[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

@Tanner Rawlings, @blackheart612

The engines look great, but I can break 270 m/s with the Spud. Therefore, I take some issue with your config.

RmCjdSL.png

Also, up to 25km altitude at mach 3? I assume this isn't intended behavior.

kJZoOc5.png

EDIT: I've also just discovered that the Baron engine will kill you with insane acceleration if you dive from high altitude, because it gets up to 0.7Ma, which gives you ridiculous power due to the Over 9000 joke in the cfg.

Edited by theonegalen

German engines are really buoyant and strong. Literally not one scratch on my new Bf-109 G-6!

(This was also a test for realistic looking cockpits using B9-Pwings. It's a good thing we can add colour to them :))5926AD09C6C2937BC2350D8B21F95372D2F6FFD8 (1280×1024)Edit: Ignore the Aero Forces Overlay thing, I don't know why its there. I really have to rebind that button :rolleyes:

Edited by Murican_Jeb

@CobaltWolf Time zones, might it be? :P 

@theonegalen ...yep, that is indeed not intended (specially the spud). I might just release a hot fix as soon as I can (instead of re-uploading the whole file). Sorry for the inconvenience. While testing the Baron, I could barely takeoff and there you are @ Mach 0.7

@Murican_Jeb Just like in real life! Wait, no? I actually don't know at which part of the default config affects bouyancy. We'll surely reduce engine durabilities next patch. Thanks for that.

Edit:
R4.0_Hotfix
For those who have problems with the new early engines. (Used same atmCurve as Baron for Spud for now for a quick patch)

Edit Edit:

My imgur album seems to be broken, I have no idea how to repost it, the button is gone. Anybody know? Or is it just me?

Edited by blackheart612

5 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

@CobaltWolf Time zones, might it be? :P 

@theonegalen ...yep, that is indeed not intended (specially the spud). I might just release a hot fix as soon as I can (instead of re-uploading the whole file). Sorry for the inconvenience. While testing the Baron, I could barely takeoff and there you are @ Mach 0.7

@Murican_Jeb Just like in real life! Wait, no? I actually don't know at which part of the default config affects bouyancy. We'll surely reduce engine durabilities next patch. Thanks for that.

Haha. I was able to get to 8km altitude with the Baron, 1 m/s at a time, then the dive...

The spitfiremerlin and 109prop engines have "ignore for ISP = true" flagged for IntakeAir while the other ones do not, which means those two props burn through fuel about fifteen times faster than the rest.

All the rest of the engines are very close to real-life data now, which is great. There are a few discrepancies, but it's all pretty close. Some of the engines that are supposed to be better, however, are slower than the ones which are supposed to be worse. For example, in the same airframe, the Kraken and the Marlin are slower than the Tornado and the Silver Crow.

I made a Yak-9 with the new engine. I love it! :)

I also love my new cockpit building skills :D  Russian Bias...

Edit: I just noticed in the screenshot that the arrow for the throttle is gone :0.0:53DBD4A0FFFB83847D5299D02EBAFCDAE83A6EC9 (1280×1024)

Edited by Murican_Jeb

@blackheart612, tried your hotfix. There was an error in the Spud config that prevented your changes from taking effect.

The hotfix version:

atmosphereCurve
	{
		key = 0 2500 0 0
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurveIsp = False
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurveIsp = False
		useAtmCurve = True
	}

Corrected version:

atmosphereCurve
	{
		key = 0 2500 0 0
	}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurveIsp = False
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurveIsp = False
		useAtmCurve = True

EDIT: Suggested atmCurve for Spud and Baron engines, otherwise you can fly insanely high (this puts the ceiling around 6000m, depending on your design)

atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.2 0
		key = 0.45 0.6
		key = 0.525 1.025
		key = 0.9 0.9
		key = 1 0.5
	}

Suggested velCurve for the Kraken - despite supposedly being amazing, it suffers in comparison with almost all other V-12 props. Based on the Rolls Royce Griffon from the Spitfire XIV.

velCurve
	{
		key = .7 0
		key = .6 .1
		key = .5 .5
		key = .4 .6
		key = .3 .7
		key = .2 .8
		key = .1 .9
		key = .05 1
		key = .01 1
	}

Finally, it seems the Cyclone actually does better with my test craft when it's maxThrust is set to 20.

