[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

The pontoons are also just repurposed parts so they inherit the original parts' durability. It really is just about landing tbh. Can't be too hard on landing

On 4/18/2019 at 11:52 PM, Sebastiaz said:

At any point could we find the Mk2 Commercial cockpit but as a Mk1 part? ^^

Which will this be based on? The size 2 airbus cockpit? Probably not possibe? =w=;

3 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

The pontoons are also just repurposed parts so they inherit the original parts' durability. It really is just about landing tbh. Can't be too hard on landing

Which will this be based on? The size 2 airbus cockpit? Probably not possibe? =w=;

As in the Mk2 F-16 cockpit we already have but in Mk1 form. ^^
So basically without the side parts etc, just the F-16 cockpit itself in a MK1 shape

Edited by Sebastiaz

Can you please provide more detailed install instructions instead of just telling people they didn't install it correctly? I've done everything I can think of to get it to work.  I just redid everything to be able to list out that I did basically everything possible even though I knew some of the things were completely wrong.

When I download the newest version of the mod, it comes as AirplanePlus_26.1.zip.  If I put that into my KSP folder, it does nothing. If I put that into my KSP\GameData folder, it does nothing.

Now, let's extract the zip to get an uncompressed AirplanePlus_26.1 folder.  Placing this in the KSP folder yields nothing. If I move the internal folders/file (AirplanePlus and Firespitter folders and ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll) outside of the AirplanePlus_26.1 folder but leave it in the KSP folder, nothing happens.

If I place the whole folder into my KSP/GameData folder, then I get some parts but I am missing many of them. Furthermore, there are no engine sounds -- even for stock parts.  The same thing happens if I take the contents of the folder out and place them directly into the KSP/GameData folder.

In your instructions you mention that we need to place the GameData folder into the root folder. I can only assume that the root folder is the KSP folder.  And when I extract the zip, there is no GameData folder.  I do already have a GameData folder in my KSP folder.  I tried everything I can think of based off of your instructions.  I am able to get other mods to work perfectly fine, so I am struggling to understand why there is an issue with this mod.

35 minutes ago, vexpyspaceprogram said:

Can you please provide more detailed install instructions instead of just telling people they didn't install it correctly? I've done everything I can think of to get it to work.  I just redid everything to be able to list out that I did basically everything possible even though I knew some of the things were completely wrong.

When I download the newest version of the mod, it comes as AirplanePlus_26.1.zip.  If I put that into my KSP folder, it does nothing. If I put that into my KSP\GameData folder, it does nothing.

Now, let's extract the zip to get an uncompressed AirplanePlus_26.1 folder.  Placing this in the KSP folder yields nothing. If I move the internal folders/file (AirplanePlus and Firespitter folders and ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll) outside of the AirplanePlus_26.1 folder but leave it in the KSP folder, nothing happens.

If I place the whole folder into my KSP/GameData folder, then I get some parts but I am missing many of them. Furthermore, there are no engine sounds -- even for stock parts.  The same thing happens if I take the contents of the folder out and place them directly into the KSP/GameData folder.

In your instructions you mention that we need to place the GameData folder into the root folder. I can only assume that the root folder is the KSP folder.  And when I extract the zip, there is no GameData folder.  I do already have a GameData folder in my KSP folder.  I tried everything I can think of based off of your instructions.  I am able to get other mods to work perfectly fine, so I am struggling to understand why there is an issue with this mod.

Yes, I can provide more info if issues are posted like this here. If you go 1 page back, you'll see that it's my fault that there's no GameData folder in 26.1. AirplanePlus goes into GameData and GameData is in the root folder. Since I don't have GameData in the zip, you need to put the folders inside GameData instead. You need firespitter and module manager in the gamedata as well. All normal mods are installed the same, so if you're new to installation, you'd encounter mostly the same problem, which is not installing it correctly. Just ask around.

Anything deviating from the standard procedure will cause missing sounds, missing parts, missing features. Because most of the content in game are based on the folder structure.

6 hours ago, kerbalaviator said:

Any word on what's coming in the next update?

