[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

This was my second mod ever, I love so many parts in it- clearly blackheart612 put a lot of time into it!  I can always tell which parts are his vs say legacy kax things included based on the extremely Kerbalesque descriptions :confused:

By far my favorite thing and IMO most powerful tool in the mod are the new FAT wing sections which blend seemlessly and new angled connectors, clearly a mod built by someone who loves building aircraft as much as I do and had the same frustrations with stock.

I've only found a few small bugs - but the most significant is with the F16 landing gear (name = sidegear) - it forces attachment in a backwards configuration, no matter how much you try and manually rotate, it reverts.  Also when spawning with this gear- craft has a tendency to kraken flip right on runway.

On the rotation, could I just disable matchRotation in the part file to fix it? Or would that do something else? - e.g.

Spoiler

{
        name = FXModuleConstrainPosition        // match rotation of the upper scissor link to the steered section
        matchRotation = true
        matchPosition = false
        CONSTRAINFX
        {
            targetName = steeringpivot
            moversName = steeringactuator
        }
    }

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:04 AM, panzerknack said:

This was my second mod ever, I love so many parts in it- clearly blackheart612 put a lot of time into it!  I can always tell which parts are his vs say legacy kax things included based on the extremely Kerbalesque descriptions :confused:

By far my favorite thing and IMO most powerful tool in the mod are the new FAT wing sections which blend seemlessly and new angled connectors, clearly a mod built by someone who loves building aircraft as much as I do and had the same frustrations with stock.

I've only found a few small bugs - but the most significant is with the F16 landing gear (name = sidegear) - it forces attachment in a backwards configuration, no matter how much you try and manually rotate, it reverts.  Also when spawning with this gear- craft has a tendency to kraken flip right on runway.

On the rotation, could I just disable matchRotation in the part file to fix it? Or would that do something else? - e.g.

Reveal hidden contents

{
        name = FXModuleConstrainPosition        // match rotation of the upper scissor link to the steered section
        matchRotation = true
        matchPosition = false
        CONSTRAINFX
        {
            targetName = steeringpivot
            moversName = steeringactuator
        }
    }

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

That matchRotation is a mechanic for animation and gear retracting, it has nothing to do with the entire part's attachment. Also, whatever flipping, or sinking, jumping of aircraft due to landing gear is not my fault but Squad's constant overhauling of the wheels and physics. I'm testing dev version of APP on 1.6 with old mods right now, and I can conclude (and mostly predict as I use only PRE) that any physics easing mod will fix it, such as World Stabilizer or from the Physics Range Extender.

Regarding "sidegear" forcing only one orientation, you may take it for granted but I've studied that technique for years (not really, months probably). It's a legendary Squad dev magic, I only imparted such knowledge with few people... because only few people ask. But it's used to mirror parts properly - let me elaborate: If you put parts mirrored in SPH w/o this special config, it will attach the same thing on the other side as if it was rotated 180 degrees. This means the "bottom" part will face opposite side on the bulkhead [ ^Ov ] the arrows represent the orientation of the "bottom" which could be wheels as an example. At least the config fixes this by locking the bottom down, and the front forward, only mirroring the sides, thus it always faces the same direction regardless of rotation.

About the 1.6 version, despite my constant lethargy and denial of the fact that I just can't make top notch quality content, I'm almost there :P Here, I'll show one picture.
ydqH0jB.png

5 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

This means the "bottom" part will face opposite side on the bulkhead [ ^Ov ] the arrows represent the orientation of the "bottom" which could be wheels as an example. At least the config fixes this by locking the bottom down, and the front forward, only mirroring the sides, thus it always faces the same direction regardless of rotation.

Thanks for the great feedback - I'm still trying to understand what you're saying here - are you saying this is a temporary solution to a bigger problem? It faces the same direction regardless of rotation, but the 'wrong' direction heh ; just so I'm sure im communicating it sufficiently - its an issue of chirality.

