Go For Launch: Mission 6: Orbit! Sunday 19 June 5pm EDT/9pm UTC Part A, 8pm EDT/midnight UTC Part B

NathanKell

Working on an alternate banner design, tell me what you think. Top old, bottom new. Keep in mind this isn't finished, so some bits are sorta' messy.aNR83AA.png

Edited by Zucal

Looking forward to a real X1 style mission, awesome!   Will you have two actual pilots able to pilot both craft?    

Also are you guys playing on a linux machine, or is that the linux branch of RVE working on windows?

It'd be nice if, during some of the idle time on missions, the craft designer would talk about some of the considerations that went into their craft,

4 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

Looking forward to a real X1 style mission, awesome!   Will you have two actual pilots able to pilot both craft?    

Also are you guys playing on a linux machine, or is that the linux branch of RVE working on windows?

It'd be nice if, during some of the idle time on missions, the craft designer would talk about some of the considerations that went into their craft,

We're not using multiplayer or stage recovery, so the carrier plane will likely be lost. (Plan subject to change, though.)

Some of us play on Windows, others on Linux (and I think we have a Mac player, too). The "Linux branch" of RVE is only called so because other platforms used to be limited to 32-bit and couldn't handle the big textures, now it works fine on Windows as long as you use 64-bit.

Your last point is one we discussed in the debrief after the mission last time, we had sort of left our PAO to his own devices and he wasn't familiar with the technical details of the craft involved so didn't really know what to say. We're hoping to provide the streamer with some talking points about the craft next time, to fill some of the dead air and help the audience better appreciate what they're seeing.

It's an interesting experience, not only is the KSP game developing new tech but we're also learning about how to make a collaborative stream work, as well as improving our mission control tools. We're still a bit rough around the edges, but we get a bit better every time. :) 

22 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@Fenisse @goldenpeach @hypervelocity @SirKeplan @Ravenchant @tetryds please check Discord for the doodle poll and for notes on banners/logos that need response.

Quoted those who have not yet replied to the doodle. It has been relinked in discord.

In other news:

Our team is now large enough, and spread out enough across time zones, that we need to divide into subteams. That also means that those interested in being a part of this endeavor now have a chance to be. Please let us know if you're interested.

4 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Our team is now large enough, and spread out enough across time zones, that we need to divide into subteams. That also means that those interested in being a part of this endeavor now have a chance to be. Please let us know if you're interested.

Put me down as interested in the mission planning role. I don't think I'll be able to be a part of any streams for a bit, or in the build section, but I can do some planning for you. Also, if you want some insight from the RSP, I'd be happy to share with you.

@NathanKell  I'd like to help!.  What roles are you looking for for the other team?  

I can do builds, talk on stream, or help out with other assorted tasks, but probably not best for flying a craft.

It'd be cool if the two teams had different characters or directives.

For instance:

• a NASA-like team vs a skunk works team
  • A US build team vs a Soviet one.
  • (Eventually) a manned team vs a probe team

Edited by Maxsimal

6 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

@NathanKell  I'd like to help!.  What roles are you looking for for the other team?  

I can do builds, talk on stream, or help out with other assorted tasks, but probably not best for flying a craft.

It'd be cool if the two teams had different characters or directives.

For instance:

• a NASA-like team vs a skunk works team
  • A US build team vs a Soviet one.
  • (Eventually) a manned team vs a probe team

I don't think that competition is the best idea...after all this is a cooperative effort. Maybe better to do missions but always with the same savefile. :)

We are currently aiming for a launch around 6:30pm EDT (10:30pm UTC) on Friday, June 3. I have not yet placed it in the title because it is tentative and depends on tets's internet cooperating, or various fallbacks.

Second attempt also had an issue landing, and going by the footage and the log (regarding what parts died when) it appears there may have been something weird. The first part mentioned destroyed is the central tank, and it is impossible for that to hit the ground unless the nose, engine, or landing gear are destroyed first.

Since in prior (sim) attempts these issues were not encountered, we are continuing to investigate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.