Six Six Science - Duna Trek Mission Report with craftfiles

1 hour ago, Karamon said:

Why not make small refueling station on Laythe , bring it first and refuel on the landing site . No need to carry extra fuel in space

When the SSTO goes down with its payload, it will be using almost no fuel, so it will be close to full, when on the surface. I have three containers, so at best, i will go without surface refueling equipment, as the space in those containers is very limited. Besides that, the mothership is pretty overpowered. There will be plenty of fuel available.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally i found a way to safely deliver the containers down to the surface and then get the transport unit back up... this transport frame can carry an immense payload and comes with a huge margin of cross range. During this test, the four wing tanks were left empty, but during its mission, they can be filled for additional cross range if needed. It manages a 100km circular orbit with ease and has more than 400 m/s of delta V left for orbital maneuvering. The payload size has increased a lot since the original design. It is still to determine, if i will bring down two large or three smaller containers to the surface of Laythe, to decrease the risk of landing on rough terrain. The first landing tests resulted in 9 successes out of 10 and one with one ripped off rear landing gear... not bad, but still risky. Flight stability and maneuverability is excellent. Maybe i will equip the containers with parachutes, or add vertical landing capability to the craft itself. Further tests are to be done.

WzG66nn.jpg

1 hour ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I may have tried to copy your awesome SSTO, it can haul about 6 tonnes to LKO, so it should be able to get itself there just fine.  It may be a bit big for your purposes though.

Looks quite cool! The purpose of my SSTO is to deliver something from orbit to the surface and get back up empty though. It must fulfill the requirements of being a) efficient, b) small and easy to transport to its destination and c) reliable enough, to allow Kerbals traveling with it, after a cabin has been attached.

• 6 months later...

I know I'm late to the party but I just found this thread and I must say I love your design aesthetic!  I may steal some ideas from you such as the Jr-Sr-Jr clamp-o-tron docking port arrangement and the Constellation style trusses.

Thanks a lot. Many days and hours went into planning and building the modules and vehicles for this mission. The Constellation part was actually the most fun to design.

I have retired a little from KSP currently, waiting for the next big update and the Making History DLC. Once those two hit the board, i will start another grand scale mission, for which i am currently collecting ideas.

• 1 month later...

@Frank_G, saw this thread in your signature, and read through the entire Imgur album.  That was an impressive mission, and I love a lot of the design characteristics of your DTV and Solar Bird.  I especially liked how you made the Mk3 tanks "roundified" using radiator panels, but still left gaps for things like solar arrays and docking ports.  Still can't believe you accomplished all that on one big mission, so many objectives.  I can't imagine what the part count was like on Kerbin departure. :P

21 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@Frank_G, saw this thread in your signature, and read through the entire Imgur album.  That was an impressive mission, and I love a lot of the design characteristics of your DTV and Solar Bird.  I especially liked how you made the Mk3 tanks "roundified" using radiator panels, but still left gaps for things like solar arrays and docking ports.  Still can't believe you accomplished all that on one big mission, so many objectives.  I can't imagine what the part count was like on Kerbin departure. :P

Thanks you very much. It was quite an endeavor :).

The part count was slightly below 1.000 parts. The first transfer burn was a real pain, but after achieving Duna orbit, the mission was more and more a nice play through. I had to reload here and there though. Especially aerocapture around Duna wasn´t easy. The craft was badly balanced for an aerobrake maneuver and tended to flip. But with patience and playing at 1x time speed it was manageable.

A later setup featured a more balanced DTV, with the tanks moved to the center and the detachable payload to the back, which allowed for a much smoother deployment. I really wish, we get some stock electric propellers to make craft like the solar bird work in atmosphere.

I am really looking forward to the "Making History" expansion. Some new parts and mechanics would open so much possibilities for new missions.

Well, the design is long overthrown as it wasn´t able to repeat its performance in 1.3.0. The design was nothing fancy. You can actually re-create it from the screenshot. No clipped things, mods or so, just what you see. Once "Making History" hits, i will come back to KSP and try something similar again. I really love those custom hull designs. Back in ze olde dayz, there was a player called Overfloater. He made awesome custom SSTOs and it was always fun to watch. You might still find some of his videos on YouTube for some more ideas. Mark Thrimm is also a very good SSTO designer.

