[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

17 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

@ZentroCatson The problem with razorback is it follows through the entire fuselage. There might be a way to implement something but that might be an entirely new aircraft mod. Best to include parts that could mimic modern jets as well but it's only on my dreams. At least for now.

Well, my idea is that we could have three parts: A razorback adapter, a razorback extender and a razorback end that could function as a tail mount. I also tried out the prop engines, they are a little unbalanced, but still fun to use :wink: I recommend that you change the ISP to a higher value, like 5'000 on the Marlin and 8'000 on the small one (forgot its name). I don't know if that's supposed to be there or not, but the Marlin starts off with a really high thrust value (about 150kn) and drops off slowly to 50kn. Isn't it supposed to be the other way round? 

EDIT:

Wait, I forgot something. The half length fuselage holds only 50 units, but it is only logical for it to hold 200 units.

Edited by ZentroCatson
Fuselage!

I remember I could not get over that. I'm not quite sure since I haven't meddled with the config recently. I made the engine thrust really low at ground level but the launching seems to make it have a little boost. I'll figure that out soon (hopefully). I'm still working on a model.

And regarding the razorback, that is precisely what I have in mind but the extra parts such as extenders and the mount at the end, I am not quite sure, it seems like mostly clutter to me for a minor detail. This is why if ever I made those, I would probably put them here but just an optional pack.

11 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@StevieC I might actually invest time in one. Somebody in IRC wanted to see the TU-95 engine which is contraprops. I am certainly interested to see them as well and find out how to implement in firespitter. Still, it might all bottleneck in config making.

Hi, i have a contra rotating turbo prop in my collection, the props initially used the firespitter module for prop rotation with a cfg as below. basically uses two modules and runs one reverse.

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = FSplanePropellerSpinner
        propellerName = kn12nose1    
        rotationSpeed = -300
        //windmillRPM = 0.01
        spinUpTime = 1.0 //15.0
        useRotorDiscSwap = 1
        rotorDiscFadeInStart = 0.55
        rotorDiscFadeInEnd = .95
        rotorDiscSpeed = 25
        rotorDiscName = knPropBlur1
        blade1 = propBlade0
        blade2 = propBlade1
        blade3 = propBlade2
        blade4 = propBlade3    
    }

MODULE
    {
        propellerName = kn12nose0    
        rotationSpeed = 300
        //windmillRPM = 0.01
        spinUpTime = 1.0 //15.0
        useRotorDiscSwap = 1
        rotorDiscFadeInEnd = .95
        rotorDiscSpeed = -25
        rotorDiscName = knPropBlur0
        blade1 = propBladeOpp0
        blade2 = propBladeOpp1
        blade3 = propBladeOpp2
        blade4 = propBladeOpp3    
    }

Now however i've switched over to the animate throttle as it's neater, has no dependencies and removes duplicate modules from the cfg

Spoiler

SidscBe.pngb6IUQY7.pngQEALZsw.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

@SpannerMonkey(smce) I did indeed use two modules as I prefer firespitter. I only use animate throttle for heat animations on rocket engines for now. In any case, I just copied the Marlin's module and reverse the other one and it worked like a charm.

@LordOfMinecraft99 I'm not sure about that, radial cockpit would probably have clipping and I have no idea what that might do. Probably none but still, the length of the razorback is then limited to the design of the cockpit.

Too late, I already made one :P Also, that's a different model of NK-12 than what I made. It has two small intake on the topside. I'm also not sure if that NK-12 has custom sounds but I already made one for mine as well, same with those in the pack.

28 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

Too late, I already made one :P Also, that's a different model of NK-12 than what I made. It has two small intake on the topside. I'm also not sure if that NK-12 has custom sounds but I already made one for mine as well, same with those in the pack.

