[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

17 hours ago, Titanis Industries said:

I think I have a solution. Since most fighter aircraft in the early 20th century had a similar frame to the Mk3 shape, could you add Mk3 size 1 parts and change some of the early and pre-modern Mk1 engines to that size? That might solve the overpopulation of Mk1 parts.

There's a reason why if you see the Mk3 sizes on those screenshots, you see Mk3S0, Mk3S1 and Mk3S1.5, all bulkheads will be there on next update. Now it's obvious what I'm planning for the future. :P

On 5/18/2018 at 4:40 AM, blackheart612 said:

Im back from the depths of wherever, still busy, where Im working at does not want me to go for a while + real life issues really squeezing me tight, Im playing games to ease up too. Anyway, that doesn't mean I haven't been developing but very slowly. Sorry if I haven't been updating a while. Here's a teaser for the future. Not yet done completely, a lot more to come. 

N8nY49K.pngauXZftJ.png

The size is an Mk3S3 but Mk3S1.5, it's a new bulkhead, basically an Mk3 with 1.875m diameter. 

So basically 1.25 width and 1.875 height!  Oh, perfect for those medium sized planes.   Any chance we could get some round 1.875 parts as well?  I always hate how the 1.25 parts are too small and the 2.5 parts are too big.

45 minutes ago, Bob The space Scientist said:

Can I have a link for the 1.3.1 version please?it's for personal use.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

The link's already available.  If you look at the OP of this thread, it shows that the mod is hosted on Spacedock.  One of the nice things about Spacedock is that all previous versions of a mod are always available for download.  Just go to the SpaceDock download page for the mod, and click on the "Changelog" tab.  It'll show you all the previous versions, with download links for each one, and which KSP version they work with.

Finally was able to completely quit my job. So now, I delve back in to development, full time. :D I really can't stand not being to develop for a long time because of my work. Though the monetary compensation is tempting, I shall stick to my passion. Maybe one day it will be enough too ;) 

Anyway, here's the update. Almost done with the set for the next update. Admittedly, it's a number of parts but it's mostly structural so you probably won't get much use to it other than designing, also just going to add one set of engines, which is a rotor and a tail rotor. Here's the rotor:
4TS6Two.pngbDzLThi.png
Needless to say, people probably will know the amount of possibilities adding an entire expansion of Mk3 for different sizes will do. As such, making everything for the next update will just take too long from a mod which is already at resting pace for two months+. So this'll be a taste of things to come. :) 

Just now, theonegalen said:

@blackheart612 I'm glad you were able to get more development time, but I sure hope you won't be going hungry for the sake of KSP development!

Have you ever considered working on a game project for yourself?

Well, I'm fine cause there's family to help, at least I get the chance to pursue what I like. Even though I look like I'm slacking cause I'm unemployed :P Anyway, there's patreon supporters like you and donations for starters and I might get into streaming games anyway. Makes me able to say that at least I'm earning a bit of money. For now, continued development is where it's at.

Testing today and as I finish the last part, it's going to get to config editing and finally be able to fix things like the drag cubes of previous parts. Also going to balance the upcoming parts.

EzGTUna.pngKvF7yoG.png

On 6/6/2018 at 9:19 PM, razark said:

I look at this one, and I can hear Fortunate Son playing.

Just now, Titanis Industries said:

Same here.

We'll put that under "Images you can hear". :P 

Anyway, it's great cause I was testing and making sounds for the rotors. And... well:

The config editing hell continues!

---

@TheLoneliestShyGuy Well... Firstly, the control rotors don't work as an engine, they just work when they're used to yaw the craft and oriented the right way (top facing left side). The next is... If I understand that statement correctly, why do you want to make the front of an Me-163 replica an engine? It's a RAT in real life, as I remember, or kind of an alternator in game. The Komet was rocket powered.

A interwar-like fighter using SM-Stryker, AirplanePlus and BdA + aviator's arsenall parts:

JP6YMgY.png

Wing size tweaked with 'tweakscale', ailerons and flaps by procedural wings. 

I use FAR too, so it has working flaps, and since FAR makes everything more difficult, the weight was capped at 4 tons (which already is a lot!) by adding only a couple of .50 machine guns from aviator's arsennal, diminishing the wing's structural strenght (a FAR feature) and bringing along only enough fuel for some 25 minutes of flight. 

It stalls at 45m/s, but only 35m/s with full flaps. Top speed is around 120m/s. Crappy performance for KSP standards, right? But actually quite good considering the weight, engine power, what it was designed for, and of course the extreme realism provided by FAR, which REALLY FORCES YOUR HAND to design sensible, realistic airplanes. (EDIT: so maybe it's no wonder it ended up looking so much like a real life plane. Needless to say, all Centers were properly placed, which influenced how it ended up looking). 

