BUST: 1.1.X Crashes (Your Help Requested!)

I'm on board with this but now that I'm looking for CTDs they seem to have stopped :/ Then again I'm spending more time on-mission and less in the SPH/VAB at the moment. I'll try to spend more time on design process soon.

I also had the bright idea of installing video capture software so I could playback exactly what I was doing at the time as well as posting log files. plays.tv has a hotkey to save just the last interval (user-defined) as a clip. I'm told Windows 10 can do this anyway, but Win7 can't. Anyway, I'll keep fishing.

7 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Potential Data Point: I know, one trial a data point does not make, but, that is why I bring this up here, has anyone who has had these crashes tried running in Admin mode? I did tonight before I wandered off to play a diff game, and got a decent 53 minutes of solid stable play. any other thoughts? I posted this same thing into my own thread so, its in 2 locations now.

Nope, spent around 5 minutes in VAB before crashing again. From deleting a part as usual.

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I'm on board with this but now that I'm looking for CTDs they seem to have stopped :/ Then again I'm spending more time on-mission and less in the SPH/VAB at the moment. I'll try to spend more time on design process soon.

I also had the bright idea of installing video capture software so I could playback exactly what I was doing at the time as well as posting log files. plays.tv has a hotkey to save just the last interval (user-defined) as a clip. I'm told Windows 10 can do this anyway, but Win7 can't. Anyway, I'll keep fishing.

Well I went ahead recorded one, just messing around in the VAB for a while. Didn't take long before CTD. That small jitter at 35s is an alt tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6ke2BpQew&feature=youtu.be

Logs https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4518195/KSP.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4518195/output_log.txt

Edited by sormi

Just now, sormi said:

Well I went ahead recorded one, just loveing around in the VAB for a while. Didn't take long before CTD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf6ke2BpQew&feature=youtu.be

Logs https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4518195/KSP.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4518195/output_log.txt

Good job.

I see that you selected a part, deleted it without placing, and then also removed and deleted a radial, multipart section from radial symmetry. That seems like quite a specific sequence that might be replicatable. It also feels like exactly the sort of thing we all do occasionally without noticing/thinking about it.

@Claw for your attention.

If you don't mind giving this little plugin a try. It's actually built to fix the high CPU use in the editor, but perhaps this issue is related (in the sense that maybe whatever is causing the CPU thrash is related to the crashing).

Given what I found with the high CPU rates, I'm also interested to know if people are crashing more often in the Tier 3 VAB, or if there are similar rates of crashing in the Tier 1 and 2 VAB (or SPH for that matter).

Cheers,
~Claw

22 minutes ago, Claw said:

If you don't mind giving this little plugin a try. It's actually built to fix the high CPU use in the editor, but perhaps this issue is related (in the sense that maybe whatever is causing the CPU thrash is related to the crashing).

Great job, thanks.  I've just tried this in the context of VAB CPU usage and it does look like one of things it's disabling is the cause.  I'm now getting around 5-8% usage in the VAB where it is 25-30% without the mod.  I can't tell if it's the lights, the trucks/lifts or the crew (though I have those disabled anyway) so it might be an idea to split it into several plugins that disable one (type of) thing each...

@Claw Some data for you. Ive been running KSP as admin and so far its looking stable. First try is listed a page back with me having 53 minutes of stability before ending and now i had 3.5 hours before ending the session after building part of a jool mission. I know its not a large sample but its something. I just saw your mod havent tried it but my vab crashes were all in sandbox so tier 3?

1 hour ago, AlamoVampire said:

Ive been running KSP as admin and so far its looking stable.

That's rather interesting. I did see you posted this earlier. I'd be curious if others were seeing the same, which then makes me wonder what those background processes are doing...

Just tried the plugin and it drops the cpu usage to 15-20% in the vab.  I repeated the drag test I was doing earlier and ksp crashed in less then a minute again.  Also tried the drag test when running ksp as admin and ksp crashed after a few minutes.  This seems to be in line with my other drag tests, most happen within about a minute but some take longer.

Just to be clear the drag test is loading the Kerbel 1-5, coping the srb booster at the decoupler, setting symmetry to 2x and dragging the copy over the upper most fuel tank.

As for the the vab level I have not noticed any major difference between level 3 and level 1/2 for crashes.  However outside of trying to crash in the vab the crashes are very random so it would have to be a pretty major change to be noticed.  I can play for three hours one night and not have single crash and the next I can crash in less then 10 minutes multiple times in a row.

1 hour ago, dooots said:

I repeated the drag test I was doing earlier and ksp crashed in less then a minute again.

I figured it wasn't a very good chance at fixing the crashing, but thought it might be worth the try. Thank you for checking.

two more data points: first run lasted about an hour before I had to run errands. second run lasted 6 minutes 58.46 seconds in the initial screen after loading, then only another 1 minute 17.93 seconds after hitting resume saved. crashed in VAB, tier 3, edited a saved ship for all of like 10 seconds before POOF failure listing yet again NTDLL.DLL. @Claw side note: all times are from telling UAC that, yes, I trust KSP now let me play.