Sounds lovely!:D The upper radial intakes apear on the earlier two types, the M(12,000 ehp) and MV(14,795 ehp). The newer (and most powerful) ones, the MA type(15,000 ehp), don't have these by the looks of it.:)

Edited by Artfact

Yes. Low tech/power stuff would be awesome. Older 9-cylinder radial props (Bristol: Swordfish, Shvetsov: I16) from the beginning of the war or something like the first V12: BWM-VI.:)

13 hours ago, ZentroCatson said:

Nice pack! I'm a sucker for prop engines and WW2 era planes, so thanks for making these! Now I finally can recreate the P-38, my favorite WW2 era plane. Can I suggest some parts for this pack? 

Firstly, a Razorback cockpit addition that would turn the mk1 inline cockpit from a bubble top canopy into a razorback like this:

VK1Nphy.jpg?1

Secondly, a 1.25m air intake similar to the one on the MiG-21 Fishbed.

That's all I really need for now, keep going with this beautiful work :D

Yeah! That would be awesome! Also, a Mk-1 Inline Cockpit with a full bubble canopy, a la P-51D

@Artfact Exactly. But that doesn't mean I know how to make the config as good as its stats in real life. (Laughs reluctantly)

@halowraith1 Juno Basic Engine kinda resembles teh Junkers Jumo don't you think?

@Tortoise I posted on KAX way back then, in desperate need of powerful props. Keptin answered that he won't be making any more powerful props than what he has. I think he said he'll leave it to other mods because he prefers modern ones I think. I forgot the verbatim, really. In conclusion, I made it myself. Maybe a little bit too powerful but I made them nevertheless. :P 

Welp, I tried. It was a simple model and has low polys in it...

S1ARP8h.png

Here's the backside. I like how it fits in the structural fuselage.

Spoiler

gJ3TG2e.png

q1PAFaK.png

I wanted to make the back extend that long because I thought maybe it would balance things, that it has a huge propeller and with that elongated back. I mean, mostly it was because it looked cool.

I quickly tested it on the mallard and replaced the engines. Sadly, my potato laptop couldn't have a higher than 10 fps with fraps :( So I couldn't demo the sound as well. Here are 2 pics of the mallard with the KP-12:

Spoiler

HM3XzY3.png

7NgvpdO.png

Edited by blackheart612
punctuation

If I may offer my constructive criticism, I've just been tinkering with these very fine looking engines, comparing them on a testbed aircraft against the KAX prop engines. If requested, I would be happy to provide the .craft files for what I have dubbed the KIT-01 (Kerbinian Imperial Trainer, Model The First). It's a very simple aircraft overall, rather similar to your own Mustang recreation, the most notable differences being that it is an all-stock aircraft (aside from the engines, obviously), that I used a supersonic airscoop intake (forgive me, I forget the exact name. It is a fuselage part rather than an external accessory) mounted just forward of the cockpit, and that my aircraft was a swept-wing biplane rather than a monoplane as was your Mustang replica. I would be happy to offer a more detailed account of my trials if there is interest; truthfully, I didn't intend to post such an account now as I didn't expect such a dramatic result, but as a dramatic result is what I got, I felt that something must be said.

On the positive side, I was very pleased with the appearance of your engines, both of which I felt fit in very well indeed with the stock parts while maintaining a strong connection to their historic counterparts. I also found the sounds to be very nicely done; I admit, I cannot attest to the "sound only on the right side" issue that a lot of people have reported with both this mod and KAX, but the sounds I did get felt very authentic, having that deep growl that one would expect from a WWII-era prop engine. So aesthetically, I do give these engines top marks. The weight of the engines also seemed fairly good; the landing gear on my KIT-01 is regrettable close to the center of mass, an unrectifiable flaw as they are mounted in the lower wing, which is itself mounted to the cockpit, behind the air intake and engine, the result being that your heavier engines caused a brief moment of tense balancing on the runway, though not enough to overbalance the plane as it did eventually settle back onto its tail wheel as it should have done.

