[1.8-1.11] Advanced Jet Engine v2.17.0 (June 26)

blowfish

On 3/18/2021 at 5:09 PM, bobby72006 said:

Ah, might be the culprit then.

UPDATE: was having the same problem, it was the dynamic NTRs use LH2 optional patch from Kerbal Atomics that was doing it. made a quick edit to LH2NTRsDynamic.cfg, which i'll share here:

// MM Configs for changing various NTRs to use LqdHydrogen
// Dynamic patch by TheToric
//
// modified by ink0r for AJE and AJE Extended compatibility w/o Real Fuels installed

// added an exclusion for anything with ModuleEnginesAJE* (ie *AJEJet, *AJEPropellor, etc)
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel],!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer],!PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]],!MODULE[MultiModeEngine],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesAJE*]]:NEEDS[!NTRsUseLF]:FOR[zzLH2NTR]
{
	@mass *= 0.75

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel],!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer],!PROPELLANT[IntakeAir]]
	{
		@PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel]
		{
			@name = LqdHydrogen
			@ratio = 1.0
		}
		@atmosphereCurve
		{
			@key,*[1, ] *= 1.1
		}
	}
}

cheers, o7

• 1 month later...

Advanced Jet Engine v2.17.0 for KSP 1.8.x to 1.11.x

• Add support for centrifugal-flow compressor jet engines. These perform considerably worse than axial-flow jets approaching transonic and only slightly recover supersonic.
  • Reenable transonic and supersonic drag on propellers since FAR properly ignores the rotor disc and therefore does not itself provide wave drag.
  • Piston engines need 0.2kg/m^3 or higher air density to work. No more space props.
  • Fixes to exhaust gas temp calcs on piston engines.
  • Fix engine max temp if undefined to be 1800K not 3600K (!).

Thanks @NathanKell for doing this while I've been busy with real life stuff

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I am looking into the AJE settings for "jet types".

I did locate the "standard jet" and ramjet... but I was wondering if there was an existing setting or set of entries for one of the existing, for "PULSE JETS".

I am sure you are more aware than I of pulsejets so I wont add any details on them.

I guess it boils down to:

"How would one setup a RO (realistic to life) pulsejet in AJE?" or can that even be done?

My interest was in the Argus as 044-510, Chelomey D-6, D-7, D-7-14 and D-14-14 pulsejet units, which I was able to compile specifications for.

Also is their a wiki or other set of information on a "how too" of the AJE module settings, specifically in relation to Turbojets and more so, Ramjets?

Thank you for your time

Edited by KarlDunhuff

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bother you with an issue but it appears the early afterburning turbojets, such as the j57, are broken for me. Running ksp v1.10 and current version of RO and RP1, said engines appear to be missing their nozzles and while they can be staged and will appear to be working in the PAW they wont actually provide any thrust. I have tried back dating to previous versions of both AJE and Solver without any change.

Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S2iTijVynS4XDkCHRPb5C4MC4dVRG0jp/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Issue seems to be caused by Vens stock revamp changing their file directory from however it was when AJE was written. Temp fix for now is to go into the Squad.cfg in AJE and changing the model directory for the turbojets , in my case to "VenStockRevamp/PartBin/NewParts/JetEngines/HighBypassJet".

Edited by Datdankwaifu
Found possible fix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 6:33 AM, Datdankwaifu said:

Sorry to bother you with an issue but it appears the early afterburning turbojets, such as the j57, are broken for me. Running ksp v1.10 and current version of RO and RP1, said engines appear to be missing their nozzles and while they can be staged and will appear to be working in the PAW they wont actually provide any thrust. I have tried back dating to previous versions of both AJE and Solver without any change.

Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S2iTijVynS4XDkCHRPb5C4MC4dVRG0jp/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Issue seems to be caused by Vens stock revamp changing their file directory from however it was when AJE was written. Temp fix for now is to go into the Squad.cfg in AJE and changing the model directory for the turbojets , in my case to "VenStockRevamp/PartBin/NewParts/JetEngines/HighBypassJet".

Thank you for posting this fix!  The jets are broken right now in RO/RP1.  I was going to just leave space planes behind forever and just do rockets.  I'm glad I did a little digging and found this post.  

Edit:  I now realize why I was having problems.  I did not follow the RP-1 installation guide which uses an earlier version of KSP.  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/Installation

I have created a new game properly following the installation guide and now everything works right out of the box.

Edited by Sabe042

• 5 weeks later...

