[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

14 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

For mk2 yes, but not 2.5m parts.

Was referring to the guy asking about F22

1 hour ago, SpaceToad said:

Red vs Blue is outdated. Plus, i'd like to see blackheart's take on it.

Red vs Blue CONTINUED is not outdated

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, Lo Var Lachland said:

I don't like using that app. It allows someone else to see my computer, which is not good. 

team viewer is completely not what you think it is, its not not as open as you think, its waay more secure, now that's out the way, are you still having trouble? I can talk you through it take screenshots and i'll pm you a walkthrough

I've been designing a jet/propeller plane mix, and I'm having a problem. The KT6A "Kitty" engine launches off good, but it flames out as soon as it gets up in the air! I've put a ton of air intakes on the plane, but that isn't working either! HELP!!!

15 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I've been designing a jet/propeller plane mix, and I'm having a problem. The KT6A "Kitty" engine launches off good, but it flames out as soon as it gets up in the air! I've put a ton of air intakes on the plane, but that isn't working either! HELP!!!

Are you overspeeding the engine? It'll flameout if you go to fast.

8 hours ago, SparkyFox said:

team viewer is completely not what you think it is, its not not as open as you think, its waay more secure, now that's out the way, are you still having trouble? I can talk you through it take screenshots and i'll pm you a walkthrough

I'll screenshot it to you.

@qromodynmc I have something in mind about bombs. And other weapons as well for that matter. But I'm not doing those things yet. Though I'm planning to package in cargo bays like Mk3's

--

Anyway, finalized the mechanism design at last, as well as color designation for texturing. Here's the Size 2 Ramp:

jVHb0IF.png

Unlike the Mk3 ramp, the ramp itself isn't very long, it's split into two, despite having same design as Mk3. The other (rear) half moves upward while the other (front) half is the ramp. The over all design, including the piston extenders are inspired mostly by the C-130's ramp.

On 2017-04-28 at 9:51 AM, Salvator said:

Hi, could anyone here give me an advice on my helicopter? When i was building small helicopters (size 1), they worked like a charm. Probably the reaction wheels were powerful enough. But i have a problem with size 2 helicopters - the higher the throttle, the more they tend to pitch up uncontrollably. I somehow solved it by positioning the main rotor slightly back, so that the CoT is a bit behind the CoM. But i still don't understand the reason of this behaviour, when the CoT a CoM are perfectly aligned and i would like to solve it a different way, because moving the CoT works at high speeds, but causes bad vehaviour while trying to hover. There are 5 large reaction wheels hidden inside (still not enough) and fuel is perfectly balanced, it doesn't shift the CoM at all, when it's being consumed. Here's the beauty:

1wCAV36.png

Apologies for not answering your question, but how did you get the CoT to show? I tried searching this thread with numerous keywords, but no solutions seemed to have been posted since it's supposedly a bug with Firespitter itself.

12 minutes ago, ethanwdp said:

Apologies for not answering your question, but how did you get the CoT to show? I tried searching this thread with numerous keywords, but no solutions seemed to have been posted since it's supposedly a bug with Firespitter itself.

He used a KAX rotor.

Some quick feedback on the mod. The lack of "extensions" for the shafts is quite annoying when trying to make a helicopter purtier, and I cannot simply plop the prop on top of a cube strut because from what I've seen every helicopter engine in this mod has an attachment node but only attaches radially for some reason. This means that I have to add a silly amount of length to it to stop the main blades from visually colliding (they don't actually have physical collision, thankfully) or do some strange voodoo magic with some stock parts and TweakScale, because there's no way to just add a longer shaft.

This is quite a bit of a nitpick on my part, but FSEngine props still use fuel even when I have infinite propellant enabled in the debug menu, making experimentation a little more difficult as I can't figure out if it's an issue with fuel balance or if my aircraft was already unbalanced to begin with.

This, compounded by the CoT not being visible in the SPH making balancing a guessing game of "let's hope I put the rotor center close enough to the CoG", makes creating a helicopter a chore. I enjoyed making my first two or three helicopters, but after that the annoyances outweighed the fun.

I'm aware that the Firespitter bugs are out of your control. However, I think it's worth mentioning that KAX seems to have worked around the aforementioned issues, but I'm not sure if it'd even be feasible for other mods (i.e this one) to do the same, considering that KAX has a much smaller part pool to focus on.

Other than that, this mod is great. It was a blast to play around with, and I greatly appreciate the work you've spent on it.

@qromodynmc That'll be :funds:10,000 :P 

@ethanwdp I have no defense. I'm guilty for wanting the FSEngine modules, made it work and managed to get me trapped there somehow. The sounds and everything else are matched for FSEngine, put simply. I cross my fingers for people who are generous enough to dabble to FS if they know coding. Technically, with much hard work though, I could bring them back to normal engines. But what really matters is I like the FSEngine RPM. It's what sets my turboshafts away from my props. I made them unique. That's why its my fault it's like that... (Also, I reported your post due to seeing 2 duplicates on my side, upon refresh, it was gone so I don't know what just happened)

--

Anyway, more on the update side.

giphy.gif

--

Bill viewing the entirety of the hull, entering through the passenger Air Ramp in the front.