However, and I cannot stress enough that I do not mean these criticisms in any sort of a hateful or negative way; I am offering them as a suggestion of how you might improve this already very good mod, which you may take, modify, or leave as you will, I did notice some potentially serious issues. The biggest issue I see with these engines is one that I have seen before in other propeller engine mods, including earlier iterations of Firespitter and in SXT. Put simply, and once more I beg you not take my frankness amiss, your engines as they stand now are STUPIDLY overpowered. Reading their stats in the SPH, I saw that the smaller K1710 "Whirlwind" has a stationary thrust of roughly 44, putting in somewhere between the KAX AeroSport at just 25 and the KAX Radial at 52. Naturally, since the AeroSport was barely enough to get my plane off the ground, I expected a moderate improvement in performance, close to but perhaps not quite to the level of the Radial. What I was not expecting was for me to start the engine at full throttle, as is my custom on takeoff, and have my plane shoot off like a rocket. While the Aerosport was enough to get it up to ~70m/s and the Radial would pull it to a respectable ~97m/s, the Whirlwind had my biplane shooting up to over 200m/s, which had the side effect of making this normally quite well-behaved aircraft become a real handful to handle, especially when trying to land, which required two attempts as I was simply going too fast and nearly ended up in the sea. The RR "Marlin" was even worse, wildly outperforming the KAX Turboprop. I confess I did not note the top speed my plane achieved with the Marlin, nor did I attempt a landing.

I think I've traced the problem to the different thrust stats on your engines. While the stationary thrust may only be 44 and 70 for the Whirlwind and Marlin respectively, their maximum thrusts are almost double that, the result being that they reach their max thrust far too soon as compared to the KAX engines; while the KAX engines have my plane gently lumbering up the runway to eventually lift off gracefully, with your OP engines the plane shoots off like a rocket. The clue to me was looking at the KAX engine stats and seeing that their stationary thrust and maximum thrust were quite close, resulting in such steady performance. I think that perhaps a similar adjustment may be in order for your engines.

Mind you, I do not deny that I could be talking out of my ass here; I am not a mod maker nor a coder. Come to it, I am not even a particularly proficient KSP player. I am merely offering my observations and my suggestion based on such observations.

One other tweak I would suggest is to the price of these engines. 950 may be alright for the Marlin, it being the most powerful prop engine available (at least, for those only using your mod and KAX), even outperforming the KAX Turboprop. However, the smaller, weaker, and presumably more primitive Whirlwind should probably be quite a bit cheaper, again somewhere between the KAX AeroSport & Radial. That, again, is only my suggestion. It's your mod to do with as you wish.

1 hour ago, sirrliv said:

...the Whirlwind had my biplane shooting up to over 200m/s...

I loved this part. :D

Alright, anyway, I love the way you detailed the problems in this mod. Quite frankly, this will help a lot in balancing it. I'll take a look at KAX configs as I use them as well before (it just updated 1.1.2 late so I didn't install it) I also fly the marlin at 1/3 the throttle because it's always too powerful but balancing it is certainly in the to-do list and I'll be taking notes from what you just said there. I intend it to be as balanced as it can be but I am just absolutely trash at making a better configuration. I hope you guys could bear with the configs for now, once I get to nerf them, I'll release it as soon as I can.

Also, thank you for the very informative feedback :)

12 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

I hope you guys could bear with the configs for now, once I get to nerf them, I'll release it as soon as I can.

Apologies, I really wanted to look at the configs this past weekend but RL became a major impediment to my kerbal life :(.  If you don't get to them in the next few days I'll be doing some work on them as I've got a long weekend coming up.

I've just made some configs for these engines, based off of the KAX radial prop, which I also boosted to a static thrust of 60 to maintain it's power superiority, as it's the Double Wasp equivalent. I lowered the static thrust of the Marlin to match the old KAX radial number, 52, but gave it a superior "supercharger" to maintain the greatest power-to-weight ratio of all three engines at medium to high altitudes, although it falls to zero at the highest altitudes faster than the others due to their "turbosuperchargers" (I based this on P-47 vs P-38 and P-51 data).