YqkoWDX.png

This is all 1.3 KSP or course. Half those mods haven't got into 1.4 yet and maybe never will. I am only posting this to show what can be done with half a dozen mods, this one in particular! Kudos to the dev!

Edited by Daniel Prates

Thanks for the mod - I'm enjoying it immensely. :) 

Just wondering if you know of the minor issue of some models not having the textures it's looking for? While the textures are working fine, there seems a few old textures that got baked into some of the cockpit & mk1door models. The Hercules landing gear is also affected with a bad path (no folder called sharedgeartex) - but I fixed those by removing the texture line in the CFG files.. I say this as there is no reference to the missing textures in any cfg files, so I assume it's within the model. There's a few errors that appear during game load, but these don't seem to effect gameplay at all. Let me know if you'd like specifics.

When you get around to it, (you probably already know this one), there might be a need to review of the part model for Mk1DroneDoor. It gets a bit of log spam  (15 x "Failure to create Convex Mesh" errors) during startup, but as I mentioned - nothing that affects game play. 

Correction - I tried to test just the Mk1DroneDoor part and it doesn't seem to want to spawn on the launchpad. I starts 1000m up and falls from there.

Thanks again for sharing the mod - it looks fantastic and I look forward to my new career game in seeing what I can make with these parts.

Edited by wile1411

On 6/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, YoloT47 said:

Just a question,

Which program do you use to make your parts? I am going to try making a stock-alike part and your parts blend in well with the game.

I can't talk for blackheart, but I can say this. What program you use is not very important, it is what you do with it that decides how it is going to look. This is the basic Idea for the textures:

Also, just look at the stock parts, and the stock textures. That should help get you started.

On 6/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, YoloT47 said:

Just a question,

Which program do you use to make your parts? I am going to try making a stock-alike part and your parts blend in well with the game.

Blendr, iirc, i used to do the config files way back, (blame me for the high speed flame outs lol), but yea, pretty sure it was blendr

@wile1411 Fire away, I've fixed the convex problems of the Drone Cargo Bay, upon release, we'll see if it fixes things (I can't replicate the issue)

@YoloT47 As Tanner Rawlings said, most people use blender, even I do, but that's just modeling, there are other alternatives, frequently asked on development threads of the forum too. But you also texture the model, which is mostly the reason why it looks stockalike, discussed on neistridlar's link.

9 hours ago, blackheart612 said:

@wile1411 Fire away, I've fixed the convex problems of the Drone Cargo Bay, upon release, we'll see if it fixes things (I can't replicate the issue)

Okie Dokie!

Parts /model expecting a AerojetKerbodyne texture:

• airbuscockpit
  • fighterinlinecockpit
  • oh6cockpit
  • oldfightercockpit
  • x1cockpit
  • Mk1Door
  • Mk1DroneDoor

Parts / model expecting additional textures, but don't seem to be required:

airbuscockpit - looking for a texture labelled 'placeholder' (Actual texture line in CFG  referencing b29cockpit part is commented out)

b29cockpit - has a bad texture line (See below)in the CFG (probably just needs to be removed as was done with the above part)
texture = airbuscockpittex , AirplanePlus/Parts/Command/airbuscockpit/airbuscockpittex

herculesgear - has an invalid texture path in MODEL module. Just removing it seems to fix it as the model probably already references the correct texture directly.   texture = herculesgeartex , AirplanePlus/Parts/Wheel/sharedgeartex/herculesgeartex

herculesfrontgear - has an invalid texture path in MODEL module. Just removing it seems to fix it as the model probably already references the correct texture directly.   texture = herculesgeartex , AirplanePlus/Parts/Wheel/sharedgeartex/herculesgeartex

For full clarity - the sharedgeartex folder should of been sharedgear if it was required. But as mentioned the textures seems to be referenced from the model already as removing this line still results in the correct texture.

In case you need the full error for the Mk1DroneDoor part that was complaining about a "Convex Mesh", I've added it below for reference. You mentioned you already fixed it, so it's only here in case you need to look back for it.

[ERR 20:36:42.021] Failed to create Convex Mesh from source mesh "". Source mesh is likely have too many smooth surface regions. Please reduce the surface smoothness of the source mesh. Alternatively turn on Inflate Mesh and increase the Skin Width sufficiently for this mesh.

Edited by wile1411

@blackheart612 I have a suggestion on a new part the mod, I was trying to recreate the banshee from starcraft 2 but it's rotors are blended into the wings, and all the other rotors I have cant do the job. maybe you can make that as the new rotor? Only if you want.

PS: The slanted gear is a life saver! Thank you very much for adding that!

@wile1411 Thanks, I'm near release for Release 22 so those won't be included yet but I'll look into em, having them compiled like that makes it easy.

@Nightguard Unfortunately, I base my creations off their real life counterparts especially the performance, so I can't make that, I may or may not have seen rotors like the banshee's somewhere in the forums but you'll have to make your own wings around it. You'll also have to find it first but I am unsure if it actually exists, just remembered wrongly.

Anyway, very close to release, I've been trying to improve sound design, I'm not particularly the greatest at it, but I've decided I'll include a change for the stock sounds. The patch is removable, just delete the patch folder, will be on the coming release!

Here's the Goliath's development demo:

26 minutes ago, blackheart612 said:

Anyway, very close to release, I've been trying to improve sound design, I'm not particularly the greatest at it, but I've decided I'll include a change for the stock sounds. The patch is removable, just delete the patch folder, will be on the coming release!

Here's the Goliath's development demo:

I can't wait! :D

Just found an issue with the size 2 Cargo bay, the "Open/close" is reversed, when it comes to deploy limiting, anyways. I set a limit on one, and rather than being open when limited, it's closed.

G1P7eVm.png

I also discovered an issue with BDArmory where bombs won't drop from a Size 2 bay, not sure why, though. Maybe it's just a me problem, but, I felt it'd be worthwhile to inform you.

Edited by DirtyVenomSteam

Just so you know that when i make an aircraft with a Mk1 size cockpit (from Kerbal Standard) in the SPH it always registers as a ship and not a plane in the tracking station, however when i use Mk2 or Size 2 cockpits (from Kerbal Standard) in the SPH it always registers as a plane in the tracking station, so please change the Mk1 cockpits so that aircraft using them will identify as planes just like in stock. So I wont have to go to the 'rename vessel' option on my cockpits and change them to planes every time.

Also the Mk1 cockpit lights (from Kerbal Standard) aren't automatically binded to the 'lights' action group like the stock cockpit lights are, but Mk2 and Size 2 cockpit lights (from Kerbal Standard) are automatically binded to the 'lights' action group just like the stock ones, so please change the Mk1 cockpit lights to be automatically binded to 'lights', because keep having to assign it every time myself.

Just letting you know for the next update if you are reconfiguring older parts, thanks! :) 

Release 22

Alright, here's the actual 1.4.x patch coming with a few parts. I've done a few background stuff. I've used @neistridlar's config edits and is actually included as author for those, though during tests, the parts still turn or roll to the side. I've changed all cockpits to Planes now @YoloT47, I've also added my own engine sounds to a patch for squad's that can be deleted on AirplanePlus/Sounds/Patch and it'll be gone for good if you don't like it. This is because @vardicd approached me about it. It's also good practice for using mm configs, who knows when there will be actual mod compatibility patches in the future :P Anyway, here's the actual patch notes (Also on OP):

Added MK3S1.5 Viewer's Cockpit based on the UH-1 Iroquois/Huey

Added L K53 "Valkyrie" Turboshaft Engine based on the UH-1 Iroquois/Huey as well as its tail rotor, L K53-S Control Rotor

Added sound patch for all stock jet engines (Can be deleted on AirplanePlus/Sounds/Patch)

-

Added Mk3S0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage

Added Mk3S0 Tail Connector A

Added Mk3S0 Tail Connector B

Added Mk3S0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage Junior

Added Mk3S0 to 0.625m Adapter

-

Added Mk3S1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage

Added Mk3S1 Tail Connector A

Added Mk3S1 Tail Connector B

Added Mk3S1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage Junior

Added Mk3S1 to 1.25m Adapter

-

Added Mk3S1.5 Liquid Fuel Fuselage

Added Mk3S1.5 Cargo Bay

Added Mk3S1.5 Structural Fuselage

Added Mk3S1.5 Liquid Fuel Fuselage Junior

Added Mk3S1.5-Mk3S1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage

Added Mk3S1.5 to 1.875m Adapter

-

Added 1.875m Liquid Fuel Fuselage

Added 1.875m Liquid Fuel Fuselage Junior

-

Changed name of KV2-117A Control Rotor to KV2-117A-S Control Rotor

Changed some of the hollow parts' drag cubes thanks to neistridlar

Fixed cockpits spawning as "Ships" instead of "Planes"

Fixed Mk1 Nose Trunk CRG-NT having convex collider problems making it spawn high

----

Enjoy your Hueys and whatever you might find use for the current number of parts added. The craft file should be available as soon as I can upload it (Click the images of Huey here or on the OP cover photo). I'll look into more of the existing issues, I'll fix em in no time.

HuaBcoD.pngKvF7yoG.png

Edited by blackheart612