[1.3.0] Community Database of Module Manager Patches for Stock KSP

Alshain

5 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Simple logic: it should be a pain to maneuver an average ship without RCS, but enough to just stabilize it. And I'm leaning towards reducing it down to 0.05 or something.

Depends on what you call an "average ship".  Reactions wheels can be quite powerful.  As an example, the Hubble Space Telescope has been compared to the size of a school bus and is maneuvered using reaction wheels/gyroscopes.  That's about 4 times the length of the Apollo command module and twice it's weight.  Not only does it use reaction wheels but...

In order to take images of distant, faint objects, Hubble must be extremely steady and accurate. The telescope is able to lock onto a target without deviating more than 7/1000th of an arcsecond, or about the width of a human hair seen at a distance of 1 mile.

http://hubblesite.org/the_telescope/hubble_essentials/quick_facts.php

Nevertheless, I'm not here to judge.  Whether a player uses a patch or not is up to them.  I've added your patch to the database, thanks!

Edited by Alshain

Re adding staging control... Is this possible with RCS thrusters too?  

Maybe this is an odd case, but I have a stock Apollo-style replica that doesn't use reaction wheels, only RCS.  The S3 uses RCS for roll control, the CSM has it, the LEM has it, the CM has it for attitude control after separating from the SM.  Managing which ones are on at the appropriate time eats up many action groups.  But for instance if the CM RCS only comes online when staged with the decoupler, that would be great..

@fourfa The staging control really only let's you turn off staging. 

I can only add control for staging on items that already implement staging.  If it doesn't already appear in your staging list it will require a plugin.

I can think of good reasons you might want that for fairings and engines.  Not sure why you would want it for clamps or chutes but I figured, why not?

I'm really not sure why Squad didn't just add it to everything in stock (same for deploy limiter), its not like having the option hurts anything.

Edited by Alshain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Couple of additions to the great collection:

// Add angle snapping to Squad Docking ports (12 increments as on textures)
@PART[dockingPortLateral|dockingPort2|dockingPort3|mk2DockingPort|dockingPortLarge|dockingPort1]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		// If you want X degrees margin, use cos(0.5*X) as captureMinRollDot
		// 0.5 degrees = 0.99999048
		// 1 degree    = 0.99996192
		// 2 degrees   = 0.9998477
		// 3 degrees   = 0.99965732
		captureMinRollDot = 0.99996192
		snapRotation = true
		snapOffset = 30
	}
}

//Small Fuselage
+PART[Mk1FuselageStructural]
{
    @name = Mk0FuselageStructural
    @rescaleFactor = 0.5
    @TechRequired = generalConstruction
    @entryCost = 1500
    @cost = 220
    @title = Structural Fuselage (small)
    @description = A substandard 0.625m fuselage. Derived from the early papier-mache mockup of the full-scale fuselage with added reinforcements.
    @mass = 0.0125
}

Edited by Psycho_zs

@Psycho_zs can you elaborate on what that first patch does exactly?  Trying to figure out where best to put it.

Also, FYI, I made a small tweak to your fuselage.  The rescaleFactor is not applied to node strength, and yours were still a 1.25m node.  My tweak adjusts it down to the 'size 0' node.

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

can you elaborate on what that first patch does exactly?  Trying to figure out where best to put it.

First patch adds capture angle restictions to docking ports: 12 positions, 30 degrees apart. Despite "snap" in parameters' names it is not a true snapping, just a restriction on how close to desired angle capture can happen.

"captureMinRollDot = 1" would mean ideal angle, but docking would be practically impossible. AFAIK this unit is cosine of an angle, so to get 1 degree margin you would need cos(0.5deg)= 0.99996192 (half degree in both directions).

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Also, FYI, I made a small tweak to your fuselage.  The rescaleFactor is not applied to node strength, and yours were still a 1.25m node.  My tweak adjusts it down to the 'size 0' node.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Psycho_zs said:

First patch adds capture angle restictions to docking ports: 12 positions, 30 degrees apart. Despite "snap" in parameters' names it is not a true snapping, just a restriction on how close to desired angle capture can happen.

"captureMinRollDot = 1" would mean ideal angle, but docking would be practically impossible. AFAIK this unit is cosine of an angle, so to get 1 degree margin you would need cos(0.5deg)= 0.99996192 (half degree in both directions).

So when you say 'capture' you mean actual docking in flight mode, not in editor mode?

7 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Yes.

Are attach nodes' coordinates necessary?  rescaleFactor should take care of that.

It should and does, but if omitted in the original part, the node size defaults to 1.  Setting it like the others using indexing causes errors in module manager because it doesn't exist and can't be changed.  I tried using % instead of @ to add it through indexing but it failed.

In the end I just copied the original and changed the node size.  Scale factor still applies to the node positions even when I change them (though I'm not really changing them).

Edited by Alshain

20 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Couple of additions to the great collection:

// Add angle snapping to Squad Docking ports (12 increments as on textures)
@PART[dockingPortLateral|dockingPort2|dockingPort3|mk2DockingPort|dockingPortLarge|dockingPort1]:FINAL
{
	{
		snapRotation = true
		snapOffset = 30
	}
}

//Small Fuselage
+PART[Mk1FuselageStructural]
{
    @name = Mk0FuselageStructural
    @rescaleFactor = 0.5
    @TechRequired = generalConstruction
    @entryCost = 1500
    @cost = 220
    @title = Structural Fuselage (small)
    @description = A substandard 0.625m fuselage. Derived from the early papier-mache mockup of the full-scale fuselage with added reinforcements.
    @mass = 0.0125
}

Has it looks you at just listing the names of all the docking port you might just start like this

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]]:Final
{
	{
		snapRotation = true
		snapOffset = 30
	}
}

pretty sure that will get them all and any mod that has docking ports

So I've been trying to make a patch to fix the folding radiators model offset, and almost have it working... The placement and CoM are fixed, but the move/rotation tools still use the old center. Is it possible to fix without actually messing with the model or something?

Spoiler

@PART[foldingRadSmall]:FOR[Squad]
{
    @node_attach = 0.0, 0.073, 0.05, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0
    CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.073, 0.0
}
@PART[foldingRadMed]:FOR[Squad]
{
    @node_attach = 0.0, 0.147, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0
    CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.147, 0.0
}
@PART[foldingRadLarge]:FOR[Squad]
{
    @node_attach = 0.0, 0.147, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0
    CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.147, 0.0
}

An example of the problem: e0H6dss.png

Blacklist of stock parts superseded by Porkjet's Part Overhaul:

!PART[liquidEngine3]{}
!PART[liquidEngine]{}
!PART[liquidEngine2]{}
!PART[fuelTankSmallFlat]{}
!PART[fuelTankSmall]{}
!PART[fuelTank]{}
!PART[fuelTank_long]{}
!PART[mk1pod]{}

@Rodger I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to accomplish.

@Psycho_zs That's a bit of a grey area there, but I'm going to say that such a patch should probably be distributed with the assets and therefore is really a mod.  Basically if it requires you download something other than module manager itself, it's a mod patch.  Since I doubt anyone would want to torch those parts without replacements, I think that qualifies.  I appreciate the effort though.