testet AJE and Solver Engine in a pure stock install. No thrust still :-(

I'm also having this issue and thought the culprit was my outdated Real Fuels install, but this is spammed in my log when trying to use any turbofan/turbojet:

[EXC 18:40:51.430] ArithmeticException: Function does not accept floating point Not-a-Number values.
    System.Math.Sign (System.Double value) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    AJE.SolverJet.CalculatePerformance (System.Double airRatio, System.Double commandedThrottle, System.Double flowMult, System.Double ispMult) (at <0ae9f534f9aa4fa094046d18ae4b2ece>:0)
    SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.UpdateSolver (SolverEngines.EngineThermodynamics ambientTherm, System.Double altitude, Vector3d vel, System.Double mach, System.Boolean ignited, System.Boolean oxygen, System.Boolean underwater) (at <74850d43f7ff48019de0b8ae9698d99b>:0)
    SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FixedUpdate () (at <74850d43f7ff48019de0b8ae9698d99b>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

~

I'm also using AJE Extended configs, but absolutely none of them work; game version 1.9.1.

Edited by lysergicknight
spelling

Checking back to see if this got a reply, but I decided to see if SolverEngines needed an update or something and found that AJE bundles a 'EngineDatabase.cfg' file which has an incorrect version number for the Solver dll. I'm going to try changing that to match the current version (3.7.5, instead of 3.3 which is what the config defines) to see if it helps anything.

-

Update: This isn't the problem, no effect by changing the version number.

Edited by lysergicknight
update

On 3/21/2020 at 4:52 PM, lysergicknight said:

I'm also having this issue and thought the culprit was my outdated Real Fuels install, but this is spammed in my log when trying to use any turbofan/turbojet:

I'm also using AJE Extended configs, but absolutely none of them work; game version 1.9.1.

Does the issue happen with the stock AJE configs, or just for engines configured with AJE Extended?

3 hours ago, lysergicknight said:

Checking back to see if this got a reply, but I decided to see if SolverEngines needed an update or something and found that AJE bundles a 'EngineDatabase.cfg' file which has an incorrect version number for the Solver dll. I'm going to try changing that to match the current version (3.7.5, instead of 3.3 which is what the config defines) to see if it helps anything.

-

Update: This isn't the problem, no effect by changing the version number.

I wouldn't expect it to.  It's just used to cache some calculations.

1 hour ago, lysergicknight said:

This happens with AJE installed alone as well, just tried it on a clean save (screenshot).

My full log file, here.

I see that you have RealFuels installed but nothing that configures it (RF Stockalike or Realism Overhaul).  Try fixing that first.  Not sure if that's the issue but you do have a lot of mods installed.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:15 PM, blowfish said:

I see that you have RealFuels installed but nothing that configures it (RF Stockalike or Realism Overhaul).  Try fixing that first.  Not sure if that's the issue but you do have a lot of mods installed.

Well, upon installing Stockalike I can see this, new of course:

[WRN 20:33:49.499] 1 warning related to GameData/RealFuels-Stockalike/fix-part-categories.cfg
[WRN 20:33:49.499] 2 warnings related to GameData/RealFuels-Stockalike/Jet_modularEngines.cfg
[WRN 20:33:49.499] 1 warning related to GameData/RealPlume/RealPlume-RFStockalike/AJE.cfg

I don't know what that entails, but from reading the AJE Extended thread, the mod-author (Citizen) states that configs such as these aren't necessary since AJE Extended configures the engines for Real Fuels itself. Last page if you're curious. Oh and, it didn't work with Stockalike installed either, same problem.

I'm happy to assist with anything else you have in mind to test this issue, but I'm fairly certain that this is related to AJE and not a simple mod-conflict.

