Any way to fix the broken landing gear?

_Aramchek_

I suspect it has something to do with Kerbal impacts registering as landing gear stress.  Kerbals are just treated like a craft in the game.  However, realistically, no space craft landing gear should be broken by a Kerbal, they should be made of stronger stuff than that.  The lunar landers were very fragile things, but not that fragile.  It would have been pretty hard for an Apollo astronaut to break one of the landing legs unintentionally.

7 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I suspect it has something to do with Kerbal impacts registering as landing gear stress.  Kerbals are just treated like a craft in the game.  However, realistically, no space craft landing gear should be broken by a Kerbal, they should be made of stronger stuff than that.  The lunar landers were very fragile things, but not that fragile.  It would have been pretty hard for an Apollo astronaut to break one of the landing legs unintentionally.

Particularly since the ladder was on the leg :wink: 

52 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Unless the Kerbal's name was Klark Kent Kerman... then we might have a reason to believe that kerbals can break landing gear! :wink:

10 hours ago, RocketBlam said:

This is quite odd... I haven't had any issues with landing gear since 1.1.2 came out.

I'd be interesting in knowing what OS, etc, and if you've tried colliding with deployed landing legs (I haven't tested un-deployed), particularly off Kerbin (orbit is fine)). I have no idea about the wheels, I can't remember the last time I built an aircraft---it was a long time ago, well before 0.90.

It's 100% reproducible for many of us. Stock install. EVA, collide with legs, and the gear explode.

4 hours ago, tater said:

I'd be interesting in knowing what OS, etc, and if you've tried colliding with deployed landing legs (I haven't tested un-deployed), particularly off Kerbin (orbit is fine)). I have no idea about the wheels, I can't remember the last time I built an aircraft---it was a long time ago, well before 0.90.

It's 100% reproducible for many of us. Stock install. EVA, collide with legs, and the gear explode.

I'm on Win 7 64, and playing KSP 64-bit.

I have 12 GB of RAM, an i7 960, and Radeon R7 370.

So, not great hardware, but not awful.

I guess I wasn't clear about what happened. I haven't noticed a problem with Kerbals running into landing gear. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm going to Dres now, I'll test it there.

ETA: I just tested it at the launch pad, and I didn't destroy any landing gear, but running into the gear does impart severe physics effects on the Kerbal - in one case causing him to glitch out and explode. So yes, I have that problem too, it seems.

Edited by RocketBlam

Yeah, I tested at the launch pad, and it is hard to make it happen. I built a lander with the mk2 lander can, and put 3 of each type of gear on it, then ran around banging into it with an EVA kerbal. Eventually I blew all the gear up (tried some deployed, some not... actually, I wonder if it only occurs after a deploy (vs starting with them deployed on the launch pad).

On May 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM, SpaceplaneAddict said:

... have been affected by the Small Landing Gear (the one that can extend/retract) saying Blokced: Yes and then not deploying? I legit am forced to always ditch in the water, because my gear won't extend. Why? And how many of you are in a similar predicament?

ME.

Honestly not had much problem since the update.  In fact the Medium gear seems rather tough, though you guys taking off above 100 m/s (200 knots?!) are going to need strong landing legs.

The usual cause of a landing going bad is one wheel hitting first causing the plane to flip and some part of the structure to dig into the ground.  It seems there's more traction now and the fact there's some suspension means it's less likely to ricochet out of control or cause the wing to flex/break.

Has this been fixed?  Been using landing gear of (nearly) every variety with no issues for the past few days.  Not sure if I'm doing something wrong and/or just failing to notice the problem?

Edited by Slam_Jones

On 23.5.2016 at 7:28 PM, Alshain said:

I can confirm landing legs do explode if a kerbal bumps it in Windows 64 bit.  Not every time, but it definitely does happen.

Yes, the large legs tend to explode by this, weird bug. Has had it a lot on Minmus but weirdly not on Duna. 
Another issue I had on Duna was that an large lander was sliding down a 20 degree hill. not fast perhaps .3-2 m/s but very annoying. 
Seen this on Duna and Ike but not Mun or Minmus,  yes it might be random because of landing location. 
Another weird and illogical bug, had walking in old versions, if you have many over stressed legs some might bend then glip and reset causing other legs to take over, they too bend, glip and reset making the lander walking down an hill. this however is pretty realistic. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Yes, the large legs tend to explode by this, weird bug. Has had it a lot on Minmus but weirdly not on Duna. 
Another issue I had on Duna was that an large lander was sliding down a 20 degree hill. not fast perhaps .3-2 m/s but very annoying. 
Seen this on Duna and Ike but not Mun or Minmus,  yes it might be random because of landing location. 
Another weird and illogical bug, had walking in old versions, if you have many over stressed legs some might bend then glip and reset causing other legs to take over, they too bend, glip and reset making the lander walking down an hill. this however is pretty realistic. 

Happened to me. Solution? Lock Suspension

Too funny.

So I thought it would be fun to restart a career in 1.1. because I hadn't played in a long time. I have the dirt runway, very little money and the first tier of plane parts. Very difficult to make a functional plane taxi down the dirt runway fast enough to take off. Even with a tiny plane, any faster than 40ms will blow up the front gear. Forget about landing, even on the surrounding plains which are far more smooth than the supposed runway.  If this had been my first playthrough, I would be turned off in a big way. Not fun to progress through career without the use of planes.

Windows 8 64 bit 2gb vram 8gb bla bla bla

I get the exploding legs, but I also blow all my legs fantastically if I extend/retract them while already on the surface. Before they were usually able to "lift" a craft off the ground.

But at least they're not sliding around on other bodies. I've been accustomed to hitting f5 before going extra vehicular for a LONG time now, so maybe thats why i'm not as angry.

15 minutes ago, _Aramchek_ said:

Solution..devs need to fix the game.

they JUST talked like 4 posts ago about how its more than likely an issue with the engine and not the game itself. Rage much?

If you want to play a working version: it's called 1.0.5. This version is clearly unacceptable to you. If you read the devnotes, you will see that they are working on fixing the game. So this post amounts to "i'm sad and want them to fix it faster".

edit: you can even pretend that the devs stopped working on ksp alltogether and never grab another update beyond 1.0.5, if that is your perogitive. they really owe us nothing.

Edited by Violent Jeb

9 hours ago, Violent Jeb said:

they JUST talked like 4 posts ago about how its more than likely an issue with the engine and not the game itself. Rage much?

If you want to play a working version: it's called 1.0.5. This version is clearly unacceptable to you. If you read the devnotes, you will see that they are working on fixing the game. So this post amounts to "i'm sad and want them to fix it faster".

edit: you can even pretend that the devs stopped working on ksp alltogether and never grab another update beyond 1.0.5, if that is your perogitive. they really owe us nothing.

You seem to be the one raging, why you so mad I want the game fixed?  Seems a bit odd for you to be so defensive of the broken state of the game.

Landing gear is being worked on by the means currently available, which is also expected to improve as Unity is developed. And since this is starting to turn into a personal argument, let's leave the matter there, please.