KIDbAHp.png

--

Further detailing:

6Cg8FoN.png

As stated in the picture, the already released Size Parts mix in with the new ones. The texture are early and not yet final for the exterior. However the interior you see will most likely be the release texture.

The Size 2 Hull is a mesh switch so that it's possible to just adapt it to the existing Fuselage in the interior.

Due to the fact that S2 Fuselages are a copied idea from Mk1's, it still has texture clipping/z-fighting on the inside. (ridiculously intended feature which might be fixed in the future) 
However, the newer parts are based of the idea of Mk3 cargo parts, and have no such issue.

@kiwinanday There are no fix for curves if you're referring to what I was telling before regarding the early engines. I did boost their power output in current dev version but I merely smoothed most of the curves and still are originally Tanner's with changes on weight variation and power. So far the pre-modern engines still hold up better than the early engines so it's still usable and you can still wing it under dire circumstances. Unlike early engines which will basically stall you every time.
Also, I almost deleted my current dev version due to testing and ran out of disk space, permanently deleting what was supposed to be in the bin. Thanks to notepad still open, the parts that are added and modified didn't need to be redone as it was still using it, leading the parts folder not to be deleted. So I just copied the deleted files from previous versions. Hopefully nothing was removed. At this point, that's quite a handful of parts for me to check with all the stuff going on.

@kiwinanday Behind the scenes, there were no changes on configs though, I still don't have a full grasp on the power situation. I wouldn't mind some examples so that I could work around it.

Also, finished the texturing of the Size 2 cargo parts. The only unfit part for this is the cargo bay, which has a different line design due to its mechanism. Here's most of the parts' exterior texture connected to existing parts.
aED1vbh.png

Release 15

So this was an early release so there might be some issues, if there are, just tell 'em here and I'll see what I can do. I wanted to squeeze a release out already as I was out for a while. I almost forgot what I added before I took a break! Here's the formal changelog, also on the OP. Do note that I haven't updated the parts list in the zip yet because I forgot...

Added Round-Deluxe Winglet

Added Mk0 Tail Connector*

Added Mk0 Tail Connector Short*

Added Mk0 Junior Liquid Fuel Fuselage*

Added Structural Hull S2 (2 Variants)**

Added Size 2 Cargo Ramp**

Added Size 2 Cargo Bay CRG-15**

Added KS-H1 Fixed Landing Gear, a landing gear for biplane designs

Added KS-V1 Fixed Landing Gear, a landing gear for helicopter designs (based on UH-60)

*can be attached and clipped halfway radially and be used as a creative razorback.

**sized 2.5m set for cargo management, like Mk3, but fits with existing parts

--

Fixed issue where Tiger engine was hard to select

Node added for the Half Mk2 Adapter for reasons unknown, it's now possible to add a boom behind the cockpit

Smoothed performance curves for early engines and gave a boost for them (now quite more powerful and can handle a little higher AoA)

Weight variations are now a thing in early engines, paired with the smoother curves and performance changes mentioned

----

The beautiful Kerbin shore

pqWg9az.png

Valentina flying an early era plane. The part Elevon 0 was bugged here while I was testing things.

MV6NpLm.png

----

@TMasterson5

Also I haven't added your logos yet due to wanting to release early @kiwinanday

9 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@kiwinanday Behind the scenes, there were no changes on configs though, I still don't have a full grasp on the power situation. I wouldn't mind some examples so that I could work around it.

I'll build a demo aircraft and get you some speed readings as soon as I can.

EDIT: Now I feel like I'm going crazy. Preliminary testing shows all systems are, in fact, normal. Am I taking crazy pills?

Edited by kiwinanday

Clearly I've lost my marbles. All engines are performing close to "normal". Maybe I was just being spoiled by the NK-12. I'll finish compiling the data and edit this post with the results, but looks like all the late-gen piston engines (Bumblebee, Divine Wind, Kraken, Marlin, Silver Crow, Tornado, Whirlwind) are good. I need to get those crazy pills checked out....

Initial reaction: very cool new parts!

The Size 2 cargo parts are mismatched, though, FYI. Floors are at different levels between the parts (compare the passenger door size 2 to the new Size 2 Cargo Bay CRG-15, for instance) - it seems to me the floor is placed too low / is too narrow on the new parts, and too high on the old ones, but that's just my "feel." Would be hard to make a 1.25m-based rover and not have the wheels be much wider than the floor bit... I think.

EDIT: Also, the kitty turboshafts are automatically set to rotate on the brakes action group - this should not be default behavior. Not sure what that aero surface module is doing in that part.

EDIT2: The node_attach on the new fixed landing gear are set with the wrong angle (if there are not node_attach-es defined, that would help the initial placement behavior).

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly