NASA's OSIRIS-REx

On 12/11/2018 at 10:46 PM, kerbiloid said:

e3395dcbb11de49f80dfd2d69409df20.jpg

I know I'm sort of derailing the thread, but I have known about this story for many years, as the first story to feature a sort of "Space station." And over the past few days (it's readable in one sitting but I had stuff to do) I've finally read it.

First off, this was pretty much expected, the orbital mechanics are completely whack. Second, the non-spacey physics (life support, propulsion, structural, acceleration) were also whack. But who cares, this was written in 1869 for Pete's sake! 1869! While it came after the much more accurate "From the Earth to the Moon," It was still before the telegraph, telephone, and incadescent lightbulb. During the tail end of, or shortly after the construction of the first transcontinental railroad. At the time, radio was a theory at best.

But I enjoyed it, and not just because I tend to enjoy space sci-fi of that era. It predicted a few things, if not accurately. And it also surprised me with deep meaning and a deep question, which pops up towards the end, which IMO is more relevant today than it ever has been.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1633 - First link if you want to read it.

Anyone have any other 1860's era space sci-fi besides Verne?

33 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I know I'm sort of derailing the thread, but I have known about this story for many years, as the first story to feature a sort of "Space station." And over the past few days (it's readable in one sitting but I had stuff to do) I've finally read it.

First off, this was pretty much expected, the orbital mechanics are completely whack. Second, the non-spacey physics (life support, propulsion, structural, acceleration) were also whack. But who cares, this was written in 1869 for Pete's sake! 1869! While it came after the much more accurate "From the Earth to the Moon," It was still before the telegraph, telephone, and incadescent lightbulb. During the tail end of, or shortly after the construction of the first transcontinental railroad. At the time, radio was a theory at best.

But I enjoyed it, and not just because I tend to enjoy space sci-fi of that era. It predicted a few things, if not accurately. And it also surprised me with deep meaning and a deep question, which pops up towards the end, which IMO is more relevant today than it ever has been.

The electric telegraph was most certainly a thing by 1869. 1869 was 11 years after the first transatlantic line and a second one was laid before 1869 as well. And maybe even a third, though I can’t say for sure.

12 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

The electric telegraph was most certainly a thing by 1869. 1869 was 11 years after the first transatlantic line and a second one was laid before 1869 as well. And maybe even a third, though I can’t say for sure.

Ahh, sorry, I meant to type phonograph.

18 hours ago, IonStorm said:

This will be the smallest object ever orbited.

Clearly, you have never orbited the magic boulder. :P

Anyway, I assume that we are in the part of the mission in which we search for potential landing sites? Here’s the orbital trajectories:

Animation_of_OSIRIS-Rex_trajectory_aroun

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 5:20 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Try to find this :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edison's_Conquest_of_Mars

10 minutes ago, IonStorm said:

And orbit has now been achieved

Congratulations! This sounds pretty tricky, given the low gravity and irregular shape. Out of curiosity, what's OSIRIS-REx's average orbital speed around Bennu? It has to be going pretty slowly, at least in spaceflight terms.

1 hour ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Congratulations! This sounds pretty tricky, given the low gravity and irregular shape. Out of curiosity, what's OSIRIS-REx's average orbital speed around Bennu? It has to be going pretty slowly, at least in spaceflight terms.

6 cm/s

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly all (OTES is on the way) data from the cruise and Earth gravity assist has been released to the Planetary Data System.  https://pds.nasa.gov/datasearch/subscription-service/SS-20190214.shtml  To view the image files you need a FITS viewer, such as the free DS9 http://ds9.si.edu/. The best images have been released already, but if you like messing with raw data, here is your chance.  If you didn't know, all NASA planetary missions publically release their data to PDS.  Bennu data will be in future releases.