KSP vs Minecraft

NotaKlutz-42516

KSP is certainly one of the best indie games of all time, mainly because it enables players to experience realistic spaceflight (along with a few explosions and bugs, such as the dreaded Kraken). Minecraft, on the other hand, is popular because it allows players to kill time and construct physically impossible structures, such as floating islands. But while Minecraft is good as a timewaster game, KSP excels in simulating real-life aerodynamics and spaceflight (plenty of people play KSP when they're bored, but it's usually due to the fact that they're bored of playing other games, such as-you guessed it-Minecraft). So which indie game is better? This is meant to be a discussion/debate thread, and I am not responsible for any big fights about the two games.

5 minutes ago, NotaKlutz-42516 said:

KSP is certainly one of the best indie games of all time, mainly because it enables players to experience realistic spaceflight (along with a few explosions and bugs, such as the dreaded Kraken). Minecraft, on the other hand, is popular because it allows players to kill time and construct physically impossible structures, such as floating islands. But while Minecraft is good as a timewaster game, KSP excels in simulating real-life aerodynamics and spaceflight (plenty of people play KSP when they're bored, but it's usually due to the fact that they're bored of playing other games, such as-you guessed it-Minecraft). So which indie game is better? This is meant to be a discussion/debate thread, and I am not responsible for any big fights about the two games.

Minecraft = A trashy indie game for 12 year olds

KSP = An educational game for all ages that teaches people the wounder of the universe.

These games are on complete different levels.

Well, I've yet to play Minecraft, probably will some day. But I think Minecraft may be a better game just by virtue of not having so many bugs. KSP is an inspired concept but the execution is average at best and 1.1.x still feels like a beta version.

3 minutes ago, cantab said:

Well, I've yet to play Minecraft, probably will some day. But I think Minecraft may be a better game just by virtue of not having so many bugs. KSP is an inspired concept but the execution is average at best and 1.1.x still feels like a beta version.

Pre-alpha stage given all the issues that still exist after two patch releases.

But I'd vote for KSP here anyway.

Edited by lodger

Apples and oranges.

They have virtually nothing in common beyond being indy games in which you build things.

It's like asking which is better -- LEGO or model rocketry? There's no real basis for comparison beyond personal preference.

-Jn-

Minecraft is a 3D painting sandbox game in which you can make pretty things, for which I love it :)

KSP is a space flight sandbox game in which you can make ugly things and fly them, for which I love it :) 

I refuse to choose between the two because they are fundamentally so different and don't really compete with each other on any level ^^

Actually, I think there is a lot to compare if you keep a wide view.

There is no real plan in either (base gameplay in Minecraft "survival" is a joke, really). Both are more about just "exploring" and building stuff (very broad building in Minecraft, specific to crafts, bases, etc in KSP. Both games are in fact hardest at the beginning (in KSP career vs MC survival), and become progressively easier as you play. 

My kids wanted MC, so I got it, and I've played it a bit. I like it, and I like KSP, though like my career complaints in KSP, I complain about the weak "career" mode in MC.

I played Minecraft a lot, I'm/was admin to Rodwin.fr. Minecraft is much easier to play that KSP. It's less buggy, true. As I was co-responsible for accepting new player, I disagree with @CodeFantastic who said it's for 12 year players. Most of our players were over 20 years. Builders aren't 12 years old.

Minecraft has also much more interactivity with other player. It's a very nice multiplayer games which has tons of possibilities. Buildings I created 4 years ago are still visible on our server (including a 200 block high replica of a SimCity 2000 arcology)

Other than that, both game have one major common point : what you create/do is a real achievement. Building a replica of some major structure is an achievement in Minecraft. I remembers working on the main city of our server to improve farms, subway, food management. In KSP, achievements are more about being able to successfully do complex mission and even understanding the basic science under it.

I'm assuming that on the KSP forums most people are gonna say that KSP is better. :wink:

I like them both, but from a longevity standpoint I'd have to go with Minecraft. There is more to do in that game over the long haul I think.

3 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

Minecraft = A trashy indie game for 12 year olds

KSP = An educational game for all ages that teaches people the wounder of the universe.

These games are on complete different levels.

Minecraft is pretty dumb, but it's less buggy than KSP 1.1.x.

2 hours ago, J.Random said:

Tetris.

Da, Comrade! Is game from good old komputer times. Beats all kaputnik krap of today. Like Cessna F172P landing on red square. Very impressive. 

P.S.: Must leave now, must go see the Kommissar ...

Edited by lodger

I'd think a better comparison would be between KSP and Besiege; you're ostensibly trying to build machine to fulfil a purpose, but you have to deal with the physics engine, things blowing up/falling apart and your own obsession with making your machine look awesome.

Just now, JoeNapalm said:

What does Minecraft have to do with KSP?

-Jn-

They're both sandbox games. They're both indie games. They both give you a sense of accomplishment, KSP just a bit more so.

10 minutes ago, JaffaPadawan said:

I don't really think you can compare them that well. Yes, they are both sandbox games where you build stuff, but after that they are very different.

I do prefer KSP over Minecraft, though.

Me, too.

7 minutes ago, NotaKlutz-42516 said:

They're both sandbox games. They're both indie games. They both give you a sense of accomplishment, KSP just a bit more so.

"Sandbox" and "indie" aren't really defining characteristics.

You're comparing a 1st person survival LEGO simulator with a comically off-kilter space program sim.

I, personally, prefer Naval Action to 7D2D. :rolleyes:

-Jn-

8 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

"Sandbox" and "indie" aren't really defining characteristics.

You're comparing a 1st person survival LEGO simulator with a comically off-kilter space program sim.

I, personally, prefer Naval Action to 7D2D. :rolleyes:

-Jn-

Good point..... Grr.

I think I've put in more hours into Minecraft?  Still playing since, what, 2010?  Our CTO recently bought a Dell 2950 off EBay on the cheap and slapped an FTBIE server up on it, pretty much killed KSP for me (then again, I'm so burnt out on KSP it's not even funny).  Done tons of TerraFirmaCraft runs, vanilla, oodles of various mods...

As to which is better?  I'd probably go with Minecraft just based on the sheer creative potential and the fact that it has consistently remained fresh for six years.  Even mods can't change the inherent limitations of KSP while they can drastically change gameplay in Minecraft.  That being said, KSP would be a very, very close second in my gaming library; no other games come anywhere close in terms of play time.

Neither is better - they're too different to properly compare.

I've just started playing Minecraft and I have to say that I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Played in Survival mode, there's just enough of a game to make it feel like a game, I can dip in and out of it very easily and I can spend a relaxing day or two at a time of in-game time, shaping my own little world as I see fit.

Or I can go and build fully functioning railways, automated factories or disk drives.

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.