Edited by lysergicknight
edit

If it can help, the console is spamming this

TJ1GzFC.png

Log here

here is an interesting part

(Filename: <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6> Line: 0)

ArithmeticException: Function does not accept floating point Not-a-Number values.
  at System.Math.Sign (System.Double value) [0x00034] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at AJE.SolverJet.CalculatePerformance (System.Double airRatio, System.Double commandedThrottle, System.Double flowMult, System.Double ispMult) [0x004d1] in <0ae9f534f9aa4fa094046d18ae4b2ece>:0 
  at SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.UpdateSolver (SolverEngines.EngineThermodynamics ambientTherm, System.Double altitude, Vector3d vel, System.Double mach, System.Boolean ignited, System.Boolean oxygen, System.Boolean underwater) [0x00039] in <74850d43f7ff48019de0b8ae9698d99b>:0 
  at SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FixedUpdate () [0x000fc] in <74850d43f7ff48019de0b8ae9698d99b>:0 

EDIT: Fixed it by installing solverengines directly from the github.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

3 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

EDIT: Fixed it by installing solverengines directly from the github.

This works, thanks for the tip. I had tried this at some point but apparently the files were overwritten by something else.

Edited by lysergicknight

• 5 weeks later...

I am playing KSP 1.7.3 with RSS RO and RP-1 and AJE(2.14 compatible with 1.7.3 and RO) and everything works fine except when I am trying to use J57-P-21 or J75 engines - basically engines with afterburners.(I am playing Career Mode and have not unlocked other engines of this class).

By simply adding a tank and engine - in game info and MJ is showing delta V = 0 though it is showing TWR>0 and a burn time of 1K sec appx. only  KER is showing a delta v value - and the vehicle is not moving even if engines are on, in full throttle , giving thurst and showing nominal status. one thing I noticed is in SPH if I leave the engines without attaching it to anything while editing my craft , I cannot re-select it.

Can somebody help if I need to add some special part of have something special when having this engines in plane to make them work as this is the first time I am trying AJE.

EDIT: same is for atar 9k and j79 GE 17, again J58 is working fine

Edited by SinchanX

5 hours ago, SinchanX said:

I am playing KSP 1.7.3 with RSS RO and RP-1 and AJE and everything works fine except when I am trying to use J58-P-4 or J75 engines - basically engines with afterburners.(I am playing Career Mode and have not unlocked other engines or this class).

By simply adding a tank and engine - in game info and MJ is showing delta V = 0 though it is showing TWR>0 and a burn time of 1K sec appx. only  KER is showing a delta v value - and the vehicle is not moving even if engines are in full throttle and showing nominal status. one thing I noticed is in SPH if I leave the engines without attaching it to anything while editing my craft , I cannot re-select it.

Can somebody help if I need to add some special part of have something special when having this engines in plane to make them work as this is the first time I am trying AJE.

Sounds like an exception is happening somewhere, I need KSP's log to diagnose.  Please see the "how to get support" link in my signature for how to get that.

13 hours ago, blowfish said:

Sounds like an exception is happening somewhere, I need KSP's log to diagnose.  Please see the "how to get support" link in my signature for how to get that.

Here is the log.

I have mentioned one of the engine names wrong - problem is with J57-P-21 and J75 engines. same is for atar 9k and j79 GE 17, again J58 is working fine

17 hours ago, SinchanX said:

Here is the log.

I have mentioned one of the engine names wrong - problem is with J57-P-21 and J75 engines. same is for atar 9k and j79 GE 17, again J58 is working fine

Well I do see some exceptions coming from FAR.  I can't spend too much time chasing down issues on old versions of KSP, but are you certain that you have the latest version of FAR that works on that KSP version?  Perhaps an issue was fixed?

I tried the J-75 in a 1.9.1 test install and everything seems fine.