Initial attach cursor for sidegear, note direction backwards relative to cockpit (root part), chirality is left-handedUTmenLJ.jpg

After one press of q to rotate 90, chirality is now right-handed

sxr4lsL.jpg

After another press of q to rotate 180 in total, 

8rKg6uy.jpg

Correct right-handed chirality, but 180 degrees from intended position - pressing rotate twice again causes it to return to the first image.  I hope this makes sense - if you were saying before you're aware of all this, disregard this post, I misunderstood your response.

7 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

Regarding "sidegear" forcing only one orientation, you may take it for granted but I've studied that technique for years (not really, months probably). It's a legendary Squad dev magic, I only imparted such knowledge with few people... because only few people ask. But it's used to mirror parts properly - let me elaborate: If you put parts mirrored in SPH w/o this special config, it will attach the same thing on the other side as if it was rotated 180 degrees. This means the "bottom" part will face opposite side on the bulkhead [ ^Ov ] the arrows represent the orientation of the "bottom" which could be wheels as an example. At least the config fixes this by locking the bottom down, and the front forward, only mirroring the sides, thus it always faces the same direction regardless of rotation.

It should be technically possible to make a separate part with the mirrored orientation though, right? Just mirror the model in the front to back direction, and reuse the same config? (And then spend a week tearing out all of your hair trying to figure out why the wheels don't work :confused:)

Release 25

I updated. Finally. But I encountered same problem when I edited the OP as when I last updated Grounded too. I just put in an image and youtube link. I'll need to report the OP. Until then, I apologize for any inconvenience, if you are inconvenienced. I'll post the video and screenshot here. It's not a huge update, most of the time inbetween was waiting, but here it is. Here's the changelog:

Added Size 2 Non-Commercial Cockpit based on C-130 Hercules

Added Size 1 100-KE Auxiliary Power Engine based on Honeywell RE-100 and RE-220 APUs

Added Size 1.5 220-KE Auxiliary Power Engine based on Honeywell RE-220 APU

Added Size 2 131-9K Auxiliary Power Engine based on Honeywell 131-9A APU

-

Fixed issue where obsolete texture paths on landing gears cause NREs

Fixed issue where Kerbal Standard has a missing title

Fixed some landing gears having omitted aerodynamic changes when deployed/undeployed

-

Updated for 1.6.x

Screenshots:

ydqH0jB.pngjoluZoA.png1bwC0bj.png

Here's the APU in action, the electricity isn't actually used to power the gears, APUs have small thrust in it.

The APU is really mostly experimental. If any drastic change is needed, don't be afraid to put it in here. I hope you all enjoy, I'm not so sure if the update is needed since the pack works regardless anyway. But here it is. I'll go report the OP now. :P 

Thank you for the amazing work! I've been using the mod for a long time, but only recently started getting into helicopters. I spent about an hour trying to figure out why my controls were messed up, only to realize that I had to spin the main rotor around. That's when I also noticed that the blade angle pitch changes as you change your cyclic and collective inputs. Amazing! 

Hi! Love your work so far and everything works GREAT! The only trouble I've had was with the weaker engines and now that I'm using air-stream protective shells instead of fuel tanks and tail fins they're working fine! The only thing I think this mod needs are some irregular body parts, like these: (btw sorry for the large image) Image result for dieselpunk planeImage result for dieselpunk plane

I think that the high and tight profile would be a wonderful addition in the current wide and round world of Ksp body parts. Just a suggestion, not mandatory, I just think it would be interesting.

Thanks for your consideration!

(P.S. sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, just notify me)

7 minutes ago, buddysWorld said:

I think that the high and tight profile would be a wonderful addition in the current wide and round world of Ksp body parts. Just a suggestion, not mandatory, I just think it would be interesting.

Thanks for your consideration!

(P.S. sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, just notify me)

Oh yeah! Loved Crimson Skies -- If any progress is made on those Retro Future parts, they are in the right ballpark :)

@panzerknack That is exactly the case I was talking about, yes. And @neistridlar is right, having a duplicate part is the only way, and having it flipped other side.