I have had a repeating CTD when staging just prior to reentry. All is well, I turn the craft retrograde, and when I stage to separate from the "service module" I get the normal puff and sound and about 200 milliseconds after I get the Windows 10 error pop-up. This has happened with big and small craft.

On 5/31/2016 at 3:37 AM, Claw said:

I'm also interested to know if people are crashing more often in the Tier 3 VAB, or if there are similar rates of crashing in the Tier 1 and 2 VAB (or SPH for that matter).

Interesting observation for me is that working in the third tier VAB causes fewer crashes than working in tier one.

When I posted here last I was in tier one and was having all sorts of VAB/SPH crashes.  Now after advancing the VAB to tier three the crash rate almost have dropped to zero.  In a tier three VAB an Hour can go by without a CTD compared to a tier one VAB where just loading a vessel resulted in having a CTD.

10 hours ago, MoeslyArmlis said:

Interesting observation for me is that working in the third tier VAB causes fewer crashes than working in tier one.

This did it for me. I was able to quickly and reliably replicate the crash in just a couple minutes in the Tier 1 VAB. Thanks!

13 hours ago, ansaman said:

I have had a repeating CTD when staging just prior to reentry.

Do you happen to have a save (and is it, by chance, a stock craft)?

4 hours ago, Kadrush said:

The DLL worked for me, no crashes for now (1 hour, making a big ship)

Also good to know. I don't know if these two things are related, but it would be good to have some data.

new data point, small one but still data @Claw once again, using run as admin, I got 30 min of play before being spooked off by a storm rolling in. really shouldnt be on my PC right now posting this, but, its data and needs to be seen! now, if you will excuse me, I am gonna hide my pc from the storm now lol.

On 29/05/2016 at 8:36 PM, Rodger said:

Well I've tried that too, though I just replaced all my mods from GameData, and it happens still. If it helps I've uploaded my KSP and unity player logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzc5ltrezk130nb/KSP.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/huf5r5cigrzyrv4/Player.txt?dl=0

I did try it vanilla too, after the re-install, and couldn't get it to crash, but it's not a crash I can re-produce on demand anyway, so don't know if I was just lucky, or if it is because of my modded install.

(quoted my last post from the '1.1 64bit always crashing' thread)

My system details to go with the logs:

MacBookPro11,5 (2.8GHz i7, 16GB ram, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB integrated graphics, and AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB card), OS 10.11.5.

Modlist from KSPAVC: http://pastebin.com/jrBmtHrh

I've recently deleted everything and re-installed KSP and all my mods from scratch, and it still crashes.

Edit: I have the vab cpu fix dll, and it still crashes.

Edited by Rodger

2 hours ago, Claw said:

This did it for me. I was able to quickly and reliably replicate the crash in just a couple minutes in the Tier 1 VAB. Thanks!

just a hort one: in my newly career i had the sam experience: frequent crashes on lower VAB (didnt use SPH)

Since i am in 3rd tier, they SEEM to happen less (not gone total)

Nvidia 970; driver 365.xx; 5870x1080; dx9
win8.1; 32 GB ram; xeon e3-1245

Edited by Speadge

On 02/06/2016 at 3:45 AM, Claw said:

Do you happen to have a save (and is it, by chance, a stock craft)?

Also good to know. I don't know if these two things are related, but it would be good to have some data.

I am using the DLL combined now with a mod called MemGraph (to reduce game general memory usage) and i got not crashes so far.

Hey there, I just had so many repeated CTDs I ended up searching in the forums about "ntdll", the windows file the game seems to be interacting badly with. Found this thread.

Nice initiative. For me, the majority of the crashes occur during building, I'm not sure if only in the VAB or VAB and SPH both, can't remember. BUT, sometimes the game also crashes during flight, not very common, but it's the same crash as far as I can tell.

Specs: A10-5800K, Radeon 7850, 12gb RAM, Windows 7 64bit.
Always running the game in x64.

Does this happen on 32 bit? On other OS'es? Just curious and lazy to look at the other pages lol.

I'll be subscribing to this thread, if I can be of any help....

@Claw new data point for you! Running as Admin again, I got a staggering 5 hours 11 minutes and 17.56 seconds worth of game time from the moment of telling the UAC that again, I trust KSP to finishing up a 5 hour long Jool mission. I am impressed by this. Hope this data point helps the process :) 

I disabled Data Execution Prevention (DEP) and was able to play for several hours without a crash for the first time since 1.1 was released...

I don't think leaving DEP disabled is a good idea but in the short term it seems to have a made a difference for me at least.

EDIT: 2nd kerbal session and still no ntdll.dll crash ... here's how to disable it manually and the program I downloaded to do it for me:

Edited by Indoorsman
links

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.