[1.1.2][CKAN] Civilian Populations Revived

GGumby

IT'S ALIVE!

5 hours ago, TonyC said:

What happens if I install this along with USI mods ? (especially the ones for bases)

I always wanted to mix Civilian Population with USI and EL to be able to make a true permanent space colony.

Also, I have plans similar to this gentleman, so I'd love to hear the low down.

14 hours ago, rabidninjawombat said:

work in progress stuff

@GGumby thank you very much for continuing to work on this.  Civilian Population was one of my favorite mods and I was diving into the code to (hopefully) revive it.  What did you change to get it to work?  By adding the KSP.IO.Util (I think), I was able to get it to compile but hadn't tested it thoroughly.

@rabidninjawombat thank you very much for all your work.  The above was addressed to @GGumby but I would be very interested in your notes for implementing additional Kerbal roles you mentioned in the previous Civilian Population mod thread.

Were you planning on extending the current roles for either crew or tourists or were you planning on keeping the Civilian Population as a resource and manipulating it by using parts (i.e. a payroll part would give a bonus to rent paid when filed with Civilian Population resource)?

Edited by Tralfagar
Credit where credit is due

3 hours ago, Tralfagar said:

@rabidninjawombat thank you very much for all your work.  The above was addressed to @GGumby but I would be very interested in your notes for implementing additional Kerbal roles you mentioned in the previous Civilian Population mod thread.

Were you planning on extending the current roles for either crew or tourists or were you planning on keeping the Civilian Population as a resource and manipulating it by using parts (i.e. a payroll part would give a bonus to rent paid when filed with Civilian Population resource)?

I admit that the idea of using actual Kerbals to colonize is very appealing to me. Just imagine micromanaging all the colonists with something like Kerbalism or DeepFreeze, but I'm happy just having sustainable colonies.

Edited by riskyjubles

Thank you for updating this mod. :D

I'm using USI life support and UKS and I was messing around with the parts and all of the houses consume the same amount of supplies no matter how many civs are in it, and all the Hydroponics sizes make the same amount of supplies.

A smaller thing I saw is that the landing legs are a fun way to get from the launchpad to orbit.

22 hours ago, windtricks said:

glad this is getting updated

also not sure if you have added the link or not for ckan but at the moment its not showing

well i expected spacedock to handle it but i dont think it has :(

3 hours ago, circuitfire said:

Thank you for updating this mod. :D

I'm using USI life support and UKS and I was messing around with the parts and all of the houses consume the same amount of supplies no matter how many civs are in it, and all the Hydroponics sizes make the same amount of supplies.

A smaller thing I saw is that the landing legs are a fun way to get from the launchpad to orbit.

Thanks for the feedback, im working on getting some things up and running. due to my eagerness and my tenderfootedness at coding in general it may take longer than anticipated to get things into a fixed state.

16 hours ago, GGumby said:

... due to my eagerness and my tenderfootedness at coding in general ...

GGumby

I've been looking at this code for the last few weeks, hoping to resuscitate this project if nobody else was picking it up.  While I'm extremely happy that someone else decided to take ownership of this project if you want support from a coder please contact me.

On May 23, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Deimos Rast said:

Someone  mentioned the old Standford Torus & Biodomes mod; I looked at it and I get errors of "too many polygons" and they won't launch. Didn't get farther than that. I would say prioritize on CivPop before expanding it. My .02.

Bummer ;.;
Maybe someday...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the code, specifically the methods calculateRateOverTime() and GetInfo() in the class CivilianPopulationRegulator.  The method GetInfo is a virtual method that is an inherited method, originally in PartModule.  The API description is "The return value of this function appears in the part's description in the editor.  Returns - Editor info for the part".  However, I can't find anything that mentions days or hours in the editor.  Meanwhile, the method CalculateRateOvertime looks like it is never called.  Do you have any insight on these that you can share?

hi

cool mod.

i am using it with TAC Life Support and i was playing around a bit.

The resources in Housing-Objects (f.e. HousingSize2.cfg) are used way to fast, even if no civilians or Kerbal is on board. (i can make you a video if needed)

But the resources at the "civildokingport.cfg" are consumed as they should/normal.

So i went into the files, but could not find the problem.

regards.

Hi.

