[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

On 1/16/2018 at 2:46 PM, ondert said:

What might be the issue?

The issue might be that you have unlocked Aviation but you have not yet unlocked Aerodynamics.

Another issue is that you did not provide enough information for someone to provide an authoritative answer.  You may have noticed that many forum veterans tend to either respond frostily to such questions or ignore them.

SpErFYA.png

---

Spot the landing gears. Made a lot of them recently. I wasn't consistent with my work so didn't update here. So I'll let the pictures show what I've done. Not sure if I should pack other parts with all the landing parts or not. Already made up to 5 landing gears and possibly one more. The 5th landing gear isn't on the pictures though.

8QFmQpU.pngHiaRNqX.png

--

I have more pictures but then I'd be putting a whole lot. Just one more :P 

eL1fYm7.png

It's almost like a full update already. I'll probably release it with some fixes and craft files.

Oh YES YES YES YES YES!

I made an ASET cockpit for the X-1, btw. My classes were iced out, so I had some unexpected time this week. I made it in 1.3 with old props, but I'm downloading 1.3.1 and updates for everything to test it before I upload sometime this weekend or next week.

Also, is that a new X1 rocket engine?!?! Beautiful.

51 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Oh YES YES YES YES YES!

I made an ASET cockpit for the X-1, btw. My classes were iced out, so I had some unexpected time this week. I made it in 1.3 with old props, but I'm downloading 1.3.1 and updates for everything to test it before I upload sometime this weekend or next week.

Also, is that a new X1 rocket engine?!?! Beautiful.

No, that's four of the little stock radial-mount rockets and a 0.625m intake.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:23 AM, blackheart612 said:

SpErFYA.png

---

Spot the landing gears. Made a lot of them recently. I wasn't consistent with my work so didn't update here. So I'll let the pictures show what I've done. Not sure if I should pack other parts with all the landing parts or not. Already made up to 5 landing gears and possibly one more. The 5th landing gear isn't on the pictures though.

8QFmQpU.pngHiaRNqX.png

--

I have more pictures but then I'd be putting a whole lot. Just one more :P 

eL1fYm7.png

It's almost like a full update already. I'll probably release it with some fixes and craft files.

Awesome,fixed wing landing gear and the x1 rocket engine! :D

I really wonder when are the next pics coming out,I'm hyped to see more of the next update.:)

More Teasers?

---

GlLuQbC.pngcGBpJku.pngVcPzU1V.png

---

Skydocker:

Spoiler

o9hRHsN.png

Updated Emu Liner:

Spoiler

cECpSkQ.png

Pioneer Drone:

Spoiler

udZP7dS.png

Updated Aeris 2A:

Spoiler

qpSiPpc.png

---

QbzcOlo.pngAkaeItX.png

(It's the gear of the B-29)

---

The X-1 is yes, handcrafted from existing stock parts. @MaverickSawyer was spot on.

Few fixes down the line, testing is on going, I'm hoping I could release in less than 24 hours.
By the way, should I upload the craft files for the AW609 based Turboprop VTOL or Skydocker (Skycrane) or the Pioneer Drone (Predator)?
More importantly, should I upload the Stratocarrier - Machbuster set (B-29 with X-1 under) craft files? Even though I don't know how people will use it? It was used for testing but I figured there's no use now.

Oh My Zeus!  Shiny!  Seriously, wow.

On the craft files - yes, yes, yes.  While they may not seem to you to be of much use, consider this.  They serve as inspiration to new players (like me) wondering what to do with a bunch of parts.

Release 20

The amount of things I need to update when I have an update is... a lot. And it's just a few parts, too. I reduced the clutter on the OP but that's a lot of new crafts. I'll follow it all up in another 24 hours, hopefully. (Already done!) First, the update is here, full of landing gears. Other still experimental despite being tested already. I'd like to know your experience and hopefully get more feedback on how they should function. Of course, what I can do is limited so not all will be granted. Here's the changelog also available in the OP:

Added KS-320 Assymetric Landing Gear based on the Airbus A320 Rear Landing Gear

Added KS-FAT-29 Huge Landing Gear based on the B-29 Superfortress Rear Landing Gear

Added KS-51 Landing Gear based on the P-51 Mustang Wing Landing Gear

Added KS-16 Slant Landing Gear based on the F-16 Fighting Falcon Rear Landing Gear

Added KS-X1 Steerable Landing Gear based on the Bell X-1 Front Landing Gear

Added KS-X1 Assymetric Landing Gear based on the Bell X-1 Rear Landing Gear

-

Fixed Size 2 Cargo Bay CRG-15 having aerodynamics, animation and clamping relations (Usgiyi)

Fixed intake texture of the K76 "Predator" Turboprop Engine (Citizen247)

Fixed Short Tail Connector Size 2A having no collider (Citizen247)

Closed the collider of the 9J "Baron" Rotary Engine for FAR users

---

And since I bombarded pictures already, here's a vid. It's already in the description but I didn't originally intend to have this as a cinematic, I just decided it would look cool if it was. Obviously, I'm no good at it.