Edited by theonegalen

Hey, an update to my MM techtree cfg (this assumes you are using my suggested changes from the above post). This also corrects the mass values of the engines to more accurate ones, which allows for more accurate looking crafts.

//AirplanePlus mod by blackheart612
//theonegalen techtree config

//Props

//---9J "Baron" Rotary Engine and  8A "Spud" Engine
@PART[fokkerprop|spadprop]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@TechRequired = propEngines
	@mass = 0.20
}

//---KB 601 "Tornado" Engine
@PART[109Prop]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@TechRequired = impPropEngines
}

//---K-14 "Divine Wind" Radial Engine
@PART[zeroprop]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@TechRequired = advPropEngines
	@mass = 0.58
}

//---Klimov VK-105PF-2 (Yakovlev Yak-3)
@PART[yakprop]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@mass = 0.58
}

//---RR Marlin Engine
@PART[merlin]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
}

//---K-25V "Cyclone" Radial Engine
@PART[chaikaprop]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@mass = 0.56
	@cost = 1100
	@entryCost = 2200
}

//---K1710 "Whirlwind" Engine
@PART[fighterProp]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@cost = 1800
	@entryCost = 3600

}

//---RR "Kraken" Engine and K-2800 "Bumblebee" Radial Engine
@PART[spitfiremerlin|corsairprop]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@TechRequired = finalPropEngines
}

@PART[spitfiremerlin]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@cost = 1700
	@entryCost = 4400

}

//---Structure and Fuel
@PART[JuniorFuselage|shortboom|shortboomb]:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	@TechRequired = stability
}

//Modifications to techtree for AirplanePlus

@TechTree:NEEDS[AirplanePlus]
{
	RDNode
	{
		id = propEngines
		nodeName = tog_propEngines
		title = Basic Propeller Engines
		description = We're starting to get the hang of this "internal combustion" thing. We've harnessed the "tiny explosions principle" to great effect!
		cost = 3
		pos = -2250,1102.3,-1
		icon = RDicon_propulsion-nuclear
		anyToUnlock = False
		hideEmpty = True
		hideIfNoBranchParts = False
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = engineering101
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}
	RDNode
	{
		id = impPropEngines
		nodeName = tog_impPropEngines
		title = Improved Propeller Engines
		description = More explosions, more power, more speed!
		cost = 6
		pos = -2170,1102.3,-1
		anyToUnlock = False
		hideEmpty = True
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = propEngines
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}
	RDNode
	{
		id = advPropEngines
		nodeName = tog_advPropEngines
		title = Advanced Propeller Engines
		description = Our most powerful combustion engines yet!
		cost = 9
		pos = -2090,1102.3,-1
		anyToUnlock = False
		hideEmpty = True
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = impPropEngines
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}	
	}
	RDNode
	{
		id = finalPropEngines
		nodeName = tog_finalPropEngines
		title = Mature Propeller Engines
		description = A final upgrade to our internal combustion/fan engines! And a brand new invention: the Turbojet! Some of the guys in R&D are starting to wonder what happens if we put fans on the jets now, though...
		cost = 12
		pos = -2016,1102.3,-1
		anyToUnlock = False
		hideEmpty = True
		scale = 0.6
		Parent
		{
			parentID = advPropEngines
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}
}

Edited by theonegalen

Ok I found out the 200 m/s: somewhere around 400mph (because I use FAR :)) In the real world this is about as fast as a P-51 Mustang can go.

