blackheart612

[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

Recommended Posts

I'm experiencing a lot of missing textures in KSP 1.8.1  on Linux.

There was something on the release notes about DXT3 textures losing support.  Could this be the cause?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, Salvator said:

Hey, could anyone explain to me, how do the turboprop engines work? The Kitty only achieves max thrust on takeoff and in vertical flight, in level flight the thrust falls to 8.5 kN. The Predator behaves even more weird: in level flight the thrust rises above 15 kN during takeoff and then falls back to the aforementiones level. When pitching up the thrust rises, but once vertical, the thrust starts falling to some 15 kN. It should be capabale of 80 kN. Why do these engines behave like that?

They produce significantly less thrust over a certain speed. 
It's a standard behavior of propeller engines, but the turboprops are the only ones with enough thrust to reach that speed under their own power quickly in most designs.   This behavior is what makes propeller based planes fly so differently.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:54 PM, Manwith Noname said:

@blackheart612

Heads up. The stock nosecones have had a bit of a reshuffle so some of your cones configs are pointing to the wrong place. New path should be...


texture = placeholder , Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/Assets/Cones

You're just missing the Assets folder.

 

Edit: Oh wow, DXT3 textures too...I hope you have the original artwork so you can just re-export.

You can convert DXT3 to DXT5 losslessly with some quick conversion programs.  They use the same algorithm.  DXT5 just has a full separate Alpha channel.

Edited by Ruedii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Ruedii said:

I'm experiencing a lot of missing textures in KSP 1.8.1  on Linux.

There was something on the release notes about DXT3 textures losing support.  Could this be the cause?

I'm getting the same thing on windows.  I've deleted the install & re-downloaded the mod, will see if something got corrupted or wrong version or whatnot tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just yet another suggestion. Regarding landing gears.

  • Taller LY-35 landing gears (two heights; one being the height of LY-60 & another one being as tall as LY-99)
  • Shorter LY-60 & LY-99 landing gears (two heights for both LY-60 &-99; one being as tall as LY-10 & another one as tall as LY-35)
  • Shorter LY-35 landing gears (one being as tall as the KS X-1 landing gear, another one being as tall as the stock LY-10).
  • Short (and shorter?) version of the KS-FAT-29 landing gear. Basically has the height between the 'peak' of the wheel and gear well less than the diameter of the wheel.

Wheel size and count for the suggested landing gears above shall not change.

 

EDIT: Add these as well:

  • Size 1, Size 1.5, Size 3 (3.75m) & Size 4 (5m) versions of the Size 2 Radial Fuel Tank

Just scale it, which'll be good for non-Tweakscale users or challenge submissions involving Airplane+ parts with no Tweakscale allowed.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian
Zxcvbnm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 PM, Ruedii said:

I'm experiencing a lot of missing textures in KSP 1.8.1  on Linux.

There was something on the release notes about DXT3 textures losing support.  Could this be the cause?

I tried with a fresh download, and still getting the same missing textures.  One issue I found, the size 1 short tail connectors have a blank file labeled "placeholder" assigned as the texture.  As far as other missing textures, it appears to be primarily the early engines with no textures.  I only had a few minutes to look this morning, so I may be missing some other.

Edited by Cavscout74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

One issue I found, the size 1 short tail connectors have a blank file labeled "placeholder" assigned as the texture.

Placeholders are replaced with stock textures. But stock textures tend to move around after updates ending up in this:

[ERR 15:14:38.433] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture 'placeholder' as cannot find texture 'Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/Cones' to replace with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Manul said:

Placeholders are replaced with stock textures. But stock textures tend to move around after updates ending up in this:

[ERR 15:14:38.433] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture 'placeholder' as cannot find texture 'Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/Cones' to replace with

That makes sense.  I haven't even had a chance to look at my log for this issue yet.  I don't even have a definitive list of what textures are missing.   I was actually looking at the short tail cone for another reason & noticed the placeholder thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

List of what I've seen missing textures so far (I have pruned some of AP+ so I might not be seeing everything)

Spoiler

Engines:  RR "Count," WMB VI Vortex, 8A Spud, 9J Baron, K14 Divine Wind, K25 Cyclone, KB601 Tornado, K2800 Bumblebee, KM150 Silver Crow.   The Cyclone & Silver Crow were missing some but not all textures.

