Space Station In Depth

Although it's a sandbox game I think the fact that we can build space stations should have more depth to them. A simulation. Building a space station should allow you to eventually being able to live on other planets (space buildings that have to be flown there piece by piece). Official space station labs (as in without mods) with various purposes.

For example: An exercise research lab to conduct experiments on kerbals on how it effects them when they've been in space for a while. And whatever else is involved in living on a space station and all of the different experiments that need to be done so that eventually we can put our kerbals on other planets where they can live. This would make having other planets more useful and more fun as they could put more things on them so we have a purpose to be on other planets. We could explore and find new things. List is endless if we had the tools available to do so (without mods). Was just playing the game when I thought of this while building a space station. NASA want to do this eventually so why can't we? At the same time we're learning about their work through the game.

Edited by Ketaz

I agree. If the Admin Building worked differently (had PROGRAMS instead of STRATEGIES), we would be able to do a step-by-step research programs on different things, just like IRL.

So let's take the Space Station for an example: The Space Station Research Programs offers a mission to send a newcore module of a new station the HQ is planning to maintain in LKO. Once the core is there you get more missions that tell you to expand the station/rotate the crew/maintain it somehow (KIS/KAS?). You go on with the missions completing them by adding new modules and such and once the main goals are achieved (have a crew of at least 7, rotate it X times, have a lab, perform Y experiments) a new final mission pops up: Deorbit the Station.

After the mission is succesful a new program appears: Interplanetary Manned Vessel Research Program (basically a space station with engines) with new missions focused on building a vessel that is capable of exploring other planets.

i had an contract to build a space station, with an docking port, an antenna etc...
ok, it works
now its abandoned....
why arnt there contracts that are based on another
like:
Build thist station

then: make this station bigger,
add a fuel tank
add engines
make an tripp to ... the mun
etc...

4 minutes ago, Sereneti said:

i had an contract to build a space station, with an docking port, an antenna etc...
ok, it works
now its abandoned....
why arnt there contracts that are based on another
like:
Build thist station

then: make this station bigger,
add a fuel tank
add engines
make an tripp to ... the mun
etc...

You're either playing the demo, an old version or simply haven't played long enough. What you're suggesting has been part of the stock game for quite a long time.

Edited by Tex_NL

3 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

You're either playing the demo, an old version or simply haven't played long enough. What you're suggesting has been part of the stock game for quite a long time.

ok, ill wait, if this station are part of an new contract...

19 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

What you're suggesting has been part of the stock game for quite a long time.

Is it? As far as I remember, stock contract system still ask to launch a new station every time.

But there is a mod for it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/102390-10511x-contract-pack-bases-and-stations-3211-290416-formerly-kerbin-space-station/

20 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Yes, fun fact is that the expand station contract got fulfilled then I hooked up the passenger ship to it for refueling. 
Has gotten move satellite contracts, not stations. 

So part of the solution here actually is life support and a habitation mechanic. The contracts are fine and cool but ultimately are just proscriptive instructions. What would be much more interesting is providing a set of problem-solving criteria: ie--how to keep kerbals alive and happy for long durations in space. If players started with basic life support tanks, then developed scrubbers, then full on hydroponics there would be real progression dynamic for making stations and bases work. You could integrate that into ISRU so players wouldn't just be asked to build a base, building a base would be a smart solution they could employ to solve the larger problem of keeping Kerbals alive. Including a simple habitation dynamic would also encourage players to think more carefully about space and not just send poor Jeb to Eeloo crammed into a lander can.

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

So part of the solution here actually is life support and a habitation mechanic. The contracts are fine and cool but ultimately are just proscriptive instructions. What would be much more interesting is providing a set of problem-solving criteria: ie--how to keep kerbals alive and happy for long durations in space. If players started with basic life support tanks, then developed scrubbers, then full on hydroponics there would be real progression dynamic for making stations and bases work. You could integrate that into ISRU so players wouldn't just be asked to build a base, building a base would be a smart solution they could employ to solve the larger problem of keeping Kerbals alive. Including a simple habitation dynamic would also encourage players to think more carefully about space and not just send poor Jeb to Eeloo crammed into a lander can.