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar issues where engines provide negative thrust. I have an install with just AJE, SolverEngines as downloaded from the GitHub (not the one packaged with AJE), and Module Manager 4.1.3 on KSP 1.9.1. Here are some things I've noticed:

• The J85-GE-4, AL-31FM, J58-P-4, and J75-P-17 all had negative idle thrust, but moving the throttle even slightly brought the thrust back to positive. Their maximum thrust was less than advertised; these variations ranged from losing 3kN of thrust on the J85 to losing 46kN on the J75. However, I only tested the engines on the ground, so if they provide more thrust at certain speeds, then perhaps the max thrust isn't an issue, although idle thrust is still very much an issue.
  • The CF6-50E was the only engine that didn't have a negative idle thrust. Its maximum thrust was also less than advertised, losing about 42kN, but again I only tested on the ground.
  • The CF34-3B is by far the worst hit engine, with an idle thrust of -8.9kN and a maximum thrust of 2.4kN. It only reaches non negative thrust around 88% throttle. Now as stated above, I don't know if the engines provide more thrust at certain speeds, but even then, 2.4kN is really bad haha. Once I start rolling, the thrust jumps to 10kN but quickly drops as my speed increases - by 45m/s it was only putting out 7.6kN.

There were no errors or really anything of relevance in KSP.log or the console.

I could've sworn I saw this issue posted earlier but I couldn't find it in either this thread or the AJE Extended thread.

(Also, I did test with SolverEngines included in the AJE download and had the same issues, but I didn't do as much testing)

Edited by BrawlerAce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hello i am playing this on ksp version 1.8.1 using CKAN, mod version 2.15.0 but to me it seems like engines do not perform how they should. For instance at sea level sitting on the runway the J-58-P4 engine produces negative twelve kilo-newtons of thrust, and the F100-PW only produces twenty-two kilo-newtons of thrust, also at sea level and static pressure. 

26 minutes ago, nome352 said:

J-58-P4 engine produces negative twelve kilo-newtons of thrust

So you go backwards??      Cool.     But sorry, I can't help you, we'll have to wait for somebody who knows what they are talking about.

• 1 month later...

I am also experiencing negative thrust:KstmFW4.png

I'm on 1.10.1 with LRTR, RSS, RF, RealFuels-Stock, Kopernicus Bleeding Edge and a lot of other mods, so I thought there was some conflict in my install, but reading the comments above it seems more a general AJE issue. I don't see anything relevant in my log.

The weird thing is it first happened to an existing plane mid flight during a stall. And now my new plane has it at the runway.

I'm testing other things at the moment so I will uninstall AJE for now. But I will test again on a clean install soon. Any things to look out for?

• 2 months later...

Is it healthy for a good 80% of my jets to only use liquid hydrogen? (Even jets which don't actually use Liquid Hydrogen are using Liquid Hydrogen.)
Also, is it normal for all of my propellers and rotors (and tail rotors) to not be using any fuel at all?
(I'm not using RealFuels.)

Edited by bobby72006

• 2 months later...
On 12/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, bobby72006 said:

Is it healthy for a good 80% of my jets to only use liquid hydrogen? (Even jets which don't actually use Liquid Hydrogen are using Liquid Hydrogen.)
Also, is it normal for all of my propellers and rotors (and tail rotors) to not be using any fuel at all?
(I'm not using RealFuels.)

That does seem weird, AJE doesn't do anything with hydrogen by default though so must be some other mod patching them.  Maybe something related to NTRs if I had to guess?

On 3/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, blowfish said:

That does seem weird, AJE doesn't do anything with hydrogen by default though so must be some other mod patching them.  Maybe something related to NTRs if I had to guess?

Ah, might be the culprit then.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, blowfish said:

On 3/18/2021 at 5:09 PM, bobby72006 said:

Ah, might be the culprit then.

i am also having this issue. i have noticed that it seems like only the engines configured by AJE extended are being affected in this way, when not using real fuels. still trying to track down exactly what is going on, AJE extended uses mm templates for patching the fuel types of the engines, the module manager cache shows the templates being loaded, but for some reason not applied (the engines still end up with liquid hydrogen when it should be LF (no real fuels installed).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.