Tail Cones:  Size 1 A & B

I didn't confirm (or even try to) every one of them, but most of the engines show up in the log with the error:   "DDS DXT3(512x512, MipMap=True) - DXT3 format is NOT supported.  Use DXT5" 

Edit:  The size one tailcones are a different problem - the cfg points to the wrong location, like @Manul suggested.   It is missing the Assets folder in the location   Squad/Parts/Aero/Cones/Cones   Need to add "Assets/" between the cones/cones

Edited by Cavscout74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone managed to make v-22 engine work after robotics dlc update? All I can make it do is to flip uncontrollably. I play with FAR. I remember the engines worked perfectly well a year or so ago.

I know well how real v-22 is controlled but it would be nice to have some explanation what various sliders do. 

Edited by sashan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 11:39 PM, FahmiRBLXian said:

Just yet another suggestion. Regarding landing gears.

  • Taller LY-35 landing gears (two heights; one being the height of LY-60 & another one being as tall as LY-99)
  • Shorter LY-60 & LY-99 landing gears (two heights for both LY-60 &-99; one being as tall as LY-10 & another one as tall as LY-35)
  • Shorter LY-35 landing gears (one being as tall as the KS X-1 landing gear, another one being as tall as the stock LY-10).
  • Short (and shorter?) version of the KS-FAT-29 landing gear. Basically has the height between the 'peak' of the wheel and gear well less than the diameter of the wheel.

Wheel size and count for the suggested landing gears above shall not change.

 

EDIT: Add these as well:

  • Size 1, Size 1.5, Size 3 (3.75m) & Size 4 (5m) versions of the Size 2 Radial Fuel Tank

Just scale it, which'll be good for non-Tweakscale users or challenge submissions involving Airplane+ parts with no Tweakscale allowed.

I'd like most of the landing gear to have mesh-switch height choice (Tall, Medium, Short) 

They retain the same wheel size and shock length, and just adjust the strut length (and the retraction pod if the gear is retractable.)

On 11/15/2019 at 7:06 PM, Cavscout74 said:

List of what I've seen missing textures so far (I have pruned some of AP+ so I might not be seeing everything)

  Hide contents

Engines:  RR "Count," WMB VI Vortex, 8A Spud, 9J Baron, K14 Divine Wind, K25 Cyclone, KB601 Tornado, K2800 Bumblebee, KM150 Silver Crow.   The Cyclone & Silver Crow were missing some but not all textures.

Tail Cones:  Size 1 A & B

I didn't confirm (or even try to) every one of them, but most of the engines show up in the log with the error:   "DDS DXT3(512x512, MipMap=True) - DXT3 format is NOT supported.  Use DXT5" 

Edit:  The size one tailcones are a different problem - the cfg points to the wrong location, like @Manul suggested.   It is missing the Assets folder in the location   Squad/Parts/Aero/Cones/Cones   Need to add "Assets/" between the cones/cones

I'd go over to the github page and post a tracker issue, plus get started on fixes, but it seems he doesn't have one and his license forbids distributing changed versions, which prevents me from sending my fixed textures over the forums without his explicit permissions.

Maybe adjusting that license to be more permissive would let the increasingly capable community help with patches.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar detail to suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

I'd like most of the landing gear to have mesh-switch height choice (Tall, Medium, Short) 

They retain the same wheel size and shock length, and just adjust the strut length.

Mesh switching could be good, but there's one thing; the Non-DLC people who largely depend on mods for more part options (I'm a DLC people so I should be good). IIRC the variant switching like the one Making History provide isn't available in the base game.

But if you're talking about something that didn't involve DLCs (like having the inbuilt variant switching such as the one pn the Lotus which allows you to partially remove the pylon) it should be good. I mean, I'd  prefer different parts rather than the same part with several variants.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, Ruedii said:

You can convert DXT3 to DXT5 losslessly with some quick conversion programs.  They use the same algorithm.  DXT5 just has a full separate Alpha channel.

