Recover Orbitting Debri

Is this possible? If so what mods are required to do it? I\'m intrequed with the whole multiple flight thing and memory of them. I currently have Three Shuttles Orbitting all the planets and one Untitled Debri out there. Any help?

it is certainly possible, Look up guides for Rendezvous here inf the forums; there\'re a few good ones that\'ll help you rendezvous with any orbiting object. Using those and a specially designed craft with either a claw (possibly makeshift using lander legs) or something to blast them out of orbit, you can get them back out of orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tjfaxacmdvyor6y/b3o3e4aPdg

No shots of the landing because I was a fool and after the de-orbit burn seen, went above 2x warp, causing them to drift into each other, then panicking slightly I came out of warp and the physics kicked back in (duh) and you know what they say about two bits of matter occupying the same place at the same time..

..Should have worked, though. The capture craft went through lots of chute testing to make sure before the real thing ;)

Sure but how do I get it and what do I need for it? :P

You build your own craft. It\'s always the best way. Learning by doing and all that.

I\'m using parts from Damned Robotics, specifically.: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10662.0

Of course I guess this depends on the size and shape of the vehicle you want to recover, too, and if you want it in one piece back on the surface or just to get rid of it. If the latter, you may as well just use one of the laser plugins and blast it out of the sky! Otherwise you\'ll be looking to design something custom to do your specific job.

You build your own craft. It\'s always the best way. Learning by doing and all that.

I\'m using parts from Damned Robotics, specifically.: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=10662.0

Of course I guess this depends on the size and shape of the vehicle you want to recover, too, and if you want it in one piece back on the surface or just to get rid of it. If the latter, you may as well just use one of the laser plugins and blast it out of the sky! Otherwise you\'ll be looking to design something custom to do your specific job.

Is that all that I would need to create such things? I\'ll have a buddy of mine take a look as well as he likes to build. Thanks!

Is that all that I would need to create such things? I\'ll have a buddy of mine take a look as well as he likes to build. Thanks!

Well, the D.R. pack is what I use for the articulated claws. There\'s a mix of other parts packs in there, too - another reason I wouldn\'t just give you a .craft. You\'d need everything installed that I used.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0 and it\'s child board 'Plugin-Powered Releases' is your stop for bits and pieces.

Well, the D.R. pack is what I use for the articulated claws. There\'s a mix of other parts packs in there, too - another reason I wouldn\'t just give you a .craft. You\'d need everything installed that I used.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?board=37.0 and it\'s child board 'Plugin-Powered Releases' is your stop for bits and pieces.

That is completely understandable, a buddy of mine has been building some crafts for me and we\'ve been pretty hard on making sure we have the same mods, so if I build something I show him pics rather then the .craft so we are safe if I used a mod he doesn\'t have. We downloaded the one he linked me to and I\'ll leave it up to him to try that bit out, I\'m currently working on a Sat Mission using the CSS..

Generally you will want to think of these things before your mission leaves the ground. The best way to ensure this is to attach a Mech Jeb to every stage that -- according to your flight approach -- will be left in a situation where it won\'t normally reenter. After the flight, you can then simply take control of the debris and burn it retrograde back into the atmosphere.

Generally you will want to think of these things before your mission leaves the ground. The best way to ensure this is to attach a Mech Jeb to every stage that -- according to your flight approach -- will be left in a situation where it won\'t normally reenter. After the flight, you can then simply take control of the debris and burn it retrograde back into the atmosphere.

... You can do that?! Thanks for the advice bud, I\'ll do that for the Shuttle I\'m about to launch to the Mun carrying two Sats.

... You can do that?! Thanks for the advice bud, I\'ll do that for the Shuttle I\'m about to launch to the Mun carrying two Sats.

Yeah, it\'s always nice to have MechJebs there. You can\'t control your attitude, though, you can only control throttle. So wait until your ship actually drifts around to the correct attitude for your burn. When it\'s prograde, you\'ll want to wait half an orbit to deorbit something.

Yeah, it\'s always nice to have MechJebs there. You can\'t control your attitude, though, you can only control throttle. So wait until your ship actually drifts around to the correct attitude for your burn. When it\'s prograde, you\'ll want to wait half an orbit to deorbit something.

Hmm. I\'ll have to give it a shot. I don\'t predict any debri on these runs as I\'ll ditch the rockets pretty early in my launch like the real shuttle does. Thanks though!

Hmm. I\'ll have to give it a shot. I don\'t predict any debri on these runs as I\'ll ditch the rockets pretty early in my launch like the real shuttle does. Thanks though!

That\'s the best approach. Leave a very minimal amount of debris that actually orbits.

That\'s about as realistic as switching to debris and pressing \'end flight\'. :(

That\'s about as realistic as switching to debris and pressing \'end flight\'. :(

Not really. It could be a return home system.. They do exist out there, if you look hard enough.

That\'s the best approach. Leave a very minimal amount of debris that actually orbits.

Yeah, it seems to be going as planned except for the fact I can\'t get these Power Tech Sat Devices to stay ontop of the CSS Shuttle upon takeoff.

Actually, the best way is to plan your flight and staging so that all jettisoned debris is in a sub-orbital trajectory (Either Kerbin, Mun or Minmus). Redundant MechJeb units are for amateurs. ;)

Actually, the best way is to plan your flight and staging so that all jettisoned debris is in a sub-orbital trajectory. Redundant MechJeb units are for amateurs. ;)

A.) I\'m a few dozen levels below amateur! XD

B.) What did you just say? O_O. XD

C.) There isn\'t really a C.

A.) I\'m a few dozen levels below amateur! XD

B.) What did you just say? O_O. XD

C.) There isn\'t really a C.

I\'ll give you an example for a Mun landing flight.

Typically for me it would be something like this:

1st stage takes me out of atmo. Dropped before reaching orbit. If I have any cargo shrouds or the like, I drop them out of atmo here, too.

2nd stage boosts to apogee if 1st stage wasn\'t enough and then performs orbital insertion around Kerbin.

2nd stage performs the TMI burn to take us to the Mun and then inserts into orbit when we get there.

2nd stage then performs the first part of the braking burn and is jettisoned so it will impact the surface.

Descent stage then performs the final braking and descent maneuvers.

You land on the Mun with no debris left in orbit. All debris is separated at such times when your trajectory will hit the surface of something.

Add more stages if you need, but I find for most things, anything more than 4 main stages (stages where engines fire, to exclude cosmetic things like panels or aeroshells) is sub-optimal.

Ah okay, makes sense. I\'ll try it out. I just did a Shuttle Launch which carried two PowerTech Sats to the Mun. Upon takeoff I lifted until the Gravity Turn and aprox 3 seconds after the SRB\'s disengaged which automatically fell to the earth. I got to approx 90,000 before releasing the Orange Tank (I forget the name) and began coasting to the Apoasis. I continued to watch the Trajectory of the Orange Tank and watched it as it should automatically turn down into Kerbin and it eventually crashed into the water. At this point I had no other jettison events so I orbitted a full circle and went on my way to the Mun. I deployed both Sats after about 2 days in full orbit to give them some space. I made my way back manually and am currently orbitting Kerbin, awaiting \'clearance\' for landing.