Subassemblies

Subassemblies still completely destroy your staging when you add them. Not just by adding their stages intermixed with the craft that you add them to, but by reordering the staging of the craft. It has gotten to the stage where I don't use them because they save less time in the part-addition than they cost you in terms of completely reorganising your staging.

This isn't rocket science.

This aught to be easy.

Subassemblies contain staging as a linked list, array or other stack/queue type thing.

That stack queue's add method should not intermix the stages with the craft, they should add to the end of the stack

The problem here is it doesn't know where to put the stages.  Your subassembly could be a lifter, or it could be a payload. One would add the stages at the end of the stack and the other at the beginning.  So instead it tries to put them in the original staging order from where it was saved.  However, if you have something there, it gets mixed.

The way I tackle this problem is simple.  In the subassy description, I list the number of stage groups (see picture).  Then I add blank stages BEFORE attaching the subassembly.  The works fine for lifters, but may not quite work as well for payloads.  I don't know a better way for that.

As far as what Squad could do, I do think it should NEVER mix. It should always create the stages somewhere, even if they are in the wrong place, that is better than being mixed.

09rZNVn.png

20 hours ago, Alshain said:

The way I tackle this problem is simple.  In the subassy description, I list the number of stage groups (see picture).  Then I add blank stages BEFORE attaching the subassembly.  The works fine for lifters, but may not quite work as well for payloads.  I don't know a better way for that.

That is a godsend, thank you. 

Then we should have mini-manager to manage new stages from sub-assemblies. Two options should be enough "merge with existing stages" (and we pull all stages from sub up or down to match their position with existing stages) and "add as new stages".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.