Kind of. DXT3 has a different algorithm for the alpha layer compared to DXT5. You can convert a DXT3 texture to DXT5 but depending on the original artwork, you may well be missing information. Yes, that information was missing in the DXT3 texture distributed within the mod, so you can say you as an end user who has been playing with the mod isn't missing anything but it would be nice to have the original artwork converted at source and getting the better results. The following spoiler contains an image that show two results of alpha layer compression, DXT5 on the left and DXT3 on the right.

Spoiler

B2D9035D79E1864EB101E0B1BF74A444EB7A1FAE

 

18 minutes ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Mesh switching could be good, but there's one thing; the Non-DLC people who largely depend on mods for more part options (I'm a DLC people so I should be good). IIRC the variant switching like the one Making History provide isn't available in the base game.

But if you're talking about something that didn't involve DLCs (like having the inbuilt variant switching such as the one pn the Lotus which allows you to partially remove the pylon) it should be good. I mean, I'd  prefer different parts rather than the same part with several variants.

Variant switching is a core feature of the game, no DLC required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nyarlathotep- Yep. Most of the time when a part is grey like that in KSP, it is due to missing textures.

There are quite a lot of texture issues with AP+ due to the fact it uses DTX3 for its textures. With the new unity update for KSP, they either no longer worked or squad decided to no longer support it for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, UltimateFlash15 said:

@Nyarlathotep- Yep. Most of the time when a part is grey like that in KSP, it is due to missing textures.

There are quite a lot of texture issues with AP+ due to the fact it uses DTX3 for its textures. With the new unity update for KSP, they either no longer worked or squad decided to no longer support it for whatever reason.

The current version of Unity no longer supports DXT3. They need to be converted over to DXT5 DDS textures. It was prominently mentioned in the 1.8.0 release notes, and Blackheart has already mentioned in this thread that he's aware of the textures issues. I'm sure once he has time to work on it, either he'll correct it, or he'll accept a PR from someone else who's already done it. Right now the best thing to do is either deal with the missing textures or continue playing in 1.7.3 until Blackheart releases the next update, and not bug him in the interim.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, panarchist said:

or he'll accept a PR from someone else who's already done it.

@blackheart612 I'm looking into converting some now and over the weekend.  Am I blind, or is the Github link not in the main post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

@blackheart612 I'm looking into converting some now and over the weekend.  Am I blind, or is the Github link not in the main post?

You're not blind, and I may have assumed - I don't know if Blackheart's mods are on Github.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blackheart612 I may have them all converted by the end of the night.  If you'd like them, let me know.

edit: Got the prop engines done.  I think it may just be the placeholder art for the Tail Connectors and Nosecones that's left to do.

Edited by klgraham1013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. Time to satisfy my curiosity. I notice there's a path in AP+ for an APU. Is this a separate part I'm overlooking, or is this part of something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out of country for an entire week so I had no chance to check at all. I figured I'm indeed getting quite busy and there seem to have a lot of minor changes needed. I'm going to have to take time to learn github for everybody's convenience now especially with the scale of the mods compared to before. I'm sorry if I wasn't too up to date especially since had to organize stuff when I returned too so it took some time. That said,

On 11/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, klgraham1013 said:

@blackheart612 I may have them all converted by the end of the night.  If you'd like them, let me know.

edit: Got the prop engines done.  I think it may just be the placeholder art for the Tail Connectors and Nosecones that's left to do.

I allow patches like these here just upload them for everybody for now while I figure out stuff on github since I have no idea currently. I'll get to it as soon as I can. There's still a back log of post I couldn't read it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blackheart612 I have a question to the Kp-12 "Bear" because when I fly my plane with four of these on they throttel down to around 120 kN and don´t  deliver the full 150 kN. But I checked I have a enough air intake and fuel. I already tinkert a bit with the part file and tried to fix this but regardles of what i do when i go a specific speed they throttle down.

If thise is a bug please fix it. But if it is intentend please show me how to change it so that the engiens always deliver the maximum thrust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carrier3000 said:

If thise is a bug please fix it. But if it is intentend please show me how to change it so that the engiens always deliver the maximum thrust.

This is how prop engines work in real life. Blades begin to stall, produce more drag and less thrust and as the airspeed increases the thrust drops to zero at some point (propeller is fully stalled). Situation is getting worse with increasing altitude because air is less dense. If you don't like how prop engines work don't use prop engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.