KSP vs Minecraft

NotaKlutz-42516

I play minecraft. - Hard modet -> Feed the Beast.
Its funny.
I play KSP.
Its funny too

There two different games:
KSP -> Balistic, going interplanetary
Minecraft -> Build Base...

I would like a game with booth parts, too...
(Minecraft in KSP... Build a Base in Minecraft, go interplanetary with KSP :D )

8 hours ago, CodeFantastic said:

Minecraft = A trashy indie game for 12 year olds

KSP = An educational game for all ages that teaches people the wounder of the universe.

These games are on complete different levels.

Minecraft is not that bad. It is the community that sucks these days. When I started playing Minecraft way back in 2011 the community was pretty good. There weren't any annoying 12 year olds back then. However, Minecraft's community seems to keep getting younger while I keep getting older. Releasing Minecraft on consoles was the killer. Though a good bussiness move it made it much easier for the younger players to get. This brought on the Younger and annoying community Minecraft has today.

5 hours ago, NotaKlutz-42516 said:

What do car prices have to do with indie games?

About as much as Minecraft has to do with KSP

5 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

What does Minecraft have to do with KSP?

Ninja'd! By 5 hours!

I have played a lot of both, though I'm sure I've by now played more KSP than any other game in my life (And I tend to play the same game a lot). I burned out on Minecraft years ago to the point where I don't actually want to play any game where you have almost full freedom to build a base in an open landscape. This includes Rust, Space Engineers, and even Fallout 4. I just have *ZERO* desire to ever go down that road again. It's not that I'm afraid I'll get pulled in. It's that I'd far rather do most anything else.

KSP on the other hand, I can't get enough of. Sure it's buggy. Sure there are problems with career mode. But I get to do SPACE.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I'm going to go with Minecraft. 

KSP is niche, there is no denying that.  Those interested in space travel will gravitate to it, but the rest probably will not.  Minecraft is simple enough for anyone to jump right in and has no specific interest associated with it.

So yeah, Minecraft is going to go down in history as being much more popular than KSP, but that's ok.  KSP doesn't have to beat Minecraft.

3 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

So we combine them!

Kerbal Space Minecraft!

On second thought...let's not. It would either end in tears, or I'd starve to death.

-Jn-

They have that.  It's called StarMade.  Although, really it's probably closer to Elite Dangerous than KSP.

Edited by Alshain

I love both KSP and Minecraft. But, I don't think its fair to try and compare the two. There are similarities, but Minecraft is light years ahead of KSP in terms of development. Minecraft is a polished diamond. KSP is still rough around the edges. Minecraft also has a huge advantage. It doesn't have to rely on a separate game engine. How many times have we heard "sorry, that's a Unity bug and there is nothing we can do about it but wait for Unity to update". The developers of Minecraft can do what they want, whenever they want. They dictate terms to everybody. KSP has no such luxury. They pretty much have to go with whatever Steam or Sony or Microsoft or Unity or Nintendo dictate to them, and it shows in the latest release.

7 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

So we combine them!

Kerbal Space Minecraft!

On second thought...let's not. It would either end in tears, or I'd starve to death.

-Jn-

Yes, yes... Call SQUAD and Mojang! We must have this!

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Yes, yes... Call SQUAD and Mojang! We must have this!

It's called Space Engineers.

That said, I have to side with Minecraft because of the redstone. But then I'm a computer engineer and I play with FPGAs for fun, so I'm biased towards Turing complete systems. I've not yet managed to make a computer out of rocket parts. (kOS is cheating, just like ComputerCraft is cheating and Verilog is cheating... Fun, fun cheating.)

13 hours ago, ShawnPhillips said:

Minecraft is not that bad. It is the community that sucks these days. When I started playing Minecraft way back in 2011 the community was pretty good. There weren't any annoying 12 year olds back then. However, Minecraft's community seems to keep getting younger while I keep getting older. Releasing Minecraft on consoles was the killer. Though a good bussiness move it made it much easier for the younger players to get. This brought on the Younger and annoying community Minecraft has today.

Some Minecrafters have blamed the decline of the community on ... Curse. The same Curse Squad contracted out KSP mod hosting too. Probably one reason that was one of Squad's least popular decisions, along with Curse formerly spreading malware.

And I'm familiar with the annoying-Minecraft-kids issue, by way of a Twitch streamer I sometimes watch who doesn't use facecam on Minecraft streams because when he does he just gets kids going "OMG how old are you!" all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2016 at 6:39 AM, Mjp1050 said:

I like both KSP and Minecraft. But whenever I play Minecraft, I end up building something like this:

kcLlgFJ.png

eh??!! what do you mean. does this scrap metal flies?

On 5/22/2016 at 4:51 AM, The Thyroid Man said:

The one huge difference between KSP and Minecraft is that in minecraft, you can't go to space.

Therefore, minecraft is a piece of junk and KSP should be worshipped

:D

WOOHOO! YEHE! KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!

KSP IS GOD AND MINECRAFT IS A KERBAL'S POOP!

MOJANG WHAT HAVE YOU DEVLOPED???

On 20.5.2016 at 2:41 PM, NotaKlutz-42516 said:

KSP excels in simulating real-life aerodynamics and spaceflight

Excels ?

You are talking about Kerbal Space Program where a lander explodes if a kerbal accidentally touches it ?

or where you spontaneously start to Spin in Orbit without no Reason ?

(and the list is long)

nonsense.

I've played both games extensively and they excel in different fields. Minecraft excels at getting out your creative side, with a touch of engineering and economics (redstone, farming etc). Minecraft is primarily a multiplayer game for me, I find it quite boring to play it singleplayer. KSP is a different animal, it istill involves some creativity, but a lot more engineering and science. Minecraft is about building worlds, KSP is about exploring other worlds.

In certain ways they are somewhat comparable, but they have very different concepts and can't be directly compared, as stated in posts above. KSP is higher ranked on my list than Minecraft, but neither are on the top of my list actually. 

Edited by Mjarf

KSP is a true single player game. I can lose hours in it without having the need to have interactions with the outside world. 

Minecraft is great to play with a friend! Also much easier and relaxing. I like the survival aspect of Minecraft a lot. Though nowadays I stopped with Minecraft and play Empyrion Galactic Survival with friends. 

12 hours ago, Sirad said:

Excels ?

You are talking about Kerbal Space Program where a lander explodes if a kerbal accidentally touches it ?

or where you spontaneously start to Spin in Orbit without no Reason ?

(and the list is long)

nonsense.

I never said KSP doesn't have any bugs.

Well, as a person who has played both games I would say you have to define what you mean by best but I would have to go with Minecraft.  While you can say you are comparing bananas vs. apples (which is something people say when you don't want to get yelled out) I prefer bananas.  I like KSP but I have to add mods to play it.  I love Minecraft and have to add mods to make it harder.  Just like one adds mods to Fallout or Skyrim.  But I could play it without them.  I find Minecraft relaxing, enjoyable, and can do anything I wish in it, like Dwarf Fortress or UnReal World or, to a certain degree, even Hearts of Iron 3 or Mount & Blade: Warband.  Minecraft is well know, played by more people (don't even pretend it isn't), and all ages can play it.  Yes, I know young players also play KSP but I am betting the Minecraft crowd has some who are even younger.  

You may say people play it to waste time (which is insulting) but I would say they play it to enjoy it.  Sometimes I just don't enjoy KSP.  And sometimes I just don't play.  When I come home and think, I want to play a enjoyable game I pick one of the others.  When I come home and think to myself, I REALLY want to see if I can get that SSTO to work because it is bothering me, I sometimes play KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.