Make the Sun Kerbol

1 hour ago, Shadowsteps said:

The sun is defined (as in, written in the dictionary) as "the star around which earth orbits".  So until Kerbin becomes Earth, the star in KSP is, by definition, not the sun.

That is one of the definitions in the dictionary.

If you use the OED as reference, then the second definition is "1.1 Any star in the universe that is similar to the sun, with or without planets."

Going back further, my 1933 Shorter Oxford has "6. gen. A luminary; esp. a star as the centre of a system of worlds. late ME."

I don't have a German dictionary to hand, but wiktionary gives for "Sonne": "a sun, any star, especially when being the center of a solar system".

The Petit Robert 1 gives "3. Le Soleil... " basically giving a detailed technical description of our sun followed by "Un soleil..." by analogy, a star at the centre of a [solar] system.

Dictionaries reflect common usage. It is common - in many languages - to refer to distant stars as being "suns".

Edited by Plusck

22 hours ago, Alshain said:

I think some people prefer that one because "Astronaut" is originally/typically associated with the United States while "Cosmonaut" is associated with Russia, and Kerbonaut is not partial to either.  The idea being that KSP should be universal and not partial to any one space program.  But yeah I kind of agree with you, I dislike the "K" trend.

KSP isn't universal though. All of the parts are based off US stuff!

11 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Only 2 of the command pods, and the SLS series.  It has the Stayputnik, which is Russian, and now has the Asteroid Day mod (part of it) which is B612 Sentinel.  A lot of the engines closely resemble other space programs engines too.

Edited by Alshain

4 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

The Cupola is based off an ESA module on the ISS. (Tho I guess it was technically a NASA project originally).

Edited by The_Rocketeer

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

For what it's worth, If you dropped "Ker-" and just named Kerbin's sun "Bol" I'd be cool with it.

He could even be - in Kerbin mythology - the brother of Pol and Bop. They betrayed him and bla bla bla Jool whatever.

That's probably the most elegant solution... and therefore the most likely to liquid people off. Either that or Kerbol, and I'll be happy, although I'm going to keep calling it Kerbol until SQAUD decides upon an official (specific) name.

11 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

...and if they see "Duna" in a contract?  Come on people.  Let's try to encourage some intelligence here.  The KSPedia was created for a reason.

Hmmm. Solid point. Im not too worried about it honestly, this is a fun convo though :)

27 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Hmmm. Solid point. Im not too worried about it honestly, this is a fun convo though :)

Really? I thought it was a bit thin. I mean, Duna is called Duna in the Tracking Station...

11 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Come on people.  Let's try to encourage some intelligence here.  The KSPedia was created for a reason.

Yes, but that reason wasn't to encourage intelligence, it was to let intelligent people make a guide for less intelligent people who apparently couldn't achieve in KSP what others had without some sort of leg up. Like the KSP Wiki, just because it exists and was created with the best of intentions, that doesn't mean it's factually correct or fulfils its intended purpose.

54 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Really? I thought it was a bit thin. I mean, Duna is called Duna in the Tracking Station...

Right, but the point is you still have to look it up. If it were called Kerbol in contracts new players might be caught staring at the tracking station for a minute trying to figure out what planet that was before they said "Oh doy its the sun", but thats not the biggest deal.

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

At one point, a Crew Report While In Space High Over Duna said : "You decide to have a staring contest with Kerbol. You lose."

Did it? Are you sure it was a stock playthrough?

22 hours ago, Alshain said:

Only 2 of the command pods, and the SLS series.  It has the Stayputnik, which is Russian, and now has the Asteroid Day mod (part of it) which is B612 Sentinel.  A lot of the engines closely resemble other space programs engines too.

B612 is largely American, and will be using an American rocket. All of the labs and cabins are based on the USOS (including Cupola), the Vector and Mk3 parts are the Shuttle, the Skipper and Mainsail are J2 and F1, the Poodle is an RL-10, etc....

Also, see below.

22 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Stayputnik ?

Sputnik didn't have a bottom node like that permanently attached. That's Vanguard.

22 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

The Cupola is based off an ESA module on the ISS. (Tho I guess it was technically a NASA project originally).

See above.

Edited by _Augustus_

19 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

B612 is largely American, and will be using an American rocket. All of the labs and cabins are based on the USOS (including Copula), the Vector and Mk3 parts are the Shuttle, the Skipper and Mainsail are J2 and F1, the Poodle is an RL-10, etc....

Wait a minute, the ISS wasn't a serious project until after the Russian and US space agencies had joined forces following the collapse of the USSR. Parts based on USOS can't be called US parts any more than the Cupola can be said to be a European part.

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Aapparentlyt bowl of fire, you mean of cours e. 

No, I  spell bol in the same way as ball.

Bole sounds much more like bowl, and doento sound good eough for me.

I wish iI could fix all the typos but appArently editor on mobile is very buggy and i Cant Backspace anythNg ive written. i Can edit the quote though..

Edited by The Aziz

8 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Wait a minute, the ISS wasn't a serious project until after the Russian and US space agencies had joined forces following the collapse of the USSR. Parts based on USOS can't be called US parts any more than the Cupola can be said to be a European part.

Yeah it was. Freedom and Mir-2 were just scaled down before we joined forces.

12 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Bol is cool.

I mean hot as hell, but this name works, it's a giant fireball after all.

10 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

A hot bowl of fire, you mean of course. 

Maybe they should name it Böl to add to the remove all confusion.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe they should name it Böl to add to the remove all confusion.

Bolus to that.

19 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Yeah it was. Freedom and Mir-2 were just scaled down before we joined forces.

While I agree that other space station programs were certainly the antecedents of ISS, this page (and my own deficient memory) seems to suggest that US plans and designs were quite drastically modified in the wake of the integration. I don't see how you can view that as anything other than Russian influence over American design. Ultimately, everything on the ISS was a work of cooperation - everything up their depends on everything else up there doing what it's supposed to do and not doing something else.

On 17.05.2016 at 11:22 PM, Shadowsteps said:

The sun is defined (as in, written in the dictionary) as "the star around which earth orbits".  So until Kerbin becomes Earth, the star in KSP is, by definition, not the sun.

The star in KSP is not the Sun, but it's still a sun. Just like Earth has the Moon, but there are also martian or joolian moons.

Edit: Oh, and BTW, for kerbals, it's The Sun, like it or not.

Edited by J.Random

I like "Bol", or variations of ( Bal, perhaps? ). Never did like "Kerbol" & I've always called it the Sun ( and never liked trying to jam K on everything either :P ).

I'd probably say Kerbalnaut if I had to, but all Kerbals we've seen are space-farers anyway so it's totally redundant.

Edited by Van Disaster

On 17 May 2016 at 11:16 PM, _Augustus_ said:

Although, Probodobodyne is openly based off of the USSR: Stayputnik (spherical design resembles Sputnik), if you look at Probodobodyne's logo it is very deeply linked with Soviet communist design and propaganda (there is a red star, pretty obvious), and the Okto series of probe cores (linking to how Russians stereotypically pronounce "C" like "K").

Saying this, you do make a very good point. But you aren't quite right by saying all of the parts are US based.

Edited by V7 Aerospace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.