[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

@[INDO]dimas_1502 I'm not sure how I could mirror a specific part of the model, or especially mirror the FS module of EngineBladed but I'll see if it's possible.

@neistridlar @Bottle Rocketeer 500 Interesting, I thought it was the CoM at first. Turns out it is that thing. I'll get into it once I release the next patch for Grounded. Once that's done, I'm back to developing here, then it will be a juggle.

@blackheart612 Maybe you were right about the offset COM. The Emu Liner craft still does veer off to the side in timewarp, after I patched it with the following MM patch:

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay],[@manufacturer[Kerbal Standard]
{
	%closedPosistion = 0
}
@PART[airramp]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCargoBay
		DeployModuleIndex = 0
		closedPosition = 0
		lookupRadius = 1.5

nodeOuterForeID = top
		nodeOuterAftID = bottom
		nodeInnerForeID = top2
		nodeInnerAftID = bottom2
	}
}

Maybe I did something wrong in the patch, actually.

1 hour ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@blackheart612 Maybe you were right about the offset COM. The Emu Liner craft still does veer off to the side in timewarp, after I patched it with the following MM patch:

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay],[@manufacturer[Kerbal Standard]
{
	%closedPosistion = 0
}
@PART[airramp]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCargoBay
		DeployModuleIndex = 0
		closedPosition = 0
		lookupRadius = 1.5

nodeOuterForeID = top
		nodeOuterAftID = bottom
		nodeInnerForeID = top2
		nodeInnerAftID = bottom2
	}
}

Maybe I did something wrong in the patch, actually.

I actually already tested parts and fixed small offsets in CoM that I saw, still no luck as to why it veers off here. Still a big mystery. I was hoping it was this aerodynamic problem.

8 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@neistridlar Where did you get the readouts in the part action window?

Press [alt] + [F12], then go to Physics -> Aero, and check the "Display Aero Data in Action Menus". Really useful for understanding the aerodynamics of KSP. I'm also using the "Display Aero Data GUI" in the screen shots (the black window).

@blackheart612 Actually, maybe you just need to override the drag cubes, such as done with the stock Mk2 cargo bays, the configs of which look like this: 

DRAG_CUBE
	{
		cube = A, 2.811507,0.4203178,1.323529, 2.811507,0.4207772,1.323529, 2.494907,0.962501,0.154902, 2.494907,0.9625011,0.154902, 4.694843,0.9348387,1.386667, 4.694939,0.9358073,1.54, 0,0.0001237392,0, 2.5,1.875248,1.5
		cube = B, 3.507514,0.5657873,2.022242, 3.522568,0.5698409,2.088006, 2.494907,0.962501,0.154902, 2.494907,0.9625011,0.154902, 7.503718,0.8164085,1.929913, 7.503718,0.8079262,2.098116, 8.34465E-07,0.0001237392,-0.2787331, 3.992453,1.875248,2.057467
	}

First, get the automatically generated one for this part, and a part without the animation ( a cylinder of the same dimensions in this case.) and compare the drag cube values. Edit those that don't match and change them to the cylinder's. Refer to @NathanKell's post (the second one) in the following thread for more information:

Not sure how you feel about part requests, but I was wondering if we could get some sort of support piece to make biplanes/triplanes easier.  I see you use struts and I’m assuming the move tool to make your current biplane.

Also, are there any plans to do an X-15/B52? Or any other of the experimental x-planes?

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 Thanks, I'll look into it once I'm free.

@Spike88 That's indeed how I made them. I'll see what I can do about it, I'm not yet sure how to implement something like that while being modular. X-15 has actually been requested by CobaltWolf to me... It's most likely going to be there in the future.

I have checked the drag behavior of most of the parts in this mod now. It seems all of the hollow parts, except the Mk1 cargo bay and Size 2 cargo ramp, fail to "shield" parts in front of or behind, making for a very draggy aircraft, even though the part it self does not have much drag. I think the Size 2 cargo ramp has the desired behavior, not fully shielding parts when it is open, only when it is closed.

Also I found that the size 2 Liquid fuel fuselage is free, you only pay for the fuel.

@neistridlar We're generous like that :P I'll change the pricing accordingly. Anyway, it sounds to me like hollow parts require cargo bay module or else it doesn't shield the inside part?

@Hellbrand Check out the Sparrow VTOL craft regarding how to properly place the AirRamp as short as possible without obstruction. The collider is actually free from obstruction and kerbals could actually spawn in there. No idea why it doesn't work for the game. I may or may not add length to it but I'm worried it will break existing crafts.

@Bill Kerman Brother Here:

Download the Mod
Open the .zip file - should contain the folder "GameData"

Go to KSP directory - you should see the GameData folder here along with other folders but notably, these folders are with the KSP.exe which you use to launch the game. So the easiest way is to find the file location of the exe or use steam to go to the local files.