Extra Vid also on OP:

Spoiler

@MadmanMorton I don't remember B-29 landing gears having exposed wheels but I could make one with exposed wheels in the future.

@TMasterson5

---

Enjoy your landing gears :P Edit: And craft files!

Edited by blackheart612

Beautiful work as always! I remember back when this mod was a couple of propellers and a cockpit or two. I thought, "Oh, this'll be a nice supplement to SXT and KAX aircraft parts,"  and now APP has completely replaced those two mods in my installs. The only SXT parts I use now are the Bonny and Clyde cockpits.

Thank you so much for these fantastic airplane parts.

2 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Beautiful work as always! I remember back when this mod was a couple of propellers and a cockpit or two. I thought, "Oh, this'll be a nice supplement to SXT and KAX aircraft parts,"  and now APP has completely replaced those two mods in my installs. The only SXT parts I use now are the Bonny and Clyde cockpits.

Thank you so much for these fantastic airplane parts.

I agree, amazing work!

@blackheart612 Would you be interested in adding and maintaining a .version file?  As I was installing today's update I was just noticing I couldn't figure out which previous version I had installed.  Not much to it - I wrote a sample:

AirplanePlus.version

{
  "NAME": "AirplanePlus",
  "URL": "https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/140262-131-airplane-plus-r200-supersonic-6-retractable-landing-gears-jan-23-2018/",
  "DOWNLOAD": "https://spacedock.info/mod/716/Airplane%20Plus",
  "VERSION": {
    "MAJOR": 20,
    "MINOR": 0,
    "PATCH": 0,
    "BUILD": 0
  },
  "KSP_VERSION": {
    "MAJOR": 1,
    "MINOR": 3,
    "PATCH": 1
  },
  "KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
    "PATCH": 0
  },
  "KSP_VERSION_MAX": {
    "PATCH": 99
  }
}

Edited by fourfa

@theonegalen I would've been discouraged without all the support I got here. So the positive feedback helped me a whole lot to just keep adding new things. :) 

@MaverickSawyer I'm still investigating it, I'm suspecting that it's because of the small amount of actually dampening due to the size of the landing gear. Diagonal suspension isn't actually possible in stock KSP unless I'm missing something, so the wheels move instead and that kind of gives me a limitation on how much the suspension dampens. If I get to it, I'll try it with a new model, see what happens.

@fourfa Seems straight forward. Even I am having difficulty to track at this point. Keeping the filenames the same and all... I'm going to put one in for the next one if I remember.

I might be in danger of not being your favorite person @blackheart612, but the 9J "Baron" Rotary Engine is still generating too much drag :/. FAR is still screwing up the voxel generation somewhere. I was at a loss, everything looked right until I flew a craft and then brought it back into the hangar and voxilized again:
iSZgTQ7.png

Voxilize before flight or remove the engine and readd, everything looks correct. Voxilize after and it looks like the above. I've tested it with a whole bunch of the other engines and they all look fine both before and after flight, so it's only an issue with this one. I'm at a loss to explain why, but it looks like for some reason FAR voxilizes the prop effect disc in flight, but only for this engine!

So it looks like the hollow collider wasn't the problem, sorry...

EDIT: When I get a chance I'mm going to try and look at the model and configs and compare them to the other engines to try and work out what might be causing this.

Edited by Citizen247

Removing the "disc_placeholder" mesh from the model and swapping it for "disc" in the config fixes the voxilization problem, but also breaks the propeller animation.

Knowing the problem I was able to write this patch for FAR:

@PART[fokkerprop]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@MODULE[GeometryPartModule]
	{
		%forceUseColliders = True
	}
}

It prevents FAR from using any geometry to voxilization. Testing it the plane no longer tops out at 60mph and doesn't have huge levels of drag. It also doesn't generate the huge disc of voxels.

@fourfa I was under the impression that my IVAs are worse, actually. Stock ones has way better texture, well arranged interiors and you can actually see while in IVA. It's great that I might not be adding parts for Release 21, I want to tend to IVA as well. It's kind of an annoyance that female kerbals have lower eyes than male ones. And the fact that I base interior and the exterior in real life makes it difficult to fit a kerbals' huge head!

@Citizen247 I'm... confused. Is it fixed or is it not? It sounds like you fixed it :P 

The one thing I wish this mod had that it doesn't is 1.875m DC-3 parts. But I know you don't like going outside of the Squad sizes, so I understand why you haven't made anything like that, @blackheart612.

Incidentally, did you hear that KSP 1.4 or the Making History expansion is going to have 1.875m parts? :wink: