[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

New parts look great! They filled lot of gaps in game, helped a lot to me when building planes..

I cant think of anything to suggest at this moment, but i had some ideas few days ago, not sure how possible this would be from modelling perspective, just made a simple image on photoshop, may give you some ideas;

JqBN6B.png

Starts in a circular shape and ends like raptors nose, I'd love to have nosecone like this. Yet again this is just a personal idea, may not be useful to others.

25 minutes ago, qromodynmc said:

New parts look great! They filled lot of gaps in game, helped a lot to me when building planes..

I cant think of anything to suggest at this moment, but i had some ideas few days ago, not sure how possible this would be from modelling perspective, just made a simple image on photoshop, may give you some ideas;

JqBN6B.png

Starts in a circular shape and ends like raptors nose, I'd love to have nosecone like this. Yet again this is just a personal idea, may not be useful to others.

I'd love to have that. Even better if it had antenna or BDArmory radar functionality!

You got a purdy jet, there. I wonder how ridiculous the Concorde nose and KP-12 would look together... Only one way to find out! Propeller-driven air speed record, here I come! (Actually, I think I've already beaten that, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

Aside, can someone please explain to me why there are no aftermarket landing gear? Side-folding variations would be the perfect coup de grâce. 

Edited by kiwinanday
Formatz

8 minutes ago, kiwinanday said:

You got a purdy jet, there. I wonder how ridiculous the Concorde nose and KP-12 would look together... Only one way to find out! Propeller-driven air speed record, here I come! (Actually, I think I've already beaten that, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

Aside, can someone please explain to me why there are no aftermarket landing gear? Side-folding variations would be the perfect coup de grâce. 

Most landing gear from various mods like ALG and Retrofuture have to be redone entirely because of the new Unity. ALG especially needs a whole new code put in place. So mostly we're stuck with stock till they get around to it because the gear aren't priority compared to getting other mods functional.

There is side-folding gear in Firespitter but it makes my plane jump.

Edited by XOC2008

@blackheart612

I was using your mod with the current dev version of FAR for 1.2.2 and ran into a slight problem with some of your parts, specifically the cockpits. I checked over in the FAR thread first and they said it looks like there are holes in the collision meshes for the parts, please see the gallery below for screens of the issue.

http://imgur.com/a/9xrWZ

In case you are unaware FAR uses the collision mesh to create a voxel model of the craft which is used to calculate cross-sectional area and other aerodynamic properties. At least that is my understanding of it. All of the parts should be filled with voxels however as you can see many of them are hollow and it appears the main culprit has to do with the canopies. Any chance we can get these meshes fixed?

57 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Most landing gear from various mods like ALG and Retrofuture have to be redone entirely because of the new Unity. ALG especially needs a whole new code put in place. So mostly we're stuck with stock till they get around to it because the gear aren't priority compared to getting other mods functional.

There is side-folding gear in Firespitter but it makes my plane jump.

I sorely miss the Retro-Future gears. Those were gorgeous.

Adjustables may return soon, though. It's on at least a couple people's radar.

Spoiler

Vb0js4S.png

H1toJmY.png

The air ramp didn't quite reach the ground, so I had to improvise. Works well enough. Put Juno jet engines on the nacelle afts to simulate the exhaust thrust of the KP-12. 260m/s seems to be the aforementioned engines top speed, but that still puts me at 936km/h, which beats the Tu-114 by 66km/h (18m/s).

I claim success!

Edited by kiwinanday
m0@r pix

@qromodynmc It's possible. All I can say. :P No ETA but possible nevertheless.

@EstebanLB I think I'm really crowding Mk1 now so I'm most likely not gonna make another Mk1 cockpit anytime soon. I don't know how two kerbals is OP though, if it's a career mode thing, I'll hike the price so that it's expensive. Otherwise, if it can carry two in a model, I think it should work that way.

@kiwinanday I studied landing gears for a while now. I can't figure out how the gears work by trial and error. I haven't tried everything though. I'll try to reimport a squad gear and see from there if I learn anything. Won't be anytime in the future though. Animating it and arranging the hierarchy will be a real pain.
Also, the ramp is for the small landing gear. If it's a bigger gear and I tried to make a ramp that would reach the ground, it wouldn't fit on the door. and would have to use a different, more bulky mechanism (eating interior space, and such mechanism is non-existent irl). So, good thing there's an alternate door which I designed for that.

@Akira_R Yep, there are holes on the collider, because convex colliders fill holes, that's why I simplify the mesh by removing detailed parts. I can fix them on next release and fill them in manually.
Though, question. The Mk1/0 (zero cockpit) has two separate colliders - a cylinder (hollow) and a capsule collider (for canopy). Do I need to fill the cylinder  hole alone, or do I have to change the whole collider into one big collider? Because that will cause some collider issues, it will make L shaped parts become \ shaped because convex colliders simplify uneven meshes. So when you attach things on it, it won't be the same shape as the displayed mesh. If it's fine to have separate colliders and just need the holes to be filled, I can do that.

7 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

*snip*

I studied landing gears for a while now. I can't figure out how the gears work by trial and error. I haven't tried everything though. I'll try to reimport a squad gear and see from there if I learn anything. Won't be anytime in the future though. Animating it and arranging the hierarchy will be a real pain.
Also, the ramp is for the small landing gear. If it's a bigger gear and I tried to make a ramp that would reach the ground, it wouldn't fit on the door. and would have to use a different, more bulky mechanism (eating interior space, and such mechanism is non-existent irl). So, good thing there's an alternate door which I designed for that.

@Akira_R Yep, there are holes on the collider, because convex colliders fill holes, that's why I simplify the mesh by removing detailed parts. I can fix them on next release and fill them in manually.
Though, question. The Mk1/0 (zero cockpit) has two separate colliders - a cylinder (hollow) and a capsule collider (for canopy). Do I need to fill the cylinder  hole alone, or do I have to change the whole collider into one big collider? Because that will cause some collider issues, it will make L shaped parts become \ shaped because convex colliders simplify uneven meshes. So when you attach things on it, it won't be the same shape as the displayed mesh. If it's fine to have separate colliders and just need the holes to be filled, I can do that.

I believe that you can have separate colliders without any issues.

If I remember correctly the Mk1/0 cockpit behaved very interestingly, if it was sandwiched between two parts with "working" colliders then FAR saw it as having the same cross sectional area as a Mk1 fuel tank, otherwise it viewed it as having no volume.

In regards to wheels might I suggest taking a look at this:

It works much much better than the junk Unity 5 wheel system that stock uses.

1 minute ago, kiwinanday said:

Gorgeous. Where's the fuel go, in the engine nacelles?

Yeah, 1600l fuel total, thanks to Far it can go supercruise at sea level so it doesnt use fuel much.

Edited by qromodynmc

@kiwinanday It already has it, just a little tiny tip though. I think it's going too far if I extend it farther. (Structural integrity-wise). Nevermind the nothing longer exists in real life, I think there is. I just want this better :P I also want it to function just like the real airstair I and the previous mod that made the same design based it from. The second option is based from the airbus.

@qromodynmc I don't have patience to do all those wings. :( I'll just install Pwings... haha

@Akira_R It's gonna happen, then. KSPWheel was suggested before. I'm interested and I like. But it's not enough to make me give up my one plug-in dependency rule :P 

Despite this mod having a few issues it is on the right track.

last few days I have been having a lot of fun hopping around KSC in my little Bell 47 replica (the iconic Korean war chopper). With a top speed of just 60/ms it's not fast but it's stable and very manoeuvrable.

http://tex.texel.com/ksp120/screenshot41.png

http://tex.texel.com/ksp120/screenshot42.png

20 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

I have a part like this bug not junior sized, am I correct to assume you'd like a half version of that? It's doable.

@blackheart612

That would be amazing! I've tried my hand at making it myself but I just don't have the time or skill to get into modding ksp.....Thanks again for your work!

@Aerospacer It's possible. Hopefully I don't forget.

@ShadowRanger787 I'll see if I can do it soon. No time frame for release though, Just saying.

Especially I'm feeling kinda lazy right now. I'll maybe lay back for one or two days just to avoid burnout. Will return on regular pace. Today though, I filled the cockpits' missing colliders so hopefully it's fine. (@Akira_R) I'll probably try and install FAR. I don't know that much about it, but I liked it before as a consumer.

In the meantime, I'll be playing for a while. Another issue I found, I've set Mk2 Non-Commercial cockpit (Falcon) to have 2 max crew. This will be fixed on the next release. Sorry about that. I try to test them all. A couple issues really pass through. I've fixed all the re-orientation of the navball whenever there's a revert. Apparently, if the cockpit is not rotated to 0, 0, 0 in unity, even if it looks right, the navball re-orients to the unity rotation after a revert.

nwCpuzU.png0MQAMlE.png