I am trying to add Civilian population's ability to generate and train kerbals to stock parts. I have two questions:

MODULE
{
	name = KerbalRecruiter
	civilianPopulationCost =1 
	populationName = CivilianPopulation
}

Can 'populationName' be any resource?

{
	name = CivilianPopulationRegulator

//needs,wastes, and need/waste table
	//warning: if vessel cannot store the waste it gets "wasted", ejected into space.
	RecipeInputs = Food,3.5,Water,2.2,Oxygen,45,ElectricCharge,1.0
	RecipeOutputs = Waste,1.3,True,WasteWater,2.1,True,CarbonDioxide,42,True
	RequiredResources = CivilianPopulation,0
	Efficiency = 4.62962962962963e-5  //1 kerbin day

//civilian consumes the above resources and produces the above waste in this 
	//much time...
	consumptionSpeed = 21600 

foodResourceName = Food
	AlwaysActive = true
	populationResourceName = CivilianPopulation
	consumptionScalar = .05

populationDecayRate = 21600  //1day

populationGrowthRate = 1944000 //3 months to grow a new kerbal

reproductionRate = 20
	civilianDock = false
}

What are the recipes for? How much a civilian consumes or how much is required to produce a kerbal?

Can the recipes be replaced by other resources?
Can foodResourceName be anything
What is consumptionScalar for?

Correct me if I'm wrong:
-populationDecayRate is the loss of population if resource requirements are not met
-populationGrowthRate is how many kerbals are produced if requirements are met

What is reproductionRate?

@PART[t1CivilizationGenerationShipQuartersLarge]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport]
{
	!RESOURCE[Food] {}
	!RESOURCE[Water] {}
	!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}
	!RESOURCE[Waste] {}
	!RESOURCE[WasteWater] {}
	!RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide] {}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Supplies
		amount = 300
		maxAmount = 300
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Mulch
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 500
	}
	@MODULE[CivilianPopulationRegulator]
	{
		@RecipeInputs = Supplies,3,ElectricCharge,1.0
		@RecipeOutputs = Mulch,2.5,True
		@foodResourceName = Supplies
	}
}

This answered a few questions regarding resources :)

Just an idea to alter the attachment of the 4x4 (2x2) panel:

//node_stack_top = 0, 0.0275, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
	//node_stack_bottom = 0,-0.0275, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0
	//node_attach = -2, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0

node_stack_front  =  0,  0, -0.125, 0,  0, -1, 0
    node_stack_back   =  0,  0,  0.125, 0,  0,  1, 0
    node_stack_right  =  2,  0,  0,     1,  0,  0, 0
    node_stack_left   = -2,  0,  0,    -1,  0,  0, 0
    node_stack_top    =  0,  2,  0,     0,  1,  0, 0
    node_stack_bottom =  0, -2,  0,     0, -1,  0, 0 
    node_attach       =  0,  2,  0,     0,  1,  0

On 8 June 2016 at 4:08 PM, Marbch said:

hi

cool mod.

i am using it with TAC Life Support and i was playing around a bit.

The resources in Housing-Objects (f.e. HousingSize2.cfg) are used way to fast, even if no civilians or Kerbal is on board. (i can make you a video if needed)

But the resources at the "civildokingport.cfg" are consumed as they should/normal.

So i went into the files, but could not find the problem.

regards.

at least the MAC OS X version of KSP CANT read numbers like this, 1.232343453e-5!, i have changed them to 0.00011121324123 style and it works as it should...

edit: some files have MAJOR ERRORS...basic "}" are missing....and i don't know if 

AlwaysActive=true, and AlwaysActive = true

makes any different.

i copied this

//needs,wastes, and need/waste table

//warning: if vessel cannot store the waste it gets "wasted", ejected into space.

RecipeInputs = Food,3.5,Water,2.2,Oxygen,45,ElectricCharge,1.0

RecipeOutputs = Waste,1.3,True,WasteWater,2.1,True,CarbonDioxide,42,True

RequiredResources = CivilianPopulation,0

EfficiencyBonus = .00000462962962962963  //1 kerbin day

ConverterName = Civilians

into all corresponding files...and success...(i don't know if the last line is needed, and i added the "special-bonuses"-lines to...

regards.

Edited by Marbch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.