Nostalgia thread

awfulhumanbeing

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

There were cars advertised with ~50 miles to the gallon!

That's actually an impressive number even by todays standards. Are you sure it wasn't 5mpg?

We had an original "Pong" console. Later we had a Colecovision (Zaxxon, Ladybug, QBert), while my cousin had an Atari 2600. I was introduced to the Apple IIe at school, with such wonderful games as "Choplifter" and "Wizardy." When my friend got an NES, it was sports games: "Blades of Steel," "Tecmo Bowl," and "SNK Baseball," as well as "Link" and "Ultima." Then came the Sega Genesis console, and the "NHL 94" and up series of games. There was also a series of chopper warfare games (Desert Strike, Urban Strike, Jungle Strike) which I quite enjoyed, and I wish there was a modern version. There was also a golf game that I can't remember the name of, but we'd play "Howie Meeker Golf" (He was a Canadian hockey broadcast analyst, who liked to use the 'Telestrator') After every hole, we'd "Stop it right there!" (save it) and after a bad shot it'd be ""k, now, back it up" (load save) That way we could get some wicked scores going. Like quicksaves in KSP :cool:

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That's actually an impressive number even by todays standards. Are you sure it wasn't 5mpg?

Nope. I think some little Isuzu had 48 highway. It probably wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell to pass emissions today, though.

I'm not as.. uh, *old*, as you guys, but I remember some stuff some of you might remember.

I remember playing this gem a lot:

need-for-speed-5-porsche-unleashed-2.jpg

I recently found the CD for it a couple weeks ago, and I have to say, it's handling isn't as bad as I expected compared to modern car games, like NFS Most Wanted and the like. I think it's because back in my day, games didn't try to force you to drift ever single turn in the road, so the game really made you feel like you were in control. Sure, it's not as good as Forza, but fun.

Also, Worms! What a fun little game! And it's still going today.

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2016 at 8:21 PM, razark said:

Ah, memories.

I remember how great it was when I finally got a computer with a 3.5 floppy drive.

one of my computers had an ls120 drive. but the disk quality was terrible and they would just eat data all day. also big hard drives were everywhere by that point. zomg 8 gigs! so the desire to move data 120 megs at a time seemed like a turnoff. cheap cd/dvd burners ultimately killed it. i still have stacks of unburned dvds in my room.  though one thing i did find i have in short supply is working cd/dvd drives. and the last optical drive in the house doesnt work. and today i seem to avoid using 32+ gig micro sd cards in favor of faster methods like network transfers. they usually end up getting used to install operating systems and havent done anything at all since i figured out how to pxeboot. i guess i can use them in raspis.

Edited by Nuke

I remember not too long ago, maybe 2012 give or take a couple years, building a new computer and the (new, mind you, it must have been some flavour of WinXP) version of windows I was installing was telling me that I had to install the RAID drivers from a floppy, there did not appear to be another option, for some reason.

The dang motherboard didnt even have a socket for a floppy drive.

(ended up losing all the data from my RAIDed harddrives - wasnt too fussed, it was mainly my games, no critical savegames to mourn. But still.)

Cut to a few years later, building my last computer, no floppy drive, no optical drive, case doesnt even have a slot for an optical drive. Got Win7 this time, everything ultra-modern, no old-fash floppies for me this time! No problem right?

Windows asks me to insert a USB key containing USB 3.0 drivers.

Before windows has itself installed ANY other USB drivers.

Yeah. 

I ended up having to buy a cheapskate optical drive, and have it dangling from the case by its wires whilst I install windows and the drivers it needs. When finished I removed the optical drive and it has never been out from under my bed since. (Oh, and have you ever tried to find advice on windows using an AppleMac? Yeah its not too easy! Amongst other minor niggling issues none of the automated links on Microsoft website worked!)

Installing W10 on my latest rig? Zero issues at all, easiest install ever, all drivers automatically updated, no input required from me at all. Maybe some things do get better :)

Edited by p1t1o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TV sci-fi: Space 1999 on Saturday mornings. Cringable now, but at the time... and Quatermass (ITV), post apocalypse with hippies, stone circles and hungry unseen aliens.

Non sci-fi TV: Edge of Darkness (BBC from the 80's... not to be confused with that GIbson tripe), The New Statesman (comedy) and Horizon (BBC2 science series) until the late 90's after which is wasn't itself... oh and Connections with James Burke (the first series was the best, especially this bit awesome of timing).

Games: Pretty much anything by Ultimate for the Spectrum (e.g. JetPac), Mario Kart on the SNES and the early WWII based Call of Duty series.

Movies: Close Encounters (for that warm fuzzy late 70's feel... with aliens), Raise the Titanic (ok... maybe just the bits with raising the ship and the music that goes with it) and Ice Station Zebra.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.