None, a few posts ago I said I'd focus on Grounded first, and I am. The problem is I have ideas on AirplanePlus so I keep on leaving Grounded behind. Now Im trying to implement new things that'll help career on Grounded and I got stuck for a while. I made the parts now so it's only a matter of time for that. But modding aside, I also do 2d commissions (my source of income for now) and playing other games. I actually feel guilty with @theonegalen, my only patreon for being so slow on things. I'd totally understand if he'd pull out of that one, but I don't wanna rush things too and end up with bad quality. In fact I feel like one of my implementation of Grounded right now on dev is a little bad but I really can't think of any better design. We'll see it right there soon enough though.

Hey guys, I love this mod and what it brings to aviation in the game. My passion is the experimentation and the brainstorming to come up with a plane that fits an exact purpose. I like that this allows you to do that with size, aerodynamics and passenger capacity but im really curious about engine building. I like to attempt to build my own turbo fans using parts from this mod but there are too many limitations. i've started a thread on this subject, if anyone here is interested in the idea building their own engines with parts such as fans, compressor blades, compression chambers etc take a look. id love it if someone smarter than me had any ideas

On 5/1/2019 at 9:31 PM, FlightSergeantMatt said:

Hey guys, I love this mod and what it brings to aviation in the game. My passion is the experimentation and the brainstorming to come up with a plane that fits an exact purpose. I like that this allows you to do that with size, aerodynamics and passenger capacity but im really curious about engine building. I like to attempt to build my own turbo fans using parts from this mod but there are too many limitations. i've started a thread on this subject, if anyone here is interested in the idea building their own engines with parts such as fans, compressor blades, compression chambers etc take a look. id love it if someone smarter than me had any ideas

Well, since you're here, I'd just throw my opinion on this. Procedural/Modular stuff is a real pain to make, I dunno, maybe unless you dedicate a lot of resources to it or something. So far the 'procedural' stuff we have are simple - fairings you can determine the shape of, wings that you can determine the shape of (in four sides only). You can (probably) make procedural fans, compressor, combustion chambers etc, and top it with a procedural fairing for the engine. Since the parts are separated, you'd have to connect them somehow too, making resources such as compressed air being a requirement for the next chamber. On top of that, calculations need to be made based on how your fan size or compressor size affect the production of these resources, as well as the consumption of the required resources. These are a lot of parts too, and you need to duplicate this on how many engines you want on your craft. Might be missing some ideas here and there but that's the gist of it I believe. It would be a plug-in and part combo too, of course.

1 hour ago, blackheart612 said:

Well, since you're here, I'd just throw my opinion on this. Procedural/Modular stuff is a real pain to make, I dunno, maybe unless you dedicate a lot of resources to it or something. So far the 'procedural' stuff we have are simple - fairings you can determine the shape of, wings that you can determine the shape of (in four sides only). You can (probably) make procedural fans, compressor, combustion chambers etc, and top it with a procedural fairing for the engine. Since the parts are separated, you'd have to connect them somehow too, making resources such as compressed air being a requirement for the next chamber. On top of that, calculations need to be made based on how your fan size or compressor size affect the production of these resources, as well as the consumption of the required resources. These are a lot of parts too, and you need to duplicate this on how many engines you want on your craft. Might be missing some ideas here and there but that's the gist of it I believe. It would be a plug-in and part combo too, of course.

Hmm very interesting! Thank you so much for the detailed response as I know nothing about this! My idea was that it might run as if each part (Fan, low pressure compressor blades, high pressure compressor blades, combustion chamber) was its own part with its own thrust, mass and ISP and the parts could just be stacked together to simulate one engine and get a desired affect. So does the majority of your thrust come from a large fan? Then you have a larger, more efficient engine. Or does the majority of your thrust come from having a large number of compressor blades and a combustion chamber with a high burn rate? I don't know if this sounds more plausible?

I was just imagining you would effectively stack multiple "engine" parts together, each with a small amount of thrust to give yourself a desired outcome. I think if each part had a different thrust to weight ratio and a different ISP it would give you so many options and tonnes of opportunity to perfect different designs.   