Yes! This is exactly what I would love to see. Something that is more in depth so we can use space stations without using mods all of the time. It is a sand box after all so why can't we have the option to explore living on other planets, conducting experiments to see what the effects are and everything else involved in this. Be great to mine and use what you mine to actually craft your living areas because this would make other planets being there actually useful. The same way we build our space rockets/planes we could craft our areas but we would need materials to do so which you can find on other planets. We could mine on other planets to build bases on them or adventure out to mine and bring it back. Depends which challenge you like the most!

This game has so much potential I just hope KSP developers listen to our suggestions because most developers don't.

The mod Station Science has a quite elegant solution to this. It features experiment modules that can be attached to space stations. You get contracts asking you to perform one of the experiments on your station, which involves launching the relevant experiment module, docking it to the station, performing the experiment (which takes some time), and returning the module to Kerbin. The experiment modules require quite a lot of power too, justifying the construction of large solar arrays.

If Stock could do something like that, it'd be awesome. For the moment, space stations serve the same purpose as giant golden statues in Minecraft. Cool to look at, require some planning, but ultimately just a useless monument to vanity.

On 5/17/2016 at 3:57 PM, Veeltch said:

I agree. If the Admin Building worked differently (had PROGRAMS instead of STRATEGIES), we would be able to do a step-by-step research programs on different things, just like IRL.

So let's take the Space Station for an example: The Space Station Research Programs offers a mission to send a newcore module of a new station the HQ is planning to maintain in LKO. Once the core is there you get more missions that tell you to expand the station/rotate the crew/maintain it somehow (KIS/KAS?). You go on with the missions completing them by adding new modules and such and once the main goals are achieved (have a crew of at least 7, rotate it X times, have a lab, perform Y experiments) a new final mission pops up: Deorbit the Station.

After the mission is succesful a new program appears: Interplanetary Manned Vessel Research Program (basically a space station with engines) with new missions focused on building a vessel that is capable of exploring other planets.

Oh btw: the program wouldn't have to end with deorbiting the station. Since programs would have different 'steps' you could be able what the final mission would be.

So the program is about to end and you get a few final missions to accept: Deorbit, Repurpose the station, Boost it to a higher orbit/Mun orbit/Other planet. Any of those missions would close the program if done right and would unlock new programs, as I have stated previously.

On May 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Codraroll said:

The mod Station Science has a quite elegant solution to this. It features experiment modules that can be attached to space stations. You get contracts asking you to perform one of the experiments on your station, which involves launching the relevant experiment module, docking it to the station, performing the experiment (which takes some time), and returning the module to Kerbin. The experiment modules require quite a lot of power too, justifying the construction of large solar arrays.

Yeah this is a cool mod, as is dmagic's work.  Maybe a bit heavy for stock, but some simplified dynamic in which you deliver and run long-term experiments could be cool. I had as part of a more broad experiments suggestion a mechanic in which surface, atmospheric, and special contract samples could be loaded into materials bays from a mobile lab and exposed for a month or so. Thought it could make for a fun interplanetary routing problem. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I know there are mods out there that are a solution to my suggestion but the point is I don't really want a lot of mods. I'd rather have stock over mods any day. Mods are good don't get me wrong however I prefer to keep my game as free from mods as possible. My suggestion would add a purpose for space stations and make the game more in depth which would improve our space programs hugely. We could do so much more if only the tools were given to us (i.e gets added to the stock game).

How cool would it be to eventually build bases on other planets? Piece by piece from the items we mine. It would make it a more challenging and more rewarding experience because you worked hard for it. It doesn't need to be near impossible just difficult enough to make it a fun challenge. For those that would rather build it in larger sections you could pay more cash for it. The cheaper way is to mine the items yourself and get your engineers to make it.

The result of implementing my idea into the game would mean: Other planets have more of a purpose then before due to what you mine from them being more useful and versatile but also because you can build bases on them. Adds more depth and more room for being creative. Adds more options for your space program to branch out because space stations will have a purpose.

If you guys have any other ideas for space stations ect.. feel free to add them.

Edited by Ketaz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.