Did anyone ever figure out a fix for jet sounds muting at idle? It looks like it was brought up in this thread a couple years ago but was brushed aside as being a problem with the stock jet engine sound configs. But the stock jets definitely have sound at idle.

The suggested solution of simply changing the volume curve so it doesn't drop off to zero results in jet sounds even when the engine is shut down.

@blowfish

I know it's has been discussed before, but jet engines lose too much thrust from high ambient temp. From some preliminary research it seems many modern commercial engines are flat rated to  30*C. Which makes sense when you consider these engines have to operate in conditions ranging from Alaska to Dubai. Currently in game I am getting around 75% of the rated thrust on the runway at KSC. While the ambient temp is above 30*C, it's around 35*C, it shouldn't have that drastic of a reduction if it's meant to reflect reality. While I have been unable to locate anything stating military jet engines are rated the same; I would assume they to have some flat rating to the thrust output so they can operate in whatever condition the war theater might be in. Regardless I doubt the 25% reduction in rated performance is accurate in all but the most extreme conditions. This research paper shows that even without flat rating the loss in power resulting from a deltaT of 30*C is not more than 15%. Which starting at 15*C ISA would be 45*C; Hotter than KSC.

All that is to ask can I do something from the config side to reduce power loss, or does this require a change in the assumptions of the underlying simulation? While I can just up thrust numbers to get rated thrust on the ground this will result in less realism in all other conditions. Thanks!

Edit: Found another paper discussing the effects of ambient temperature on gas turbine engines. Of note there is Figure 13 displaying overall power output for an engine. That displays a loss of around 12% with a change in ambient temp of 280K to 300K

Edited by Svm420
More research support

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, especially @camlost, @NathanKell, @ferram4, @blowfish . I have some ideas for this mod.
P. S. This was written before I found out about the existence of AJE, so some things, as I see, have already been implemented. + this was written about Airplane Plus, although it is quite possible to apply to other similar engines.

And I have a few questions:
1. Will there be full Airplane Plus support? There is support for some helicopter engines from there, but for some reason I did not find patches for all the others/the game does not display support for these engines. Although there is everything necessary for this.
2. I heard somewhere that the support of propellers can be transferred to KSPWheel. How will it differ from Firespitter?

Do not throw slippers for such questions, even if they may seem stupid.  Thank you very much.

By the way, the mod is cool anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everybody. Is the development of this mod still active? 3/4 of the developers have not been online for a long time

If yes, then I want to report some shortcomings (it's hard to call it bugs):
1. Jet engines in idle mode do not make sounds (when the throttle value = 0). The engine itself works as it should work
2. The propeller engines are not working properly (with throttle value = 0).
In theory, in this mode, the engine should consume fuel, rotate the propeller, etc. (which happens when the thrust value is > 0)
This applies TO ALL engines THAT DO NOT USE the code for jet engines (i.e. propellers)

MNOjXr6FmQQ.jpg?size=1280x1024&quality=9

3. Sounds of piston engines. It feels like they are idling all the time (although this is not the case). I think this should be fixed

4.  This person has identified several bugs

On 1/13/2018 at 3:29 AM, Citizen247 said:

Known problems:

Hide contents
  • The lower power engines (<100hp) don't currently generate their correct power level. I'm working on it.
  • The Kuznetsov NK-12 turboprop (14,750hp) is currently "only" set to 11,000hp. When set higher the engine bugs out and causes craft to explode. I'm fiddling with config settings, but this may be a limit of AJE.
  • ModuleEngineConfigs NullReferenceException errors.
  • Part field warnings.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

Those are issues with AJE-Extended

Quite strange. Personally, I have seen incorrect operation of AJE algorithms. Most likely, I'm wrong...

In any case, AJE requires fine-tuning and refinement

And if it doesn't bother you, read this and this. Maybe you can find a couple of ideas...

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm referring to these:

• The lower power engines (<100hp) don't currently generate their correct power level. I'm working on it.
  • The Kuznetsov NK-12 turboprop (14,750hp) is currently "only" set to 11,000hp. When set higher the engine bugs out and causes craft to explode. I'm fiddling with config settings, but this may be a limit of AJE.
  • ModuleEngineConfigs NullReferenceException errors.
  • Part field warnings.

They're issues I've identified with AJE-E configs. With exception of the the NullReferenceExceptions which are coming from realfuels.