But to answer your questions:

A: The maximum payload for a container was 6 tons plus weight of the container  (landing only).

B: I had a crew container ready for 4 kerbals and science equipment.

C: Delta velocity was enough to de-orbit a 6 ton payload with a little cross range and then get back up to orbit with around 300 - 500 m/s left for orbital acrobatics.

Over the weekend I might try to make one bigger that takes crew down too. I'll try to take 4 crew members down and offload with a ramp. Also a science bay.

It might work for rovers but I will make a payload bay too. That is bigger at least.

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

13 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Can I please have the file any ways?

Of course you can. Here you go :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqji5a5lcrkcs48/Draft - SSTO Frame Mk III.craft?dl=0

It is the SSTO frame and the container. Have fun experimenting!

Edit: i couldn´t resist and fiddle around with the design. It now makes it to Kerbin orbit easily in 1.3.0 as well :wink: , i havent tested its payload landing capabilities though.

Action-groups:

1 - toggle R.A.P.I.E.R engines

2 - switch engine mode

3 - toggle air-intakes

5 - toggle solar panel

6 - release container

Edited by Frank_G
More Info

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, Frank_G said:

Of course you can. Here you go :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqji5a5lcrkcs48/Draft - SSTO Frame Mk III.craft?dl=0

It is the SSTO frame and the container. Have fun experimenting!

Edit: i couldn´t resist and fiddle around with the design. It now makes it to Kerbin orbit easily in 1.3.0 as well :wink: , i havent tested its payload landing capabilities though.

Action-groups:

1 - toggle R.A.P.I.E.R engines

2 - switch engine mode

3 - toggle air-intakes

5 - toggle solar panel

6 - release container

Getting a "Missing Invalid Parts" message in the SPH...

Say Missing "fueltank800" file/part?

Hmmmmm, thought this was made with all stock parts?

5 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Getting a "Missing Invalid Parts" message in the SPH...

Say Missing "fueltank800" file/part?

Hmmmmm, thought this was made with all stock parts?

I used Porkjets legacy parts. They are stock value, but use different models which look a lot better, but i didn´t thought of such problems when i used them.

Two posts above i posted a link where you can get the models. I will stop using them in upcoming craft.

8 hours ago, Frank_G said:

I used Porkjets legacy parts. They are stock value, but use different models which look a lot better, but i didn´t thought of such problems when i used them.

Two posts above i posted a link where you can get the models. I will stop using them in upcoming craft.

Awsome!

Thanks!

Love these craft files!

• 5 years later...
On 5/16/2016 at 12:53 PM, Frank_G said:

46jsdD7.png

Over the past 8 weeks, i planned, built and flew a mission i wanted to do for a long time.

Here is the report and the craftfiles. Enjoy, download, comment!

Frank

Special thanks:

Major Jim - for his awesome stock hinge system and tons of comments during construction of the crafts

Raptor 9 - for his inspiring craftfile page

Note:

All crafts are completely stock, with the exception of the satellites. They will require the SCANsat mod.

Complete Mission Album:

Edit: 2016-11-26 - Here is a clean link, so you can view the album, that was linked here, directly on IMGUR, as the inserted albums do not display correctly at the moment: http://imgur.com/a/G0fjX

Profile:

Mission: Orbital Assembly*

r2Is5pp.png

Central Engine Block - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Central Inline Tank - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Left Engine Block - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Right Engine Block - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Left External Tank - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Right External Tank - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Habitat|Lab Section - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Payload 2 - T4 Kerberos SLV-H

Payload 1 - T4 Kerberos SLV-SH

Heat Shield - T2 Pegasus I

Payoad 3 - T2 Pegasus I with special docking vehicle

Crew - T2 Pegasus III with Mosquito crew carrier

* listed in correct launch order

Mission: Orbital survey of Duna and Ike (prior to crewed mission*)

pZvdr9K.png

Duna Hi Res surface scanner - deployed in high polar Duna orbit

Duna Biome scanner - deployed in medium polar Duna orbit

Duna Lo Res surface scanner - deployed in low polar Duna orbit

Ike Hi Res surface scanner - deployed in high polar Ike orbit

Ike Biome scanner - deployed in medium polar Ike orbit

Ike Lo Res surface scanner - deployed in low polar Ike orbit

Duna transfer stage - deployed in very high polar Duna orbit (serve as comms-relay for Duna SOI system)

