[1.1.2][1.0.5][WIP]KOSMOS updates

Bezzier

KOSMOS%20main%20logo.png

Hi there everyone!

Raidernick, who is the maintainer of the KOSMOS SSPP mod, was kind enough to give me permission to join the Kosmos Team to help.

I'm currently in the middle of rebalancing the SSPP parts for KSP 1.0.5-1.1.2.  This will be release 0.16 when complete. To be clear, this pre-release should work with KSP 1.0.5 and is definitely intended to work with KSP 1.1.2, 1.1.1, and 1.1.0.

You can find the dev branch of my fork at https://github.com/Bezzier/KOSMOS/tree/dev where I'm looking for people interested in testing the stock balance of some proposed changes. It feels right to me, but now I'm at the point I would like to see some people using Kosmos SSPP with stock to look at it and see if they're happy or not, before we proceed with another release. The direct link to the pre-release is at: https://github.com/Bezzier/KOSMOS/releases/tag/v0.16-prerelease.3

The official released version (currently 0.15) of the KOSMOS SSPP mod is and will continue for the foreseeable future to be released at https://github.com/raidernick/KOSMOS, but there is no new release thread in the forums as of now.

Changes are:

• Added tags to parts for editor searching
  • gave APAS-69 the size apasSize1 instead of size1, so it won't try to dock with the stock CoT
  • removed animation from APAS-69. This results in the fins constantly being deployed ready to dock, and also in fixing the docking axis problem that has plagued the part since the mod was released. Hope to re-integrate this animation and add a soft-dock animation in the future, but at least now there is a working docking port
  • Added a functional radiator to the TKS monopropellant tanks
  • adjusted drag/strength values for parts to be inline with stock
  • adjusted entryCosts, and techNodes to more closely match stock
  • adjusted maxTemp, cost, mass to keep maxTemp about 200K above stock
  • Brought monopropellant engines slightly closer in Isp to stock monopropellant engine
  • Adjusted monopropellant quantities in tanks to match volume of tanks ***** THIS IS A MAJOR NERF OF MP CAPACITY
  • Added MP tanks internally to FGB and TKS Command Section to attempt to claw back some capacity for TKS/VA and TKS-derived ships (MIR/Zarya analogues)
  • Changed FGB's always-on-generator to a switchable monopropellant fuel cell
  • Adjusted center of mass for VA Command Pod downward

Please give me some feedback if you think the balance needs work, or if you think you can suggest a fix for the animations on the APAS-69.

KOSMOS SSPP and KOSMOS URM and their derivatives remain the property of the KOSMOS Team, and are, as always, distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported license. You are permitted to redistribute the parts in their original form, so long as this disclaimer is bundled with them. You may not modify Kosmos parts without verified permission from Kosmos Team, and you will not be permitted to sell Kosmos-derived work. For more information on this license, please visit this page: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

Thank you all in advance for the help. I'm looking forward to a bright future for Kosmos.

Edited by Bezzier
Added new pre-release

This has always been my favorite parts pack in KSP.
Downloading now and will give feedback once i've toyed around with the parts some. Anything in particular that you'd like looked at?

Edited by volkkeslate

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, volkkeslate said:

This has always been my favorite parts pack in KSP.
Downloading now and will give feedback once i've toyed around with the parts some. Anything in particular that you'd like looked at?

@volkkeslate, Thanks for the question. The biggest changes in the rebalance were the weight of the parts and the monopropellant supply. Because of that, I'm particularly interested in everyone's feel for the available delta-V on both historical style craft and custom/new build craft. Also, if it feels like anything is missing, this is a good chance to bring it up.

13 hours ago, helcustom said:

For some reason the game stops loading at the Salyut part.

@helcustom, I need more information to support you. Does it happen even if KOSMOS is the only mod installed?  What other mods do you have?  Does it produce an error log?  Is it only the dev version, or does release 0.15 have the same problem? I'm happy to try to figure it out, but I need to know more than just that it doesn't load. Can you please send me more information?

Edited by Bezzier

@Bezzier I haven't gotten to do a ton of testing with all of the parts yet but I did build a small ship with about 890Delta-V, after getting it into a circular orbit with 646Dv left i sent it off to the Mun, circularized and then brought it back to kerbin with about 80-90Dv to spare.

So these new monoprop capacities feel about right while still leaving some wiggle room, especially compared to the old capacities. (i probably could have gotten to duna on those!)

I have a few other ideas and suggestions for other things though. Would you prefer that i submit those on the Github?

2 hours ago, volkkeslate said:

@Bezzier I haven't gotten to do a ton of testing with all of the parts yet but I did build a small ship with about 890Delta-V, after getting it into a circular orbit with 646Dv left i sent it off to the Mun, circularized and then brought it back to kerbin with about 80-90Dv to spare.

So these new monoprop capacities feel about right while still leaving some wiggle room, especially compared to the old capacities. (i probably could have gotten to duna on those!)

I have a few other ideas and suggestions for other things though. Would you prefer that i submit those on the Github?

@volkkeslate, thanks for the feedback and the question. I'm hoping others will feel the balance is ok now too.

as far as where to submit ideas and suggestions, probably GitHub is the best way to document them to be sure that there is an easily accessed history of their disposition, including discussion and debate.

Mind you, a good idea on the forum won't be rejected just because of where it is posted. I would like discussion of each item, after it is proposed, to be on GitHub though.

@volkkeslate, don't worry.  Those sorts of things happen to all. The best place on GitHub to go to make suggestions, place bug notices, share workable ideas, ask questions about features, etc. is https://github.com/raidernick/KOSMOS/issues, where you can use the "New Issue" button to start a new issue for each of those things. Again, that's not to say that I'm not interested in seeing what's on the forums, but Git helps us track each item individually.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:07 PM, volkkeslate said:

did a little bit of buoyancy testing on a whim, http://imgur.com/a/Z7qt0

only part that visually looks a bit off is the VA command pod, though that's due to the attached heatshield and all it's abalator.

Nice! Glad to see it all working out!

Speaking of the VA command pod, there is a new pre-release with the CoM adjusted for that pod. You can find it at https://github.com/Bezzier/KOSMOS/releases/tag/v0.16-prerelease.3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/16/2016 at 1:48 PM, ArkaelDren said:

Holy crap I'm so happy to see this again.  WHERES ALL THE SUPPORT Community???  This is one of the legendary packs from days gone by.  Show some love and hope and maybe Raider will get this up to speed for 1.2.1.

Thx Raider

From Oregon, Dren

you're part of this community too, fyi

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 1:48 PM, ArkaelDren said:

Holy crap I'm so happy to see this again.  WHERES ALL THE SUPPORT Community???  This is one of the legendary packs from days gone by.  Show some love and hope and maybe Raider will get this up to speed for 1.2.1.

Thx Raider

From Oregon, Dren

We're almost there, my branch currently works with the exception of two of the tapered parts not loading. Still poking at them to try and figure out what's wrong with them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.