The Marlin: 

PART
{ 

// --- general parameters ---
name = merlin
module = Part
author = blackheart612

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.0

// --- node definitions ---

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- FX definitions ---

//fx_exhaustLight_yellow = 0.0, -0.1, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, power
//fx_smokeTrail_light  = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, power
//fx_exhaustSparks_flameout = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, flameout

// --- Sound FX definition ---

//sound_fspropstart.wav = engage
//sound_fspropidle.wav = power
//sound_jet_deep = running
//sound_vent_soft = disengage
//sound_explosion_low = flameout

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = highAltitudeFlight
cost = 950
entryCost = 2200
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = RR Marlin Engine
manufacturer = Seen falling from the sky
description = Because jet engines are too mainstream. More advanced than the Whirlwind, with less weight and higher overall performance, except at the extreme service ceiling.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.69
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds
	engage = AirplanePlus/Sounds/mustang_startup
	//running =
	power = AirplanePlus/Sounds/mustang_idle
	disengage = AirplanePlus/Sounds/mustang_stop
	flameout = AirplanePlus/Sounds/mustang_stop
	//warning = 
	powerPitchBase = 1.0
	thrustAddedToPitch = 0.45
	powerFadeInSpeed = 0.0025
	powerFadeInDelay = 0.1
	powerLowerThreshold = 0.0
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
	warningSoundThreshold = 0.8
	warningCooldownTime = 2.0
	randomStartDelay = 1.0 //for playing engines slightly out of sync
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEngines
	thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
	exhaustDamage = False
	ignitionThreshold = 0.1s
	minThrust = 0
	maxThrust = 52
	heatProduction = 100
	useEngineResponseTime = True
	engineAccelerationSpeed = 2.5
	engineDecelerationSpeed = 5.0
	useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 1
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = IntakeAir
		resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW		
		ratio = 30
	}
	atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 5600 0 0
		}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
	velCurve
	velCurve
	{
		key = 0 0.6
		key = 0.25 1
		key = 0.7 0.1
		key = 1.2 0
	}
	atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.15 0
		key = 0.2 0.7
		key = 0.37 1
		key = 0.75 1.1
		key = 1 1.2
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAlternator	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 1.0
	}
}

//---- Integrated air intake (based on Kethane engine)

MODULE
{
  name = ModuleResourceIntake
  resourceName = IntakeAir
  checkForOxygen = false
  area = 0.03
  intakeSpeed = 50
  intakeTransformName = thrustTransform //Intake  
}

RESOURCE
{
    name = IntakeAir
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 15.0
}

//---- Deployable air scoop responding to the throttle

MODULE
{
	propellerName = nosecone
	rotationSpeed = 200
	windmillRPM = 0.1
	spinUpTime = 3.0
	useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	rotorDiscFadeInEnd = 0.95
	rotorDiscSpeed = 30
	rotorDiscName = disc
	blade1 = blade1
	blade2 = blade2
	blade3 = blade3
	blade4 = blade4
}

MODULE
{
	name = FSswitchEngineThrustTransform
	defaultTTName = thrustTransform
	}

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineHandCrank
}

// PART END
}

and the Whirlwind:

PART
{ 

name = fighterProp
module = Part
author = blackheart612

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.0

cost = 950
entryCost = 2200
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = K1710 "Whirlwind" Engine
description = It's a V12 engine with a big fan in it. Could potentially fly an aircraft if you're clever enough. It's turbosuperchargers increase weight and efficiency at high-altitude flight.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

mass = 0.6
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds
	engage = AirplanePlus/Sounds/V1710_startup
	//running =
	power = AirplanePlus/Sounds/V1710_idle
	disengage = AirplanePlus/Sounds/V1710_stop
	flameout = AirplanePlus/Sounds/V1710_stop
	//warning = 
	powerPitchBase = 1.0
	thrustAddedToPitch = 0.25
	powerFadeInDelay = 0.4
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEngines
	exhaustDamage = False
	ignitionThreshold = 0.1s
	minThrust = 0
	maxThrust = 44
	heatProduction = 100
	useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 1
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = IntakeAir
		ratio = 30
	}
	atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 5600 0 0
		}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
	velCurve
	{
		key = 0 0.6
		key = 0.25 1
		key = 0.7 0.1
		key = 1.2 0
	}
	atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.12 0
		key = 0.2 0.7
		key = 0.37 1
		key = 0.75 1
		key = 1 1.2
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAlternator	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 1.0
	}
}

MODULE
{
  resourceName = IntakeAir
  checkForOxygen = false
  area = 0.03
  intakeSpeed = 50
}

RESOURCE
{
    name = IntakeAir
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 15.0
}

MODULE
{
	propellerName = nosecone
	rotationSpeed = 200
	windmillRPM = 0.1
	spinUpTime = 3.0
	useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	rotorDiscSpeed = 30
	rotorDiscName = disc
	blade1 = blade1
	blade2 = blade2
	blade3 = blade3
}

MODULE
{
	alternateTTName = alternateThrustTransform
	useNamedAlternate = 0
}

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineHandCrank
}

// PART END
}

I tried to make sure all the numbers were similar to their real-world equivalents, especially with the atmospheric power curve. The velocity curves are identical to the KAX radial for now, just assuming that curve has a good approximation of the difficulties propellers have when approaching supersonic speeds. I also changed the flavor description text to reflect what I did with the atmospheric curve, and the kinds of super- and turbo-charging those WW2 engines used. I haven't touched anything like costs or the sound issue yet.

Edited by theonegalen

23 hours ago, rasta013 said:

Apologies, I really wanted to look at the configs this past weekend but RL became a major impediment to my kerbal life :(.  If you don't get to them in the next few days I'll be doing some work on them as I've got a long weekend coming up.

13 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I've just made some configs for these engines, based off of the KAX radial prop, which I also boosted to a static thrust of 60 to maintain it's power superiority, as it's the Double Wasp equivalent. I lowered the static thrust of the Marlin to match the old KAX radial number, 52, but gave it a superior "supercharger" to maintain the greatest power-to-weight ratio of all three engines at medium to high altitudes, although it falls to zero at the highest altitudes faster than the others due to their "turbosuperchargers" (I based this on P-47 vs P-38 and P-51 data).

The Marlin: 

PART
{ 

name = merlin
module = Part
author = blackheart612

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.0

cost = 950
entryCost = 2200
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = RR Marlin Engine
description = Because jet engines are too mainstream. More advanced than the Whirlwind, with less weight and higher overall performance, except at the extreme service ceiling.

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

mass = 0.69
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds
	//running =
	//warning = 
	powerPitchBase = 1.0
	powerFadeInDelay = 0.1
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEngines
	exhaustDamage = False
	ignitionThreshold = 0.1s
	minThrust = 0
	maxThrust = 52
	heatProduction = 100
	useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 1
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = IntakeAir
		ratio = 30
	}
	atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 5600 0 0
		}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
	velCurve
	velCurve
	{
		key = 0 0.6
		key = 0.25 1
		key = 0.7 0.1
		key = 1.2 0
	}
	atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.15 0
		key = 0.2 0.7
		key = 0.37 1
		key = 0.75 1.1
		key = 1 1.2
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAlternator	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 1.0
	}
}

MODULE
{
  resourceName = IntakeAir
  checkForOxygen = false
  area = 0.03
  intakeSpeed = 50
}

RESOURCE
{
    name = IntakeAir
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 15.0
}

