Where still to go?

Kertech

An earlier thread has pointed out that a lot of KSP players rarely (if ever) go interplanetary so I was wondering where people were yet to go to, and if there's any plan to get to them!?!

I'm yet to go to Jool and it's moons with Kerbals, so that is the plan for my new save, already done Eeloo (the only difference between going to Eeloo and going anywhere else is putting enough fuel in so wasn't a big challenge) so gonna install OPM then...

1 hour ago, TrooperCooper said:

I have to get people down on Mars. I did a manned fly-by on my last career, but I never landed yet. Oh yeah, and bringing them back to Earth would be nice, too... alive preferably. :)

Oh god, imagine if kerbals left a little green corpse that generated negative reputation for every month it wasn't collected :S

@Kertech OPM is good, and I also recommend Kerbol Plus Remade. The two will happily sit side by side :) 

I'm one of those who has yet to venture much further than Eve/Duna. Started a new career game recently, intend to make this a pretty major KSP "binge" so am doing it "properly". This time I have included the Outer Planets Mod to spice things up in-system, and more excitingly, the extrasolar-beyond-kerbol pack, which puts interstellar (sortof) missions into my endgame. HOPEfully I will get out further than Duna this time!

I just added the outer planet mod to try and force myself to venture further.  It's still an early career game so a little way off manned missions to anything beyond Minmus though lol.  (I'll get there before 1.2 drops I swear)

I'm about to send my first manned flight to Eve. (never landed on Gilly yet)

My first Bots are their way to Dres. (if it exists)

I scrubbed the Jool-5 mission from 0.95 (don't think I did *all* 5 moons)

And I have a contract to do my first asteroid capture.

But I think that's everyplace.

EDIT: Oh Eeloo, never been there.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

I've been to every stock body in some sense. I have though yet to orbit Dres, land on Vall, and return from Eve or Duna.

Mods-wise, well I would guess there are a few hundred mod stars, moons, and planets out their. I have around 100 in my current install alone, and have been to only a small fraction of them.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I've never completed a Grand Tour, but I'm doing that now :)

When I'm done, I'll only be able to say I've never completed a Grand Tour without resupplying from Kerbin. Some day... Some day.

A full grand tour with Eve and Tylo?

I want to do a Jool tour. Land on the moons, plant flags, leave a big fuel depot in orbit.

Return from Duna. Got a plan and a ship in the works, and I just need to get the time/motivation to get on with it. I GOT there alright, but ran out of fuel. Cruise stage is stranded in orbit, the ISRU miner isn't efficient enough to make a profit off Ike, and the lander's got JUST enough fuel to make orbit. The rescue ship is going to be an ISRU miner that'll actually do the job, a bigger cruise stage with more fuel, and I think a tanker as well, that's just a fuel tank with engines and a probe core and docking gear.

EVE base. Part permanent research facility, part punishment detail.

Visits to Moho, Dres, and Eeloo. Not much interesting there.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

When I'm done, I'll only be able to say I've never completed a Grand Tour without resupplying from Kerbin. Some day... Some day.

I found your lack of antenna... disturbing :wink: 

Where still to go? Well. I've been looking through planet mods for ages because I love finding new ones to explore, and I know so many by this point (most of which I'll be visiting with extensive missions sooner or later). For the stock system, there's Jool Biomes and Eve Biomes Plus, which do exactly what they sound like and add new biomes to both of those worlds (good luck exploring them all though). And on top of that, there's really a planet mod for everyone (not all of the following are updated).

• Outer Planets is pretty well-known, with its Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto-Charon analogues; SigmaBinary can also be installed with it to make Plock-Karen a proper binary system.
  • Xen's Planet Collection adds two interesting new planets: Mios and Richell. Both provide interesting challenges when exploring them; Mios has an equatorial ocean whilst Richell rotates retrograde (and its moon orbits prograde, which can make in-depth exploration missions difficult). The planet pack also adds new moons to Duna, Eve, and Eeloo, as well as rings for Duna and a thin atmosphere to Eeloo. If installed with SigmaBinary, Eeloo's main moon Alu (a Charon analogue) will put into a binary relationship with Eeloo. If OPM is installed, Alu will not exist, and Eeloo's other moons will be moved around Plock.
  • Asclepius is a planet between Kerbin and Duna, which is a good destination for both beginners and more experienced players. It has an oxygen atmosphere, but good luck flying planes anywhere other than the deep cracks which riddle the planet's surface. It also has an incredibly rocky moon.
  • Arkas is a planet between Moho and Eve. It's a desert world with what looks to be a very interesting surface, and it has a thick atmosphere which will probably be something of a challenge to escape from.
  • Kerbol Origins brings into the game a number of planets and moons that were once ideas for the stock game. Amongst them are Harvest, a trojan moon of Kerbin, Sarvin, a Saturn analogue around which Eeloo and several other moons orbit, and Keelon, a gargantuan terrestrial world far from Kerbin. One thing which particularly catches my attention about Kerbol Origins is Manai, one of Keelon's moons. Manai has lava oceans which will annihilate your spacecraft on contact. If you plan a mission there, good luck landing. [I'm under the impression that Keelon itself is not currently in the pack due to it being in development, but I could be wrong]
  • Farlo is a beautiful blue gas giant beyond the orbit of Eeloo. It has four moons that all look very nice and are not too far from the stock aesthetic, making the planet a great place to visit.
  • Walan is a pretty new planet pack which looks like a great place to potentially visit. Its orbit is just beyond Eeloo's (very similar to Farlo's orbit actually) and it has three moons. The appearance of the mod is nice and very unique, and fits well into the stock game.
  • Interstellar Adventure Revived is a planet pack which, as the name suggests, introduces new stars to visit. It adds a large terrestrial planet very far from Kerbin, and five new star systems, several of which have even more worlds to explore. So prepare your warp drives; exploring every celestial body this pack has to offer will be a challenge for even the most experienced players.
  • If five new star systems is too daunting, perhaps one will suffice. Other Worlds adds the Cercani star system, which consists of a smallish star with 5 planets. The Cercani system has one of my favourite colour schemes I've seen in a planet pack, so if you like aesthetics, this is definitely a mod for you.
  • Larinax is a unique star that's very far from Kerbin. It's a protostar, orbited by several interesting planets with more soon to be discovered. The pack is currently in development, but if you've run out of interesting places to go, it's the only protostar pack out there (to my knowledge anyway).
  • New Horizons is a complete overhaul of the Kerbol system. It moves the locations of all the planets and moons, as well as adding several new ones. Kerbin, for example, has been moved to the orbit of a new gas giant, Sonnah; the other moons of which are Aptur, a small object that is probably a captured asteroid, Serran, a fairly large atmospheric moon with an oxygen atmosphere and one of the most intriguing colour schemes I've seen in a while, and the Mun. You'll have to design new spacecraft and figure out new transfer windows, as well as probably learning how to make very good use of gravity assists, as the delta-v requirements for some destinations are monumental. New Horizons turns the Kerbol system into something else entirely, making it perfect for people who want a major change from the stock game. But be warned, several places have atmospheres with even greater pressure than Eve.

I hope this helps to give everyone some good ideas of where to go next.

4 hours ago, Mastikator said:

A full grand tour with Eve and Tylo?

Yup

Spoiler

Haven't gotten to Tylo yet. It's currently scheduled to be the last world I visit.

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

I found your lack of antenna... disturbing :wink: 

Wait until you see my lack of radiators on the new ISRU ship... :huh:

I have yet to make it to Ike, because I still have yet to master powered landings, especially when the thing I'm landing on hasn't got an atmosphere (I've successfully flown spaceplanes of my own design and parachuted probes onto Duna flawlessly, but for some reason suicide burns always prove fatal to me). :)

I'm on my third campaign; I was new with 1.04, restarted with 1.05, and just restarted again with 1.1.2.   In my 1.04 campaign, I'd landed a rover on Duna and sent a probe past Eve; in my 1.0.5 campaign, I sent probes past Moho; and I'm still in the early stages in 1.1.2.  In no case have I gotten any Kerbals out of Kerbin's SOI except very briefly.   But the intent is there!  My principal problem is lack of time to Kerbal, durnit.

I landed on every body in the system not long after getting the game (about a month or two IIRC) because of a `grandmaster` challenge, which was just for probes but I did it manned and while my craft were on the way flags came out so I was the first person to plant a flag on every body in the system. It took a few nights with very little sleep. I think I only managed it so quick because I did not realise it was supposed to be hard. I had about 30 years of thoughts about spaceflight floating around in my head at the time and they helped me no end.

I would not have done it if I had known that was pretty much all there was to do in the game.

Now I have revitalised my game with RSS/RO/RP-0 although I may try out New Horizons if I get bored with earth etc.

I`m getting a larger appreciation for the people who sent off the pluto probe.

Moho is the only stock planet I haven't orbited nor landed yet. Did a fly by a long time ago (think it was in 0.22 or 0.23). Insane DV have always put me off it. I've sent at least probes and landed on every other planet/moon. But I have never played with RSS or OPM.

On 19/05/2016 at 9:22 PM, merlinux said:

Moho is the only stock planet I haven't orbited nor landed yet. Did a fly by a long time ago (think it was in 0.22 or 0.23). Insane DV have always put me off it. I've sent at least probes and landed on every other planet/moon. But I have never played with RSS or OPM.

I'd definitely suggest learning how to use gravity assists. If you can get Eve in the right place it can negate most of the plane change delta-v as well as helping to lower your aphelion below Kerbin's orbit (which helps a lot with getting into orbit from a Moho flyby).

I've returned kerbals from the surface of all bodies in the system (excluding Jool of course), skimmed by the surface of the sun at 94km/s, completed the Jool 5 challenge and visited all the anomalies (the ones that can still be visited anyway). I gave RSS a quick try and did a trip to the moon and back, but didn't take that any further.

Playing through 1.1 in career mode, the various outpost and orbital station contracts are making me think about setting up a bunch of these in sandbox, making use of ISRU.

But at some point I need to finish off the various bits of fan art that I have planned... never enough time.

Edited by purpleivan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.