Edited by FlightSergeantMatt

16 hours ago, FlightSergeantMatt said:

Hmm very interesting! Thank you so much for the detailed response as I know nothing about this! My idea was that it might run as if each part (Fan, low pressure compressor blades, high pressure compressor blades, combustion chamber) was its own part with its own thrust, mass and ISP and the parts could just be stacked together to simulate one engine and get a desired affect. So does the majority of your thrust come from a large fan? Then you have a larger, more efficient engine. Or does the majority of your thrust come from having a large number of compressor blades and a combustion chamber with a high burn rate? I don't know if this sounds more plausible?

I was just imagining you would effectively stack multiple "engine" parts together, each with a small amount of thrust to give yourself a desired outcome. I think if each part had a different thrust to weight ratio and a different ISP it would give you so many options and tonnes of opportunity to perfect different designs.   

Well, then I could just use a lot of high-bypass fans or just compressors instead of an actual engine. I could stack the highest thrust instead. You need one output only which will require the rest of the system or else there is no real incentive to use them.

Great mod love the Idea. I just wish I could use it dang it!!! I am using ksp Version 1.1.3.1289 and I am on a mac so no root folder but I don't' have sound on the mod and on the stock jet engines. I am also missing most of the parts of the mod. And when I take the mod out of game data the stock jet engines make their sound again. I am using the game data folder in the folder labelled KSP_osx were you can find the launcher and KSP itself. I have 4 other versions of KPS would I need to put those on like a usb stick so that they aren’t on the computer? Please, someone, help me I want this mod so bad.

Edited by ProPilotBiasYT

5 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Well, then I could just use a lot of high-bypass fans or just compressors instead of an actual engine. I could stack the highest thrust instead. You need one output only which will require the rest of the system or else there is no real incentive to use them.

To me the fun of KSP was the experimentation when you first started. I just thought it would be cool to get that back by adding way more options than just a few stock engines

On 5/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, FlightSergeantMatt said:

So, what if you made the the fan part require a torque resource to generate thrust, compressor require torque to convert intake air to compressed air, combustion chamber requires compressed air and fuel to generate exhaust gas, turbine/nozzle requires exhaust gas and generates torque and thrust. Depending on the type of turbine, you can either get highish ISP and thrust, and low thrust drop off at speed but little torque, or high torque, but lower thrust and ISP. Fans would have the highest ISP, and thus the most thrust/fuel consumed, but also have the most drop off in thrust at speed. Different types of fans could have different bypass ratios, thus also giving you a choice between huge efficient fan, or compact less efficient fan. You could even make props as fans, or prop-fans. 

You would need a plugin of some sort to make sure that the engines has to be assembled in a sensible manner, but at least you can't just spam one type of part and ignore the others.

6 hours ago, ProPilotBiasYT said:

Great mod love the Idea. I just wish I could use it dang it!!! I am using ksp Version 1.1.3.1289 and I am on a mac so no root folder but I don't' have sound on the mod and on the stock jet engines. I am also missing most of the parts of the mod. And when I take the mod out of game data the stock jet engines make their sound again. I am using the game data folder in the folder labelled KSP_osx were you can find the launcher and KSP itself. I have 4 other versions of KPS would I need to put those on like a usb stick so that they aren’t on the computer? Please, someone, help me I want this mod so bad.

The root folder should be whereever the GameData folder is located, if I failed to put GameData in the zip, put AirplanePlus, Firespitter, and the dll of module manager on GameData. Otherwise, put the GameData on same place as your existing GameData, not inside it.

