How to rescue a kerbal from a hulk ship with no hatch

I have a rescue contract that has a kerbal in low orbit around minmus needing to be rescued, I rendezvous with the craft and swap to the trapped kerbal and he cant EVA due to the craft having no hatch.

Is there away around this that Im missing or is it possible to edit a file and hack the contract to place the kerbal in another pod that does have a escape hatch

Thanks for any help

All crewed pods should have hatches, even the Mk1 crew compartment has end hatches so you should just be able to hit EVA on the crew portrait, but if that doesn't work for whatever reason you could claw on and do a crew transfer.

4 hours ago, Reactordrone said:

All crewed pods should have hatches, even the Mk1 crew compartment has end hatches so you should just be able to hit EVA on the crew portrait, but if that doesn't work for whatever reason you could claw on and do a crew transfer.

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

This usually happens when you have mods installed that add extra crewed parts that don't have hatches.

2 hours ago, Jack_Aubrey said:

It's strange.. but i would try to built a ship with grapping capabilities and then de-orbit both of them at the same time... at least if they are close to kerbin...

Thanks for the help everybody, I do have a couple of part mods and it is from one of them, its a Mk3 Crew Saddletank which I think is a part of the mod "Mk3 Stockalike Expansion"

DxQX7iF.jpg

So if I build something with the claw on it I can either transfer the kerbal "through" the claw and leave the hulk in orbit or will I have to deorbit both while the claw is attached

1 minute ago, Mixshott said:

Thanks for the help everybody, I do have a couple of part mods and it is from one of them, its a Mk3 Crew Saddletank which I think is a part of the mod "Mk3 Stockalike Expansion"

DxQX7iF.jpg

So if I build something with the claw on it I can either transfer the kerbal "through" the claw and leave the hulk in orbit or will I have to deorbit both while the claw is attached

Pretty much, yeah. Its safer just to remove the kerbal and run then to de-orbit it.

• 5 months later...
16 hours ago, DD_bwest said:

lol if your already using mods, if you use KIS or KAS (whichever one it is that lets you construct things during EVA, i forget which one is which), you can just bolt a docking port to it, then dock lol

the mod above is probably easier lol

Why do some people insist on typing "lol" so much, even when what they're saying isn't at all funny?

On 19.5.2016 at 0:54 PM, Jack_Aubrey said:

It's strange.. but i would try to built a ship with grapping capabilities and then de-orbit both of them at the same time... at least if they are close to kerbin...

You could simply use an ship with an extra pod and a claw on decopler, Claw the problematic pod transfer kerbal to pod in rescue ship and drop the claw. 
Tips 2, the new fairing interface would be perfect for this, 
Mk1 pod with parashute, heatshield and decoplert below heatshield. Power, probe and an antena is also nice. 
Decopler below heat shield, now add an 1.25 meter fairing base, fuel tank and engine. 
Now using the new fairing sections put an upside down decopler about the MK1 pods parashute, You might want extra fuel here and some rcs, claw on top. 
Wrap everything in an faring and add rocket below. 
Dump fairing then outside atmosphere, grap target transfer kerbal to MK1 pod, decouple fairing and its systems, deorbit as normal. 

Note that if you look at list of assigned kerbals in the astronaut complex it list that sort of pod the kerbal is in. This is very nice for predicting this and also very nice if you need to recover the pod. 

Edited by magnemoe

Option 1)

Dock with the Claw. Rightclick module, select "Transfer Crew". Pick the kerbal, pick target pod.

Option 2)

Dock with the Claw. Fly to Kerbin. Land. Recover.

If you like fancy mods, you WILL find modules, where option 1 is not simply viable - inflatable base modules. Which sometimes require fancy materials to inflate too!

BmO4lm0.png

There's a kerbal in that box. But he won't show up if I inflate it, outright. I need to switch to a different vessel and back - and I'm lucky I'm even able to inflate this!

Generally, I'm just keeping a hub in LKO with bunch of drones for these recoveries. Small craft with klaw, parachutes, airbrakes, RCS, and some bare essentials. Grab the whole cabin from orbit. deorbit it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.