So i'm going to point out a with my mustang. Here is a pic

7CCD26A12121DF1844B060328D50B9BFA3CF6B61 (1280×1024)

Now to the problem:

The Marlin flamesout at around 230 m/s (somewhere around 420 mph) This is a problem because, like i said, this is about as fast as a mustang can go. This is also a problem because my P-51 depends on speed. Please note that I use FAR, so it's really hard to make a plane that has good maneuverability. Maybe somebody can give me tips on how to make a maneuverable plane?

4 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

Maybe somebody can give me tips on how to make a maneuverable plane?

I love FAR so much. I'm about to hit the hay, but DM me, and I'll share some plane design tips that I've picked up over the years.

ayj3uUl.jpg

UrO1njp.jpg

3 minutes ago, kiwinanday said:

I love FAR so much. I'm about to hit the hay, but DM me, and I'll share some plane design tips that I've picked up over the years.

-snip-

-snip-

Not sure if I should be happy that you use the parts beautifully or be sad that I am very aesthetically challenged compared to those. ;.;

Be happy that, like GLaDOS, I like testing and taking measurements. 

I'm over the mun that the Whirlwind was barely changed in the update; it's definitely the most well-rounded engine of the pack.

Edited by kiwinanday

18 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

@Murican_Jeb Make the CoL very close to the CoM? But still making sure that CoL is a little bit on the back of CoM. Issue listed. We'll be looking on it.

Well, putting the CoL close to the CoM doesn't make it maneuverable. So I might need more info.

On August 2, 2016 at 2:07 AM, theonegalen said:

@blackheart612, tried your hotfix. There was an error in the Spud config that prevented your changes from taking effect.

The hotfix version

-snip-

Corrected version

-snip-

EDIT: Suggested atmCurve for Spud and Baron engines, otherwise you can fly insanely high (this puts the ceiling around 6000m, depending on your design

-snip-

Suggested velCurve for the Kraken - despite supposedly being amazing, it suffers in comparison with almost all other V-12 props. Based on the Rolls Royce Griffon from the Spitfire XIV.

-snip-

Finally, it seems the Cyclone actually does better with my test craft when it's maxThrust is set to 20.

There is a red mark on my face from my palm hitting it at about Mach .7

Edited by Tanner Rawlings

2 hours ago, Bart888 said:

Does anyone have a problem with sound of engine? I hear it only on right speaker... Does someone know how to fix it? I have latest firespitter...

From what I know it is and issue with firespitter and sadly I do not know of any fixes

I just got a request from my design colleague:

Can we get a 0.625 prop, or at least Tweakscale compatibility with some of these? It's a turboprop, but I know the Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 (as found on the King Air, Dash 7, Pilatus PC-12, and Piaggio Avanti, to name a few) is just under .5m in diameter

My right ear thoroughly enjoys the engine sounds in this mod, which is to say that only my right ear can enjoy the sounds. For some reason or another, the sound only plays in my right earphone. This only happens with the engines in your pack; all stock parts and sounds work correctly. I DL'd the Firespitter plugin from Snjo's website, and used it instead of the one included in your download. Perhaps that's the issue?

Other than that, I love this mod. Though, making a ww1-esque aircraft has proven challenging; the old engines are quite weak. This is more likely to be an issue in my design skills than the engines themselves, so keep up the good work!

EDIT: I'm a knob. Just read the note in the OP about sound issues. Disregard.

Edited by MedicRules41

@MedicRules41 I already thought of that. Still thinking if we should bump it up a liiittle bit more or not. I mean, it's not like we have canvas wings or anything, right? Though WWI planes were really prone to stalling too so maneuvers couldn't be executed at anytime. The angle at which your plane is facing should be very low too since engines are too weak. Much like it is right now.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:54 AM, blackheart612 said:

I mean, it's not like we have canvas wings or anything, right?

What are you talking about? It's right here!

8F7F04E479EA7E2E4BC2222993B7D23F57A07BB6 (1280×1024)