4 hours ago, FlightSergeantMatt said:

To me the fun of KSP was the experimentation when you first started. I just thought it would be cool to get that back by adding way more options than just a few stock engines

I'm just saying that people could do that, so in order to foolproof it, you need a working system to avoid such cases. I've done my best to implement things on my mods to avoid misuse, thinking what people might do and what to do to prevent it so that it doesn't look wrong, not that I did it perfectly though. A lot of things aren't just straightforward and this makes developing mods a little bit more challenging. :) 

6 hours ago, neistridlar said:

So, what if you made the the fan part require a torque resource to generate thrust, compressor require torque to convert intake air to compressed air, combustion chamber requires compressed air and fuel to generate exhaust gas, turbine/nozzle requires exhaust gas and generates torque and thrust. Depending on the type of turbine, you can either get highish ISP and thrust, and low thrust drop off at speed but little torque, or high torque, but lower thrust and ISP. Fans would have the highest ISP, and thus the most thrust/fuel consumed, but also have the most drop off in thrust at speed. Different types of fans could have different bypass ratios, thus also giving you a choice between huge efficient fan, or compact less efficient fan. You could even make props as fans, or prop-fans. 

You would need a plugin of some sort to make sure that the engines has to be assembled in a sensible manner, but at least you can't just spam one type of part and ignore the others.

Yeah I think this is true. I love the idea, I just have no idea how, mods, games or game physics work haaaa

4 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

The root folder should be whereever the GameData folder is located, if I failed to put GameData in the zip, put AirplanePlus, Firespitter, and the dll of module manager on GameData. Otherwise, put the GameData on same place as your existing GameData, not inside it.

I'm just saying that people could do that, so in order to foolproof it, you need a working system to avoid such cases. I've done my best to implement things on my mods to avoid misuse, thinking what people might do and what to do to prevent it so that it doesn't look wrong, not that I did it perfectly though. A lot of things aren't just straightforward and this makes developing mods a little bit more challenging. :) 

Yeah! I wish I knew how to do this kinda stuff! This is why I’m looking for someone who thinks it’s a good idea and does now haaa

This can be deleted if need be! But with the mod Principia installed, helicopters will not leave the ground. Working on figuring out why presently!

Edited by N9vaivie
Troubleshooted the problem!

On 5/7/2019 at 10:00 AM, N9vaivie said:

This can be deleted if need be! But with the mod Principia installed, helicopters will not leave the ground. Working on figuring out why presently!

Usually problems related with firespitter are mods not recognizing the module that firespitter uses, so it's kind of a problem with the other mod not recognizing the new modules but I don't know, FS is pretty old at this point. Tried asking on principia yet?

12 hours ago, jupa771 said:

Could u send me the download link for the 1.3 ksp?

The download links are in the OP. Either mirrors have archived older versions.

11 minutes ago, jupa771 said:

What is OP?

Hello jupa771 and welcome to the KSP Forum!

If you are using a laptop/desktop to browse the forum, you can hover the mouse over terms which are underlined such as 'OP' in the quote above.  This will show a popup with a brief description of the term.  A handy forum feature.

In this case, OP means 'Original Post'.  The download links are in the first post of this thread.  Additionally, you will find a description of this mod, the license under which it has been released, and other information.

Happy landings!

On 5/13/2019 at 10:34 PM, jupa771 said:

What is OP?

On 5/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, Starhawk said:

Hello jupa771 and welcome to the KSP Forum!

If you are using a laptop/desktop to browse the forum, you can hover the mouse over terms which are underlined such as 'OP' in the quote above.  This will show a popup with a brief description of the term.  A handy forum feature.

In this case, OP means 'Original Post'.  The download links are in the first post of this thread.  Additionally, you will find a description of this mod, the license under which it has been released, and other information.

Happy landings!

"OP"also brings another meaning. In the case of, let's say, parts, it stands for "Over-powered", which means it's too powerful for its purpose. This applies on every single game, from weaponry to vehicle parts & stuff. Take an example:

"The Goliath engine has 360kN Max thruat. It's really OP"

Or an example involving a part with high impact tolerance (Hence we'll go back in time) :

"Back in v0.21, the radial intake is such an OP part that it can be used as a plane float."

Yes, every single word underlined with dotted lines has a meaning if you hover your pointer (Or hover your S Pen in case you use a Samsung Note / Tab, literally any Samsung phone / tablet with an S Pen. Still, you can see the pointer if you hover the nib / tip close enough) over the underlined word.