MODULE
{
	propellerName = nosecone
	rotationSpeed = 200
	windmillRPM = 0.1
	spinUpTime = 3.0
	useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	rotorDiscSpeed = 30
	rotorDiscName = disc
	blade1 = blade1
	blade2 = blade2
	blade3 = blade3
	blade4 = blade4
}

MODULE
{
	}

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineHandCrank
}

// PART END
}

and the Whirlwind:

PART
{ 

name = fighterProp
module = Part
author = blackheart612

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.0

cost = 950
entryCost = 2200
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
description = It's a V12 engine with a big fan in it. Could potentially fly an aircraft if you're clever enough. It's turbosuperchargers increase weight and efficiency at high-altitude flight.

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

mass = 0.6
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds
	//running =
	//warning = 
	powerPitchBase = 1.0
	powerFadeInDelay = 0.4
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEngines
	exhaustDamage = False
	ignitionThreshold = 0.1s
	minThrust = 0
	maxThrust = 44
	heatProduction = 100
	useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 1
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = IntakeAir
		ratio = 30
	}
	atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 5600 0 0
		}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
	velCurve
	{
		key = 0 0.6
		key = 0.25 1
		key = 0.7 0.1
		key = 1.2 0
	}
	atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.12 0
		key = 0.2 0.7
		key = 0.37 1
		key = 0.75 1
		key = 1 1.2
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAlternator	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 1.0
	}
}

MODULE
{
  resourceName = IntakeAir
  checkForOxygen = false
  area = 0.03
  intakeSpeed = 50
}

RESOURCE
{
    name = IntakeAir
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 15.0
}

MODULE
{
	propellerName = nosecone
	rotationSpeed = 200
	windmillRPM = 0.1
	spinUpTime = 3.0
	useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	rotorDiscSpeed = 30
	rotorDiscName = disc
	blade1 = blade1
	blade2 = blade2
	blade3 = blade3
}

MODULE
{
	useNamedAlternate = 0
}

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineHandCrank
}

// PART END
}

I tried to make sure all the numbers were similar to their real-world equivalents, especially with the atmospheric power curve. The velocity curves are identical to the KAX radial for now, just assuming that curve has a good approximation of the difficulties propellers have when approaching supersonic speeds. I also changed the flavor description text to reflect what I did with the atmospheric curve, and the kinds of super- and turbo-charging those WW2 engines used. I haven't touched anything like costs or the sound issue yet.

Are these applications for a config maker? :P

I might use the configs once I get to test them, if that is fine with you?

I'm still deciding whether I'll make a powerful helicopter rotor or not. I imported a working one already, textured and modeled, but still, I'm thinking about it. Aside from that, I'm studying firespitter modules to improve the usage of the plugin. I'm still in doubt whether I'll release the NK-12 engine as well. That's about what I can say with my progress.

Edited by blackheart612

I wouldn't call it an application. I mostly just guessed at most of the numbers. But I am doing more testing, and I'll have updated configs for you shortly - for one thing, the IntakeAir PROPELLANT module needs to have ingnoreForIsp = true, or KER says the engines will fly for over a day on 100 LiquidFuel.

You're completely welcome to use them.

EDIT: Here are the test results! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xrJ620P0biSLHgooT8jvwvXQ9LQ8kr2x9mdZgZNdgfU

The Radial, Marlin, and Whirlwind testbeds were all identical except for the engines themselves, and the Juno testbed was set up from the same parts (plus NCS adapter and Small Nose Cone) configured in a low dual wing-mounted configuration like the Me 262.

Edited by theonegalen

Updated Configs!

If you look at the test data from my previous post, you can see that I was able to get them pretty close to real-life standards. The one engine I'm not happy with is the KAX Radial, which has some kind of odd thing going on with the drag that keeps it from matching the performance of the other two. I don't know why this is, and I really don't understand what most of the Firespitter modules do (so I didn't touch most of them). I based the configs off of data for the Rolls-Royce Merlin and Allison V-1710 models available at the end of World War 2, as well as performance data of the P-51D and P-38L.