@Bottle Rocketeer 500 On the current patch? It shouldn't have any difference now... I need to check it again.

@buddysWorld Yeah, it looks like the Mk3, which will be developed sooner or later, it's just a matter of time.

Also, thanks to the mod who edited my OP, it's back to normal now. :) 

So the Heavy Lifter cargo plane parts will go for R26.0?

Anyways, may I suggest Boeing 777 parts?

Spoiler

Because I'm (In the mean time) hoping for a more powerful Goliath :D

On 1/30/2019 at 3:04 AM, panzerknack said:

Thanks for the great feedback - I'm still trying to understand what you're saying here - are you saying this is a temporary solution to a bigger problem? It faces the same direction regardless of rotation, but the 'wrong' direction heh ; just so I'm sure im communicating it sufficiently - its an issue of chirality.

Initial attach cursor for sidegear, note direction backwards relative to cockpit (root part), chirality is left-handedUTmenLJ.jpg

After one press of q to rotate 90, chirality is now right-handed

sxr4lsL.jpg

After another press of q to rotate 180 in total, 

8rKg6uy.jpg

Correct right-handed chirality, but 180 degrees from intended position - pressing rotate twice again causes it to return to the first image.  I hope this makes sense - if you were saying before you're aware of all this, disregard this post, I misunderstood your response.

I actually experienced this before with the Kitty Rotor, but I assume the only way to solve this is to put an octagonal strut before the gears. Hopefully this works, since I've never tried it.

Anyway, trying out the update!

Does it still work with 1.6.0?

I miss those high speed flameouts... can you make an optional patch to reenable them?

The diagonal gear has a curved end near the wheel. It looks very fragile and like somebody just teared off the other end of the ly-10 gear and angled the wheel sideways.

X-1 rear wheels have "Diagonal" in description. C-130 rear wheels work and look the same, but doubler, but "Diagonal" is not mentonied!

The Size 2 Viewer's Cockpit 2 has its rear end untextured.

How can I assign ModulePartVariants to Concorde Cockpit? It has two main textures.

Edited by Gapone

For me,

On any game version, any modded wheel cause spawn bug (jump in the air) and suspension shake faster and faster (can be fix by tweaking parameters but it make the suspention useless). Some wheel part aslo act like they were clipping and get offset when spawning (sometime cause other parts to be offset). Also cause your craft to move around brake or not.

+Modded wheel don't like tweakscale

Edited by Mathrilord

37 minutes ago, Mathrilord said:

For me,

On any game version, any modded wheel cause spawn bug (jump in the air) and suspension shake faster and faster (can be fix by tweaking parameters but it make the suspention useless). Some wheel part aslo act like they were clipping and get offset when spawning (sometime cause other parts to be offset). Also cause your craft to move around brake or not.

Have you tried vessel mover? Last time I checked the latest version lowers your plane when it initially loads, mostly because of earlier issues unrelated to wheels, but it fixes that issue as well.

2 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

For me,

World Stabilizer helped with my bouncy/weird clipping wheels on new vessel launch.

Edited by Beetlecat

On 1/26/2019 at 11:52 AM, Beetlecat said:

Is anyone else experiencing AP+ landing gear falling through the runway on launch?  Retracting/redeploying the gear *does* allow the craft to hop back up on the wheels, but for some reason the initial launch of the vehicle pretends the gear isn't even there and the craft/plane just belly flops to the ground. Not sure if it was 1.6 or 1.6.1 where I first noticed this.

Proper bug report/logs forthcoming.

Tempted to say here my landing gears didn't do odd shenanigans if I enable Physics Range Extender, which elevates your craft while it does some stuff to the physics, then lowering craft to ground and everything's fine since them. They didn't even bounce afterwards.

I'm A 1.5.1 User...

Edited by FahmiRBLXian