Make the Sun Kerbol

Generally you'll see in Sci-fi and the such (particularly pertaining to Sci-fi where multiple celestial bodies are colonized) the Moon is often referred to as Luna, because colonies will have different local moons, and some would even be on moons, so the distinction is made for clarity's sake. Often, in these same Sci-fi, the Sun is referred to as Sol, for similar reasons; people living around some other star would consider it their sun.

That said, naming it in the map view as Kerbol (which is the most common name anyway, excluding possibly the "the Sun") isn't really needed. Maybe it could be added to the description of the Sun, but it honestly isn't a necessity.

My two cents on the name itself: I like Kerbol. I've used Kerbol almost the entire time I've played KSP. Maybe Kerbos could be better since, verbally, its more distinguishable from Kerbal, but Kerbol isn't a bad name, especially since it isn't just an existing word with a K slapped on it.

51 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

The problem with Bol is.... Uwe Boll.

The problem with Jool is Jewel Staite.
The problem with Pol is Pol Pot.
The problem with Dres is Dr Dre.
The problem with Moho is this RV:
1269100.jpg?93555e

What was I saying again?

10 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

The problem with Jool is Jewel Staite.
The problem with Pol is Pol Pot.
The problem with Dres is Dr Dre.

You need help on your examples, as the only one that's bad there is Pol Pot.

10 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

The problem with Moho is this RV:
1269100.jpg?93555e

What was I saying again?

You realize that's a very Kerbal RV, right?

I mean, it's exactly what we'd do for an RV that'd land and detach from a wing section for use on Laythe.

4 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

You need help on your examples, as the only one that's bad there is Pol Pot.

Uwe Boll has as much to do with anything in KSP as everyone else I named. Whether he's bad or not has nothing to do with it (and anyway, Dr Dre stinks).

4 minutes ago, almagnus1 said:

You realize that's a very Kerbal RV, right?

Yus. Yus I do.

21 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Uwe Boll has as much to do with anything in KSP as everyone else I named. Whether he's bad or not has nothing to do with it (and anyway, Dr Dre stinks).

It makes about as much sense as "We shouldn't name it because it starts with K", or any of the other reasons provided for why Kerbol isn't an acceptable name for the star.

And also, no accounting for taste, I see.

9 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Do you guys realize this 4 page discussion is the exact reason Squad has chosen not to name it?

But SQUAD named it :wink: It is not that they chose to keep the star unnamed , right? :P They just chose a name that it was not the name the community had chosen back in ol'days and for some reason ,most of the community decided to ignore the devs about this particular name ( it is not that we see people asking to name Kerbin Kearth :P )

Edited by r_rolo1

On 22/5/2016 at 6:54 PM, GregroxMun said:

New idea: Kerbun. Instead of Kerbol for Kerbal Sol, Kerbun for Kerbal Sun. I'm fine with Kerbun, Kerbol, Sun, or whatever else. Of course, @Sigma88 might have something else to say.

actually I don't have anything agains SQUAD changing the name of the sun to Kerbol

I can even go as far as saying that I like the name Kerbol

what annoyes me is that everybody uses "Kerbol" as it's the official name, and this is fine for people talking casually on the forums, but when the ksp wikia (which is not official, but still aims to be a kind of "enciclopedia" of the game) uses the name Kerbol everywhere like it's the official name it kinda gets on my nerves

even more when they go as far as writing crap like:

Kerbol (officially called the Sun or the Star)

but even this doesn't do much more than slightly annoy me, the real problem is when thanks to this misinformation I get flooded by stupid bug reports of people that use "Kerbol" as the name of the sun and break mods like Kopernicus or SigmaBinary, which is definitely annoying after a while. (and a waste of my already limited free-time)

Edited by Sigma88

Yeh, I think @Sigma88 makes a great point here about the difference between what the Sun is called in fluff/literature/on the forums vs what it's called by the game's own processes. Who knows how many subtle ways a change in the coded name could confuse or affect the game, create bugs, break mods and generally ruin everyone's KSP day? Consistency is key. 'Kerbol' as a name is simply less consistent than 'Sun'.

To me, that's end-of-discussion territory.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:21 PM, Knaapie said:

Only logical name in KSP would be to call it "Kun", and give us Uranus too !!

edit: Makes livestreams so much better to watch !

Hm, Kun + Uranus..... AHA! Kuanus! Wait, hmm....... HMMMMMMMMMM. Kernus! THE POSSIBLITIES ARE ENDLESS

1 hour ago, The_Rocketeer said:

This K thing really has gone too far when everything in KSP has to be renamed to have one glued to the front. Next thing you know we'll be burning crosses krosses instead of LFO.

To be fair, there aren't that many Ks in KSP when you think about it. Officially, the only notable objects whose names begin with K are Kerbals and Kerbin. Lots of other names are deviations of the word "Kerbal", such as the name of the game, and the space center, but what else should it be called given the circumstances? In the game about Kerbals and their wacky space program, it's not like naming one after the other is terribly unoriginal. If the Sun was to be named Kerbol in some capacity, the number of K names would increase from 2 to 3. You may call it a 50 % increase, but it's not that very dramatic. Of the 17 bodies present in the solar system, 3 have names beginning with M (4 if you count the Magic Boulder), and even if the Sun was called Kerbol, there would still be as many D and E names as there were K names.

The old meme of "adding K to every word" is a little misleading, I think. It is used very little in-game. Although, there are more parts manufacturers whose name begin with K than any other letter (Kerbodyne, Kerlington and Kerbal Motion LLC) - tied with R and S, that is. We could afford to change the name of the Sun to Kerbol without overusing the K.

19 hours ago, Codraroll said:

The old meme of "adding K to every word" is a little misleading, I think. It is used very little in-game. Although, there are more parts manufacturers whose name begin with K than any other letter (Kerbodyne, Kerlington and Kerbal Motion LLC) - tied with R and S, that is. We could afford to change the name of the Sun to Kerbol without overusing the K.

Sorry, off topic, I know, but am I the only one who never realized that Kerbodyne was Cyberdyne from Terminator?

On 5/17/2016 at 8:11 AM, Alshain said:

I think some people prefer that one because "Astronaut" is originally/typically associated with the United States while "Cosmonaut" is associated with Russia, and Kerbonaut is not partial to either.  The idea being that KSP should be universal and not partial to any one space program.  But yeah I kind of agree with you, I dislike the "K" trend.

And most countries that have sent people to space make their own (Buy now for 10% off. Terms and conditions may apply).

I like Kerbonaut because at least in a few of my headcanons, Kerbin is united, and then we get this, removing national indenties.

and if kerbin is not united, I have diffrent versions per country.  I have too much time to think about KSP but not enough time to play.  Chinese class does that.

• 1 month later...

Why not just make it user configurable?  Then everyone can be happy.  Ok yes there are probably other things that would be more useful, but personally, being a night owl, I'd like to name it "the big scare ball" or when the mood strikes "the big deep fryer."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.