Marlin:

PART
{ 

name = merlin
module = Part
author = blackheart612

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.0

cost = 950
entryCost = 2200
category = Engine
subcategory = 0
title = RR Marlin Engine

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

mass = 0.69
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds
	//running =
	//warning = 
	powerPitchBase = 1.0
	powerFadeInDelay = 0.1
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEngines
	exhaustDamage = False
	ignitionThreshold = 0.1s
	minThrust = 0
	maxThrust = 52
	heatProduction = 100
	useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 1
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = IntakeAir
		ignoreForIsp = True
		ratio = 14
	}
	atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 5600 0 0
		}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
	velCurve
	{
		key = 0 0.6
		key = 0.25 1
		key = 0.7 0.1
		key = 1.2 0
	}
	atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.14 0
		key = 0.2 0.7
		key = 0.37 1
		key = 0.75 1.1
		key = 1 1.2
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAlternator	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 1.0
	}
}

MODULE
{
  resourceName = IntakeAir
  checkForOxygen = false
  area = 0.03
  intakeSpeed = 50
}

RESOURCE
{
    name = IntakeAir
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 15.0
}

MODULE
{
	propellerName = nosecone
	rotationSpeed = 200
	windmillRPM = 0.1
	spinUpTime = 3.0
	useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	rotorDiscSpeed = 30
	rotorDiscName = disc
	blade1 = blade1
	blade2 = blade2
	blade3 = blade3
	blade4 = blade4
}

MODULE
{
	}

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineHandCrank
}

// PART END
}

Whirlwind:

PART
{ 

name = fighterProp
module = Part
author = blackheart612

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1.0

cost = 950
entryCost = 2200
category = Engine
subcategory = 0

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

mass = 0.6
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3600
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineSounds
	//running =
	//warning = 
	powerPitchBase = 1.0
	powerFadeInDelay = 0.4
	powerVolume = 1.0
	engageVolume = 1.0
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleEngines
	exhaustDamage = False
	ignitionThreshold = 0.1s
	minThrust = 0
	maxThrust = 44
	heatProduction = 100
	useVelocityCurve = True
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LiquidFuel
		ratio = 1
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = IntakeAir
		ignoreForIsp = True
		ratio = 14
	}
	atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 5600 0 0
		}
		atmChangeFlow = True
		useVelCurve = True
		useAtmCurve = True
	velCurve
	{
		key = 0 0.6
		key = 0.25 1
		key = 0.7 0.1
		key = 1.2 0
	}
	atmCurve
	{
		key = 0 0
		key = 0.11 0
		key = 0.2 0.7
		key = 0.37 1
		key = 0.75 1
		key = 1 1.2
	}
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAlternator	
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		rate = 1.0
	}
}

MODULE
{
  resourceName = IntakeAir
  checkForOxygen = false
  area = 0.03
  intakeSpeed = 50
}

RESOURCE
{
    name = IntakeAir
    amount = 0
    maxAmount = 15.0
}

MODULE
{
	propellerName = nosecone
	rotationSpeed = 200
	windmillRPM = 0.1
	spinUpTime = 3.0
	useRotorDiscSwap = 1
	rotorDiscSpeed = 30
	rotorDiscName = disc
	blade1 = blade1
	blade2 = blade2
	blade3 = blade3
}

MODULE
{
	useNamedAlternate = 0
}

MODULE
{
	name = FSengineHandCrank
}

// PART END
}

@theonegalenLooking very good to me.:) Perhaps the Marlin's a bit too powerful in comparison, but the speed curves look great on all!
You tested this with FAR?
Good that you didn't go for a dual mounted test bed for the Alison.

Yeah, the KAX radial had a problem with its props generating too much drag. I believe for a while all KAX engines had this problem.

Edited by Artfact