Back to the .zip file, drag the GameData folder to the KSP directory as referenced above. If it confronts for an overwrite, opt for yes.
It's high suggested that you remove old folders of AirplanePlus before installing a new one.

That is all.
Once installed, if you open the GameData folder from the KSP directory, you will see AirplanePlus and Firespitter folders along with Squad and a module manager dll file. And when you have other mods, some other folders should be there too.

8 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

We're generous like that :P I'll change the pricing accordingly. Anyway, it sounds to me like hollow parts require cargo bay module or else it doesn't shield the inside part?

I have not tested parts inside the parts, I am talking about the part attached in front of and behind. Shielding might be the wrong word to use, however in lack of a better word I will continue to use that. I have made a picture here to better illustrate the issue. There is a lot of numbers here. The one that I want you to pay attention to is Drag. See how the most forward crew cabin has a drag of 0.90, but the next one has a Drag of 4.15? Those two should have the same drag, because both parts have a part of the same diameter attached in front of and behind it. However because there is a Structural Fuselage Junior behind it, the game applies the drag as if there was nothing behind it (On closer inspection, the drag is somewhat reduced, see the second picture). The same is true for the Crew Cabin trailing the Structural Fuselage Junior.

I included the stock Structural Fuselage in the same configuration to illustrate the proper behavior. See how the drag from the Crew Cabins in front of and behind it is approximately the same as the forward most crew cabin. I think the discrepancy here is due to flexing of the craft, so that the AoA of the parts are slightly different, however I am not entirely sure this is the reason. Anyway, this is the issue that I have tested for all of the hollow parts. Whether they shield parts inside them I have not tested yet, but I can do so if you would like me to.

Here is the craft file for anyone that wants to test this for them selves: https://kerbalx.com/neistridlar/DragTest

8iyUOom.png

This image shows the drag from a part that is completely unshielded as well. Notice how it is higher than those adjacent to the Structural Fuselage Junior.

ocubsnz.png

Edited by neistridlar
Further investigation revealed I was only partially right.

@blackheart612 Recently, I found that the meshes for the mk1 and size 2 air ramps are the same, and that the mk1 air ramp does not result in the craft veering off to the side. Then, I tried scaling it's drag cube by 2 and pasting it into the size 2 air stairs' config file. Still, the Emu liner with the part replaced, to add the changes, veered of to the side. I am starting to think that it is not the air stair part that is resulting in that, because that only happens in the front of the plane. Is there a chance that it is the cockpit resulting in that? I will try a vessel without that cockpit, but with the airstairs and check which part actually is causing that.

Edited by Bottle Rocketeer 500

I can't respond to each and every post right now, but thanks for all the comments about issues, I'll be referencing your posts once I get into fixing things. For now, a 1.4 update is debatable and broke complicated things that needs my attention (as well as real life).

On 9/14/2017 at 8:48 PM, blackheart612 said:

@Bitrefresh There's no other way, other than lowering your weight. How heavy is your helicopter? The Hawk Turboshaft Engine can carry up to ~8.4t without powerloss during hover. I made one with the same engine before, though admittedly, I don't remember the right version so this may be different, but always remember that Kerbin is small and helicopters don't carry that much fuel nor travel very long distances...

Thanks for the reply, apologies for the late reply. my replica was around 12.5 to 15 tonnes. I got by on the quad rotor and just decided to make an AH-1Z replica, although I was NOT happy. I am disappointed there is no way to edit the configs to increase lifting capacity. thanks anyways o7.

Edited by Bitrefresh

Just for everybody here:

Tried Airplane Plus R21 on KSP 1.4.1 and it works well enough to get the propellers spinning! It lives......I think. :wink:

In case anybody is interested, I'm running the MacOSX version of the latest KSP, MM 3.06, Airplane plus (latest with included Firespitter plugin).

Edited by GDJ

Release 21.1

Nothing major, I decided to update to 1.4.x in the end. There you go, just fixed the porting issues for now, all is well. A proper patch will be developed soon.

@Bitrefresh There actually is, just not the regular way of doing it

@JANXOL The old ones work except for the Mk1 Non-commercial cockpit. They are all very dated compared to the current IVA configs though.

@GDJ Well, the gears didn't work properly so there you go :P 

Enjoy!

Edit: I will get to look at the discussed problems soon, for now, it's just a port.

Edited by blackheart612

I noticed the Tiger Engine's afterburner exhaust don't really increase the temperature of parts they strike, and IR missiles from BDArmory don't pick up afterburning Tigers as well as the other afterburning engines, could you perhaps increase the exhaust particle temperature a little, mostly just for BDArmory, really.

Edited by goduranus

On 3/17/2018 at 4:28 AM, JANXOL said:

Where can I find up-to date RPM configs? Do the ones from january 2017 still work?

there's one RPM config for some cockpits, like this
not for all cockpits, also need firespitter and ASET

Edited by [INDO]dimas_1502