[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

Minor problem, just visual actually. It would be nice if we could reverse the spin direction (and blade direction as well) of some of the rotors. My little intermeshing helicopter's blade are suppose to spin in opposite directions from each other.

aObReFN.png

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

And im also encountering a strange bug, when i set the Gemini rotor on that craft in hover mode the helicopter just drops.

On 6/2/2017 at 8:26 PM, blackheart612 said:

Revised the way all helicopter rotors work, now with hovering (not for use with tandem rotors)*

And Tweakscale compatibility has been a thing that's discussed over and over, I do not prioritize external mods over the mod itself, that's why there are user patches on the OP. Which probably has what you need.

Edit: I updated the OP to contain compatibility FAQs so that people need not to browse around to see if such questions are asked already.

Anyway, if the Gemini Rotor indeed couldn't lift 7t, then I'll try fixing it soon. I didn't test it that much after all, there's a probability that it doesn't work as expected.

@TedwinKnockman66 The default RPM is 200 for that rotor, try dragging it up to 600, not that it would reach it. But during the tests, it should be able to lift a bit more than 11.5t which is pretty heavy in my opinion.

@RuBisCO I'd like to, but trust me, there's a lot of mesh copies involved and there's also some cheesing on the way FSengineBladed works. I only did it on the Gemini because it's supposed to be a tandem rotor and the top of the coaxial because it should be spinning in reverse, I wouldn't dare do it on the regular rotors.

Edited by blackheart612

2 minutes ago, TedwinKnockman66 said:

I tried even to do 1000 rpm, still weak

The rotor can't actually reach that high rpm, if you look in the right click menu while at max rpm limit and full throttle you can see where the rpm bottoms out.

4 hours ago, blackheart612 said:
On 6/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, blackheart612 said:

Revised the way all helicopter rotors work, now with hovering (not for use with tandem rotors)*

And Tweakscale compatibility has been a thing that's discussed over and over, I do not prioritize external mods over the mod itself, that's why there are user patches on the OP. Which probably has what you need.

Oh... sorry for bothering you, i actually downloaded the mod from CKAN and only checked this forum for updates.

@TedwinKnockman66 I can confirm, the released rotor can't hold that much. Thanks for reporting, I'll fix it on my next release. I recommend using the Beluga, it's capable of 11.5t like I said, it should fly your craft.

@WereCat I've tested the Gemini Rotors while I'm at it, and with tandem rotor configuration, it's capable of taking off with a recommended weight of at most 20t. You have to increase the rotor's RPM so that you can carry more. It's configured to be lower RPM as too much might flip the craft upside down. Anyway, I found out that I may have released it with a very long delay on the starting sounds due to changes on my startups. If people want the fix, I can upload a config here.

1 hour ago, blackheart612 said:

@WereCat I've tested the Gemini Rotors while I'm at it, and with tandem rotor configuration, it's capable of taking off with a recommended weight of at most 20t.

Ok so i kind of derped out and didn't realize that tandem rotors means two rotors, on my craft i only have one Gemini rotor and that glitch with the hover happens.

Edited by WereCat

8 minutes ago, Inacio said:

Is there a way to run this in 1.2.2 with fixed (aka not just in the right ear) audio?

3 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

@Inacio I think the github of firespitter had released a 1.2.2 with sounds fixed. Not sure if it's available still now.

There was no official 1.2.2 release for fixed sound firespitter but you if you go to https://github.com/ethanwdp/Firespitter/raw/d10bf6f0433e86147aa23f9c13c46f5c9a5e6961/For release/Firespitter/Plugins/Firespitter.dll you can download a 1.2.2 compatible dll and as long as you replace the current dll with the newly downloaded one sounds should be fixed.

@WereCat It's a side effect of what @RuBisCO wants, I haven't perfected it, nor am I hopeful that it's completely possible to be flawless, but cheesing out the tandem rotor look (aka, when switching out the engine meshes, the rotors' spin are opposite direction), technically, the hover does work, just unpredictably, most often it's just continually up or down. I may remove the opposite direction spinning direction when mesh switching due to this.

Oh hover works, nice. It is kind of tricky with a compound helicopter adjusting the thrust on both the lift rotors and the pusher at the same time. I simply put it into cruise and than brought the lifting props to minimum rotation.

Something I noticed with hover- it rapidly alternates the collective between -15 and 15. This causes the rotor RPM to rapidly decrease. For example, take the beluga on a reasonably heavy heli. Start the engines, but leave the throttle at zero. The RPMs will increase to whatever max they are set at, and when you increase collective, you will lift off. (Duh) Now, try decreasing collective while landed to large negative values. You will see the RPM's drop from the set value, as it should. The problem is that hover mode rapidly alternates the collective, asking far too much torque from the rotor, killing its RPM and crashing the craft while technically the rotor can easily lift the helicopter. 

1 hour ago, StevenRS11 said:

Something I noticed with hover- it rapidly alternates the collective between -15 and 15. This causes the rotor RPM to rapidly decrease. For example, take the beluga on a reasonably heavy heli. Start the engines, but leave the throttle at zero. The RPMs will increase to whatever max they are set at, and when you increase collective, you will lift off. (Duh) Now, try decreasing collective while landed to large negative values. You will see the RPM's drop from the set value, as it should. The problem is that hover mode rapidly alternates the collective, asking far too much torque from the rotor, killing its RPM and crashing the craft while technically the rotor can easily lift the helicopter. 

Whether hovering or not is not the matter, when the blades are deployed, it encounters resistance as opposed to when it's not angled (zero throttle). It produces lift, but it reduces RPM. It's precisely because it's 15 or -15 is why it's limited in RPM but it's also the fastest response time. If you want to get full RPM, you should throttle 15 to 0 collective pitch instead of 15 to -15. This will make descent slower, slightly less responsive hovering, but you get full RPM, and it's possible by doing the hover method before this patch. (Diazo's vertical control plugin)

I love this mod, but just out of curiosity, do you think you might be able to work on a cockpit similar to the one of the Super Guppy aircraft?, you know like, the top half connects to 3.75m parts and the bottom to 2.5m. I'm not to sure about this as an idea, but I would like to see it. Other than that, this is AWESOME :D