*delivered on a T2 Pegasus I with interplanetary transfer stage, satellites listed in order of deployment

Mission: Duna Trek

zNw5ysg.png

DTV

Bring crew and equipment to Duna

Break up into 2 vehicles - One stays in orbit around Duna, the other moves on to Ike

Re-assemble

Return crew to Kerbin orbit, then break apart for de-orbit

Rhino Lander

Land on Duna

Construct Habitat

Ground mission - get samples from 3 different biomes

Return to DTV

Octopod Lander

Land on Ike

Deploy Habitat rover

Ground mission - get samples from 3 different biomes

Return to DTV

Solar Bird

Perform high altitude atmospheric scans of Duna

Move to parking orbit, to serve following missions

Mole science carrier

Assist in orbital assembly of Solar Bird

Perform high orbital survey

Download .zip file: [STOCK 1.1.x] All mission craft, packed for orbital assembly, including launchers [added 2016-05-16]

Action-Groups:

1 - toggle DTV LV-N engine blocks

2 - toggle RCS blocks

3 - toggle DTV equipment (solar arrays, antennas etc.)

WARNING: DONT DO, WHILE FRAME IS CONNECTED TO DTV

4 - jettison mission crafts from transport frame

WARNING: DONT TOUCH THESE WHILE PILOTING DTV

5 - toggle return stage engines

6 - toggle descent stage engines

7 - cut drogue chutes / deploy main chutes

8 - deploy cover / toggle rover reaction wheels

9 - deploy payload

0 - toggle equipment (solar arrays, antennas etc.)

Abort - launch return stage / jettison de-orbit capsule of DTV

Mission Infos:

The Crew

Command

Valentina Kerman - DTV Pilot and Mission Commander - stays on DTV

Bob Kerman - Chief Scientist - stays on DTV

Duna Landing Team

Jebediah Kerman - Rhino Lander Pilot

Catly Kerman - Science Officer

Dandrin Kerman - Field Engineer

Ike Landing Team

Jean Kerman - Science Officer

Bill Kerman - Chief Engineer

Mission time:

Launch Date 1y 327d 02:03:23

Return Date 4y 234d 05:20:12

SCIENCE:

4.006,8 from recovered data

+500,0 transmitted from Science Lab

+188,0 transmitted Crew reports

Ike biomes:

Midlands (LZ-01)

South Eastern Mountain Range

Eastern Mountain Ridge

Lowlands

30 different science reports were brought back

Duna biomes:

Lowlands (LZ-01)

Midlands

Highlands

33 different science reports were brought back

Analysis & necessary optimizations (already done in the downloadable craftfiles):

- Add docking port to Ike lander transport frame - HOW COULD I FORGET IRGS HNGN…

- Add fuel to landing stage of Ike lander to prevent suicide burn as only option

- Add antenna to Ike ascent module

- Check action group on Ike landers RCS thrusters

- Add antennas to auxiliary tank module

- Remove shroud from doublepacked inflatable heat shield due to jettison bug

- Remove shielded docking port from science module, as it is bugged (may not release docked craft)

- Add searchlight to Mole science carrier

Optimizations for next mission (not done in the downloadable craftfiles):

- Add second hinge to Rhino rear cargo ramps to prevent it from falling off from phsyics wobble

- Close hinge mounts to prevent ramps from falling off due to landing gear bug, resulting in wobble

- Add monopropellant storage to DTV, current load is sufficient but very limited

- Add reaction wheel to DTV to save more RCS monopropellant

- Move mass of DTV to the middle of the craft for better aerobraking capabilities (prevent flipping)

- Remove 1 or 2 tanks from the DTV as it carries far too much liquid fuel

You have done it, this is the end :wink:

I'd love to see someone redo these exact designs in KSP 2!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.