12 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

The lower power engines (<100hp)

And

12 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

The Kuznetsov NK-12 turboprop (14,750hp) is currently "only" set to 11,000hp

In theory, AJE is a clever algorithm that calculates the thrust of a propeller (and not only, but at the moment we are interested in this) engine, based on its power, size and characteristics of the propeller and other parameters of the engine itself
Actually, the config just feeds the required variables to the algorithm to get the desired result
If everything is fine with the config itself, then the problems are on the side of the algorithm

In the first case, the motor simply does not develop the necessary speed, which, logically, is physically impossible (the motor must stall in this case)
I can't say anything about traction, it seems to be normal for such a motor (at operating speeds, which are achieved at high speed, so taking off from a place creates problems)

I didn't check the second case (I didn't put 14,500 hp on the NK-12 instead of 11,000 hp), so I can't say anything

By the way, some of the problems are indicated by me in this message above

Based on the above, I can sin precisely on the algorithms of AJE
Well...or all your configs have errors

By the way, can you make a config for this mod? It's pretty well worked out to forget about it

Spoiler

The helicopter looks like Aérospatiale AS.350 Écureuil
It has a Arriel 2B engine with a capacity of 847 hp .

Pznt5QJDwhc.jpg?size=800x477&quality=96&

jQpXhsqCWlw.jpg?size=1280x1024&quality=9

LhstAbhcVVQ.jpg?size=1280x1024&quality=9

By the way, about the effects... try using Waterfall. An example of my work for the Yumo-004 engine is attached

By the way, engines using Squad models would do well to add these effects. Because there are no such effects in the "clones" created by AJE, but they are present in the original engines

Spoiler

Adding engine operation effects for the "Kumo Jet Engine" engine from the Retro Future mod
Note: Some of the things I did are not worth doing!

@PART[kumoJet]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[StockWaterfallEffects]
{
  // Removes the stock effect block, and replace it with one that has no particles
  //!EFFECTS {}
	EFFECTS
	{
		running
		{
			 PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_smokeTrail_light
				transformName = smokeTransform
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.05 1
				emission = 1.0 3 0 0
				speed = 0.0 0.2
				speed = 1.0 1
				localOffset = 0, -0.50, 0
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = RetroFuture/Sounds/RF_jetLow
				volume = 0 0
				volume = 0.05 0.5
				volume = 1 3 0 0
				pitch = 0 1
				pitch = 1 1.5
				loop = true
			}
		}

engage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_vent_medium
				volume = 1
				pitch = 2
				loop = false
			}
		}

disengage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_vent_soft
				volume = 1
				pitch = 2
				loop = false
			}
		}

flameout
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
				transformName = thrustTransform
				oneShot = true
				localOffset = 0, 0, 0		
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = sound_explosion_low
				volume = 1
				pitch = 2
				loop = false
			}
		}
	} 

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
	{
	  %powerEffectName = fx_juno_running
	  %spoolEffectName = fx_juno_spool
	}

MODULE
	{
	name = ModuleWaterfallFX
	moduleID = junoFX
	CONTROLLER
	{
		name = atmosphereDepth
		linkedTo = atmosphere_density
	}
	CONTROLLER
	{
		name = throttle
		linkedTo = throttle
		engineID = Cruise
		responseRateUp = 0.02
		responseRateDown = 0.02
	}
	CONTROLLER
	{
		name = mach
		linkedTo = mach
	}
	TEMPLATE
    {
      templateName = stock-kerozine-turbofan-1
      overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
	  position = 0,0,-0.5
	  rotation = 0, 0, 0
	  scale = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
    }
  }
}

Is it possible to add an intake from another mod? I'm trying to add the Mk1 S-Duct intake from the Cold War Aerospace mod. Under the Inlets folder I've added a ColdWarAerospace.cfg file and included the following data in the file. In-game it looks correct in the SPH, but on launch the intake status reads closed and can't be opened. Thanks for any guidance.

@PART[Mk1_S-Duct_Intake]:NEEDS[AJE]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]
	{
		@name = AJEInlet
		Area = 0.75
		#@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/TPRCurve {}

inletTitle = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/title$
		inletDescription = #$@AJE_TPR_CURVE_DEFAULTS/AdjustableSupersonic/description$
	}
}

Edited by ETR3SS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Complete beginner with editing mods, and I got a question as I was trying to add waterfall effects to AJE engines. The thrustTransform transform is apparently changed to something else. Does anyone know what I should put at the effect parents instead of thrustTransform?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.