I Want to Move Mun

SteveD80

You could try Kopernicus, which would enable you to change the characteristics of the planets and moons. You can't do it with rockets because celestial bodies are "on rails" and cannot be moved from their orbits.

Edited by cubinator

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

You could try Kopernicus, which would enable you to change the characteristics of the planets and moons. You can't do it with rockets because celestial bodies are "on rails" and cannot be moved from their orbits.

I know, and someone did the math to show that even if Minmus wasn't it would take forever to deliver the gas to give it 1 delta v,  I don't want to rearrange things, I'm just complaining, and wondering if anyone else has issues with Mun constantly getting in the way.

Well, as a thought experiment Scott Manly did a video a while back about what it would take to de-orbit the Mun. The short answer is that even with the most efficient engines, it would take almost the same amount of fuel as the Mun weighs, which is totally impractical. 

As trying to do it in the game, @cubinator is right, all moons and planets are on rails and cannot be moved, no matter how much fuel you throw at the problem. 

My suggestion would be instead of letting the Mun "get in the way" use it for a gravity assist. Free dV! 

To avoid the mun effectively warp so it's beyond you, or just burn past it.

9 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

My suggestion would be instead of letting the Mun "get in the way" use it for a gravity assist. Free dV! 

That's often more costly in terms of DV than efficient.

You're both right.  I should have played with it to see if I could save some gas, but there is a good chance that my waiting for an opening was the correct solution.  It's not too important the last of my orbital stage will get me into Eve's atmosphere, and my life support supplies seem to have about an extra two thirds of a year knock on wood.

3 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

My suggestion would be instead of letting the Mun "get in the way" use it for a gravity assist. Free dV! 

It got in the way on one of my Minmus missions, when i Was plotting return maneuver, this gray guy appeared and wanted to shoot my rocket almost vertically into Kerbin.

Yeah, free d-V.

9 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

To avoid the mun effectively warp so it's beyond you, or just burn past it.

9 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

That's often more costly in terms of DV than efficient

I wasn't trying to say that you should make a point out of using the Mun for gravity assists every time. 

My point was more like "since everything already happened to line up such that it's in your way, adjust your burn by only a few m/s and get an assist out of it." 

I did an asteroid redirect scenario once, and the Mun was extremely annoying, kept changing the orbit of the asteroid. It occasionally messes up interplanetary transfers, but that's just poor planning from my side, it's as simple as launching a bit earlier or later.

In my experience, Mun has been really helpful in asteroid redirection scenario: I could use it to lower the orbit and save time with annoying aerobrakes.

For example, last time I did that, I managed to lower the orbit from an aphelion of 75Mkm to one at the same height of Mun orbit in just one flyby.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.